A story about Kobe Bryant's work ethic

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,186

Re: A story about Kobe Bryant's work ethic 

Post#21 » by tsherkin » Tue Mar 5, 2013 2:08 am

Kobe is an impressive player, a legend finishing the last burst of greatness over this and the next few seasons. Stories like this help understand a part of how his career productivity has come to pass.

Remarkable stuff; as the writer said, nothing new, but like few others before him, Bryant's work ethic is a model for pathological dedication to craft, the only way to truly master something.
PCProductions
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,989

Post#22 » by PCProductions » Tue Mar 5, 2013 2:13 am

This helps reinforce my theory that all greats/geniuses are insane in one way or another.
spectacularmove
Bench Warmer
And1: 316

Post#23 » by spectacularmove » Tue Mar 5, 2013 2:15 am

Jellybeans824 wrote:
spectacularmove wrote:"He's cursed just as much as I am"
Indeed he is

Isn't that what MJ said in the interview? What did he mean by that anyways?

I think MJ see some of his competitive drivness in Kobe, and I don't think MJ is a happy dude. This guys are like obsesive competitors, so when their carreers are over, I would guess they don't find much peace in retirement.
you are not your thoughts
PurpleRooster
Rookie
And1: 55

Post#24 » by PurpleRooster » Tue Mar 5, 2013 2:18 am

Every year we get stories, threads and dialogue on Kobe's:

- work ethic.

- will to win.

- willingness to play through injury.

Like clockwork we get them every year, wax poetic about them for a few days, and move on.

They will be back next year. Can't wait.
Enjoy every sandwich.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,071

Post#25 » by MrBigShot » Tue Mar 5, 2013 2:23 am

The man, the myth, the legend...Kobe Bryant.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#26 » by Volcano » Tue Mar 5, 2013 2:26 am

no wonder he sucked in the Olympics, getting enough sleep is extremely important for both his body and brain. Following a regular sleep pattern is important too. This is just going overboard.
FadeawayProdigy
Freshman
And1: 43

Post#27 » by FadeawayProdigy » Tue Mar 5, 2013 2:34 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO9-eETFN2s&feature=channel_page[/youtube]
swag2011
Senior
And1: 17

Post#28 » by swag2011 » Tue Mar 5, 2013 2:40 am

PurpleRooster wrote:Every year we get stories, threads and dialogue on Kobe's:

- work ethic.

- will to win.

- willingness to play through injury.

Like clockwork we get them every year, wax poetic about them for a few days, and move on.

They will be back next year. Can't wait.

a positive story about kobe... you sound upset :lol:
Shot Clock
RealGM
And1: 17,443

Post#29 » by Shot Clock » Tue Mar 5, 2013 2:49 am

Has the person writing this actually identified himself? Any reason to believe it's even true?

Not knocking Kobe I'm just naturally suspicious of these types of "stories"
anyone involved in that meddling to justice”. NO COLLUSION

- DJT
[Presence]
Pro Prospect
And1: 11

Post#30 » by [Presence] » Tue Mar 5, 2013 2:52 am

Shot Clock wrote:Has the person writing this actually identified himself? Any reason to believe it's even true?

Find out for yourself, since the OP didn't credit the original source.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/19 ... _athletic/
Heats_Finest
Banned User
And1: 33

Post#31 » by Heats_Finest » Tue Mar 5, 2013 2:53 am

This is the part of Kobe Bryant that I appreciate and like. But I just can't like a guy who puts up as many shots as he does when he has as good a team mates that he does. I'm sorry just can't.
Shot Clock
RealGM
And1: 17,443

Post#32 » by Shot Clock » Tue Mar 5, 2013 2:54 am

[Presence] wrote:
Shot Clock wrote:Has the person writing this actually identified himself? Any reason to believe it's even true?

Find out for yourself, since the OP didn't credit the original source.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/19 ... _athletic/

Like many people in the link, I'm not sold. It would be easy to make this up.
anyone involved in that meddling to justice”. NO COLLUSION

- DJT
theforumblue
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,893

Post#33 » by theforumblue » Tue Mar 5, 2013 3:03 am

spectacularmove wrote:
Jellybeans824 wrote:
spectacularmove wrote:"He's cursed just as much as I am"
Indeed he is

Isn't that what MJ said in the interview? What did he mean by that anyways?

