yardbarker

Grizzlies trade Speights to CLE

Moderators: Morten Jensen, Blame Rasho, Flash3, tsherkin, magnumt, UGA Hayes, Basti, KingCuban, Yuri Vaultin, NO-KG-AI

Post#106 Re: Grizzlies trade Speights to CLE
Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:59 pm by ferk

Grizz sign Chris Johnson and west.
ferk

Rookie
And1: 224

Post#107 Re: Grizzlies trade Speights to CLE
Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:05 pm by POWER

I've read that they will sign D.West and Bill Walker. That's a pretty backup players over here
God has a god complex
POWER
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#108 Re: Grizzlies trade Speights to CLE
Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:17 pm by dolphinatik

Well Cleveland imo has no excuses now they got5 exactly what they needed in a Big and a sg. They shouldnt be as bad as they are. I think they can try to make a run to pull .500 and grab the 8th seed. Its a stretch but Speights can step in for Varejao and Ellington and Selby should be able to provide scoring. They seriously have the shortest roster and need to start incorporating their bigs.
@gowatchthis
dolphinatik
Analyst
And1: 87

Post#109 Re: Grizzlies trade Speights to CLE
Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:20 pm by teamgrizz

Yea, I think Cleveland did come out well in the deal. They really didn't lose much. I don't think you guys would like Speights, though. He gave his best effort here because Lionel Hollins demanded it. I'm not sure if he will return back to his old 76ers self or what in Cleveland.

Selby still has a lot of potential and he just needs a chance. Not to mention, you guys did get the pick. Ellington provides more shooting for your squad.
teamgrizz
Sophomore
And1: 5

Post#110 Re: Grizzlies trade Speights to CLE
Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:22 pm by TheOUTLAW

You actually think that this deal was supposed to propel the Cavs into the playoffs? It strengthens their bench, but that's about it.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#111 Re: Grizzlies trade Speights to CLE
Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:23 pm by ManualRam

dolphinatik wrote:Well Cleveland imo has no excuses now they got5 exactly what they needed in a Big and a sg. They shouldnt be as bad as they are. I think they can try to make a run to pull .500 and grab the 8th seed. Its a stretch but Speights can step in for Varejao and Ellington and Selby should be able to provide scoring. They seriously have the shortest roster and need to start incorporating their bigs.

what? these guys are hardly game changers.
they're still gonna be really bad.
jazzfan1971 wrote:Boozer had a reputation as a low post threat. But, it was all smoke and mirrors. He was never much of a threat in the post.
ManualRam

RealGM
And1: 1,139

Post#112 Re: Grizzlies trade Speights to CLE
Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:25 pm by sisibilio

dolphinatik wrote:Well Cleveland imo has no excuses now they got5 exactly what they needed in a Big and a sg. They shouldnt be as bad as they are. I think they can try to make a run to pull .500 and grab the 8th seed. Its a stretch but Speights can step in for Varejao and Ellington and Selby should be able to provide scoring. They seriously have the shortest roster and need to start incorporating their bigs.

Not sure if serious, they should be like the best team in the league for the 2nd half of the season to get close to .500.
They got Marreese Speights and Wayne Ellington, not Bill Watlon and Reggie Miller.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN
sisibilio
Lead Assistant
And1: 247

Post#113 Re: Grizzlies trade Speights to CLE
Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:25 pm by POWER

The playoffs? Well that's a huge reach. They will need to win 75% of their remaining games to be in the consideration for making the playoffs, which is impossible for them..
God has a god complex
POWER
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#114 Re: Grizzlies trade Speights to CLE
Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:38 pm by No Offense

teamgrizz wrote:Yea, I think Cleveland did come out well in the deal. They really didn't lose much. I don't think you guys would like Speights, though. He gave his best effort here because Lionel Hollins demanded it. I'm not sure if he will return back to his old 76ers self or what in Cleveland.

Selby still has a lot of potential and he just needs a chance. Not to mention, you guys did get the pick. Ellington provides more shooting for your squad.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. The Cavs are a bad team with or without backup big man Marresse Speights.
No Offense
Assistant Coach
And1: 252

Post#115 Re: Grizzlies trade Speights to CLE
Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:39 pm by mg

C'mon..the Cavs aren't making the playoffs. Even with a healthy Varejao they weren't making the playoffs.

I'm guessing Speights will play well since this is a contract year for him similar to Hickson in Portland.

