The OFFICIAL rookie impressions thread pt.III

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,315

Re: The OFFICIAL Rookie impressions thread pt. III 

Post#21 » by Shem » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:47 am

Goldtop wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:Round 3

Previous thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1215784

Thorpe Ranking as of January 29

1. Lillard
2. Drummond
3. Davis
4. Nicholson
5. Sullinger
6. Beal
7. MKG
8. Brian Roberts
9. Waiters
10. Henson
:-?

NBA Rookie Ladder (NBA.Com)
1. Lillard
2. Davis
3. Beal
4. Drummond
5. Waiters
6. Sullinger
7. Barnes
8. Shved
9. MKG
10. Zeller

I'm assuming that Thorpe rating was before tonights game. So I wonder if his 18/18 game will put Drummond over Lillard now on his rating

So one game defines a whole 82 game schedule? Meanwhile Lillard has been putting up solid numbers for 45 games so far.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Re: The OFFICIAL rookie impressions thread pt.III 

Post#22 » by ComboGuardCity » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:55 pm

NBA Rookie ladder updated:
1. Lillard
2. Drummond
3. Davis
4. Beal
5. Waiters
6. Zeller
7. Sullinger
8. Shved
9. Singler
10. Ross

And here's his list for the Rookies in the RS game...

So, which nine rookies would you pick for this year's game?

Here's my nine:

Damian Lillard, G
Anthony Davis, F/C
Andre Drummond, C
Bradley Beal, G
Dion Waiters, G
Harrison Barnes, F
Alexey Shved, G
Jared Sullinger, F/C
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, F

-- Drew Packham, NBA.com

Just missed the cut: Harrison Barnes, Thomas Robinson, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, John Henson

Barnes and MKG just missed the cut and made the cut :lol:
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#23 » by hoophabit » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:13 pm

There was a lot of talent in the last draft.

I think Lillard is the clear ROY. He has played most consistently at a high level. He has the most mature game, and was clearly the best prepared for entry into the NBA game. Great poise and a clutch player.

Davis should come next for pretty much the very same reasons. Great talent with a balanced game.

Then there's the rest.

I'm a Piston fan, and it's easy to understand the enthusiasm for Drummond. Andre deserves to be up towards the top of rookie ratings. He appears to be an intelligent young man who is taking a professional approach to his basketball career. If he doesn't become a knucklehead or break down, he likely will become one of the more dominant bigs the NBA has seen in a while. Currently Andre's conditioning isn't what it needs to be, and he needs to improve his upper body strength. Yes, he's offensively raw, but the combination of size and athleticism is simply amazing.

ROY is a great honor, but it isn't a certain predictor of career trajectory. As a Piston fan I recall that Buck Williams was the ROY when Isiah Thomas (the first) came out. Buck had a great career but Thomas was the more significant player over the long run. This observation isn't intended as a negative against any of this year's players. It's fun to speculate, but only time will tell their ultimate standings.
Goldtop
Banned User
And1: 165

Post#24 » by Goldtop » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:16 pm

Shem wrote:
Goldtop wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:Round 3

Previous thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1215784

Thorpe Ranking as of January 29

1. Lillard
2. Drummond
3. Davis
4. Nicholson
5. Sullinger
6. Beal
7. MKG
8. Brian Roberts
9. Waiters
10. Henson
:-?

NBA Rookie Ladder (NBA.Com)
1. Lillard
2. Davis
3. Beal
4. Drummond
5. Waiters
6. Sullinger
7. Barnes
8. Shved
9. MKG
10. Zeller

I'm assuming that Thorpe rating was before tonights game. So I wonder if his 18/18 game will put Drummond over Lillard now on his rating

So one game defines a whole 82 game schedule? Meanwhile Lillard has been putting up solid numbers for 45 games so far.

One game? He's been playing outstanding all year. But yeah 1 fantastic game can move you up a ranking list. Just like it probably has for Lillard when he's had a big game.
Scout Taron
Veteran
And1: 393

Post#25 » by Scout Taron » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:36 pm

MediumNasty wrote:Drummond has more win shares than Lillard in half the minutes

Yep. Drummond could definitely be the ROY over Lillard. But there's a zero percent chance it actually happens. No one cares about defense.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,520

Post#26 » by zzaj » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:49 pm

After last night's games:

Lillard

Drummond

The only argument I see for Drummond is if one were to base the ROY award on per36 numbers. Don't get me wrong, I think Drummond will be a top 3 Center in the league for many years. But unless Lillard's numbers go down considerably and consistently and Drummond's continue to grow...it is unlikely anybody will be able to catch him.
Scout Taron
Veteran
And1: 393

Post#27 » by Scout Taron » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:47 pm

zzaj wrote:After last night's games:

Lillard

Drummond

The only argument I see for Drummond is if one were to base the ROY award on per36 numbers. Don't get me wrong, I think Drummond will be a top 3 Center in the league for many years. But unless Lillard's numbers go down considerably and consistently and Drummond's continue to grow...it is unlikely anybody will be able to catch him.

