Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Ax2SG
Bench Warmer
And1: 191

Re: Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause 

Post#61 » by Ax2SG » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:51 pm

This IsMy House wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:
Bodhi wrote:Would you rather have the career of Karl Malone or Adam Morrison?

Look at the list of players who have won rings and look at the list of players who have their jersey retired. One is a far more significant achievement. It's not even close.

Of course KG would have probably had his jersey retired anyway. He'll probably have his jersey retired by two teams.

I wonder how many kids that started watching ball a couple of years ago even know that KG played for the Wolves lol

Come on man, with all respect, that's dumb to say. What about the kids that started watching ball just because of the Big 3 in Miami, or LeBron, and think Ray Allen is the **** from the 3 line, do they even know he played for Seattle, or the Bucks? Back when he was for them what KG was to the Wolves.

Back on topic, Ray Allen can win a championship with the Heat, but the Heat to retire his jersey is just dumb. Boston wouldn't do it either, I think. So, if Ray wants his jersey retired, that's fine. But even if he wins another chip with Miami, to me, not being a fan of either, KG's retired jersey with Boston > Ray's jersey retired with whatever team + 2 rings.
This IsMy House
General Manager
And1: 190

Post#62 » by This IsMy House » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:55 pm

Ax2SG wrote:Come on man, with all respect, that's dumb to say. What about the kids that started watching ball just because of the Big 3 in Miami, or LeBron, and think Ray Allen is the **** from the 3 line, do they even know he played for Seattle, or the Bucks? Back when he was for them what KG was to the Wolves.

Back on topic, Ray Allen can win a championship with the Heat, but the Heat to retire his jersey is just dumb. Boston wouldn't so it either, I think. So, if Ray wants his jersey retired, that's fine. But even if he wins another chip with Miami, to me, not being a fan of either, KG' retired jersey with Boston > Ray's jersey retired with whatever team + 2 rings.

Wasnt saying it as an insult more of how will people react if they didnt know he ever played there. I know theres plenty of people barring a trade who will think LeBron played his career or Bosh his, in Miami. Its just weird how people just forget about the other teams. Sort of like A-Rod on the Mariners or Rangers.
I Stand With The []_[]!
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#63 » by 5DOM » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:56 pm

Yeah we are comparing a perennial superstar and a perennial all star here
Mass Rig
Senior
And1: 264

Post#64 » by Mass Rig » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:56 pm

bball34 wrote:
Who cares about his legacy with Boston? Ten years later, all people see is the number of rings you had won.

Not for Celtics' nation. And the Celtics' fan base is the largest and most loyal in the world.

Good for him. You can buy rings, but you can't buy reputation.
This IsMy House
General Manager

Post#65 » by This IsMy House » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:00 pm

Mass Rig wrote:
bball34 wrote:
Who cares about his legacy with Boston? Ten years later, all people see is the number of rings you had won.

Not for Celtics' nation. And the Celtics' fan base is the largest and most loyal in the world.

Good for him. You can buy rings, but you can't buy reputation.

This has been bugging me for some time now. Their FANS might be loyal but their organization is all about winning, not loyalty. How many times now in the last 2 years have your heard Rondo, Pierce, Kg, and Allens name get thrown around in trades? They want to WIN, they dont want to be loyal and not contend for a championship. Ray did what he thought was best to win, his team showed no loyalty by trying and trade him multiple times. The fans might be mad at him now, but come 10 years from now I think theyll be over it, if they stopped booing Johnny Damon theyll get over Ray.
I Stand With The []_[]!
Debaser
Starter
And1: 163

Post#66 » by Debaser » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:07 pm

This IsMy House wrote:KG will have a great legacy as well, but I dont think its THAT much better than Rays.

SMDH This is almost sig worthy.
Mass Rig
Senior
And1: 264

Post#67 » by Mass Rig » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:13 pm

This IsMy House wrote:This has been bugging me for some time now. Their FANS might be loyal but their organization is all about winning, not loyalty. How many times now in the last 2 years have your heard Rondo, Pierce, Kg, and Allens name get thrown around in trades? They want to WIN, they dont want to be loyal and not contend for a championship. Ray did what he thought was best to win, his team showed no loyalty by trying and trade him multiple times. The fans might be mad at him now, but come 10 years from now I think theyll be over it, if they stopped booing Johnny Damon theyll get over Ray.

Fair enough. But the idea here is that the priority goes to the Green. Who plays in Green is just a soldier, expendable, and all true Celtics know this. Allen was not a true Celtic, he's a narcissistic underachieving baller. Garnett is a true warrior and will always be remembered as such. Do you see what Bill Russell does now? That's Garnett 40 years from now.

p.s. I'm a Lakers fan. Lakers are about showtime, fun, and success. Celtics are about pride, determination, grit and success. That's why it's such a great rivalry. Most of other franchises is about plain, boring, pop-corn basketball.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,683

Post#68 » by Johnny Firpo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:30 pm

Too bad, the Clippers would have been something else with him anchoring them. Still, classy thing from Garnett, and i'm sure the Celtics fans appreciate it, even though a Bledsoe+Jordan package would have been great at this point in time.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,134

Post#69 » by Froob » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:48 pm

When it's all said and done, KG will be remembered as a far better player than Ray Allen. Nobody will care if Ray wins another with the heat. #5 will be up in the rafters one day.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#70 » by Froob » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:50 pm

Debaser wrote:
This IsMy House wrote:KG will have a great legacy as well, but I dont think its THAT much better than Rays.

