Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause

Moderators: Morten Jensen, Blame Rasho, UGA Hayes, Doctor MJ, Yuri Vaultin, NO-KG-AI, Mark K, tsherkin, magnumt, Flash3

User avatar
GreenBloodedC
Head Coach
Posts: 6,366
And1: 2,357
Joined: May 08, 2012

Re: Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause 

Post#106 » by GreenBloodedC » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:46 am

bball34 wrote:The loyalty BS is getting really annoying.

You're annoyed because you didn't get the replies you expected.
Well, at least for the most part
Image
User avatar
Infinite Llamas
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,323
And1: 1,557
Joined: Jul 22, 2006
Location: Land of Llamas
   

Re: Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause 

Post#107 » by Infinite Llamas » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:00 am

What did the Jazz get for Stockton when he retired?

What did the Bulls get when Jordan retired in 97-98?

Certainly, the Pacers could of gotten something for Reggie's expiring deal.

They key is that some players like the idea of only playing in 1 or 2 cities for their careers, and they probably like the idea of attaching their legacy to a franchise. The fact that Ainge would even consider trading a guy who wants to retire a Celtic (outside of Pierce...when was the last time that happened lately)? I personally would of been pissed if KG was traded for Bledsoe and Jordan's awful contract. Not every player is a mercenary gunning for rings. And the clear plan is obviosuly to make one last run next year. Sully and Rondo will be back. Jeff Green will be more improved. The team is just a rebounder away from making noise. You just can't put a price on how Loyal KG has been to the C's, and he deserves more respect than to be included in all these trade talks.

Just because Ainge is a wheeler and dealer doesn't mean that all C's fans share that sentiment. Those two guys deserve to retire witht he C's (if that's what they want), and rebuilding can always happen later. Think about Hakeem's legacy had he not spent that one middling year in Toronto? The Rockets got a pick from Toronto who tehy used to draft Nachbar, who they eventually used to trade for David Wesley who left after a year? I wonder if the Rockets organization really thinks that that one draft pick was worth not keeping Hakeem a Rocket for his entire career, which is such a rarity in sports these days.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
User avatar
GSP
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,344
And1: 902
Joined: Dec 12, 2011
     

Re: Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause 

Post#108 » by GSP » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:48 am

Kg is one of the most loyal players in league history. Hopefully we can make it to the playoffs.
StojkoVrankovic
Head Coach
Posts: 6,181
And1: 1,641
Joined: Nov 29, 2011
 

Re: Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause 

Post#109 » by StojkoVrankovic » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:21 am

bball34 wrote:
Steve Bulpett
Moot now, but as to whether KG would've waived his no-trade, CPaul and Chauncey couldn't convince him. Clips were still conflicted.


Ray Allen must laugh at him.
Not by any chance could he get another title with the Celtics.

After reading all of your posts I have come to 2 conclusions.

1. You get off on baiting the Celtic fanbase
2. You know what Ray Allen tastes like
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
Curmudgeon
RealGM
Posts: 17,349
And1: 233
Joined: Jan 20, 2004
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause 

Post#110 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:36 am

The Clippers completely blew this. Their ineptitude was astounding.

Scenario #1: (which looks fairly close to what happened). CP3 calls KG and says, "There is some conflict here and the front office hasn't made formal trade offer, but if you want to come here I can make it happen."

Scenario #2: CP3 calls KG and says, "Everyone in the Clippers organization wants you here and so do I. We're going to make a formal trade offer and if the Celtics agree, our owner and GM want to reach out to you."

Someone in the Clippers front office didn't want to do the deal and it was torpedoed. A proud guy like KG would never waive his no trade under those circumstances, and the Clips front office should have informed CP3 that the deal was rejected instead of hanging him out to dry.

No wonder that CP3 is now saying that he isn't sure if he wants to sign with LA long term.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
User avatar
Deathclutch23
Rookie
Posts: 1,021
And1: 37
Joined: May 11, 2012
     

Re: Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause 

Post#111 » by Deathclutch23 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:41 am

StojkoVrankovic wrote:
bball34 wrote:
Steve Bulpett
Moot now, but as to whether KG would've waived his no-trade, CPaul and Chauncey couldn't convince him. Clips were still conflicted.


