The OFFICIAL rookie impressions thread pt.III

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Re: The OFFICIAL rookie impressions thread pt.III 

Post#41 » by Han Solo » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:00 am

JustinSane wrote:To slow down the Drummond hype machine just a bit: 2/10 from the free throw line today. It is a problem.

He also had 14 rebounds, 3 blocks, and 2 steals in 24 minutes.
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#42 » by detroitKG » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:44 am

JustinSane wrote:To slow down the Drummond hype machine just a bit: 2/10 from the free throw line today. It is a problem.

It's definitely something he has to work on. All and all a ho hum game for Dre..He was nice on the boards and I love watching him throw Hanborough around :lol:
fekz
Starter
And1: 612

Post#43 » by fekz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:59 am

Han Solo wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:Detroit posters having Drummond>Lillard need to gtfo. Lillard is straight beasting on a winning team. If Dre was turning his stats into wins be a different story, however he's not. he's keeping the pistons in games, but that's not good enough

How about you speak for yourself and leave the rest of us out your posts..

Don't interrupt him, he has to prove we aren't all biased, lol.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#44 » by ComboGuardCity » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:00 am

Lillard is the better player this year. However, in a draft, Drummond goes before him.
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 2,992

Post#45 » by Teen Girl Squad » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:07 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:Lillard is the better player this year. However, in a draft, Drummond goes before him.

Agreed. Too much upside already showing in the league.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#46 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:27 am

detroitKG wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:Detroit posters having Drummond>Lillard need to gtfo. Lillard is straight beasting on a winning team. If Dre was turning his stats into wins be a different story, however he's not. he's keeping the pistons in games, but that's not good enough

If your asking me right now gun to my head Lillard or Dre..I'm taking Dre EVERYTIME.
I love what Lillard is doing but 2 way Big men are such a rare bread in this league anymore.
That being said Lillard does have better pieces around him hence why the two teams records are so different.
Without Drummond we're easily one of, if not, the worst teams in the league.
Lillard is my ROY so far, but at least Drummond is attempting to make interesting.

MY bad i meant for ROY!
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#47 » by Milkdud » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:32 am

I don't blame blame Piston fans or anyone for taking Drummond over Lillard. Getting a game changing center is pretty rare these days and can have a extreme impact.

That said Lillard has had the chance to ball since day 1 and at this point ROY is his to lose (which is unlikely).
nin10doe
Sophomore
And1: 191

Post#48 » by nin10doe » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:00 am

Anthony Davis with another nice game tonight. He did continue a recent trend of committing a few dumb fouls every game, though.

The Hornets continue to limit his minutes as well. Seems like they decided about a month ago to put a 30 minute cap on him. Its hurt his overall per game averages, but he's become extremely efficient in the 25 minutes or so that he gets. He's shooting around 65% from the field since Jan. 7 and still getting his 2 blocks.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,074
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#49 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:35 am

Very unfair to Lillard if you give your vote to anyone playing far less minutes than he is.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
orangeparka
Head Coach
And1: 187

Post#50 » by orangeparka » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:17 am

I agree with the sentiment that Lillard deserves ROY, but Drummond would go before him.

I don't think you can compare the two right now though. Lillard plays arguably the biggest role on a playoff team, while Drummond is still a bench player/garbage buckets type of guy. His rebounding/blocking has been impressive though, even if Monroe's the only decent rebounder on that team.
boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Post#51 » by boogie-reke » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:34 pm

Scout Taron wrote:
zzaj wrote:After last night's games:

Lillard

Drummond

The only argument I see for Drummond is if one were to base the ROY award on per36 numbers. Don't get me wrong, I think Drummond will be a top 3 Center in the league for many years. But unless Lillard's numbers go down considerably and consistently and Drummond's continue to grow...it is unlikely anybody will be able to catch him.

Blocks, steals, effeciency, actual defense, win shares (which are a bulk stat, not per minute)?

No one cares about those in ROY voting. It's basically a PPG contest. Drummond has no chance unless he gets to play 30 MPG from here on out, and DET are gonna be close to a playoff spot.