Ellington gives them some depth on the wing. They were giving Shaun Livingston backup minutes at SG fwiw.

I don't see how Selby gets much run behind Kyrie and Dion.

The future pick is just another asset for the Cavs. They need to hit their draft picks or package them for a young stud to pair with Kyrie. The Cavs and Washington are 2 teams that need to start putting talent around their stud PG's and start winning.
mg
Veteran
And1: 112

Post#116 Re: Grizzlies trade Speights to CLE
Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:33 pm by INKtastic

They would have to finish the season 31-9 to finish .500
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 179

Post#117 Re: Grizzlies trade Speights to CLE
Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:43 pm by SoulClap

I hope this means that Selby will finally get some playing time. I'm interested in seeing what he can do. He seemed to address a need in the Memphis (shooting) and he still couldn't find his way into the rotation.
SoulClap

Senior
And1: 32

Post#118 Re: Grizzlies trade Speights to CLE
Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:38 pm by Roger Murdock

This trade doesn't keep Memphis under the tax next season so they will still have to make a cap clearing move, they just delayed it a bit.
Roger Murdock
General Manager
And1: 100

Post#119 Re: Grizzlies trade Speights to CLE
Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:47 pm by C_O_N_Spiracy

mg wrote:C'mon..the Cavs aren't making the playoffs. Even with a healthy Varejao they weren't making the playoffs.

I'm guessing Speights will play well since this is a contract year for him similar to Hickson in Portland.

Ellington gives them some depth on the wing. They were giving Shaun Livingston backup minutes at SG fwiw.

The future pick is just another asset for the Cavs. They need to hit their draft picks or package them for a young stud to pair with Kyrie. The Cavs and Washington are 2 teams that need to start putting talent around their stud PG's and start winning.

This.

Collecting draft picks doesn't matter though if you keep drafting the likes of Tristan Thompson, Dion Waiters and Tyler Zeller.
C_O_N_Spiracy
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#120 Re: Grizzlies trade Speights to CLE
Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:51 pm by jefe

SoulClap wrote:I hope this means that Selby will finally get some playing time. I'm interested in seeing what he can do. He seemed to address a need in the Memphis (shooting) and he still couldn't find his way into the rotation.

He could never stay in front of his man, and Hollins benches players quickly if they can't matchup on the defensive end.
jefe
Head Coach
And1: 45

Post#121 Re: Grizzlies trade Speights to CLE
Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:52 pm by HappyBrownie

C_O_N_Spiracy wrote:
mg wrote:C'mon..the Cavs aren't making the playoffs. Even with a healthy Varejao they weren't making the playoffs.

This.

Collecting draft picks doesn't matter though if you keep drafting the likes of Tristan Thompson, Dion Waiters and Tyler Zeller.

here we go again...
HappyBrownie
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#122 Re: Grizzlies trade Speights to CLE
Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:03 pm by TheOUTLAW

C_O_N_Spiracy wrote:

This.

I was actually quite happy with Tristans 21-9-5 tonight.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#123 Re: Grizzlies trade Speights to CLE
Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:06 pm by Alan Ogg

I was actually quite happy with Tristans 21-9-5 tonight.

I finally sold my autograph Thompson RC tonight because of that game. :lol:
Alan Ogg
Senior
And1: 38

Post#124 Re: Grizzlies trade Speights to CLE
Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:12 pm by branny

No way
NaturalThunder wrote:OKC killing Serge's MVP candidacy...2-0 without Ibaka on the season.
branny
Assistant Coach
And1: 27

Post#125 Re: Grizzlies trade Speights to CLE
Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:13 pm by hamek

C_O_N_Spiracy wrote:

This.

Tristan Thompson has played really well filling in for Varejao, he's averaging 14/12 over the last 30 games and is a good defender. Waiters is having a similar year to Bradley Beal, the 3rd pick, as of right now, and while Beal hasn't had a real point guard next to him, he should at least be averaging more points per game since the Wizards lacked a real dominant scorer. There also haven't been shooting guards playing better than him, and Barnes, while playing well defensively, hasn't exactly been playing well offensively, and it's not like defenses are focusing on him. Tyler Zeller is a project big, and it's not like there are Centers drafted after him who are playing better than him...
83SixersRocked wrote:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:Any team willing to give up a top 3 protected Lottery pick for Shawn Marion?

Despite the site name we're not real GMs.
hamek
Junior
And1: 4

PreviousNext

Return to The General Board