Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

CBB_Fan
Senior
And1: 138

Re: Kevin Garnett refused to waive his no trade clause 

Post#91 » by CBB_Fan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:08 pm

Obviously KG cares more about retiring with one (and a half) teams and being remembered as a Celtic, and Ray Allen cares more about helping a team win even if he isn't the star and it hurts his long-term legacy with a lot of people.

I don't either guy is wrong. They just have different priorities.
desertlakerfan
Analyst
And1: 32

Post#92 » by desertlakerfan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:08 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:Too bad, the Clippers would have been something else with him anchoring them. Still, classy thing from Garnett, and i'm sure the Celtics fans appreciate it, even though a Bledsoe+Jordan package would have been great at this point in time.

Too bad for the Clippers that is, I was a bit worried they would make this move and become the western conference favorites for the finals. With OKC trading Harden there really is no clear cut favorite in the west right now, Clippers turning DJ and Bledsoe into KG could of easily put them over the top to challenge the Heat.

Im a bit curious as to what Celtics fans feel is so important about loyalty from KG when you're rebuilding. I don't think you're going to get much better than Bledsoe and DJ for KG. That's two starter quality young players you can rebuild with.
diablerouge
Analyst
And1: 260

Post#93 » by diablerouge » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:26 pm

supremacy wrote:
diablerouge wrote:i'm always amazed that boston fans are buying the loyalty schtick that the celtics are selling when danny ainge looks to trade guys left and right every single year.

he traded ray allen to memphis then memphis pulled out at the 11th hour. he had a deal to the clips for garnett and kg had to wave his no-trade. he lobbed a rondo package to LA for dwight.

but the players should bleed green?

Uhh no? As has been reported, veterans from Bostons locker room came in and forced Ainge to cancel the trade. Why do you think Garnett was so fed up with Ray afterwards, genius?

If you have your doubts, then please take a search on the Boston forums -- the reports citing it are there & even OJ Mayo was quoted stating it to be so.

Edit, here it is since you obviously have no clue what you were referencing:
“I was pretty much set to come here and something fell through at the very last second. A couple of the guys wanted to keep Ray, and management wanted to make the trade.”

And what @ the first part? This is about KG's loyalty. Not the organizations; it's going to act as a business first(hence why KG made sure he had a no-trade clause). wow.. :roll:

1- what feel through is memphis backing out. players never wanted ray to leave but that didn't stop doc from calling ray to tell him he was traded. danny ainge doesn't consult players on trades.
2- the first part is to illustrate how ridiculous it is that boston fans complain about the lack of loyalty from the players when their management has none. expecting unilateral loyalty is silly - can anybody guarantee that ray allen would be in boston right now if he had signed a new contract?
L3GEND4RY
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,188

Post#94 » by L3GEND4RY » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:43 pm

diablerouge wrote:
supremacy wrote:
diablerouge wrote:i'm always amazed that boston fans are buying the loyalty schtick that the celtics are selling when danny ainge looks to trade guys left and right every single year.

he traded ray allen to memphis then memphis pulled out at the 11th hour. he had a deal to the clips for garnett and kg had to wave his no-trade. he lobbed a rondo package to LA for dwight.

but the players should bleed green?

Uhh no? As has been reported, veterans from Bostons locker room came in and forced Ainge to cancel the trade. Why do you think Garnett was so fed up with Ray afterwards, genius?

If you have your doubts, then please take a search on the Boston forums -- the reports citing it are there & even OJ Mayo was quoted stating it to be so.

Edit, here it is since you obviously have no clue what you were referencing:
“I was pretty much set to come here and something fell through at the very last second. A couple of the guys wanted to keep Ray, and management wanted to make the trade.”

And what @ the first part? This is about KG's loyalty. Not the organizations; it's going to act as a business first(hence why KG made sure he had a no-trade clause). wow.. :roll:

1- what feel through is memphis backing out. players never wanted ray to leave but that didn't stop doc from calling ray to tell him he was traded. danny ainge doesn't consult players on trades.
2- the first part is to illustrate how ridiculous it is that boston fans complain about the lack of loyalty from the players when their management has none. expecting unilateral loyalty is silly - can anybody guarantee that ray allen would be in boston right now if he had signed a new contract?

Once again, you're wrong. You have sources close to both organizations, including Mayo himself stating that the reason Allen wasn't traded was because the "veterans" persuaded Ainge NOT to finalize what was practically a done deal. But hey, in your case it's probably more convenient to believe an outside source instead of the player himself that was supposed to be traded. Where do you think Mayo got his information from? His GM or an "outside source"?

