Players never seem to score 50 in a game anymore...

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

King d
Banned User
And1: 40

Re: Players never seem to score 50 in a game anymore... 

Post#81 » by King d » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:08 pm

tsherkin wrote:
King d wrote:
You making it sound like averaging +20 ppg was something easy nowadays. Did you know only 11 players are doing it this year?

LMA has been one of the most consistent elite scorers in the league for the last 3 years

When did LMA become an elite scorer? That has not happened at all, he's a decidedly mediocre volume scoring weapon.

Since 3 years ago when Roy started to decline. He has been basically at the top 10 scoring list with + 20ppg and around 50% FG for the last 3 years

You need to follow the nba a little bit more
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,075

Post#82 » by tsherkin » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:16 pm

King d wrote:Since 3 years ago when Roy starting to decline. He has been basically at the top 10 scoring list with + 20ppg and around 50% FG for the last 3 years

Raw volume != elite, was my point.

Aldridge is a tepid, unimpressive scorer. He's a pretty solid second option, but pinning your offense on him is a bad idea because he's comparatively inefficient and isn't really a remarkable takeover scorer. The last 2+ seasons, he's been taking 17+ FGA/g and returning 21-22 ppg with unimpressive efficiency. The thing that impresses me the most about him is how few mistakes he makes as far as turning the ball over, which is the only reason his ORTG is anything special at all. He's an OK offensive rebounder who doesn't dominate as far as field goal efficiency and who shoots WAY too much beyond the foul line. He's got a pretty solid post game when he uses it, and in fact last season and this season, his finishing rate around the low block has been impressive, but he's not a maximally efficient guy. He's been around league average every season but last year. He's slowly but steadily improved since his rookie season, save this year when he's regressed because of the raw volume of long twos he takes, at which he is not good enough to merit that kind of volume, especially given how little he draws fouls and that he doesn't generate a ton of shots at the rim.

Is he above average? Sure. He's actually having his worst scoring season in several years right now, though, and that's coinciding with his highest raw-volume shooting season (second-highest per-minute shooting rate) and that's not great.

He's a shooter, and he isn't particularly elite in any regard. That's not the portfolio of an elite scorer. Worse, he's less effective in his own conference (typically tougher competition) and does most of his volume scoring on the basis of minutes played rather than efficient output.

Aldridge is far from elite, that's a word people toss around a little too casually. He's an OK, average-ish volume scorer. Not much to write home about, particularly this year. Last year, he looked and performed a lot better than he has so far this season.

You should probably pay a little more attention to things other than raw scoring volume.
King d
Banned User
And1: 40

Post#83 » by King d » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:33 pm

tsherkin wrote:
King d wrote:Since 3 years ago when Roy starting to decline. He has been basically at the top 10 scoring list with + 20ppg and around 50% FG for the last 3 years

Raw volume != elite, was my point.

Aldridge is a tepid, unimpressive scorer. He's a pretty solid second option, but pinning your offense on him is a bad idea because he's comparatively inefficient and isn't really a remarkable takeover scorer. The last 2+ seasons, he's been taking 17+ FGA/g and returning 21-22 ppg with unimpressive efficiency. The thing that impresses me the most about him is how few mistakes he makes as far as turning the ball over, which is the only reason his ORTG is anything special at all. He's an OK offensive rebounder who doesn't dominate as far as field goal efficiency and who shoots WAY too much beyond the foul line. He's got a pretty solid post game when he uses it, and in fact last season and this season, his finishing rate around the low block has been impressive, but he's not a maximally efficient guy. He's been around league average every season but last year. He's slowly but steadily improved since his rookie season, save this year when he's regressed because of the raw volume of long twos he takes, at which he is not good enough to merit that kind of volume, especially given how little he draws fouls and that he doesn't generate a ton of shots at the rim.

Is he above average? Sure. He's actually having his worst scoring season in several years right now, though, and that's coinciding with his highest raw-volume shooting season (second-highest per-minute shooting rate) and that's not great.