Blocks, steals, effeciency, actual defense, win shares (which are a bulk stat, not per minute)?
fekz
Starter
And1: 612

Post#28 » by fekz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:59 pm

zzaj wrote:After last night's games:

Lillard

Drummond

I'm betting you don't watch drummond often. He completely changes the landscape of the game and the paint becomes a no fly zone. You'd know he'd easily eclipse his curent numbers with sufficient minutes, not off per36, but actually watching the games and how easily he puts his mark on the game.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,520

Post#29 » by zzaj » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:09 pm

Fekz, i've seen enough of him to be excited for Detroit fans and to understand how much he effects the game defensively (and offensively). If you have watched Blazer games you know that the same is true of Lillard..and i'll argue even more so in his case. With both Ronnie Price and Nolan Smith as replacements the dropoff is VAST when Lillard leaves the game.

Edit: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/22 ... Plus_Minus
Mr. Krabs
Sixth Man
And1: 249

Post#30 » by Mr. Krabs » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:21 pm

I can see Andre getting a chance for ROY if his minutes increase and he can get to averaging around 12+/12+/2+ in the second half of the season or a long stretch. But right now it is Lillard before anyone else.
21shumpshumpst
Banned User
And1: 36

Post#31 » by 21shumpshumpst » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:29 pm

Drummond is a total absolute beast. I have not been this excited for a player since KD entered the league.

The guy is doing everything on athleticism alone when he learns to play the game he will be unstoppable ....unless you send him to the free throw line.
theycallmeZZ
Starter
And1: 2,363

Post#32 » by theycallmeZZ » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:04 am

Drummond is about 5x more dangerous now with Calderon helping him
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#33 » by Han Solo » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:32 am

theycallmeZZ wrote:Drummond is about 5x more dangerous now with Calderon helping him

I don't think Knight has hit Drummond with a lob all season. Will Bynum is the one that always feeds Drummond.
Monroe has to create EVERYTHING for himself too. Knight maybe get's him an easy bucket once every couple games. This will benefit Monroe too. Time for Knight to move into that "Jason Terry type" role.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,034
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#34 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:41 am

Eh. Calderon might run the pick and roll, and refuse to pass inside, and force Andre to throw up a shot when he passes it to him at the last possible second from 15-17 feet.

He's Rondo-like in that regard, lol.

I wish they would give Drummond a big minute increase already.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,169

Post#35 » by rockmanslim » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:29 am

21shumpshumpst wrote:Drummond is a total absolute beast. I have not been this excited for a player since KD entered the league.

The guy is doing everything on athleticism alone when he learns to play the game he will be unstoppable ....unless you send him to the free throw line.

I would say he's more than athleticism alone. Every time I've watched him, from summer league to pre-season to now, he's shown deft touch around the basket and off the glass, as well as guard like body control in the air. If he was all athleticism like Duhwight, he wouldn't be nearly as intriguing a prospect as he is.
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,315

Post#36 » by Shem » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:39 am

Goldtop wrote:
Shem wrote:So one game defines a whole 82 game schedule? Meanwhile Lillard has been putting up solid numbers for 45 games so far.

One game? He's been playing outstanding all year. But yeah 1 fantastic game can move you up a ranking list. Just like it probably has for Lillard when he's had a big game.

How can Lillard be moved up when he's been #1 all year? These ranking are overall performance. Good games help, but one game isn't going to move someone up past, especially consider the overall averages he's been putting up and his importance to the Blazers this season.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#37 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:28 am

Detroit posters having Drummond>Lillard need to gtfo. Lillard is straight beasting on a winning team. If Dre was turning his stats into wins be a different story, however he's not. he's keeping the pistons in games, but that's not good enough
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#38 » by detroitKG » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:34 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:Detroit posters having Drummond>Lillard need to gtfo. Lillard is straight beasting on a winning team. If Dre was turning his stats into wins be a different story, however he's not. he's keeping the pistons in games, but that's not good enough

If your asking me right now gun to my head Lillard or Dre..I'm taking Dre EVERYTIME.
I love what Lillard is doing but 2 way Big men are such a rare bread in this league anymore.
That being said Lillard does have better pieces around him hence why the two teams records are so different.
Without Drummond we're easily one of, if not, the worst teams in the league.
Lillard is my ROY so far, but at least Drummond is attempting to make interesting.
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#39 » by Han Solo » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:46 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:Detroit posters having Drummond>Lillard need to gtfo. Lillard is straight beasting on a winning team. If Dre was turning his stats into wins be a different story, however he's not. he's keeping the pistons in games, but that's not good enough

How about you speak for yourself and leave the rest of us out your posts..
JustinSane
Bench Warmer
And1: 62

Post#40 » by JustinSane » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:55 am

To slow down the Drummond hype machine just a bit: 2/10 from the free throw line today. It is a problem.

Return to The General Board