Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Re: Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause 

Post#41 » by 5DOM » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:28 pm

The Boot Room wrote:it isn't loyalty when 1 side wants to part ways but the other doesn't.

If that's the case, it's the Celtic's loyalty that has to be questioned more than KG's. KG was simply going to use the no trade clause in his contract that he and the club agreed to.

And of course KG will always be remembered a better player than Allen no matter what the latter does. At best all he can add to his legacy is being a poor man's Robert Horry.
Cavs0623
Pro Prospect
And1: 519

Post#42 » by Cavs0623 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:28 pm

GreenBloodedC wrote:
Cavs0623 wrote:Which is why I said have a good chance, no one said they're sure to win one. And I'm fairly certain Ray Allen legacy is something he can be proud of it's not like he isn't a champion, multiple time all-star and the all-time 3 pt leader
^ Because I said that makes them better :roll:

Yes, that's why you concluded 2 rings > Retired jersey. That makes sense.

He can be proud of his legacy, he can be happy if he wins his second championship. But we're comparing KG and Allen. If Allen wins 2 more rings KG's legacy is still >>> Than Allen's

So do you think Karl Malone, Reggie, Charles would choose having their jersey hung up over having a ring? I'm saying if your comparing having a ring to have your jersey hung up it's not even a decision I would think to most players.
Bodhi
Bench Warmer
And1: 81

Post#43 » by Bodhi » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:28 pm

leolozon wrote:
Bodhi wrote:Completely wrong. Staying loyal to a team is a huge boost to your legacy and how you're remembered. In ten years Boston fans will talk up how great KG was anytime he's mentioned. So will his former teammates and coaches. Not to mention the media members who followed the team. That's not going to happen for Allen.

And why would anyone care if Ray Allen wins another ring scoring 10ppg off the bench?

Why are you assuming his reason was loyalty? How is it being loyal if the team thinks it's better for them to trade you? If you like the team, shouldn't you want what's best for the team and get traded?

I just think he didn't want to move at this stage of his career. He has a situation over there, he has a house and a family. I think it's more about being loyal to your family than to the team that wants to trade you.

I don't know what the reason was. I do know that he was loyal enough not to take less money to sign with a rival team in the off season and that matters in this context.
Jeanie Buss
Archerbro
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,238

Post#44 » by Archerbro » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:30 pm

This IsMy House wrote:
GreenBloodedC wrote:
Cavs0623 wrote:Which is why I said have a good chance, no one said they're sure to win one. And I'm fairly certain Ray Allen legacy is something he can be proud of it's not like he isn't a champion, multiple time all-star and the all-time 3 pt leader

He can be proud of his legacy, he can be happy if he wins his second championship. But we're comparing KG and Allen. If Allen wins 2 more rings KG's legacy is still >>> Than Allen's

That’s debatable, Ray is still the all time 3pt leader and one of the best shooters the league has ever seen. Hes got a pretty nice legacy going on his own with or without a second ring.

debatable about kg and ray ray's legacy all times?

No it aint................
Archerbro
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,238

Post#45 » by Archerbro » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:31 pm

Cavs0623 wrote:
GreenBloodedC wrote:

So do you think Karl Malone, Reggie, Charles would choose having their jersey hung up over having a ring? I'm saying if your comparing having a ring to have your jersey hung up it's not even a decision I would think to most players.

It's different when you already have a ring..............
which kg does.
Bodhi
Bench Warmer
And1: 81

Post#46 » by Bodhi » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:32 pm

Cavs0623 wrote:
GreenBloodedC wrote:

Would you rather have the career of Karl Malone or Adam Morrison?

Look at the list of players who have won rings and look at the list of players who have their jersey retired. One is a far more significant achievement. It's not even close.
Jeanie Buss
This IsMy House
General Manager
And1: 190

Post#47 » by This IsMy House » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:33 pm

Archerbro wrote:debatable about kg and ray ray's legacy all times?

KG will have a great legacy as well, but I dont think its THAT much better than Rays.
I Stand With The []_[]!
GreenBloodedC
RealGM
And1: 14,436

Post#48 » by GreenBloodedC » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:35 pm

This IsMy House wrote:

KG will have a great legacy as well, but I dont think its THAT much better than Rays.

I can respect your opinion but sorry, it really is not debatable.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,512

Post#49 » by Worm Guts » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:36 pm

Bodhi wrote:Would you rather have the career of Karl Malone or Adam Morrison?

Look at the list of players who have won rings and look at the list of players who have their jersey retired. One is a far more significant achievement. It's not even close.