He's a shooter, and he isn't particularly elite in any regard. That's not the portfolio of an elite scorer. Worse, he's less effective in his own conference (typically tougher competition) and does most of his volume scoring on the basis of minutes played rather than efficient output.

Aldridge is far from elite, that's a word people toss around a little too casually. He's an OK, average-ish volume scorer. Not much to write home about, particularly this year. Last year, he looked and performed a lot better than he has so far this season.

You should probably pay a little more attention to things other than raw scoring volume.

You sir have no clue what you are talking about. You can write the bible here if you want, but that doesnt change the fact that LMA IS one of the better scorers in the league since years, like I said top 10 + 20ppg + 50%fg for the last 3 years isn't an easy task. That makes him an elite scorer just by using a little bit of common sense.

Average mediocre volume scorers don't get double and triple teammed every game sir. But I'm done with this discussion, too many casual fans around here.
KennyDuwayne
Senior
And1: 1,068

Post#84 » by KennyDuwayne » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:39 pm

bledredwine wrote:
King d wrote:
You making it sound like averaging +20 ppg was something easy nowadays. Did you know only 11 players are doing it this year?

LMA has been one of the most consistent elite scorers in the league for the last 3 years

Only 11 people are doing it this year because our superstars suck at scoring compared to the 2000s with shaw t-mac etc. and especially the 90s

like it's easy "nowadays"

Are you trying to imply that for some reason, it's harder?
Are you implying that Lamarcus Aldridge would average 25 in the 90s? Are you implying that the top 15 stars now are awesome? The reason why there's only 11 people averaging that is because our superstars do not compare... it's been on a steady decline for years now and players aren't forced to learn an effective post-game like they had to when defenses were tough.

Dude, in terms of scoring, we are in a particularly weak era. That's just the way it is. You can't argue for this era because Kobe is STILL a top scorer in the league.....

Jrue Holiday is a top 15 scorer this last year. So was Brandon Jennings. WTF?? P.P. KG are still relevant and desired as player in old old age, Dirk just won a championship.... you can't say it's hard to score nowadays, esp. since the rule changes in 1999-2001 caused perimeter scoring to shoot up.

Jordan, Malone, Barkley, Ewing, Olajuwon, Shaq, Kemp, Drexler, Robinson, Pippen, Miller, Mourning, Hill, T. Hardaway, Ritchmond, Mullin... the 90s were frickin stacked with talented, finess scorers.

These guys were ALL better scorers than LMA with the exception of maybe Pippen. How many of them during seasons of barely averaging 20, had 50 point games?

LMA can't score 50 points without multiple overtimes. Quote me on that, sig it, do whatever.

How did you even come to the conclusion that he said it was harder to score 20 ppg now than it used to be? All he said was that it's still not easy.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#85 » by tsherkin » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:42 pm

King d wrote:You sir have no clue what you are talking about. You can write the bible here if you want, but that doesnt change the fact that LMA IS one of the better scorers in the league since years, like I said top 10 + 20ppg + 50%fg for the last 3 years isn't an easy task. That makes him an elite scorer just by using a little bit of common sense.

No it doesn't. Are you familiar with the definition of "elite?"

Yeah, Aldridge is a pretty good mid-post player and as such, he commands attention because if you screw around defensively with such a player, you're in a lot of trouble. The lion's share of his shooting volume comes above the foul line, though, on inefficient long two-pointers that aren't great shots and he doesn't get to the rim all that well, nor does he draw fouls effectively. The pay out for running the ball into him is not as high as it is for the top tier of scorers in the league, which is about as blunt as it can be put as far as denying his status as an elite scorer in the league.

The best or most skilled members of a group doesn't at ALL describe Aldridge's scoring ability relative to his peers. There are several players who sit in a tier well above his reach, and that immediately dispels the idea that he is elite. There are perennially a number of players who are put into positions where they see some doubles and even triples because they are the primary offensive weapons on a team, even if their skills don't match what you'd like to see from a player featured in that role.

Don't "sir" me because you don't know what you're talking about...

Aldridge is OK, and Portland's offense is not their problem really, it's their defense. But they could be a lot better than an average defense (which they are) if he was a better scorer, if he were ACTUALLY a scorer of the appropriate caliber to be termed "elite."