And while I think it's pretty idiotic to generalize any fan-base as you just did, it's on par with the rest of your statements. The main issue was never with Ray's "loyalty" but more-so with the fact that he chose to go to the Heat. Especially after certain guys had lobbied for the trade to not go through(this was obviously made known well after the fact). It's understandable, but at the same time irrational.

Garnett is not loyal to Ainge per se. He's loyal to the brand that is the Boston Celtics, his teammates, the fans, etc. At the same time he understands first and foremost that it is a business and that he may be subject to being traded(hence the no trade clause). It enforces the idea that it's primarily a business first, guided by self-interests. That doesn't mean loyalty is non-existent or that there's an expectation of unilateral loyalty throughout the organization. Some facets don't show this, but many do. A GM would not be a good GM if he was loyal to his players. His job is to make the team better by any means necessary. Loyalty in this instance DOES NOT have to be reciprocated. Many are able to understand this, but apparently some just can't grasp this concept.

Signature by freshcontrast
DWiz
Bench Warmer
And1: 698

Post#95 » by DWiz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:50 pm

Do Celtics fans want a rebuild or do they want KG and Pierce till they bow out ?
PetroNet
Banned User
And1: 136

Post#96 » by PetroNet » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:51 pm

why the fck would garnett want to play with a bitch like chris paul and for a terrible coach like del negro when he can stay in boston and play for doc rivers?

Clippers have no shot anyhow. too much comp inthe west and will get clowned by spurs or thunder.

celtics at least have a extreme long shot to upset miami in a weak east similar to last year
Nobymoby
Starter
And1: 532

Post#97 » by Nobymoby » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:52 pm

Had every right to exercise his no trade clause. Don't see anything to moan about.
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
L3GEND4RY
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,188

Post#98 » by L3GEND4RY » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:55 pm

Prime James wrote:Do Celtics fans want a rebuild or do they want KG and Pierce till they bow out ?

The rebuild is coming. That's for sure. But good luck trading Pierce for a rumored package of Humphries/Brooks or JJ/and whatever other garbage and still keeping your job. There really was no offer that would have substantially expedited the rebuild.

Signature by freshcontrast
final
Junior
And1: 35

Post#99 » by final » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:58 pm

I think Garnett is tired and happy enough just staying in Boston where he doesn't need to worry about anything - moving, pressure, money, people around him, organization, etc. Also KG is still the big cheese in Boston proven by calling this C's era the "KG era" along with the "big 3" era.

Also I can't think of any team that routinely puts out their players in trading circles throughout the season for multiple seasons. There is always talk every season about some players with some more prominent than others but most of the big 4 were always available (less so KG) and known to be available. I'm not an nba insider so I don't know how much other teams make their players available but with the Celtics you know that practically every one is available and they get thrown about in trades.

The players seem to try to have some loyalty and I love that but the fans and the organization... screw their "loyalty", never seen so much negativity these past few years from fans. NBA is a business right and can't expect loyalty from the organization so stop wanting loyalty from players, its unfair.
diablerouge
Analyst
And1: 260

Post#100 » by diablerouge » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:09 pm

supremacy wrote:Once again, you're wrong. You have sources close to both organizations, including Mayo himself stating that the reason Allen wasn't traded was because the "veterans" persuaded Ainge NOT to finalize what was practically a done deal. But hey, in your case it's probably more convenient to believe an outside source instead of the player himself that was supposed to be traded. Where do you think Mayo got his information from? His GM or an "outside source"?

http://www.celticslife.com/2013/01/doc-rivers-memphis-backed-out-of-ray.html

Doc Rivers reaffirmed why O.J. Mayo didn’t become a Celtic last season.

On WEEI Thursday morning, Doc Rivers said Memphis backed out of the deal that that would have swapped Mayo for Ray Allen.

Ben Rohrbach @brohrbach
Doc on old Ray/Mayo deal: "Memphis pulled plug, not us. … O.J.'s so much younger. That's a trade we really thought we had to look at hard."
2:21 PM - 31 Jan 13

i do agree that it's much romantic to imagine kg and paul bursting in ainge's office and persuading the gm to give one last run to the big 3. even though pierce was also in his hotel room thinking that he was close to being traded to the nets.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,517

Post#101 » by sp6r=underrated » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:19 pm

Not surprising, KG has always been loyal to teams. He never really wanted to leave Minny. To the average fan he will be more remembered as a Celtic but hard core NBA fans will always think of the Timberwolves years first.
tmallory
Junior
And1: 17

Post#102 » by tmallory » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:22 pm

If KG wanted a championship he would have waived. I'm surprised the Clips were hesitantin the first place...you add KG to that squad and they'd actually compete for a title. Alas, KG seems to want comfort/legacy/loyalty instead of another ring. That's fine with me - hopefully Ainge seems the mistake in giving KG the NTC...that three year deal should have been a big enough favor.

