Doping/enhancement drugs in the NBA?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

CoachKobe
Rookie
And1: 312

Re: Doping/enhancement drugs in the NBA? 

Post#21 » by CoachKobe » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:11 pm

oj mayo had such a case back in 2011. he was tested positive for dhea. same what rashard lewis took.

both were suspended for 10 games, means: for like 20 days.

when a cyclist is tested positive for ped, he gets suspended for 2 years.

nba is a joke.
thunderforce
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,136

Post#22 » by thunderforce » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:15 pm

I would bet most of the players are taking something , normal people just are not that big or ripped and I am not talking about height .
ricochet
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#23 » by ricochet » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:16 pm

konceptonthamic wrote:While in the aftermath of the who Lance Armstrong situation, my girlfriend and i are talking about if this sorta stuff happens in the NBA as well. I know that the NBA has policies against using enhancement drugs, can someone give me the guidelines of this policy. My girl says that players like Lebron and Kobe probably do it, but I find that hard to believe. Which players have been found guilty, and does this stuff happen alot?

Thanks guys

Everyone does it..
All the way from 70's.. From the all-time the basket-ball God's like LeBron, MJ, Kobe, Shaq to scrubs like Rashard Lewis.

Ask yourself this. If the testing is weak and some players use it, why won't everyone else?
osamu
Starter
And1: 249

Post#24 » by osamu » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:19 pm

there is a misconception with PEDs and looking like Hulk Hogan. Taking Steriods doesn't make you look like Serge Ibaka unless you train that way...
osamu
Starter
And1: 249

Post#25 » by osamu » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:20 pm

thunderforce wrote:I would bet most of the players are taking something , normal people just are not that big or ripped and I am not talking about height .

speak for yourself
jstnw89
Starter
And1: 159

Post#26 » by jstnw89 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:21 pm

osamu wrote:
thunderforce wrote:I would bet most of the players are taking something , normal people just are not that big or ripped and I am not talking about height .

speak for yourself
fresko024 wrote:LOL u mad because Knicks are logical fans.

KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,401

Post#27 » by KL78192020 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:31 pm

Who cares, just legalizes PEDs. Lets see how good they can be, and level the playing field.
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#28 » by MellowRose » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:34 pm

ozzykhan16 wrote:Who cares, just legalizes PEDs. Lets see how good they can be, and level the playing field.

Lol, people actually have a conscience and believe in something called religion. You can brush those people who don't want anything to do with drugs under the rug, but that would definitely not be leveling the playing field.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,504

Post#29 » by GSP » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:41 pm

Do u even lift?
Deathray
Junior
And1: 109

Post#30 » by Deathray » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:43 pm

osamu wrote:there is a misconception with PEDs and looking like Hulk Hogan. Taking Steriods doesn't make you look like Serge Ibaka unless you train that way...

That's true but it's also exceedingly tough to keep muscle mass during a long NBA season without PEDs - that's what I posted above about hormone levels. The extreme physical exertion required during an NBA season should mean players lose bulk as the season goes on.
thunderforce
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,136

Post#31 » by thunderforce » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:47 pm

osamu wrote:

speak for yourself

I have lifted weights most of my life , I could bench over 300 lbs and weigh about 155 and I always looked in shape but only a little bigger than someone that never lifted weights at all . These guys are freaking huge and are for sure taking something . I am sure there are a few that don't take anything but probably more do than don't .
losetowin
Sophomore
And1: 80

Post#32 » by losetowin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:13 pm

If you think PED use in the NBA isn't rampant you are hopelesssly naive.

If you could take a pill and earn fame and fortune for almost zero risk, would you?

David Stern doesn't want a tough testing program because he knows what would result.
SaveTheHens
Analyst
And1: 1,816

Post#33 » by SaveTheHens » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:18 pm

ahunterknight wrote:
stro wrote:Rashard Lewis got booked a couple years ago, he's never been the same since. And he's a pretty skinny dude, not your stereotypical 'roid head' so who knows how prevalent it is? I think it was something to do with enhancing recovery time.

Accept dhea isn't an anabolic steriod. I swear people need to research before saying bull

Doesn't it lead to an increase in sex hormones, including testosterone, which is an anabolic agent?
maxpower88
Senior
And1: 174

Post#34 » by maxpower88 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:18 pm

PEDs are a lot more prevalent in professional sports than we're led to believe. The thing is that people look for all the wrong signs, they assume that if a player doesn't have huge arms with veins popping out then he's not on PEDs.
anorexorcism
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#35 » by anorexorcism » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:20 pm

LeBron, Wade, and Howard are definitely on roids. No question IMO. The injury breakdowns in the case of Wade and Howard are telltale signs. LeBron's breakdown will also be coming soon.
Apathy
Banned User
And1: 39

Post#36 » by Apathy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:24 pm

TorontoBaller wrote:I bet 90% of players have used in the last year.

You need skill to excel in the sport, but the wear and tear on those really long / poorly proportioned bodies would require the HGH and whatever else guys use.

There's too much money at stake not to have had it corrupted by PED's.

Agreed.
SaveTheHens
Analyst
And1: 1,816

Post#37 » by SaveTheHens » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:25 pm

thunderforce wrote:
osamu wrote:

speak for yourself

I have lifted weights most of my life , I could bench over 300 lbs and weigh about 155 and I always looked in shape but only a little bigger than someone that never lifted weights at all . These guys are freaking huge and are for sure taking something . I am sure there are a few that don't take anything but probably more do than don't .

You're using a personal anecdote to base your conclusion. There's different bodies, different receptor sensitivities to hormones, different hormonal levels in everyone. Some guys in the NBA may be doping, but I think most big guys in the NBA have just been naturally gifted with ideal hormone levels along with hard work.
Apathy
Banned User
And1: 39

Post#38 » by Apathy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:32 pm

Deathray wrote:A cardio intensive sport like basketball, with the demanding NBA schedule, really depresses hormone levels (testosterone, growth hormone, erythropoietin), so it makes a lot of sense to take PEDs to keep those levels stable.

Would you mind elaborating? You're establishing a link between a rigorous fitness regimen and depressed hormones. I'd like to learn more about this. I work out a lot (although obviously not anywhere near the level of a professional athlete) and I don't want my hormone levels to depress.
Mobby
Analyst
And1: 424

Post#39 » by Mobby » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:59 pm

MellowRose wrote:
ozzykhan16 wrote:Who cares, just legalizes PEDs. Lets see how good they can be, and level the playing field.

Lol, people actually have a conscience and believe in something called religion. You can brush those people who don't want anything to do with drugs under the rug, but that would definitely not be leveling the playing field.

I don't... waiiit... oooo, you're good. :clap:
Frank Mulely
Head Coach
And1: 649

Post#40 » by Frank Mulely » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:28 pm

Apathy wrote:
Deathray wrote:A cardio intensive sport like basketball, with the demanding NBA schedule, really depresses hormone levels (testosterone, growth hormone, erythropoietin), so it makes a lot of sense to take PEDs to keep those levels stable.

Would you mind elaborating? You're establishing a link between a rigorous fitness regimen and depressed hormones. I'd like to learn more about this. I work out a lot (although obviously not anywhere near the level of a professional athlete) and I don't want my hormone levels to depress.

what i heard it's because you are burning through more nutrients and generally your body goes into a kind of safety mode when you exercise that much...for instance female athletes who do sports like long distance running often lose their periods.
Shv3d wrote:
Frank Mulely wrote:Honestly if this was the 80s

The official motto of RealGM.

Return to The General Board