I think MJ see some of his competitive drivness in Kobe, and I don't think MJ is a happy dude. This guys are like obsesive competitors, so when their carreers are over, I would guess they don't find much peace in retirement.

guys like these aren't after "contentment" or "happiness".

after Beijing olympics most of the comments by the top players regarding kobe had to do with his insane workout regimen. dude is a little bit crazy.
screw these absolute garbage refs
tp2386
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#34 » by tp2386 » Tue Mar 5, 2013 3:04 am

Of course you wouldn't be sold on it. It's something positive about Kobe.
GreenBloodedC
RealGM
And1: 14,436

Post#35 » by GreenBloodedC » Tue Mar 5, 2013 3:12 am

He's playing for our rival, and some fans would even hate him 'cause of his attitude.

But you've got to respect his work ethic and competitive drive. Competing in different walks of life, and simply by being a die hard fan of any team, you've got to respect players like Kobe.

#CountOnHardWork
#CelticFanOut
Wile E. Coyote
Lead Assistant
And1: 868

Post#36 » by Wile E. Coyote » Tue Mar 5, 2013 3:22 am

Heats_Finest wrote:This is the part of Kobe Bryant that I appreciate and like. But I just can't like a guy who puts up as many shots as he does when he has as good a team mates that he does. I'm sorry just can't.

OK, early in his career, he deferred to Shaq. He scored far less than he probably could have otherwise. They went on to win three titles.

In the middle of his career, he could have deferred to Smush Parker, Lamar Odom, Luke Walton and Kwame Brown, but decided to take 27 shots a game for purely selfish reasons. Instead of playing in the NBA Finals had he deferred, they wound up losing in the first round a few years.

In his later career, he toned down his selfish tendencies just enough to squeeze out two championships, mainly because he had the Dynamic Duo of Pau Gasol and Ron Artest by his side.

This year, he decided to try out becoming Magic Bryant, only to find out nobody else wanted to take on the scoring load. Around the All-Star break, the realization came back to him that he's a 30 point scorer, not a 10 assist guy. Hilarity ensued.
TheToothFairy
Banned User
And1: 297

Post#37 » by TheToothFairy » Tue Mar 5, 2013 3:26 am

We are witnessing Greatness. The closest thing to MJ I have seen. I hope people appreciate it
MastaStrategist
Starter
And1: 96

Post#38 » by MastaStrategist » Tue Mar 5, 2013 3:26 am

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Heats_Finest wrote:This is the part of Kobe Bryant that I appreciate and like. But I just can't like a guy who puts up as many shots as he does when he has as good a team mates that he does. I'm sorry just can't.

OK, early in his career, he deferred to Shaq. He scored far less than he probably could have otherwise. They went on to win three titles.

In the middle of his career, he could have deferred to Smush Parker, Lamar Odom, Luke Walton and Kwame Brown, but decided to take 27 shots a game for purely selfish reasons. Instead of playing in the NBA Finals had he deferred, they wound up losing in the first round a few years.

In his later career, he toned down his selfish tendencies just enough to squeeze out two championships, mainly because he had the Dynamic Duo of Pau Gasol and Ron Artest by his side.

This year, he decided to try out becoming Magic Bryant, only to find out nobody else wanted to take on the scoring load. Around the All-Star break, the realization came back to him that he's a 30 point scorer, not a 10 assist guy. Hilarity ensued.

:lol: Congrats sir... You now officially own Heats_Finest. No warranty included.
tp2386
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#39 » by tp2386 » Tue Mar 5, 2013 3:30 am

This is a pretty good one too. Found it in the comments.

I actually have some similar stories. My father was part of the Lakers S&C team from 1993-2001 or 2002.
He once said he had to stay at the practice facility helping a player rehabbing from an injury well into the night. An assistant coach Bill Bertka was given the assignment of shutting Kobe down before/after practices because there was concern he was overdoing it and would break down. After they found Kobe coming back to the facility after hours several times on his own, Bill made him give back his key. There was apparently quite the rift between management and Kobe regarding his practice habits and Kobe felt like he wasn't valued. He felt somewhat like he was just a body to them and that they'd lose interest in him if he was hurt. At one point he said something to Jeanie about "if they cant handle me at my worst, they dont deserve me at my best". It got back to Jerry West and there was a sit down to say the least.
Back to the story. My old man is at the facility rehabbing and around 1am Kobe walked down the hall past the training rooms toward the practice court. When he noticed my dad and the player he said "yall didnt see ****" and my dad said Kobe was still at the facility when they left at 230 am. The next day my dad asked Kobe how he got in and Kobe laughed and said "i got my ways". A couple of nights later my dad noticed a sock wedged in between one of the entrances to the building propping the door open. My dad never ratted. Kobe could be proppin with socks to this day. One of my favorites.
jsonangelo
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#40 » by jsonangelo » Tue Mar 5, 2013 3:38 am

I'm not a Kobe fan because he's a Laker but im starting to admire Kobe for his dedication to the game.

Return to The General Board