Ray Allen must laugh at him.
Not by any chance could he get another title with the Celtics.

After reading all of your posts I have come to 2 conclusions.

1. You get off on baiting the Celtic fanbase
2. You know what Ray Allen tastes like


Yup, an obvious troll.
"We are not here to talk about history, we are here to keep making it"
GoLakersKB24
Ballboy
Posts: 14
And1: 1
Joined: Jul 11, 2012

Re: Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause 

Post#112 » by GoLakersKB24 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:01 am

Curmudgeon wrote:The Clippers completely blew this. Their ineptitude was astounding.

Scenario #1: (which looks fairly close to what happened). CP3 calls KG and says, "There is some conflict here and the front office hasn't made formal trade offer, but if you want to come here I can make it happen."

Scenario #2: CP3 calls KG and says, "Everyone in the Clippers organization wants you here and so do I. We're going to make a formal trade offer and if the Celtics agree, our owner and GM want to reach out to you."

Someone in the Clippers front office didn't want to do the deal and it was torpedoed. A proud guy like KG would never waive his no trade under those circumstances, and the Clips front office should have informed CP3 that the deal was rejected instead of hanging him out to dry.

No wonder that CP3 is now saying that he isn't sure if he wants to sign with LA long term.


How did the clippers blow this.....KG didnt waive his clause, it had nothing to do with the clippers messing up. Try reading the whole thread before posting.
streetp0et
Rookie
Posts: 1,162
And1: 49
Joined: Jul 18, 2003
Contact:
   

Re: Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause 

Post#113 » by streetp0et » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:19 am

The fact that KG was the HS-to-pro player that brought the flood of HS draft entries to the NBA, the fact that his contract brought upon lockout and max contract, the fact that he was an MVP and the fact that his game/versatility was quite unique for his size, his legacy is so much better than Ray Allen.

And very few people will remember Ray Allen ring if he wins this year, just as I remember Gary Payton on the 95-96 Sonics and Mitch Richmond on the horrible Kings team.
nesta
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,754
And1: 65
Joined: Jun 20, 2005

Re: Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause 

Post#114 » by nesta » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:26 am

KG can't play for coach Del Negro. He would be screaming out his name on and off the court in many different ways and Del Negro would suspend him.
bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
Posts: 22,296
And1: 1,435
Joined: Sep 11, 2009

Re: Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause 

Post#115 » by bullsnewdynasty » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:59 am

Props to KG. Never liked the guy but have to respect him for turning down that ring chasing crap.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
Posts: 17,349
And1: 233
Joined: Jan 20, 2004
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause 

Post#116 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:04 am

GoLakersKB24 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:The Clippers completely blew this. Their ineptitude was astounding.

Scenario #1: (which looks fairly close to what happened). CP3 calls KG and says, "There is some conflict here and the front office hasn't made formal trade offer, but if you want to come here I can make it happen."

Scenario #2: CP3 calls KG and says, "Everyone in the Clippers organization wants you here and so do I. We're going to make a formal trade offer and if the Celtics agree, our owner and GM want to reach out to you."

Someone in the Clippers front office didn't want to do the deal and it was torpedoed. A proud guy like KG would never waive his no trade under those circumstances, and the Clips front office should have informed CP3 that the deal was rejected instead of hanging him out to dry.

No wonder that CP3 is now saying that he isn't sure if he wants to sign with LA long term.


How did the clippers blow this.....KG didnt waive his clause, it had nothing to do with the clippers messing up. Try reading the whole thread before posting.


The Clippers blew it by being ambivalent, and by letting that ambivalence become public. No way that KG was going to waive his no trade to go to a team where someone in the front office didn't want him.

The Clips needed to fish or cut bait. If they didn't want to do the deal, fine, that's their perogative. Say no and move on.

But don't waffle and have your star player out there making futile phone calls.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Pimpwerx
Banned User
Posts: 8,836
And1: 75
Joined: Jul 19, 2010

Re: Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause 

Post#117 » by Pimpwerx » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:55 am

Not gonna badmouth KG for this, and I don't like him as a player. I think it's respectable to stick with a team to the end. I would've been crushed if Marino ever went to another team to try to get a ring. I feel bad he never won here, but I appreciate his loyalty. KG graduated high school when I did, so he's a little old school. He probably fondly remembers sports before free agency. Lots of fans have no idea what life was like before free agency and cable television's expansion into sports. It used to be the norm to see guys serve out long terms with one team, and you were usually only limited to watching the popular teams, because the small teams rarely got time on network tv.