Of course KG would have probably had his jersey retired anyway. He'll probably have his jersey retired by two teams.
Setshot33
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,537

Post#50 » by Setshot33 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:37 pm

This IsMy House wrote:

KG's a team culture/franchise changer.

Ray? Craig Hodges on steroids.
" But the best thing to do is just win"- Red Auerbach
This IsMy House
General Manager

Post#51 » by This IsMy House » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:37 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Bodhi wrote:Would you rather have the career of Karl Malone or Adam Morrison?

Of course KG would have probably had his jersey retired anyway. He'll probably have his jersey retired by two teams.

I wonder how many kids that started watching ball a couple of years ago even know that KG played for the Wolves lol
I Stand With The []_[]!
This IsMy House
General Manager

Post#52 » by This IsMy House » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:40 pm

Setshot33 wrote:
This IsMy House wrote:

KG's a team culture/franchise changer.

Ray? Craig Hodges on steroids.

What franchise/culture did he change? Boston was already a winning culture? Doc was the one who told him to focus on his defense and become what he is today.
I Stand With The []_[]!
Dr Pepper
Assistant Coach
And1: 339

Post#53 » by Dr Pepper » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:40 pm

So we can blame KG for making the trade deadline boring ;)

When it comes to Ray vs KG's legacy in Boston, it goes to KG all day who really seems like a bigger fan favorite than Paul Pierce or Rondo. But its still a legacy that many Celtics fans never really loved since it felt more like a transplanted superteam instead of one they got to raise themselves. Also strange to read Celtics fans talking about hanging jerseys being better than winning more rings...you guys changed a lot since the 80's
Kobe vs MJ "Clone Wars" NBA.com video:

Frosty wrote:Funny this is called Clone Wars because Kobe is like the second installment of the Star Wars series. It looked like Star Wars but came up short. But it did appeal to the kiddies.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,512

Post#54 » by Worm Guts » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:41 pm

This IsMy House wrote:What franchise/culture did he change? Boston was already a winning culture? Doc was the one who told him to focus on his defense and become what he is today.

Boston won 26 games (or less) the year before KG. They did not have a winning culture.
Record Machine
Senior
And1: 455

Post#55 » by Record Machine » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:41 pm

This IsMy House wrote:

You must be joking.
GreenBloodedC
RealGM

Post#56 » by GreenBloodedC » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:43 pm

This IsMy House wrote:What franchise/culture did he change? Boston was already a winning culture? Doc was the one who told him to focus on his defense and become what he is today.

Come on son. You didn't just say that.
Setshot33
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,537

Post#57 » by Setshot33 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:45 pm

This IsMy House wrote:
What franchise/culture did he change? Boston was already a winning culture? Doc was the one who told him to focus on his defense and become what he is today.

Soo....what year did you start watching the NBA?

Or did you go into a coma in July 1986 and wake up in 2008?
" But the best thing to do is just win"- Red Auerbach
GreenBloodedC
RealGM

Post#58 » by GreenBloodedC » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:45 pm

Dr Pepper wrote:So we can blame KG for making the trade deadline boring ;)

When it comes to Ray vs KG's legacy in Boston, it goes to KG all day who really seems like a bigger fan favorite than Paul Pierce or Rondo. But its still a legacy that many Celtics fans never really loved since it felt more like a transplanted superteam instead of one they got to raise themselves. Also strange to read Celtics fans talking about hanging jerseys being better than winning more rings...you guys changed a lot since the 80's

Give us a pass. This is about individual accolades anyway :lol:
Record Machine
Senior
And1: 455

Post#59 » by Record Machine » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:49 pm

This IsMy House wrote:Doc was the one who told him to focus on his defense and become what he is today.

8-time All-NBA Defense before he got to Boston. :lol:
WhateverBro
Head Coach
And1: 1,578

Post#60 » by WhateverBro » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:51 pm

This IsMy House wrote:

What the hell? Are you serious? They aren't even close, legacy wise. Garnett is a top 12-15 player of all-time, Ray wouldn't even crack my top 50.

Aside from Garnett posting the much more impressive numbers throughout his career, not to mention being a defensive anchor, he also beats him by far when it comes to accolades.

Just compare the two;

Ray - 1 championship, 10x all-star, 2 all-nba teams. All-time leader in made threes. 23k points, 5k rebounds, 4k assists.

KG - 1 championship, MVP, DPOY, 15x all-star, 9 all-nba teams, 12 all-defensive teams. 4x rebounding champion. 25k points, 13k rebounds, 5k assists, 2k blocks.

That's just the basics, sorry but they aren't even close legacy wise.

Return to The General Board