Are the Lakers done being an "elite" Franchise?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

ShowTimeERA
Assistant Coach
And1: 208

Re: Are the Lakers done being an "elite" Franchise? 

Post#81 » by ShowTimeERA » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:52 pm

Joao Saraiva wrote:Isn't Dwight nowadays considered a franchise player? I still think he is.

He needs to get healthy first and foremost..
Apathy
Banned User
And1: 39

Post#82 » by Apathy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:15 am

Yes.

According to The Los Angeles Times, the Lakers held a "loud" clear-the-air meeting Wednesday that included Kobe Bryant directly asking Dwight Howard if Howard disliked playing with him.
According to the report, the meeting started with coach Mike D'Antoni telling the team he was tired of hearing them complain about the offense and ordering them to start playing defense. At one point during the meeting, Bryant then confronted Howard, but the big man reportedly reportedly "didn't go back at Kobe." Add this to the trade rumors, rumblings over D'Antoni's job security and mounting losses and it appears the Lakers' five-ring circus has reached its pinnacle. No one knows where it will go from here, but it's obvious to us something needs to change in L.A.
PetroNet
Banned User
And1: 136

Post#83 » by PetroNet » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:18 am

Hook_Em wrote:First of all, stop giving me that look..

Secondly, they're historically the best franchise in NBA history but I'm talking about on-the-court results for the next decade plus...

But, for the last 33 years the Lakers have had a franchise player from their rookie seasons for 28 of them in Kobe and Magic. Bryant, while still a great player is aging and I don't see him playing into his late-40's with all the wear and tear. He's played over 51,000 minutes between the regular/postseason.

On to the current situation:

- Kobe, Nash, Pau and Peace are 32+
- Dwight has been a disappointment and will probably leave this summer
- Mike D'Antoni is a mediocre coach and they can't fire him because they're still paying Mike Brown
- Buss JR is running the organization and he's come under criticism
- Going forward they're not the best team in their own arena

Counter-argument is everyone said the Lakers would never be the same after Magic retired and Shaq was traded to Miami and they've gone thru 2 dynasties since then. So, will the Lakers be a mediocre team for the next decade-plus or will they find some way to get Lebron/Irving/Love like they always do...?

what a joke of a topic....

lets see, rich team in a large market that stars will always want to flock too...

yea i dont see a 20 year drought coming any time soon
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,102

Post#84 » by JB2 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:22 am

with all disrespect, this thread is (Please Use More Appropriate Word)
Celticfan_N_FL
Analyst
And1: 1,026

Post#85 » by Celticfan_N_FL » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:32 am

Unless they are unlucky enough to see two would-be perennial all-stars/superstars drop dead I doubt it.

Although, what no one has mentioned up to this point, is the new CBA will hamper their chances of collecting major talent at one time like they've done in the past.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#86 » by Dr Aki » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:37 am

Celticfan_N_FL wrote:Unless they are unlucky enough to see two would-be perennial all-stars/superstars drop dead I doubt it.

Although, what no one has mentioned up to this point, is the new CBA will hamper their chances of collecting major talent at one time like they've done in the past.

nothing helps poaching major talent like having only dwight and nash on the books and 30 million in capspace for summer of 2014

but even before we get to that, there's 70 mil in expiring next season for the lakers to use as trade chips
SaveOurBullets
Rookie
And1: 103

Post#87 » by SaveOurBullets » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:12 am

420 wrote:I can't imagine a player that wouldn't want to play in LA, so I doubt it. They'll be back.

I still want to hear specific names. They can't sign a superstar if he doesn't exist.
^I agree
deNIEd
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#88 » by deNIEd » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:22 am

SaveOurBullets wrote:
420 wrote:I can't imagine a player that wouldn't want to play in LA, so I doubt it. They'll be back.

I still want to hear specific names. They can't sign a superstar if he doesn't exist.

Agreed with this.

There is a difference between an "elite" franchise and a good/great franchise in my mind.

LA is likely fading away from the "elite" status, at least for the next few years. They will likely return back to this level when they can obtain their next superstar.

LA has been able to secure superstars for their roster (Magic, Kareem, Shaq, Kobe, etc.), but there are only a handful of superstars in the league (top 3-5 players in the league). Players like Lebron or Durant would make LA "elite" again, but they don't look to be going anywhere in the near future. LA could easily obtain 2-3 allstars or even max players, but it just doesn't hold the same weight and wouldn't be the same. (LA with Kobe in his prime vs LA with Rondo/Smith/Dwight...difference in performance, prestige, image, and many other factors).
gusman
Analyst
And1: 355

Post#89 » by gusman » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:27 am

TwentyOne920 wrote:They'll continue to be in the lull until they can entice the best big man in the league to play for them.

Andre Drummond????
Illogicality
Bench Warmer
And1: 210

Post#90 » by Illogicality » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:30 am

JesusHCoxMd wrote:All I know Lakers fans aren't as loud on General Boards no more.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#91 » by thamadkant » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:35 am

ShowTimeERA wrote:
Joao Saraiva wrote:Isn't Dwight nowadays considered a franchise player? I still think he is.

He needs to get healthy first and foremost..

He's leading the league in rebounds..

HE IS HEALTHY...98% atleast....
Grabbing rebounds need strength, jumping ability, reaction etc.. he's saying he isnt 100% because his stats overall are down.. but he is at the very least 98%.

he just cannot score consistently because they are treating him like Tyson Chandler (Kobe anyways)
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#92 » by BubbaTee » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:01 am

Dr Pepper wrote:"If we've learned anything from professional sports over the years, it's that nobody can inflict more damage on a franchise than an incompetent owner. Just look at how the Maloofs destroyed basketball in Sacramento, or what James Dolan did to the Ewing era, or what Donald Sterling did for his first 25 years with the Clippers. There's a really good chance that Jimmy Buss might be THAT bad"

- Celtic homer Bill Simmons via Grantland article about Lakers struggles http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8872264/lakers

Time will tell but considering the ownership's drama with Phil Jackson and rushed coaching hires the Lakers could be the Knicks 2.0

Jim Buss is Fredo. The Lakers are going through what would have happened to the Corleone family if Fredo became Godfather instead of Michael.

The Lakers need to take Jim Buss fishing...
sprint2thecup
Pro Prospect
And1: 53

Post#93 » by sprint2thecup » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:06 am

i'd rather have david lee, right now. dwight doesn't demand the ball or dominate. dwight can't give you 20 ppg, even though he SHOULD give you 25 ppg. howard is totally lackluster, and he costs 19 million.
real gm logic;
"kobe scored 48 points tonight"
"^small sample size"

Return to The General Board