Race to MVP IV

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

CKRT
Analyst
And1: 404

Re: Race to MVP IV 

Post#1481 » by CKRT » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:37 pm

that'd be awesome. he told one of OKC's beat writers yesterday he would try for 70 against the Kings and then laughed. so I doubt he'll try for it.
lilojmayo wrote:Juice is not a chucker, like say James Harden
NBA4EVA2010
Banned User
And1: 180

Post#1482 » by NBA4EVA2010 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:03 pm

QPR wrote:KD putting the finishing touches on a 28/8/5 season on 51/42/91 shooting, on a team that has won 60 games, and he's really not even in MVP calculations.

If you want an argument for how good LeBron is, that's it right there.

Great post :clap:
QPR
Veteran
And1: 3,777

Post#1483 » by QPR » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:12 am

SuperCoolMayo wrote:KD won't even win the scoring title this year

If he upped his FGA from 17.5 per game to Melo's 22, I'm sure he'd probably win it fairly comfortably.

As it stands he's almost won the scoring crown without even taking the most shots on his own team, which is crazy.
Camparta
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#1484 » by Camparta » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:48 am

NaturalThunder wrote:Scary thing is, Durant's just 24, so it's not inconceivable to think he'll only continue to get better over the next 5-6 years. He'll never be as good as LeBron is now, but there's a chance this is just the beginning of a remarkable career. And by remarkable, I mean the type of career/player that only comes along about 2 or 3 times per generation of players.

Something I will never understand it's what do players need to do to be fairly recognised. There always have been so many players that have played great and still the general opinion is they haven't fully evolved. What I mean here is Durant's career is already remarkable, it's not the beginning. If he was to end his career right now I'm sure he would be remembered as one of the greatest of this time frame.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#1485 » by kingkirk » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:13 am

QPR wrote:
SuperCoolMayo wrote:KD won't even win the scoring title this year

If he upped his FGA from 17.5 per game to Melo's 22, I'm sure he'd probably win it fairly comfortably.

As it stands he's almost won the scoring crown without even taking the most shots on his own team, which is crazy.

Great stat.

Lebron is the MVP and has been incredible, but i hope people realise how good Durant has been as well.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,300

Post#1486 » by D.Brasco » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:42 am

To be fair durant gets a lot of points off ft's. Probably more so than any player i've seen in a while. I mean when you're taking over 9 fta's and shooting over 90% while doing so, you don't need to take that many shots to rack up the points.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1487 » by kingkirk » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:08 am

D.Brasco wrote:To be fair durant gets a lot of points off ft's. Probably more so than any player i've seen in a while. I mean when you're taking over 9 fta's and shooting over 90% while doing so, you don't need to take that many shots to rack up the points.

He hasn't even gotten the most this season.

You must watch no Houston games.

Lebron has also had seasons with this many free throws, as has Wade, as has Kobe....

I loathe this argument when it comes to Durant.

Superstar wings get calls.

You don't even have to look that far back. Last season, James averaged more free throws than KD, though KD still put in more points (before the Lebron fans come and attack, it wasn't a shot at Lebron).

The difference between Durant and the other guys is that he leads the league in FT% and makes 9 out of every 10. Unlike some, you foul him, its automatic points.

Shame on him for being that good at them.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,300

Post#1488 » by D.Brasco » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:24 am

I wasn't arguing durant's game was only based around him getting ft's. Mainly that they aid in the fact that despite not taking that many fga's comparatively he does get a lot of his points from the ft line, thus some of the disparity between his ppg and fga. It is a skill that he does exploit quite well.

Beside's the point it's also obvious to everyone that durant is a very efficient player regardless, who benefits from both skills of good shot selection and ability to get to the line.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1489 » by kingkirk » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:28 am

Fair call.

Perhaps i was a touch sensitive, as i've seen this being used as negative towards Durant, like he his ability to draw free throws this season is something that has never happened before, despite the fact that it happens every year, and that its not even his highest FTA/game in his career.

He gets calls, no question, but he is that absurd from every where else in terms of scoring efficiency, even if he is brought back to 7-8 attempts per game, where Kobe and Lebron sit, he still is putting in buckets at an absurd rate.

