Stephen Curry 15 years from now

Moderators: Morten Jensen, NO-KG-AI, Knickstape1214, Flash3, magnumt, Blame Rasho, tsherkin, Yuri Vaultin

User avatar
TaylorMonkey
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,901
And1: 1,072
Joined: Nov 30, 2010
 

Re: Stephen Curry 15 years from now 

Post#16 » by TaylorMonkey » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:27 pm

Frank Mulely wrote:One thing Nellie knew how to do was draft. I was laughing when he fell to us, no chance he was getting past old Yeltsin-West.

As for Steph's future, either his ankles hold and he's a HOF and at least a top-3 shooter all-time or his ankles don't hold and he'll be a commentator.

I don't think Steph will be a commentator. He mumbles way too much. I can see Lee or Barnes doing that, however.
nickforthreee
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,412
And1: 167
Joined: May 06, 2012

Re: Stephen Curry 15 years from now 

Post#17 » by nickforthreee » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:57 pm

guys just to clarify to whoever was mentioning larry bird, steve nash, peja, and dirk to me they are all def top 10 shooters all time but what im saying is i couldnt make an argument for any of them to hold that #1 spot. ray and reggie right now are the only ones to me who could be considered the absolute best due to everything i said before, shooting a high volume on a high percentage, able to come off screens and move without the ball, able to be extremely clutch, and score 20+ points while doing it. able to be efficient and also having the ability to hit extremely difficult shots. and by no means do i think curry is better than any of them right now, im saying how good could he be.... im not sure he can pass those 2 guys but i think he could be a top 5 shooter of all time imo.
User avatar
shawngoat23
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,540
And1: 143
Joined: Apr 17, 2008

Re: Stephen Curry 15 years from now 

Post#18 » by shawngoat23 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:14 pm

His kid is going to be warming up with him shooting threes before a game.
penbeast0 wrote:Yes, he did. And as a mod, I can't even put him on ignore . . . sigh.
User avatar
Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,264
And1: 495
Joined: Oct 28, 2005
Location: RealGM
   

Re: Stephen Curry 15 years from now 

Post#19 » by Young_Star11 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:31 pm

Just an amazing shooter. Not sure how his ankles hold up because it is clear who the team MVP of Golden State is.
User avatar
DreDay
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,288
And1: 1,061
Joined: May 30, 2011
   

Re: Stephen Curry 15 years from now 

Post#20 » by DreDay » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:43 pm

What is really impressive is that a lot of his 3 pointers are off the dribble where he creates space then shoots. It's a low percentage shot but Curry hits them at a very high rate. There was a great article on hoopshype which showed this.
Image
User avatar
Al Swearengen
Starter
Posts: 2,281
And1: 626
Joined: Jan 25, 2010
Location: "Welcome to f***ing Deadwood!"
       

Re: Stephen Curry 15 years from now 

Post#21 » by Al Swearengen » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:36 am

With a thread title like this, it had to be done:

Image
Image
Sleep
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,978
And1: 301
Joined: Feb 07, 2006

Re: Stephen Curry 15 years from now 

Post#22 » by Sleep » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:51 am

No Chris Mullin?
User avatar
StocktonShorts
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
Posts: 12,613
And1: 2,021
Joined: Jun 02, 2009
     

Re: Stephen Curry 15 years from now 

Post#23 » by StocktonShorts » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:58 am

I've seen a lot of "Steph Curry is the greatest shooter ever" threads and tweets lately. Usually those are the types of discussions you have AFTER a guy has played 10+ years, not after ~200 games.
Image
nickforthreee
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,412
And1: 167
Joined: May 06, 2012

Re: Stephen Curry 15 years from now 

Post#24 » by nickforthreee » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:51 am

StocktonShorts wrote:I've seen a lot of "Steph Curry is the greatest shooter ever" threads and tweets lately. Usually those are the types of discussions you have AFTER a guy has played 10+ years, not after ~200 games.