SMDH This is almost sig worthy.

Yikes :o . Both are hall of famers but nobody in their right mind would consider taking Ray over KG.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
spudwebb
Sixth Man
And1: 2,195

Post#71 » by spudwebb » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:51 pm

This IsMy House wrote:What franchise/culture did he change? Boston was already a winning culture? Doc was the one who told him to focus on his defense and become what he is today.

RealGM is full of 13 year old's that started watching the NBA like 5 years ago. KG = 13 time all-defensive team and 9 time all-defensive 1st team. Rivers coached the Celtics since 2004? and sucked. KG came and the Celtics culture changed.
This IsMy House
General Manager

Post#72 » by This IsMy House » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:01 pm

spudwebb wrote:
This IsMy House wrote:What franchise/culture did he change? Boston was already a winning culture? Doc was the one who told him to focus on his defense and become what he is today.

RealGM is full of 13 year old's that started watching the NBA like 5 years ago. KG = 13 time all-defensive team and 9 time all-defensive 1st team. Rivers coached the Celtics since 2004? and sucked. KG came and the Celtics culture changed.

Man thanks for letting me know I was 13....clearly my math is awful lolololol
I Stand With The []_[]!
Beardman
Veteran
And1: 181

Post#73 » by Beardman » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:03 pm

Kinda selfish...he stopped the Celtics from retooling. They tried to put him on a contender and get value for him at the same time and he cock blocked it smh.

Does he think management will act in his favor after this ? the fans may still like him but its bad blood with the front office now.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#74 » by Froob » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:04 pm

Ax2SG wrote:
Come on man, with all respect, that's dumb to say. What about the kids that started watching ball just because of the Big 3 in Miami, or LeBron, and think Ray Allen is the **** from the 3 line, do they even know he played for Seattle, or the Bucks? Back when he was for them what KG was to the Wolves.

Back on topic, Ray Allen can win a championship with the Heat, but the Heat to retire his jersey is just dumb. Boston wouldn't do it either, I think. So, if Ray wants his jersey retired, that's fine. But even if he wins another chip with Miami, to me, not being a fan of either, KG's retired jersey with Boston > Ray's jersey retired with whatever team + 2 rings.

The heat retired MJ's jersey....I wouldn't rule anything out at this point.

RIP The_Hater
This IsMy House
General Manager

Post#75 » by This IsMy House » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:07 pm

Froob wrote:
Ax2SG wrote:

Riley and Arison did that in respect for the greatest to ever do it. I know he never played for the Heat but Jordan brought in millions to the league and basically changed it forever, and in respect for that no one will wear 23 for the Heat.
I Stand With The []_[]!
L3GEND4RY
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,188

Post#76 » by L3GEND4RY » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:07 pm

This IsMy House wrote:
Archerbro wrote:debatable about kg and ray ray's legacy all times?

No it aint................

KG will have a great legacy as well, but I dont think its THAT much better than Rays.

LOL. Just stop already.

Signature by freshcontrast
GreenBloodedC
RealGM
And1: 14,436

Post#77 » by GreenBloodedC » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:07 pm

Beardman wrote:Kinda selfish...he stopped the Celtics from retooling. They tried to put him on a contender and get value for him at the same time and he cock blocked it smh.

Does he think management will act in his favor after this ? the fans may still like him but its bad blood with the front office now.

The rebuild might have been delayed, but I don't think there will be bad blood.
Beardman
Veteran
And1: 181

Post#78 » by Beardman » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:10 pm

spudwebb wrote:

You guys are acting surprised about a bandwagon Heat fan having a casual opinion on basketball. Just roll with the punches man. :rofl:
L3GEND4RY
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,188

Post#79 » by L3GEND4RY » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:10 pm

Beardman wrote:
spudwebb wrote:

You guys are acting surprised about a bandwagon Heat fan having a casual opinion on basketball. Just roll with the punches man. :rofl:

Pretty funny. The guy has zero clue what he's talking about. :lol:

Sure, it would have been great to get young assets in return, but this is one of those trades that if you don't do -- you can still recover from fairly quickly with a good GM.

Signature by freshcontrast
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#80 » by Froob » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:11 pm

This IsMy House wrote:
Froob wrote:
Ax2SG wrote:

Riley and Arison did that in respect for the greatest to ever do it. I know he never played for the Heat but Jordan brought in millions to the league and basically changed it forever, and in respect for that no one will wear 23 for the Heat.

There's no reason for the heat to honor him. It's just silly. They probably only did it for a ticket gimmick. Why don't they retire Bird's number and Magic's and Kareem's and Russell? I hate the lakers with all my heart but, at least they are a respectable franchise and would never do something that dumb.

RIP The_Hater

Return to The General Board