Did Golden State really turn down a trade for James Harden?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

holly1985
Sophomore
And1: 2

Did Golden State really turn down a trade for James Harden? 

Post#1 » by holly1985 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:53 pm

Simmons: And then some. At what point is someone going to break the news to Warriors fans that they could have had James Harden for Klay Thompson before the season? Should we do it in stages? One at a time? How should we handle this? We might have to do an oral history called "The Last Few Days Before Oklahoma City Traded James Harden." I still can't believe that Washington and Golden State evaluated that situation by saying, "Hmmmmm … no thanks, we're gonna roll with Bradley Beal/Klay Thompson over adding a franchise guy." Sorry, I interrupted, go back to breaking down Houston's playoff chances, please.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/897 ... nge-part-1

Just saw the article. Is it true? Or just Houston's offer is better than GSW's? Or it actually never happened?
DreDay
General Manager
And1: 3,212

Re: Did Golden State really turn down a trade for James Hard 

Post#2 » by DreDay » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:18 pm

If you wanted to make a thread about every warriors mistake the board would crash due to the amount of threads made.
whatchaknow
Analyst
And1: 716

Post#3 » by whatchaknow » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:26 pm

Is it really that big of a mistake though?? I know Harden is better but he was due for a big pay raise and Klay is still on his rookie contract. Plus im sure there were other pieces going out. Also didnt GS have to basically give away two bench players to avoid the luxury? Im sure they would have had to follow up the Harden trade with other trades to get rid of valuable contributors to avoid the lux. Either way Hardens great but it was hard to see him becoming what he is now
frizzledizzle
Sixth Man
And1: 130

Post#4 » by frizzledizzle » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:28 pm

whatchaknow wrote:Is it really that big of a mistake though?? I know Harden is better but he was due for a big pay raise and Klay is still on his rookie contract. Plus im sure there were other pieces going out. Also didnt GS have to basically give away two bench players to avoid the luxury? Im sure they would have had to follow up the Harden trade with other trades to get rid of valuable contributors to avoid the lux. Either way Hardens great but it was hard to see him becoming what he is now

Is missing out on a franchise player that's only 23 years old a big mistake?? Didn't he just outscore Durant and Westbrook combined in the win over the Thunder?
StyLeD
Pro Prospect
And1: 17

Post#5 » by StyLeD » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:29 pm

Last season many questioned whether or not he could take the step from 3rd option to first option, let alone becoming a superstar.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#6 » by DanTown8587 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:29 pm

whatchaknow wrote:Is it really that big of a mistake though??

Yes, yes it is. I'm not sure that Golden State had the contracts to make it work, but that also could be a problem since they have Jefferson over Jackson.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,793

Post#7 » by cdubbz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:30 pm

StyLeD wrote:Last season many questioned whether or not he could take the step from 3rd option to first option, let alone becoming a superstar.

false.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
holly1985
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#8 » by holly1985 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:31 pm

I just think Curry and Harden would fit perfectly. Curry is great off the ball and shoots very well. Harden drives and makes plays. They just fit naturally.
The Harden-Lin backcourt is good now. But Lin really struggled for a while playing without the ball and he's no where near Curry as a shooter.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,466

Post#9 » by dockingsched » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:31 pm

DanTown8587 wrote:
whatchaknow wrote:Is it really that big of a mistake though??

Yes, yes it is. I'm not sure that Golden State had the contracts to make it work, but that also could be a problem since they have Jefferson over Jackson.

very easy to make it work, harden is only making 5.8 mil this yr.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
KrazySixersD
General Manager
And1: 1,008

Post#10 » by KrazySixersD » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:36 pm

only those who dont know bball wondered if harden would succeed as a number 1 option... he had every tool... size, athletic, shooting ability, able to finish with contact and get to the line, handles...

dude was poised to break out... if this is true, yet another example of a team's ownership caring more about money than winning... which is truly sad and pathetic
Totem
Analyst
And1: 3,161

Post#11 » by Totem » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:37 pm

StyLeD wrote:Last season many questioned whether or not he could take the step from 3rd option to first option, let alone becoming a superstar.

