Austin Rivers has historically worst season so far

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Darain
Lead Assistant
And1: 39

Re: Austin Rivers has historically worst season so far 

Post#41 » by Darain » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:35 am

Still would beast on anyone posting on realgm
crowd goes wild wrote:Joel Anthony. Dude could probably give you around 27 ppg if he wasn't playing along side Chris Bosh.

I'm not a Kobe fan
nhh90 wrote:Kobe hasn't been doubled in a game since 07-08 season.
Bertrob
RealGM
And1: 8,821

Post#42 » by Bertrob » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:36 am

Darain wrote:Still would beast on anyone posting on realgm

why is that relevant
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,059

Post#43 » by MrBigShot » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:46 am

bertrob wrote:

why is that relevant

Seriously. Every NBA player would style all over anyone from realgm, but nobody says that in other threads.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,421

Post#44 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:05 am

LHead2 wrote:This is what the D-League is for. Rivers shouldn't be playing the NBA game right away. He could potentially become a pretty good player, but right now he has no business playing full NBA speed against full NBA talent. He needs to be learning the NBA game against comparable talent.

Not at all. It's clear Rivers cannot be a star in the NBA, so what he has to learn to do is be a role player. He's not going to learn that in the D-League next to inferior talents.

Truthfully, this is what COLLEGE is for. He had access to a better coach there than he has either in the NBA or the D-League. He should have been developing a well-rounded game there. Instead he passed through as fast as he possibly could as if to ensure he'd never learn anything.

Oh well, maybe this summer, maybe Doc can play with him in the drive way and teach him how to play basketball.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#45 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:09 am

ManualRam wrote:i think he came up with that shooting style himself. there's no way someone else taught him to shoot like that. it's like how 8 yr olds shoot the ball, but for whatever reason he never corrected it. i also think the form is specifically designed to shoot deep balls. one of the most shocking stats during his stint at duke was that he made 1 mid-range jump shot. 1!

:lol: God, if that doesn't seem to some up Austin's whole development as a basketball player. He's somehow managed to grow up right in the thick of all the world's basketball knowledge with a game that looks like he's a self-taught prospect from the Congo.

Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#46 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:11 am

CjayC wrote:Damn. All in 24 MPG. Absolutely shocking.

Interestingly the fact that he's now on the bench is what will probably keep him from having the single worst season in history in terms of the most negative in Win Shares.

jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#47 » by jman3134 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:18 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
Not at all. It's clear Rivers cannot be a star in the NBA, so what he has to learn to do is be a role player. He's not going to learn that in the D-League next to inferior talents.

Truthfully, this is what COLLEGE is for. He had access to a better coach there than he has either in the NBA or the D-League. He should have been developing a well-rounded game there. Instead he passed through as fast as he possibly could as if to ensure he'd never learn anything.

Oh well, maybe this summer, maybe Doc can play with him in the drive way and teach him how to play basketball.

False, that is what the D League is for. The talent is the highest that it has ever been. It is very clear that you can learn your craft in the D League. This has happened for many role players in the past. Why can't Austin Rivers improve there? He's two seasons removed from high school.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#48 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:20 am

I figure what you're doing here is trying to combat that ugly schadenfreude you're seeing. I give you some props for that.

It's irrational for folks like me to take pleasure in his suffering, and I can't justify it morally of course. There is however, a certain breed of arrogance of NBA prospects who basically never listen to what people tell them and still get to the NBA and make millions even as advanced metrics show them not really helping their teams. Rivers is not of this mold exactly given that he's so bad everyone can see it on the NBA level. He is however among the most high profile examples of a prospect along these lines as I can ever think of. I first started reading about him when he was in middle school when Doc was talking about telling him not to get too cocky...and of course it clearly didn't help at all given that Austin was more known for his cocky quotes than pretty much any prospect ever.

Obviously there's a sense of karma in all this, and a feeling that maybe some guys in the future will be a little less stupid if Austin's failure is hghlighted.

Quinarvy
Bench Warmer
And1: 134

Post#49 » by Quinarvy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:27 am

What if I just foul him?
D-ROSE. BIGGER. STRONGER. FASTER THAN YOU CHRIS PAUL.

- Stacey King
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#50 » by Doctor MJ » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:28 am

jman3134 wrote:False, that is what the D League is for. The talent is the highest that it has ever been. It is very clear that you can learn your craft in the D League. This has happened for many role players in the past. Why can't Austin Rivers improve there? He's two seasons removed from high school.

A good response. Obviously I'm skeptical, perhaps unfairly so. The thing is that most NBA players are former college stars who have to find a way to make it work as non-stars. This typically means going from a scorer to something else, and this means that there's basically no transition tougher than the guy who did nothing but score before who simply cannot be that scorer on the NBA level.

Do you see Austin making some adjustments and then being able to come back as a guy who shoots at at least semi-volume levels (15+ PPG) successfully in the pros? If so, how? If not, in what role do you see him succeeding?

Minge
Bench Warmer
And1: 6

Comparison 

Post#51 » by Minge » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:41 am

ChrisTheFuturePaul
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#52 » by ChrisTheFuturePaul » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:44 am

I've watched approx 20 Hornets games this year and whats most apparent is that Rivers is constantly thinking, tentative, not in the flow of the game.

He had one terrific scoring game and he looked like he was just playing, not thinking, and he looked like an NBA player.

Lately hes looked a little more assertive but still hasnt found his "spots." I don't know if he can get over his issues, his improvement over the offseason will be a key indicator for me, until then I've seen enough flashes to feel like he could contribute for years to come, but also shown a lot of fail around those flashes.
DV1990
Senior
And1: 80

Post#53 » by DV1990 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:44 am

I can't even fathom why he was even drafted, let alone in the top 10....He wasn't much of a hotshot at Duke either....43% from the field, barely 2apg, I mean compared to the rest of the squad I guess he was talented...perhaps his being Doc Rivers' son meant that he'd be comparable...I don't even know.

What's the saddest thing is I believe his contract nets him a little more than $2 million dollars. TWO MILLION DOLLARS. Dear Lord.
Jan_Sobieski wrote:I would KOBE HIM ALL DAY> LET ME PUT MY HANDS ON HIS DONG.

LBJ 2012 FMVP/MVP Congrats!!
TylerTheDebater
Veteran
And1: 60

Post#54 » by TylerTheDebater » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:12 am

Wait, worse than the Collins twins?

That's friggin' terrible.
The Main Event
Assistant Coach
And1: 576

Post#55 » by The Main Event » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:18 am

This kid is brutal.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzULm7APeIs[/youtube]
"A particular shot or way of moving the ball can be a player's personal signature, but efficiency of performance is what wins the game for the team."
- Pat Riley
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,967

Post#56 » by INKtastic » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:34 am

The Main Event wrote:This kid is brutal.

why does he shoot while he's on his way down?
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
Bskey
Veteran
And1: 144

Post#57 » by Bskey » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:47 am

How did he even get drafted? It's not even the missed shots so much as it looks like he's in slow motion and putting forth very little effort. Who the hell trained this kid?
B-easy
Starter
And1: 489

Post#58 » by B-easy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:57 am

Pelicans should have went for my man tony wroten.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#59 » by dangermouse » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:18 am

Why is he not in the d-league?
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#60 » by dangermouse » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:22 am

INKtastic wrote:

why does he shoot while he's on his way down?

Its almost like John Wall taught him to shoot
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.

Return to The General Board