yardbarker

NCAA Wiretap Headlines

Memphis waives Fab Melo

Moderators: Morten Jensen, Blame Rasho, tsherkin, Doctor MJ, Flash3, UGA Hayes, Basti, KingCuban, NO-KG-AI, Yuri Vaultin, magnumt

Post#1 Memphis waives Fab Melo
Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:21 pm by The4thHorseman

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 14m
Memphis has waived center Fab Melo, league source tells Y! Sports.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 5m
Memphis traded a non-guaranteed contract and cash to Boston to acquire Melo, the 22nd pick in 2012 NBA Draft. Melo's owed $1.3M this year.
The4thHorseman
Veteran
And1: 313

Post#2 Re: Memphis waives Fab Melo
Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:32 pm by Bo Outlaw

Why didn't they just waive Donte Greene?
Bo Outlaw

Pro Prospect
And1: 155

Post#3 Re: Memphis waives Fab Melo
Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:38 pm by Nolan

He sucks but I don't get this. Why'd they deal an non-guaranteed deal for him in the place if they were thinking of waiving him?
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Nolan

Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
And1: 1,677

Post#4 Re: Memphis waives Fab Melo
Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:41 pm by Nyk_Fatboy

the owner of the grizzlies must of thought they acquired the other melo and waived Fab out of disappointment
Nyk_Fatboy

General Manager
And1: 3,568

Post#5 Re: Memphis waives Fab Melo
Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:42 pm by aboogie

I'll take him on the heat
aboogie
Sixth Man
And1: 722

Post#6 Re: Memphis waives Fab Melo
Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:44 pm by loserX

Nolan wrote:He sucks but I don't get this. Why'd they deal an non-guaranteed deal for him in the place if they were thinking of waiving him?

Didn't they also get cash from Boston? Depending on how much they got (Boston should have been willing to pay more than the difference since they get out of the tax), Memphis may actually have ended up financially ahead of where they would have been by just cutting Greene.
loserX

Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,627

Post#7 Re: Memphis waives Fab Melo
Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:52 pm by ManualRam

Bo Outlaw wrote:Why didn't they just waive Donte Greene?

for some reason donte has this reputation of being able to shoot. idk, neither are NBA players.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
ManualRam

RealGM
And1: 2,344

Post#8 Re: Memphis waives Fab Melo
Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:55 pm by franktony

Dude has poor work ethic ! Probably got delusional after he was taken in the 1st round. Yeah, he made 2m but he could have made way more.

Now he has to work twice as hard to become a min player in the NBA
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
franktony

Starter
And1: 370

Post#9 Re: Memphis waives Fab Melo
Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:15 pm by Paradise

Melo is going to LA!
Paradise

RealGM
And1: 1,549

Post#10 Re: Memphis waives Fab Melo
Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:16 pm by MKG35

franktony wrote:Dude has poor work ethic !

Where did you get this information from? You got a source, did Doc or other players mention him during an interview? Would love to hear more.

All I know is or what I made up from all the things I read, is that this kid develops really slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I don't know if it's worth it for an NBA team to be this patient. I would say give him 4 years total and then he can be someone to fill up the roster.
MKG35
Bench Warmer
And1: 389

Post#11 Re: Memphis waives Fab Melo
Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:20 pm by Shamrock

Not surprised, Melo was one of the worst players I've seen in a while.
Shamrock

Analyst
And1: 898

Post#12 Re: Memphis waives Fab Melo
Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:21 pm by Blame Rasho

He is complete trash... but some people were going **** over his meaningless block record in the Dleague. The stupid **** can't even walk thru a door without getting a concussion.
It is illogical to use logic on an illogical person.
Solution...use even more illogical logic to trump their logic.
Things I have learned on the general board this week
Tony Parker had a horrible rookie season like A Bennett.
Blame Rasho
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 2,391

Post#13 Re: Memphis waives Fab Melo
Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:23 pm by Bskey

Heh, I never really got to see him play this last year, he was that bad? Some people were pretty high on him pre-draft.
Bskey
Veteran
And1: 138

Post#14 Re: Memphis waives Fab Melo
Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:28 pm by franktony

MKG35 wrote:

Where did you get this information from? You got a source, did Doc or other players mention him during an interview? Would love to hear more.