He has more in common with Joe Johnson than with James Harden, Lebron James, Kevin Durant, etc. He's a low-efficiency scorer. Commanding defensive attention is more a function of volume and location relative to the basket than it is always necessary an indicator of your actual value as a scoring threat. In LMA's case, he's tall and when he stands near to the hoop, it pays to cover him because those are higher-percentage shots that are more likely to draw fouls, ergo they are more efficient. His shot selection isn't fantastic and his per-possession pay out is weak compared to the truly elite scorers in the league. Hell, I haven't even mentioned Kobe or Melo, and while both of them are coming down from unsustainable shooting earlier in the season, they're STILL both considerably better at shouldering the offensive load than is Aldridge.

I can't fathom how you came to the conclusion that he's an elite scorer, it honestly baffles my mind. If he were in a situation where his team's offense was clicking along really well and he was just underrepresented because of low volume, I'd understand, but this is a guy who's best attribute is that he doesn't screw up a lot, not that his scoring possessions tend to end in actual points for his team at an elite rate. He's got way too many holes in and problems with his scoring game to be considered elite at the levels of efficiency that he typically produces, especially with that shot distribution.
CthulhuRerises
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#86 » by CthulhuRerises » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:33 am

tsherkin wrote:
CthulhuRerises wrote:While I agree, it's certainly not unreasonable that LMA puts up 50 one day. Juwan Howard did it, and he was a similar efficiency/volume scorer. I'd give him a soft 40% of pulling it off.

Juwan Howard's career high is 42, not 50...

Really? Yikes...my bad. I could have sworn I remembered him getting 50 as a Mav. Must have been thinking of SAR (who is in the same boat of volume/efficiency).
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by tsherkin » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:47 am

CthulhuRerises wrote:Really? Yikes...my bad. I could have sworn I remembered him getting 50 as a Mav. Must have been thinking of SAR (who is in the same boat of volume/efficiency).

He scored 40+ twice in his second season and then never again, yeah.

SAR, yeah. He has two games of 40+, 43 and 50.

The 50-point game took him 45 minutes and 30 shots. LMA has taken 25+ FGA/g 16 times in his career, and actually didn't score 40+ on any of them. He has 2 40+-point games, though they took him 23 shots each. They also took him 44 minutes and shooting 65%+ from the field.

Such performances make it less and less likely that he'll actually get to 50, though. He's played 43+ minutes in a game 63 times in his career, 44+ 42 times, including 3 times this season. This year, in those 3 games, he took 17, 21 and 22 shots, scoring 25, 21 and 30 points respectively.

This is not the guy you generally want to look to if you're looking for impressive individual scoring output performances.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#88 » by southern wolf » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:19 am

Kevin Love is out injured, that's the problem.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThWUeISMAoM[/youtube]
acrossthecourt
Pro Prospect
And1: 729

Post#89 » by acrossthecourt » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:30 am

Aldridge rarely turns the ball over, which is typically overlooked when evaluating scoring efficiency. He's also a stretch four and this helps everyone else on the court, like the guys who can score inside now (where efficiency is high) with defensive attention at the top of the key because of the all-star.
Twitter: AcrossTheCourt
Website; advanced stats based with a few studies:
http://ascreamingcomesacrossthecourt.blogspot.com
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#90 » by tsherkin » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:23 pm

acrossthecourt wrote:Aldridge rarely turns the ball over, which is typically overlooked when evaluating scoring efficiency. He's also a stretch four and this helps everyone else on the court, like the guys who can score inside now (where efficiency is high) with defensive attention at the top of the key because of the all-star.

Like I said, he's an average-ish scorer who makes up for his rather tepid ability to put the ball in the hole efficiently and for his unimpressive (but not bad) passing with his extreme ball protection. His range isn't a remarkable feature of his game; it's nice, it's definitely above average, especially at that volume, but it still represents bad shots that he's taking as the largest single proportion of his shooting volume.