Even then assuming Lillard continues his play and leads Portland to the playoff with close to 20 ppg, it'll go to him.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,066

Post#52 » by tidho » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:45 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:Lillard is the better player this year. However, in a draft, Drummond goes before him.

This is probably a better quesiton. Based on what we know now how would you rank them. ROY is a lot less important.
Scout Taron
Veteran
And1: 393

Post#53 » by Scout Taron » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:56 pm

boogie-reke wrote:
Scout Taron wrote:
zzaj wrote:After last night's games:

Lillard

Drummond

The only argument I see for Drummond is if one were to base the ROY award on per36 numbers. Don't get me wrong, I think Drummond will be a top 3 Center in the league for many years. But unless Lillard's numbers go down considerably and consistently and Drummond's continue to grow...it is unlikely anybody will be able to catch him.

Blocks, steals, effeciency, actual defense, win shares (which are a bulk stat, not per minute)?

No one cares about those in ROY voting. It's basically a PPG contest. Drummond has no chance unless he gets to play 30 MPG from here on out, and DET are gonna be close to a playoff spot.

Even then assuming Lillard continues his play and leads Portland to the playoff with close to 20 ppg, it'll go to him.

yeah, I know Drummond has no shot at it.

I just think in an objective overview of it, Drummond can be seen as having added more to his team, even in limited minutes
gordito
Rookie
And1: 33

Post#54 » by gordito » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:19 pm

tidho wrote:

This is probably a better quesiton. Based on what we know now how would you rank them. ROY is a lot less important.

I think I would do a redraft (based on what we know now) taking fit in consideration (mainly #4) like this.

NOH - Davis
CHA - Drummond
WAS - Kidd-Gilchrist
CLE - Beal
SAC - Lillard
POR - Waiters
GSW - Barnes
Cro_Ruption
Sixth Man
And1: 93

Post#55 » by Cro_Ruption » Fri Feb 1, 2013 4:33 am

Lillard is basically the focal point of the opponents defensive schemes

hes constantly doubled off pick n rolls and is still putting up solid numbers as a rookie
SharoneWright wrote:I would not trade Bargs for Roy.

Monster or no.

i said it. And I live in a flame retardent suit.
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,076

Post#56 » by sisibilio » Fri Feb 1, 2013 5:20 am

tidho wrote:

Davis
Drummond
Lillard
Gilchrist
Beal
Ross
Barnes

As good as Lillard has looked so far i'm afraid passing on Drummond will come to bite us.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
Goldtop
Banned User
And1: 165

Post#57 » by Goldtop » Fri Feb 1, 2013 5:23 am

Lillards been great. I never said Drummond should win ROY over him, if thats where this debate came from. I was merely talking about David Thorpes rookie ranking list for this week, where I thought Drummond could deserve to be #1 over him for this great week he's having.

Drummond has no chance at ROY because he doesn't play enough to put up the big stats. But I would never trade him for Lillard, so the ROY doesn't matter to me as long as we got the better player longterm, which I believe Drummond will be.
Scout Taron
Veteran
And1: 393

Post#58 » by Scout Taron » Fri Feb 1, 2013 6:02 am

Cro_Ruption wrote:Lillard is basically the focal point of the opponents defensive schemes

hes constantly doubled off pick n rolls and is still putting up solid numbers as a rookie

???

Lamarcus Aldridge?
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,324

Post#59 » by Shem » Fri Feb 1, 2013 6:07 am

Scout Taron wrote:
Cro_Ruption wrote:Lillard is basically the focal point of the opponents defensive schemes

???

Lamarcus Aldridge?

You obviously haven't been watching Portland's games this season if you're questioning this statement.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#60 » by ComboGuardCity » Fri Feb 1, 2013 7:21 am

Shem wrote:
Scout Taron wrote:

???

Lamarcus Aldridge?

You obviously haven't been watching Portland's games this season if you're questioning this statement.

With all due respect, do you watch those highlights you always post? Lillard primarily seems to score when he's running the P'n'R with LMA. Why do you think he's open on those mid range shots? Its because LMA is an absolute beast. Lillard has been very impressive, but Lamarcus Aldridge is far and away the best offensive player on that team.

The fact that we're having this discussion shows how mature Lillard really is.

Return to The General Board