The most interesting part of this to me is CP3 saying he'd make it happen if KG was willing. Sounds like he would have threatened to leave in the summer if the Clips were bone-headed enough to decline the deal.
Nanogeek
Banned User
And1: 130

Post#103 » by Nanogeek » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:32 pm

This seems pretty selfish of Garnett. Instead of allowing the Celtics to get some future assets he wanted to retire as a Celtic. I'm sure it would be cool to retire as a Celtic but it'd be alot more helpful if you give them the chance to prepare for the future instead of retiring and leaving them with nothing.
nakedput
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#104 » by nakedput » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:35 pm

that deal would have made the celtics better for this upcoming playoff run and long-term. I think bledsoe has potential to be a top 10 starting pg in the league, we (the celts) could have picked up j-smoove in the offseason, getting rid of stat padder rondo in the process. And lets be honest here, i respect the hell out of garnett for not waiving the no trade clause, but clippers have a way better chance of succeeding in the post season then the grandpa celtics. celtics will not get out of round 2 without serious help from stern err I mean the referee's.
bball34
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#105 » by bball34 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:30 am

The loyalty BS is getting really annoying.
GreenBloodedC
RealGM
And1: 14,436

Post#106 » by GreenBloodedC » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:46 am

bball34 wrote:The loyalty BS is getting really annoying.

You're annoyed because you didn't get the replies you expected.
Well, at least for the most part
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,250

Post#107 » by Infinite Llamas » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:00 am

What did the Jazz get for Stockton when he retired?

What did the Bulls get when Jordan retired in 97-98?

Certainly, the Pacers could of gotten something for Reggie's expiring deal.

They key is that some players like the idea of only playing in 1 or 2 cities for their careers, and they probably like the idea of attaching their legacy to a franchise. The fact that Ainge would even consider trading a guy who wants to retire a Celtic (outside of Pierce...when was the last time that happened lately)? I personally would of been pissed if KG was traded for Bledsoe and Jordan's awful contract. Not every player is a mercenary gunning for rings. And the clear plan is obviosuly to make one last run next year. Sully and Rondo will be back. Jeff Green will be more improved. The team is just a rebounder away from making noise. You just can't put a price on how Loyal KG has been to the C's, and he deserves more respect than to be included in all these trade talks.

Just because Ainge is a wheeler and dealer doesn't mean that all C's fans share that sentiment. Those two guys deserve to retire witht he C's (if that's what they want), and rebuilding can always happen later. Think about Hakeem's legacy had he not spent that one middling year in Toronto? The Rockets got a pick from Toronto who tehy used to draft Nachbar, who they eventually used to trade for David Wesley who left after a year? I wonder if the Rockets organization really thinks that that one draft pick was worth not keeping Hakeem a Rocket for his entire career, which is such a rarity in sports these days.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,508

Post#108 » by GSP » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:48 am

Kg is one of the most loyal players in league history. Hopefully we can make it to the playoffs.
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#109 » by StojkoVrankovic » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:21 am

bball34 wrote:
Steve Bulpett
Moot now, but as to whether KG would've waived his no-trade, CPaul and Chauncey couldn't convince him. Clips were still conflicted.

Ray Allen must laugh at him.
Not by any chance could he get another title with the Celtics.

After reading all of your posts I have come to 2 conclusions.

1. You get off on baiting the Celtic fanbase
2. You know what Ray Allen tastes like
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Post#110 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:36 am

The Clippers completely blew this. Their ineptitude was astounding.

Scenario #1: (which looks fairly close to what happened). CP3 calls KG and says, "There is some conflict here and the front office hasn't made formal trade offer, but if you want to come here I can make it happen."

Scenario #2: CP3 calls KG and says, "Everyone in the Clippers organization wants you here and so do I. We're going to make a formal trade offer and if the Celtics agree, our owner and GM want to reach out to you."

Someone in the Clippers front office didn't want to do the deal and it was torpedoed. A proud guy like KG would never waive his no trade under those circumstances, and the Clips front office should have informed CP3 that the deal was rejected instead of hanging him out to dry.

No wonder that CP3 is now saying that he isn't sure if he wants to sign with LA long term.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit

Return to The General Board