how long is Kidd going to be the head coach?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

bastillon
Head Coach
And1: 613

how long is Kidd going to be the head coach? 

Post#1 » by bastillon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:40 pm

Nets are 2-4. they are stacked talent wise. they have been awful offensively in particular (101 pts per 100 possessions). I am looking at those mins averages and can't believe that KG is playing 23 mpg as if he was a bench player. JJ has been spectacular in the time he has played, but he doesn't get enough opportunities and only plays 29 mpg. really the same case with Paul Pierce. meanwhile Andray Blatche has SECOND HIGHEST usage on the roster. coach Kidd has Deron, Pierce and JJ on the roster but they all have a lower usage than Blatche. this team has great spacing and ball movement, they have offensive weapons, rebounding etc and yet can't score points as a unit?

first of all, Deron needs to step up because he has been playing like a scrub. Shawn Livingston is a huge upgrade over Deron when he's on the floor. it's not that he isn't making shots or whatever the case may be, it's that he makes absolutely dumb plays. how in the world can you turn the ball over 1 on 1 as a top PG in the league? (remember Oladipo 360?) Kidd was supposed to make Deron better with his coaching, and Deron is playing dumber than ever. the number of unforced dribbling turnovers is mind boggling to me. if Deron isn't healthy because of the ankle or whatever, then why don't you play Livingston more? he is running the offense better than Deron right now. I'm not even talking about numbers here, Livingston actually has been making better point guard decisions than Deron. the guy is totally legit. he is making look Deron like a complete idiot.

second, Nets need to play through Lopez because he is a beast offensively. in the game vs Wizzards Lopez had like 20 pts with almost 100% FG at halftime and Nets were rolling offensively when they were running their offense through him. then in the second half he rarely had the opportunity to score. Lopez should be the undisputed first option when he isn't playing Hibbert/Dwight.

third, that rotation is simply ridiculous. Kidd has no clue whatsoever. how the hell are you going to play your stars 25-30 mpg? how in the world are there lineups on the floor without a single offensive option on the floor with JJ and Pierce sitting on the bench? it seems obvious that you don't have to take out all of your stars at the same time. KG needs to play a lot more mins for this defense to be effective (and needs to make shots offensively because he has been garbage on offense).

fourth, Blatche cannot take a dribble. right now he has second highest usage on the roster, after Lopez. that's just ludicrous. stuff like that makes me wanna cry.
Quotatious wrote: Bastillon is Hakeem. Combines style and substance.
BIG match
Banned User
And1: 144

Re: how long is Kidd going to be the head coach? 

Post#2 » by BIG match » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:51 pm

Everything about that Kidd signing seemed so odd. They were in such a rush to pick him up like there was a line up at his door and from watching real training camp it seemed like he isnt even the coach, Frank runs the show. This is speculation more than anything but it really seemed like KG wasnt to fond of Kidd being his coach...which im not sure if i blame him, the guys only a couple years younger than his coach lol...aside from that, players need to respect their coach and for vets like those guys Id think theyd need more than a rookie coach
menten
Sixth Man
And1: 1,013

Post#3 » by menten » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:53 pm

1-2 seasons

and i agree about lopez. he needs more touches and should be the first option offensively
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,474

Post#4 » by Jimmy Recard » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:59 pm

I know he's a rookie coach and all and obviously he'll get better, but he generally looked clueless during the Wizards game from what i saw. It was like every time we made a big basket or went on a run, he just turned to Lawrence Frank expecting him to think of something.

Edit: Agree on Lopez. He absolutely murdered Gortat in the first half. Not sure why they went away from him in the second half.
EGarrett
Sixth Man
And1: 250

Post#5 » by EGarrett » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:04 pm

If you're going to fire people for making mistakes in their first two weeks on an extremely difficult job you're going to have an empty workforce.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#6 » by MaceCase » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:21 pm

His hiring was a bit perplexing given that that is a VERY vet team. A move like that seemed more common for a lotto team looking to sell a couple more tickets than one that clearly has championship aspirations. I thought that they would have gone after a more veteran name, someone with plenty of experience in coaching like half of the guys sitting on NBATV and ESPN. A guy who had already figured it out as opposed to one who has to.

As far as the minutes issue, well obviously this is an old team and they are more concerned about playing in May and June than November. I see no reason why KG or whomever should be playing 36-40 minutes a game especially given their depth. The inverse is that once those guys are beaten down and hobbling past February, people would be criticizing Kidd for mortgaging a championship run for some regular season wins. No, he has that part right even if everything else is head scratching.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core
Green Backpack
Head Coach
And1: 3,286

Post#7 » by Green Backpack » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:27 pm

He's just trying to do his best Dwyane Casey impression
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,668

Post#8 » by prophet_of_rage » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:37 pm

Why is this allowed and my thread on the Nets in general locked?