definitely didnt say that. asked do u think he will be in the conversation 15 yrs from now. big difference. personally i dont think he will ever pass ray and reggie but i think he can make a case for top 3-5 all time
User avatar
Flash Falcon X
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,316
And1: 905
Joined: Oct 19, 2010
 

Re: Stephen Curry 15 years from now 

Post#25 » by Flash Falcon X » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:19 am

I doubt Curry will even be able to play big minutes 10 years from now. He's a PG and that position will take a toll on his body since he'll be trying to run the team. His age will make him a liability and as a result he won't be playing as much which will lower his 3pt attempts.
Image
#DubNation
User avatar
StatLine
Starter
Posts: 2,048
And1: 885
Joined: Jun 30, 2011
 

Re: Stephen Curry 15 years from now 

Post#26 » by StatLine » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:29 am

15 years from now, he'll still have bad ankles
User avatar
Ian4
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,885
And1: 229
Joined: Dec 27, 2005
Location: Toronto
 

Re: Stephen Curry 15 years from now 

Post#27 » by Ian4 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:34 am

Frank Mulely wrote:
SacTown916 wrote:No love for Peja?


biggest choker imaginable. being a great shooter includes hitting big shots IMHO.

you need to stop posting for the day
User avatar
Axel
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,579
And1: 152
Joined: Jul 14, 2007
Location: Raleigh

Re: Stephen Curry 15 years from now 

Post#28 » by Axel » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:14 am

Jeff Hornacek would like to make a case:



So would the best 3pt shooter in the NBA today:

Image

Image
User avatar
JoseRizal
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,399
And1: 166
Joined: Oct 21, 2010

Re: Stephen Curry 15 years from now 

Post#29 » by JoseRizal » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:18 am

StatLine wrote:15 years from now, he'll still have bad ankles

This. I'm not even sure he'll reach 15 years playing... but he's an elite shooter nonetheless.
nyhuskyfan
Senior
Posts: 666
And1: 126
Joined: Jul 06, 2007

Re: Stephen Curry 15 years from now 

Post#30 » by nyhuskyfan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:32 am

I'm a Ray Guy (heh heh, that one never gets old), but there is one player in my lifetime who I think I'd take over him and who everyone always forgets, since his career was tragically cut short as he was hitting his prime. If Drazen Petrovic got an open look, and the ball did not go in, I was stunned.

Ray always hurt his percentages in his prime - the Seattle years especially - by taking ridiculously high degree of difficulty threes all the time. He'd fade over double teams, shoot when curling off a screen without squaring, pull up from 28 feet on a secondary break, etc. Although Curry does the same sort of things, too.
User avatar
TaylorMonkey
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,901
And1: 1,072
Joined: Nov 30, 2010
 

Re: Stephen Curry 15 years from now 

Post#31 » by TaylorMonkey » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:44 am

Axel wrote:Jeff Hornacek would like to make a case:

So would the best 3pt shooter in the NBA today:

Image

By what measure?

Curry's the second leading shooter in percentage and volume this season. He's only 4 behind Ryan Anderson and the most accurate of the volume shooter guys. Bonner has a higher percentage but shoots about a fifth of what Curry does.

Korver has a lower percentage on a third less makes. Curry also blows him away on career percentages.
User avatar
Brovva Blaqq
Pro Prospect
Posts: 991
And1: 66
Joined: May 26, 2012
 

Re: Stephen Curry 15 years from now 

Post#32 » by Brovva Blaqq » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:05 am

Frank Mulely wrote:As for Steph's future, either his ankles hold and he's a HOF and at least a top-3 shooter all-time or his ankles don't hold and he'll be a commentator.


I agree.