KG came into the league during the growth of free agency, so he probably identifies more with the old ways of team loyalty. Props to the dude. He may never win another ring, but you should never fault a guy for swearing allegiance to a team. That's actually one of the most noble things in sports, and it's nice to still see some guys honor that in this day and age. Free agency really changed the face of this sport. Players are like mercenaries now. I got no problem with that, but I respect loyalty. PEACE.
User avatar
acrossthecourt
Pro Prospect
Posts: 894
And1: 592
Joined: Feb 05, 2012
Contact:

Re: Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause 

Post#118 » by acrossthecourt » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:41 am

He didn't even want to be traded when he was surrounded with crap in Minnesota. That's just KG.
Twitter: AcrossTheCourt
Website; advanced stats based with a few studies:
http://ascreamingcomesacrossthecourt.blogspot.com
beantownski
Pro Prospect
Posts: 859
And1: 24
Joined: Sep 30, 2009
       

Re: Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause 

Post#119 » by beantownski » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:52 am

The celtics showed their loyalty to KG, and vice versa, by giving him a no trade clause.
KG is as loyal as any player in the league. He didn't want to leave Minny when it was a wasteland around him. Ainge had to do his job and listen to offers, but KG was never going anywhere.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their
shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and
you'll have their shoes.
User avatar
big_ticket
Analyst
Posts: 3,057
And1: 205
Joined: Feb 18, 2011
Location: 63/1740
 

Re: Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause 

Post#120 » by big_ticket » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:19 pm

irie wrote:KG has always been a very loyal guy and didn't want to play anywhere else. Not really a surprise.

fixed
User avatar
inquisitive
RealGM
Posts: 12,027
And1: 780
Joined: Aug 27, 2010

Re: Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause 

Post#121 » by inquisitive » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:41 pm

after watching how KG and Pierce interact with their teammates during games, i think they should retire with the Celtics...i can see how KG and Pierce are so loyal....very genuine.
A rare look at Saenchai's Son sparring with our newest fighter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A3mrtK95q0
User avatar
TONY_YAYO
Senior
Posts: 685
And1: 241
Joined: Feb 05, 2012
   

Re: Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause 

Post#122 » by TONY_YAYO » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:52 pm

KG didnt want to get embarrassed by Duncan in the playoffs I understand.....Clippers will still underchieved in the playoffs..........And how is it loyalty when the team KG's on trying to get rid of his ass. Certainly if they didnt that no trade clause KG would've already been gone.
“I didn’t come for the massage, Funk; I came for the facial.”-Stacey King
User avatar
Dupp
RealGM
Posts: 71,548
And1: 17,741
Joined: Aug 16, 2009
Location: ITT
 

Re: Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause 

Post#123 » by Dupp » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:11 pm

^ Because hes loyal to his team mates and the fans.... Pretty easy to understand really. Bait post is bait.
hermes wrote:
another vote for honda fit
User avatar
TONY_YAYO
Senior
Posts: 685
And1: 241
Joined: Feb 05, 2012
   

Re: Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause 

Post#124 » by TONY_YAYO » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:16 pm

really??? Do the fans really want to keep KG and not get DeAndre and Bledsoe.....I dont think so.....Loyalty getting mistaken for selfishness
“I didn’t come for the massage, Funk; I came for the facial.”-Stacey King
User avatar
WhateverBro
Head Coach
Posts: 6,167
And1: 802
Joined: Jan 17, 2005
Location: Sweden
   

Re: Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause 

Post#125 » by WhateverBro » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:35 pm

TONY_YAYO wrote:KG didnt want to get embarrassed by Duncan in the playoffs I understand.....Clippers will still underchieved in the playoffs..........And how is it loyalty when the team KG's on trying to get rid of his ass. Certainly if they didnt that no trade clause KG would've already been gone.


:roll:

Yeah, so selfish of him to stay loyal to the fans and his teammates all while not trying to move his family and kids out of school to the other side of the country just to get a legit chance at another championship. Can't get anymore selfish than that, huh?

Return to The General Board