What's Lillard's ceiling?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Apathy
Banned User
And1: 39

Re: What's Lillard's ceiling? 

Post#21 » by Apathy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:39 pm

What he is now.
9abovetherim
Banned User
And1: 73

Post#22 » by 9abovetherim » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:54 pm

DRose.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,031

Post#23 » by MrBigShot » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:56 pm

BadWolf wrote:Billups was a top end defender, while lillard is very bad at that end of th ball. Billups was a much better shooter. He was never a really prolific scorer, while Lillard is as score first as they come.
I don't really see the similarities there.
Maybe a poor mans Arenas?

Their similarities lie in the fact that they are both very capable shooters, pretty good off the dribble and he's already shown to be a pretty solid floor general who has a high BBall IQ. Chauncey could take over games at times too btw. I remember so many quarters where he would go out and score 16, 17 points while dominating the other PG off the pick and roll and post ups.

There are differences between them in that Chauncey is/was obviously way stronger, a bit bigger and a better defender. I think Lillard will eventually be an average defender. He's learning the NBA game this year.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#24 » by MellowRose » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:09 pm

mj234eva wrote:
DragicTime85 wrote:
StatLine wrote:TMNT

Kids nowadays using urban words that many cant understand the meaning. TMNT? trying to find the meaning of that on google and only thing I can find is " teenage mutant ninja turtles".

He's saying Westbrook :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I was thinking the same thing Dragic85. LMAOO, this made my day :lol:
mj23foreva
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#25 » by mj23foreva » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:11 pm

MellowRose wrote:
SoulInTheHole7 wrote:
MellowRose wrote:Derrick Rose? I haven't seen him play much, but I do know his athleticism is nowhere near Rose's, but he can work on that.

You can't work on athleticism. You either have it, or you don't.

Lillard isn't without athleticism. But no, he isn't the athletic freak that Rose and Westbrook are.

So when athletes work out in the gym, they're doing what exactly?

I dunno...strength and conditioning? Footwork? SHooting? Defense? Skills? Athleticism is a whole different beast. You cant just take an nonathletic person and make them athletic. You think you can just turn a dirk into a durant? Athleticism is a gift youre born with. You can improve it by mastering what you already have but you cant have more. Its like height. You can improve how to use your height to your advantage but you cant get more height.
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#26 » by MellowRose » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:20 pm

mj23foreva wrote:I dunno...strength and conditioning? Footwork? SHooting? Defense? Skills? Athleticism is a whole different beast. You cant just take an nonathletic person and make them athletic. You think you can just turn a dirk into a durant? Athleticism is a gift youre born with. You can improve it by mastering what you already have but you cant have more. Its like height. You can improve how to use your height to your advantage but you cant get more height.

You can work on your explosiveness, first step, and vertical jump, and how you finish at the basket - All things Rose does phenomenally, and all things Lillard can work at to become the next Rose.
Goldtop
Banned User
And1: 165

Post#27 » by Goldtop » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:30 pm

I love the Billups comparison offensively, but Chauncey was an elite defender. Lillard will need to improve a lot on that side to get to Billups level.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#28 » by nuposse04 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:37 pm

Arenas with better shot selection, possibly a better distributor as well.
Rubberduck
Sophomore
And1: 5

Post#29 » by Rubberduck » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:40 pm

Jesus you people are naive, you can't simply expect him to hit the gym and gain pre-injury Rose-esque athleticism, the human body simply does not work that way. Genetics set your potential, and he'l never have that freakish athleticism that Rose and Westbrook posses. They were just born with it.
HelloBrooklyn
Rookie
And1: 68

Post#30 » by HelloBrooklyn » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:46 pm

I know I will get a lot of crap on what i'm about to say but I don't think he is as good as his stats say. I think he is definitely over achieving because of the lack of weapons the Blazers have. Talent wise he is just above average. If he plays in a descent team with lots of talent, he is probably 3-4 option. I say he is only a step above Mike Conley. (i.e. middle of the pack PG)
Rotanimod
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#31 » by Rotanimod » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:48 pm

Lillard has an admirable pace to his game.

He plays at his own speed, and doesn't have to depend on athleticism to be effective in his role.

He's also a fantastic shooter for his position, and can make plays. It can't be emphasized enough that he also has a gnack for hitting big shots, when they matter. Being a rookie in this league, that will only get better with time. He had a big shot at NYK to lock the win, and he consistently is dependable in crunch time.

Barring injury, he will be in the top 5 PG's for a decade, and he's rookie of the year lock already. He was an absolute steal at the number 6 pick. I knew it after watching his pre-draft workout videos on Youtube. The guys' shot is money everywhere, and he's super athletic.
Rotanimod
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#32 » by Rotanimod » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:51 pm

Let's put it this way, I wouldn't take pick 1-5 over Lillard right now.

Hindsight is 20/20
sanctum
Junior
And1: 204

Post#33 » by sanctum » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:51 pm

Less overrated Deron Williams
LascelleL
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,996

Post#34 » by LascelleL » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:51 pm

mj234eva wrote:
DragicTime85 wrote:

Kids nowadays using urban words that many cant understand the meaning. TMNT? trying to find the meaning of that on google and only thing I can find is " teenage mutant ninja turtles".

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I just got it
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#35 » by nuposse04 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:54 pm

Rotanimod wrote:Let's put it this way, I wouldn't take pick 1-5 over Lillard right now.

Hindsight is 20/20

He's better than them all right now, but he doesn't have the ceiling of Davis, MKG or Beal. They desperately need a bench for him, I personally think they're asking a lot of him in his rookie campaign.
Moose10Fan
Veteran
And1: 2,551

Post#36 » by Moose10Fan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:56 pm

He doesn’t have the ceiling of Drummond either. who’s ceiling is the biggest of all this years draft choices.
Cro_Ruption
Sixth Man
And1: 93

Post#37 » by Cro_Ruption » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:58 pm

HelloBrooklyn wrote:I know I will get a lot of crap on what i'm about to say but I don't think he is as good as his stats say. I think he is definitely over achieving because of the lack of weapons the Blazers have. Talent wise he is just above average. If he plays in a descent team with lots of talent, he is probably 3-4 option. I say he is only a step above Mike Conley. (i.e. middle of the pack PG)

i'll agree and im a blazer fan

he's in the tier of Jrue Holiday, Conley etc
SharoneWright wrote:I would not trade Bargs for Roy.

Monster or no.

i said it. And I live in a flame retardent suit.
StatLine
Veteran
And1: 1,723

Post#38 » by StatLine » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:00 pm

DragicTime85 wrote:

Correct.
StatLine
Veteran
And1: 1,723

Post#39 » by StatLine » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:01 pm

mj234eva wrote:
DragicTime85 wrote:

Yeah
BigLurch92
Analyst
And1: 1,005

Post#40 » by BigLurch92 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:22 pm

With improvements to the Blazers and him continuing to develop his game, I can see him having a solid 21/7/3 season in the next 1-3 years which is pretty good. I mean, he is already at 18/6/3 right now.

Return to The General Board