Strangely enough I don't like or appreciate Curry's game at all... :oops:
7.7.14 - RIP DJ Panther, we will miss you.
Galis4
Sophomore
Posts: 186
And1: 0
Joined: Jun 18, 2008

Re: Stephen Curry 15 years from now 

Post#33 » by Galis4 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:53 am

nickforthreee wrote:There to me have only been 2 guys that you could consider for greatest shooter ever and those would be Ray Allen and Reggie Miller. They in my opinion are head and shoulders above everybody else when you factor in shooting, coming off screens, moving without the ball, clutch factor etc.... but man Stephen curry i feel like in 15 years he could be in the conversation with those guys as one of the best ever to shoot it. I could watch him shoot it all day, in fact i think he has the nicest looking stroke ever besides jesus shuttlesworth. So what do you guys think? Barring injuries can this guy make it into that conversation? I think he could pass reggie millers makes but depending on how much longer ray ray plays that record might be hard to beat.



In 15 years from now you feel.....? :o :D
Let 5 years pass and then we can have some "data" to talk.

You all seem to forget the incredible Steve. Steve Kerr. OK ok he wasn't a starter and his weapon was mainly the 3s, but we are talking about ability to shoot so his unbelievable 3 years of having more than 50% at the 3 point area with a very very good amount of shots attempted and the overall 45.4%(!!!!), is something that shouldn't go unnoticed. He was the most consistent shooter i have seen, although not with a big repertoire. :D But it doesn't matter, personal ability to create own shoots etc, is irrelevant in this conversation as we are talking about the best shooter.
And Kerr with 5 rings(kinda irrelevant), with clutch championship winning shots and 45.4% at the 3pt line in the end, is a very good case.
User avatar
TaylorMonkey
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,901
And1: 1,072
Joined: Nov 30, 2010
 

Re: Stephen Curry 15 years from now 

Post#34 » by TaylorMonkey » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:31 pm

Galis4 wrote:
nickforthreee wrote:There to me have only been 2 guys that you could consider for greatest shooter ever and those would be Ray Allen and Reggie Miller. They in my opinion are head and shoulders above everybody else when you factor in shooting, coming off screens, moving without the ball, clutch factor etc.... but man Stephen curry i feel like in 15 years he could be in the conversation with those guys as one of the best ever to shoot it. I could watch him shoot it all day, in fact i think he has the nicest looking stroke ever besides jesus shuttlesworth. So what do you guys think? Barring injuries can this guy make it into that conversation? I think he could pass reggie millers makes but depending on how much longer ray ray plays that record might be hard to beat.



In 15 years from now you feel.....? :o :D
Let 5 years pass and then we can have some "data" to talk.

You all seem to forget the incredible Steve. Steve Kerr. OK ok he wasn't a starter and his weapon was mainly the 3s, but we are talking about ability to shoot so his unbelievable 3 years of having more than 50% at the 3 point area with a very very good amount of shots attempted and the overall 45.4%(!!!!), is something that shouldn't go unnoticed. He was the most consistent shooter i have seen, although not with a big repertoire. :D But it doesn't matter, personal ability to create own shoots etc, is irrelevant in this conversation as we are talking about the best shooter.
And Kerr with 5 rings(kinda irrelevant), with clutch championship winning shots and 45.4% at the 3pt line in the end, is a very good case.

Kerr, as good as he was, had a few years with the shortened 3 point line. If you take those years away, then Curry's current career average exceeds his. Curry also takes many more per game than Kerr did. If you qualify and normalize the stats, Curry's on pace to be the greatest long range bomber. Even more impressive is that most of his shots are unassisted.
User avatar
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,679
And1: 129
Joined: Jun 29, 2012

Re: Stephen Curry 15 years from now 

Post#35 » by TwentyOne920 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:04 pm

And unlike many 3 point specialist Curry shoots a significant percentage of his bombs off the dribble. :o

He's not just a catch and shoot guy like Korver/Novak/Bonner.
bertrob wrote:Any casual fan saying anything about Tim Duncan is usually wrong


bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.

Return to The General Board