The thing is, at worst he would be a nice yet expensive 2nd/3rd option next to curry and lee. The only way you lose in this situation is financially for the warriors.
Product of TZ
Jazza2319
Bench Warmer
And1: 128

Post#12 » by Jazza2319 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:50 pm

KrazySixersD wrote:only those who dont know bball wondered if harden would succeed as a number 1 option... he had every tool... size, athletic, shooting ability, able to finish with contact and get to the line, handles...

dude was poised to break out... if this is true, yet another example of a team's ownership caring more about money than winning... which is truly sad and pathetic

The only reason people questioned his ability to be a number 1 option was because he played like crap in the finals, and most people assumed he was getting his numbers against other team's benches without looking at the advanced stats

If this trade were the case, then GSW certainly missed out on possibly being a Western Conference Champion contender next year and going forward. You still would have had Curry, Lee, Bogut and Harden. Unless the trade involved swapping Perkins with Bogut as well, i'm not sure how they could've passed up that trade
Jazza2319
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by Jazza2319 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:51 pm

momo124 wrote:

The thing is, at worst he would be a nice yet expensive 2nd/3rd option next to curry and lee. The only way you lose in this situation is financially for the warriors.

they would've only had next season where they were in the luxury tax because of Biedrins and Jefferson's player options. 2015 going forward they would've been fine
KrazySixersD
General Manager

Post#14 » by KrazySixersD » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:53 pm

man, im not even a GS fan but this angers me....
gordito
Rookie
And1: 33

Post#15 » by gordito » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:02 pm

Jazza2319 wrote:
KrazySixersD wrote:only those who dont know bball wondered if harden would succeed as a number 1 option... he had every tool... size, athletic, shooting ability, able to finish with contact and get to the line, handles...

The only reason people questioned his ability to be a number 1 option was because he played like crap in the finals, and most people assumed he was getting his numbers against other team's benches without looking at the advanced stats

If this trade were the case, then GSW certainly missed out on possibly being a Western Conference Champion contender next year and going forward. You still would have had Curry, Lee, Bogut and Harden. Unless the trade involved swapping Perkins with Bogut as well, i'm not sure how they could've passed up that trade

Considering OKC kept Perkins in the HOU deal, I think it's very plausible the deal was Klay Thompson/Harrison Barnes/draft picks.
day1086
Junior
And1: 228

Post#16 » by day1086 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:02 pm

James harden is the most overrated player in the NBA.

Shoots garbage from anywhere except the rim, stats hugely inflated by freethrow attempts, when he drives to the rim he reaches his arm out with the intent of having his arm be hit and flails in attempt to get a call rather than protecting the ball in his pocket and trying to actually score. He's bad from mid range, mediocre from 3, at rim stats inflated by fouls, and highly turnover prone. His raw stats are also largely inflated by pace.

I hate everything about his play style.

no thx.

the only thing that would make me like him is that his driving style would be a perfect match for curry. I would never want him as a first option on a contending team though.
Jazza2319
Bench Warmer

Post#17 » by Jazza2319 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:04 pm

gordito wrote:
Jazza2319 wrote:

Considering OKC kept Perkins in the HOU deal, I think it's very plausible the deal was Klay Thompson/Harrison Barnes/draft picks.

That's what i thought at first but i wasn't sure about trading rookies

Warrior fans, would you have done Harden & Perkins for Bogut & Thompson? It's a pretty interesting idea, the Warriors are one of the few teams that have the shooting on the floor to minimize Perkins offensive weaknesses
KrazySixersD
General Manager

Post#18 » by KrazySixersD » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:07 pm

lol at the guy saying harden is overated ^ lolol

it probly woulda been klay, barnes, and a pick
whatchaknow
Analyst
And1: 716

Post#19 » by whatchaknow » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:11 pm

Typical people overreacting. Nobody even knows the specifics of the trade "proposal" but its safe to say that Klay for Harden straight up was not gonna be the whole trade. I love how people just think Bill Simmons knows what hes talking about, which gms did he talk to get the info on these trades? He does this all the time just watch him before the trade deadline hes constantly offering up these $**** trades saying "who says no?", like he is some great gm.

Look im not gonna act like i knew that Harden was going to be as good as he is but as a Blazer fan i was willing to give up virtually anything to get my hands on him. But every team is in a different situation and if your not 100% sold on a guy then its hard for gms to pull the trigger, especially when your trading very very good young prospects. The verdict is still out on Thompson and Beal but its safe to say they have shown enough to not make it look idiotic of their gms to not trade them.

I think we should praise Houston for seeing the potential of James and being willing to fork out what they did, instead of chastise these other teams for not giving up what other teams were also not willing to give up. If that makes sense :-? ??
Honey Bear
Starter
And1: 179

Post#20 » by Honey Bear » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:14 pm

day1086 wrote:James harden is the most overrated player in the NBA.

Shoots garbage from anywhere except the rim, stats hugely inflated by freethrow attempts, when he drives to the rim he reaches his arm out with the intent of having his arm be hit and flails in attempt to get a call rather than protecting the ball in his pocket and trying to actually score. He's bad from mid range, mediocre from 3, at rim stats inflated by fouls, and highly turnover prone. His raw stats are also largely inflated by pace.

I hate everything about his play style.

no thx.

the only thing that would make me like him is that his driving style would be a perfect match for curry. I would never want him as a first option on a contending team though.

Yup... you're just a hater. Nothing you've said is accurate. Keep sipping the haterade.

Return to The General Board