How good will Gordon Hayward be?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Re: How good will Gordon Hayward be? 

Post#21 » by Golabki » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:58 pm

Solid starting wing man.

I don't think he skill set to be a go-to-guy offensively or a lock-down man to man defender...

Thinking about the G/F types around his age...

1. Harden
2. George (distant)
3. Evans (I'm still on board)
4. Hayward
5+. Butler/DeRozan/Thompson/etc

I guess I'd compare him to Thompson, but will a much more solid all round game. Or Paul George without the excellent defense.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#22 » by spearsy23 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:59 pm

FortyDayzdone wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:Jeff hornacek to Matt harping. I feel like Utah always has this guy.

Ya a white guy :-?

I think it's absurd when people compare white players to other white player just because they're well..white! Especially when their games are nothing alike! (I'm not white)

With that being said I believe he has the potential to be a Dan Majerle type of player, a nice shooting touch to go along with the athleticism and good BBIQ potentially to be 2nd tier all-defensive for years to come.

That was kinda the point :lol:
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
Green Backpack
Head Coach
And1: 3,280

Post#23 » by Green Backpack » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:06 pm

I'm disappointed in him this season, though he has been injured here and there. I remember coming into the year he stated that his personal goal was the make the all-star team... and he's far far from that.
FortyDayzdone
Senior
And1: 68

Post#24 » by FortyDayzdone » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:11 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
FortyDayzdone wrote:
spearsy23 wrote:Jeff hornacek to Matt harping. I feel like Utah always has this guy.

I think it's absurd when people compare white players to other white player just because they're well..white! Especially when their games are nothing alike! (I'm not white)

With that being said I believe he has the potential to be a Dan Majerle type of player, a nice shooting touch to go along with the athleticism and good BBIQ potentially to be 2nd tier all-defensive for years to come.

That was kinda the point :lol:

You see what I did there :wink: :lol: :lol:
nickforthreee
Sixth Man
And1: 217

Post#25 » by nickforthreee » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:13 pm

poor mans gordon hayward
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Post#26 » by MalonesElbows » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:35 pm

Green Backpack wrote:I'm disappointed in him this season, though he has been injured here and there. I remember coming into the year he stated that his personal goal was the make the all-star team... and he's far far from that.

Kind of hard when a team bases their offense around a non all star, Al Jefferson, by default.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#27 » by Winglish » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:10 pm

Gordon Hayward today = Stephen Jackson ten years ago

They're basically the exact same player in both offensive and defensive statistics, as well as size and shape and the way they play the game.

I watched as Kobe was asked at the Olympic team practices one day to name a young player whose game he likes. There was no hesitation when he said "Gordon Hayward". Kobe went on to mention that Hayward gives him some troubles offensively because Hayward rarely overcommits on defense and never gives up on a play, plus he's very long for a shooting guard at 6'8". On offense, Hayward is an excellent passer. The Jazz offense runs very smoothly through his facilitation, which is exactly why he is a sixth man this year with the Jazz point guard situation the way it is.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,011

Post#28 » by moss_is_1 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:21 pm

Golabki wrote:I guess I'd compare him to Thompson, but will a much more solid all round game. Or Paul George without the excellent defense.

George is very similar to Hayward for sure.

I'd say Hayward is similar to Gino / Gallo. He's been ballin' lately..I think he's a smaller version of Gallinari...where he's more of a 2 and Gallo a 3...but they both get reps as great shooters/bad defenders...when they are good shooters, but not elite, and have a better dribble-drive game, good playmakers and good defenders.

Didn't realize Hayward is up to 14/3/2.5 after a slow start this year.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#29 » by 8305 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:28 pm

Stephen Jackson?

I'm an Indy guy so I think I come to this comparison with some feel for the two players.

Gordon Hayward, solid hard working guy, will only take good shots, unselfish to a fault, multiple skills (defense, passing, handle, shot). The kind of player who populates good teams.

Stephen Jackson, idot who generally thinks he's better than he is, way to often horrible shot selection. Capable of defending when motivated, never saw him pass enough to form an opinion on that skill, good handle for his size, thinks he can shoot. Happiest when on a bad team so he can play without being held accountable for selfish play coupled with poor decisions.
londoncollin
Bench Warmer
And1: 231

Post#30 » by londoncollin » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:37 pm

Winglish wrote:Gordon Hayward today = Stephen Jackson ten years ago

They're basically the exact same player in both offensive and defensive statistics, as well as size and shape and the way they play the game.

I watched as Kobe was asked at the Olympic team practices one day to name a young player whose game he likes. There was no hesitation when he said "Gordon Hayward". Kobe went on to mention that Hayward gives him some troubles offensively because Hayward rarely overcommits on defense and never gives up on a play, plus he's very long for a shooting guard at 6'8". On offense, Hayward is an excellent passer. The Jazz offense runs very smoothly through his facilitation, which is exactly why he is a sixth man this year with the Jazz point guard situation the way it is.

And they both have mad street cred.
Ming Kong!
RealGM
And1: 31

Post#31 » by Ming Kong! » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:24 pm

FortyDayzdone wrote:

Come on now, he's clearly more like a white-american version of Manu.
Xsy
Analyst
And1: 2,237

Post#32 » by Xsy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:08 am

Hayward is going ham after missing 10 games with a shoulder injury.
Jazz on your face.
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant
And1: 129

Post#33 » by TwentyOne920 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:12 am

Winglish wrote:Gordon Hayward today = Stephen Jackson ten years ago

Captain Jack 10 years ago was a starter on a championship team. :wink:
bertrob wrote:Any casual fan saying anything about Tim Duncan is usually wrong

bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.
TwentyOne920
Lead Assistant
And1: 129

Post#34 » by TwentyOne920 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:14 am

Ming Kong! wrote:
Come on now, he's clearly more like a white-american version of Manu.

With an annual injury that keeps him out for a while?
bertrob wrote:Any casual fan saying anything about Tim Duncan is usually wrong

bobly wrote:Kobe locked up his All Defensive Team this year after he blocked Lebron in the all-star game.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#35 » by Flash3 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:01 pm

Wrong Board. We have a PC board for topics as such.

Not sure how many times a day this is said lol :lol:
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.

Return to The General Board