In any case, nothing about him describes an elite scorer, that's just foolishness when you look at the actual elite scorers in the league.
Deus
Veteran
And1: 149

Post#91 » by Deus » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:00 pm

LMA is a good player but can't win games. Last game against the Lakers he went 6-19 with only 6 rebounds.

He just isn't clutch. Plus, he doesn't get to the FT line enough. He should be doubling his free throws every game.

Right now he averages 5 FTs a game. Great players average 8-9.
xxRoyalexx
Rookie
And1: 128

Post#92 » by xxRoyalexx » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:55 pm

bledredwine wrote:
King d wrote:

Only 11 people are doing it this year because our superstars suck at scoring compared to the 2000s with shaw t-mac etc. and especially the 90s

like it's easy "nowadays"

Are you trying to imply that for some reason, it's harder? Are you implying that Lamarcus Aldridge would average 25 in the 90s? Are you implying that the top 15 stars now are awesome? The reason why there's only 11 people averaging that is because our superstars do not compare... it's been on a steady decline for years now and players aren't forced to learn an effective post-game like they had to when defenses were tough.

Dude, in terms of scoring, we are in a particularly weak era. That's just the way it is. You can't argue for this era because Kobe is STILL a top scorer in the league.....

Jrue Holiday is a top 15 scorer this last year. So was Brandon Jennings. WTF?? P.P. KG are still relevant and desired as player in old old age, Dirk just won a championship.... you can't say it's hard to score nowadays, esp. since the rule changes in 1999-2001 caused perimeter scoring to shoot up.

Jordan, Malone, Barkley, Ewing, Olajuwon, Shaq, Kemp, Drexler, Robinson, Pippen, Miller, Mourning, Hill, T. Hardaway, Ritchmond, Mullin... the 90s were frickin stacked with talented, finess scorers.

These guys were ALL better scorers than LMA with the exception of maybe Pippen. How many of them during seasons of barely averaging 20, had 50 point games?

LMA can't score 50 points without multiple overtimes. Quote me on that, sig it, do whatever.
You may not even know me, I don't really care. But I browse this place often and you're definitely a bottom 5 poster on this board. Literally every post you make is a subtle jab at modern basketball and a verbal fellatio of the "good ole' days" of the 90's. I can't go into one thread without seeing you bring up the weaknesses of this era or how x modern player would never survive in the 90's or how x 90's player is leaps and bounds ahead of x modern player. Your act is tired, desperate, and most importantly annoying.

There, I said it.
RatherUnique
Analyst
And1: 1,431

Post#93 » by RatherUnique » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:08 pm

bledredwine wrote:Melo was in great position to score 50 with the Nuggets, and did it only twice. On the Heat, Dwyane Wade had as much of the offensive load as possible with any team, and he's scored 50 only 3 times... now he's not near the player he used to be. When he joined forces with Lebron, his PPG only dropped by 1.
He was also around 7 assists per game, one year (his 30 ppg year) he was almost at 8. All of those numbers would be career highs for Kobe.

He was always a more willing passer than guys like Kobe & MJ. He just doesn't have their mindset when it comes to getting shots up
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,138

Post#94 » by rockmanslim » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:36 am

Curry 54 and counting
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

deliriousmouse
Rookie
And1: 169

Post#95 » by deliriousmouse » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:38 am

Curry with 54 and a game looking like it will go to a last shot or overtime
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#96 » by TheOGJabroni » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:47 am

Damn if only GS didn't collapse at the end. That game was incredible, I didn't want it to end.
Ming Kong!
RealGM
And1: 31

Post#97 » by Ming Kong! » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:49 am

LOL jinx thread.
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,138

Post#98 » by rockmanslim » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:50 am

Ming Kong! wrote:LOL jinx thread.

Someone should start the thread "Players never seem to score 60 in a game anymore..."
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

Superhuman
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,008

Post#99 » by Superhuman » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:53 am

I was studying then I checked the box score on my phone and then I came a little.
mr_sunshine
Assistant Coach
And1: 482

Post#100 » by mr_sunshine » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:54 am

Woyaaaaas with a nice self destruct at the end. Gee let's go away from the go 11-13 on 3s. Makes sense!

Return to The General Board