All I know is or what I made up from all the things I read, is that this kid develops really slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I don't know if it's worth it for an NBA team to be this patient. I would say give him 4 years total and then he can be someone to fill up the roster.

Well he is brazilian and I've heard it from people involved with basketball in Brazil.

Considering what happened (1 year in the NBA and waived as a 1st rounder) I'd say I believe them. Authentic 7 footers with good shot-blocking skills don't get waived that easily, even if they're raw.
Shaq on Duncan:SA won because of TD, a guy I could never break.I could talk trash to Ewing, get in D-Rob's face, get a rise out of Mourning,but when I went at Tim he’d look at me like he was bored and say:“Hey,Shaq, watch this shot right off the glass.”
franktony

Starter

Post#15 Re: Memphis waives Fab Melo
Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:31 pm by Blame Rasho

MKG35 wrote:

It is pretty damn hard for teams to give up on bigmen.... and he was just waived after his 1st season in the NBA. It reflects on your work ethic and your ability that two teams that they gave up on you.

There isn't a long list of players who get waived after their 1st season and have great work ethic after being drafted in the 1st round.
It is illogical to use logic on an illogical person.
Solution...use even more illogical logic to trump their logic.
Things I have learned on the general board this week
Tony Parker had a horrible rookie season like A Bennett.
Blame Rasho
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 2,391

Post#16 Re: Memphis waives Fab Melo
Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:42 pm by Nolan

loserX wrote:
Nolan wrote:He sucks but I don't get this. Why'd they deal an non-guaranteed deal for him in the place if they were thinking of waiving him?

Didn't they also get cash from Boston? Depending on how much they got (Boston should have been willing to pay more than the difference since they get out of the tax), Memphis may actually have ended up financially ahead of where they would have been by just cutting Greene.

I thought Memphis sent cash to Boston? But if it was the other way around it does make sense.

*Edit found this:

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/press_release/celtics-complete-trade-memphis

BOSTON – The Boston Celtics announced today that they have acquired forward Donte Greene from Memphis in exchange for center Fab Melo and cash considerations.

So I guess you were correct.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Nolan

Forum Mod - Spurs
Forum Mod - Spurs
And1: 1,677

Post#17 Re: Memphis waives Fab Melo
Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:06 pm by sambenno

Send the young fella overseas so he can work on his attitude and his game.
sambenno

Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#18 Re: Memphis waives Fab Melo
Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:16 pm by MKG35

franktony wrote:
Well he is brazilian and I've heard it from people involved with basketball in Brazil.

Considering what happened (1 year in the NBA and waived as a 1st rounder) I'd say I believe them. Authentic 7 footers with good shot-blocking skills don't get waived that easily, even if they're raw.

(If all this is true) it still blows my mind how someone can throw away an opportunity like this .

They love the game or are just in it for the money (either reason is ok I guess), you are able to play in the NBA, all you need to do is work out which is something you've been doing your whole life and you get paid a lot of money for it. How hard can it be?

I don't get these guys.
MKG35
Bench Warmer
And1: 389

Post#19 Re: Memphis waives Fab Melo
Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:47 pm by franktony

MKG35 wrote:
franktony wrote:

(If all this is true) it still blows my mind how someone can throw away an opportunity like this .

They love the game or are just in it for the money (either reason is ok I guess), you are able to play in the NBA, all you need to do is work out which is something you've been doing your whole life and you get paid a lot of money for it. How hard can it be?

I don't get these guys.

It's not the 1st time and it's not the last. Do you remember Joe Alexander? 8th pick in the 2008 draft.

The guy with crazy athleticism that was more worried about the Bucks cheerleaders than with his career. Last time I've heard he was in China.

Those guys just learn when their pockets are affected. I don't feel sorry for them.
franktony

Starter

Post#20 Re: Memphis waives Fab Melo
Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:24 pm by kyphi

but he has such an awesome name! Still, if he doesn't love the game, then he won't work hard. He should pursue other opportunities, imo
kyphi

Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,741

Next

Return to The General Board