In any event, Jason Kidd is a gimmick and is not in control of this team. The Nets are supposed to be a championship contender. You cannot have a rookie coach given the reins and expect a championship. Since Kidd came back their only win is against Utah, I believe and they've been pretty decisively beaten in every other game.
BlackFalconGSW
Banned User
And1: 346

Post#9 » by BlackFalconGSW » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:00 pm

2.5 weeks
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,429

Post#10 » by Heat3 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:02 pm

He may not turn out to be any good...but need to give him time. I remember Stan Van Gundy started 0-7 his first year as head coach and ended up leading the young Heat to the 2nd round. That said, SVG at least had a lot of coaching experience before he took over the Heat.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

lorak
Head Coach
And1: 2,233

Post#11 » by lorak » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:08 pm

Right now Nets are THE WORST team on the East (33.3% winning %, all other teams at leats have 40%). That shouldn't have happened with that roster, no matter if you are rookie coach or not.
Bodie Broadus
Freshman
And1: 20

Post#12 » by Bodie Broadus » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:18 pm

I can't really say that Kidd is to blame, because in all honesty he really isn't the coach. Larry Frank makes all the decisions, and anyone who has followed his coaching career knows - this won't end well. Kidd is a token young coach and this silly experiment will not work out. I think he may resign before he is fired, whole thing is a mess. I despise everything about this team.
BlackFalconGSW
Banned User
And1: 346

Post#13 » by BlackFalconGSW » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:19 pm

DavidStern wrote:Right now Nets are THE WORST team on the East (33.3% winning %, all other teams at leats have 40%). That shouldn't have happened with that roster, no matter if you are rookie coach or not.

They will fire JK after an embarrassing loss to the bobcats (nov 20th.)
LastNameEver
General Manager
And1: 9,498

Post#14 » by LastNameEver » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:49 pm

Whats the point of a rookie head coach when you're in win now mode with a bunch of players pushing 40 ?
Not only that, a coach that has no experience whatsoever. Not even as a film JV guy
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,401

Post#15 » by Klomp » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:50 pm

Until he's not
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,067

Post#16 » by sp6r=underrated » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:26 pm

I stated my opinion on the Kidd hiring before the season.

The Nets once again prove why they will go nowhere. Much like Dolan they are obsessed with winning the back pages of the post and Daily News rather than taking steps that will pay long-term dividends.

If you look at the best coaches recently in the NBA they either never played (Pop, Tibs) or spent many years coaching either as an assistant or in the minor leagues before taking the head chair (Jackson, Carlisle).

I have no idea whether Kidd can coach and neither do the Nets but the logic behind the hire is quite awful.

- See more at: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1255671&start=75#sthash.nlgJQe6r.dpuf

I am strongly hoping Kidd fails because the quality of basketball will improve if teams take their head coach seriously. This is a league with herd mentality. If Kidd succeeds teams will be less likely to hire professional coaches in favor of big names.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 13,029

Post#17 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:00 pm

you guys are so reactionary and its comical. If the Nets go on a 10 game winning streak, suddenly threads will pop up proclaiming him as a COY candidate.

Hes been coaching for 4 games. Everybody chill out.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#18 » by Paradise » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:08 pm

sp6r=underrated wrote:I stated my opinion on the Kidd hiring before the season.

The Nets once again prove why they will go nowhere. Much like Dolan they are obsessed with winning the back pages of the post and Daily News rather than taking steps that will pay long-term dividends.

If you look at the best coaches recently in the NBA they either never played (Pop, Tibs) or spent many years coaching either as an assistant or in the minor leagues before taking the head chair (Jackson, Carlisle).

I have no idea whether Kidd can coach and neither do the Nets but the logic behind the hire is quite awful.

- See more at: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1255671&start=75#sthash.nlgJQe6r.dpuf

I am strongly hoping Kidd fails because the quality of basketball will improve if teams take their head coach seriously. This is a league with herd mentality. If Kidd succeeds teams will be less likely to hire professional coaches in favor of big names.

This team was put together by Kidd being hired. Kidd recruited Pierce, KG, Livingston, Kirilenko, etc.

Almost every player here got talked to Kidd and then wanted join.

He isn't really the reason they are losing anyhow.
EGarrett
Sixth Man
And1: 250

Post#19 » by EGarrett » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:08 pm

MaceCase wrote:His hiring was a bit perplexing given that that is a VERY vet team. A move like that seemed more common for a lotto team looking to sell a couple more tickets than one that clearly has championship aspirations. I thought that they would have gone after a more veteran name, someone with plenty of experience in coaching like half of the guys sitting on NBATV and ESPN. A guy who had already figured it out as opposed to one who has to.

Kidd was hired before they traded for KG and Pierce.
MaceCase
General Manager
And1: 2,483

Post#20 » by MaceCase » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:26 pm

EGarrett wrote:
MaceCase wrote:His hiring was a bit perplexing given that that is a VERY vet team. A move like that seemed more common for a lotto team looking to sell a couple more tickets than one that clearly has championship aspirations. I thought that they would have gone after a more veteran name, someone with plenty of experience in coaching like half of the guys sitting on NBATV and ESPN. A guy who had already figured it out as opposed to one who has to.

Kidd was hired before they traded for KG and Pierce.

So remind me, were the Nets dramatically younger before the trade or what? His inexperience doesn't change whether it's Johnson, Deron and Wallace or Johnson, Deron, KG and Pierce. Either iterations are win now cores that would warrant an experienced coach leading them as opposed to one that hasn't done it at any level.
*WLONC*
We Like Our New Core

Return to The General Board