Austin Rivers has historically worst season so far

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

GetItDone
Analyst
And1: 210

Re: Austin Rivers has historically worst season so far 

Post#21 » by GetItDone » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:59 am

If his name was Austin Smith he would have got in mid 2nd round.
ThatsWhatIShved wrote:Disrespectfull thread. I would take 06 Arenas over Lebron. Other than traveling and suspected PED use, what does Lebron have over Gil?
NikolaPekovic
Rookie
And1: 344

Post#22 » by NikolaPekovic » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:05 am

I mean he was picked 10th for a reason though.. he was the number 1 ranked player coming out of highschool. i watched one game where he dropped 40 soemthin on michael kid-gilchrist. but he was drafted that high cause of his intangibles, i think he willl figure it out.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#23 » by ManualRam » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:09 am

NikolaPekovic wrote:I mean he was picked 10th for a reason though.. he was the number 1 ranked player coming out of highschool. i watched one game where he dropped 40 soemthin on michael kid-gilchrist. but he was drafted that high cause of his intangibles, i think he willl figure it out.

what reasons would those be? because he wasn't good in college and it's not like he has great physical tools or an advanced skill level.

also, what intangibles?
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#24 » by Flash Falcon X » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:11 am

Damn, I really don't understand his FT%.

He's a guard and no one is guarding him on his free throw attempts, yet he's still missing as if he's being double teamed by extremely long defenders or something.

Hopefully he can turn his game around in the future and become a respectable player.
#DubNation
Ice Trae
RealGM
And1: 10,932

Post#25 » by Ice Trae » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:12 am

NikolaPekovic wrote:I mean he was picked 10th for a reason though.. he was the number 1 ranked player coming out of highschool. i watched one game where he dropped 40 soemthin on michael kid-gilchrist. but he was drafted that high cause of his intangibles, i think he willl figure it out.

He can't even drop 10 points with efficiency against Steve Nash
Sn0wman
Banned User
And1: 5,803

Post#26 » by Sn0wman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:18 am

Now that's an Epic tank commander
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#27 » by ManualRam » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:20 am

Bay Based wrote:Damn, I really don't understand his FT%.

He's a guard and no one is guarding him on his free throw attempts, yet he's still missing as if he's being double teamed by extremely long defenders or something.

Hopefully he can turn his game around in the future and become a respectable player.

i think it's because he shoots with 2 hands. you have to have a more delicate touch when you're using 2 hands (not granny style). it's taken joakim noah yrs of practice to get down the touch on his 2 handed shot.

i think he came up with that shooting style himself. there's no way someone else taught him to shoot like that. it's like how 8 yr olds shoot the ball, but for whatever reason he never corrected it. i also think the form is specifically designed to shoot deep balls. one of the most shocking stats during his stint at duke was that he made 1 mid-range jump shot. 1!
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,076

Post#28 » by sisibilio » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:21 am

kakaman wrote:He is shooting 33% from the field, 31% from 3. He is also shooting a Dwightesque 53% from the line. If you filter by winshare of the players who've qualified for those FG statistics, Austin Rivers comes dead last in win shares of -1.3. He could go down as the worst player in NBA history. We are all witnesses.

That selection is a bit arbitrary.
If you choose some more objective stats he's not the worst,just the 2nd worst.

JC = GOAT
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#29 » by inquisitive » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:30 am

19yrs old...i would give him a pass...still lots of time to develop.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,077

Post#30 » by MrBigShot » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:31 am

Regardless of his numbers, I don't think he's the worst player ever...but he has been historically bad as a guard. I'm really shocked by how bad he's been...honestly I didn't expect him to be an all star like Skip Bayless, but I did believe he would put up at least 13ppg on 38-40% garbage efficiency.

What he's doing now is even worse than rookies who put up numbers and awful efficiency...he's putting up absolute scrub numbers while playing rotation player minutes and setting a new standard for "terrible" efficiency.

Is it a question of confidence? He doesn't look like he has the swag/confidence that he had in high school and at Duke. I know it isn't necessarily a good thing to believe that your Kobe, when you aren't, but right now it looks like his confidence is absolutely shot...some swag/confidence could do him some good.

They should send him to the Dleague and tell the affiliate coach to play hiim 36+ minutes and let him play with the ball in his hands so he can regain his confidence. I refuse to believe he's THIS bad of a player.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#31 » by karkinos » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:31 am

GetItDone wrote:And the most staggering thing is he's averaging 24mpg.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Post#32 » by Brandon-Clyde » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:32 am

BBall Loyalty wrote:When he enters the game, the other team's fans cheer.

:bowdown:
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
EscapoTHB
Suspended
And1: 1,249

Post#33 » by EscapoTHB » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:41 am

What is he going to be like when he hits the rookie wall? Or did he arrive frozen in the rookie wall frozen like Hans solo?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
iansportsdude7
Junior
And1: 6

Post#34 » by iansportsdude7 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:43 am

He's a scorer, first and foremost. He doesn't do anything else.

The problem with Austin Rivers is that when he's at his best, he's a slasher. He's not really a jump shooter. He was always a cut to the basket, layup guy in college. He shot 11 shots per game at Duke and got 5.5 FT attempts per game, which is a pretty solid split.

That's a HUGE problem when you're only hitting 50% of your free throws (31% in January). It makes you tentative. Look at what it did to Andris Biedrins. Dude didn't even want to initiate contact in the post because he was scared to go to the line. Can't play that way.

He needs to go to a sports psychologist and spend some time in the D-League to figure out his free throw shooting and get confidence back (I can't believe I'm saying Austin Rivers needs confidence).

Otherwise, this might end up being a career-long problem that gets him out of the Association pretty quickly.

This isn't a guy who has a sweet three point stroke or hit 90% of his free throws in college and is in a funk. He isn't a guy who fills the stat sheet with assists, rebounds, steals, and blocks. He's a get to the basket, and-one, slasher. And when you can't hit free throws, it's going to throw your whole game off.
COY0607
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,815

Post#35 » by COY0607 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:44 am

EscapoTHB wrote:What is he going to be like when he hits the rookie wall? Or did he arrive frozen in the rookie wall frozen like Hans solo?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

i dont think he can get any worse... you would expect with him being a shooter and all, that at some point he will start hitting some shots and get better.. but really he has just been atrocious
ahunterknight
Junior
And1: 4

Post#36 » by ahunterknight » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:56 am

Austin rivers couldn't even hit free throws in high school. He was also known as a pure shooter his sophomore year of high school but his jumpshot got worse idk how that happens lol
Bee-Fense
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#37 » by Bee-Fense » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:00 am

He sucks. He has no skills that make him an NBA player. I hope the Pelicans give up on him sooner rather than later and move on from this bust.
branny
Assistant Coach
And1: 28

Post#38 » by branny » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:06 am

deanwoof wrote:wow is all i can say.
DavidSterned
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,151

Post#39 » by DavidSterned » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:21 am

Cocky or not, I feel bad for him. Hope he at least becomes a bad NBA player some day, as opposed to historically awful at everything.
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#40 » by carrottop12 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:29 am

He hit his rookie wall on draft night.

Return to The General Board