His TS will also be one of the highest registered for a high volume elite wing scorer (Lebron's isn't that far off either).
QPR
Veteran
And1: 3,777

Post#1490 » by QPR » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:23 pm

The shooting numbers across the board are absurd when you think about how many shots outside 18 feet he takes, and often contested. You'd expect hot and cold runs but to do that over 82 games is just crazy. It truly is Bird-like.
orangeparka
Head Coach
And1: 187

Post#1491 » by orangeparka » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:38 pm

KingCuban wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:To be fair durant gets a lot of points off ft's. Probably more so than any player i've seen in a while. I mean when you're taking over 9 fta's and shooting over 90% while doing so, you don't need to take that many shots to rack up the points.

He hasn't even gotten the most this season.

You must watch no Houston games.

Lebron has also had seasons with this many free throws, as has Wade, as has Kobe....

I loathe this argument when it comes to Durant.

Superstar wings get calls.

You don't even have to look that far back. Last season, James averaged more free throws than KD, though KD still put in more points (before the Lebron fans come and attack, it wasn't a shot at Lebron).

The difference between Durant and the other guys is that he leads the league in FT% and makes 9 out of every 10. Unlike some, you foul him, its automatic points.

Shame on him for being that good at them.

The difference is that a guy like Harden makes a living off driving to the rim. As for KD... Not so much.

Not to really take anything away from him, but even KD fans do acknowledge the exceptional treatment he gets, no?
orangeparka
Head Coach
And1: 187

Post#1492 » by orangeparka » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:40 pm

QPR wrote:KD putting the finishing touches on a 28/8/5 season on 51/42/91 shooting, on a team that has won 60 games, and he's really not even in MVP calculations.

If you want an argument for how good LeBron is, that's it right there.

:o
boateng
Banned User
And1: 245

Post#1493 » by boateng » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:53 pm

Does Lebron really deserve the MVP though?

I thought it was mvp not the best player. I think the heat would be a top two seed without him.
If KD is off the thunder or even Melo the knicks, they would know way be as good as they are. That probably why rose won it in 2011.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#1494 » by Flash3 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:41 pm

boateng wrote:Does Lebron really deserve the MVP though?

I thought it was mvp not the best player. I think the heat would be a top two seed without him.
If KD is off the thunder or even Melo the knicks, they would know way be as good as they are. That probably why rose won it in 2011.

Yes, this isn't a question to debate. He won it back in February.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
MiamiRadio
Junior
And1: 92

Post#1495 » by MiamiRadio » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:22 pm

Posted on ESPN

SideshowBob
General Manager
And1: 6,253

Post#1496 » by SideshowBob » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:01 pm

Someone gave Durant an MIP vote.
But in his home dwelling...the hi-top faded warrior is revered. *Smack!* The sound of his palm blocking the basketball... the sound of thousands rising, roaring... the sound of "get that sugar honey iced tea outta here!"
MiamiRadio
Junior
And1: 92

Post#1497 » by MiamiRadio » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:10 pm

Has anyone ever gotten every single MVP vote before? Not saying Lebron will but it could be close, just curious
KDgoat
Senior
And1: 19

Post#1498 » by KDgoat » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:07 pm

SideshowBob wrote:Someone gave Durant an MIP vote.

Why shouldn't they? He's not a scrub who suddenly posts some better numbers. He's an elite player, 2nd best in the game, who managed to increase his output on almost every level even more.

Compared to last year he improved in:
    FG%
    3P%
    FTM
    FTA
    FT%
    Assists
    Steals
    Blocks
    Turnovers
    Fouls made
All stats are per game.

Let's take a look at advanced stats, he improved in:
    PER
    TS%
    eFG%
    AST%
    STL%
    BLK%
    TOV%
    ORtg
    DRtg
    OWS
    DWS
    WS
    WS/48

Yes, it's truly preposterous to list Durant as an MIP candidate.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1499 » by kingkirk » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:46 pm

boateng wrote:Does Lebron really deserve the MVP though?

Yes, he really does deserve it.

On that note, locking this one up.

Start a new one if anyone wants to discuss the same old stuff for a few more days....

Return to The General Board