ESPN adds new overall stat...REAL PLUS/MINUS..Finally!

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

jinxed
Starter
And1: 1,298

ESPN adds new overall stat...REAL PLUS/MINUS..Finally! 

Post#1 » by jinxed » Mon Apr 7, 2014 5:39 pm

ESPN has finally gotten on board with the statistical revolution and added their version of adjusted plus/minus.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM

This stat is the best because it measures all the little things that don't show up in a box score, but help your team win, and on defense. In terms of wins added (RAPM + minutes played)...here are the most productive players in the league..

1 LeBron James,
2 Kevin Durant,
3 Stephen Curry,
4 Chris Paul,
5 Kevin Love,
6 Dirk Nowitzki,
7 DeAndre Jordan,
8 Andre Iguodala,
9 Blake Griffin,
10 LaMarcus Aldridge,
11 Tim Duncan,
12 Ricky Rubio,
13 Kyle Lowry,
14 Goran Dragic,
15 Joakim Noah
Check out my book! "The Awakened Ape :A Biohacker's Guide to Evolutionary Fitness, Natural Ecstasy, and Stress-Free Living"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MSJN3Q4?ref_=pe_2427780_160035660
criteriado
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,257

Re: NBA adds new overall stat...REAL PLUS/MINUS..Finally! 

Post#2 » by criteriado » Mon Apr 7, 2014 5:44 pm

Finally. A stat that values defense. Of course there are outliers,(Collison 6th on RPM) but high level role players finally will be valued by people that only looked at PER.
John Long
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,026

Post#3 » by John Long » Mon Apr 7, 2014 5:45 pm

Clippers 3 players in the top 15 - you'd expect them to have a better record than they currently have
Timberwolves 2 players in the top 15 - yet they won't sniff the playoffs

Goran Dragic is legit.
"...things are never as good or as bad as they seem in the moment in time." - Kobe
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Re: ESPN adds new overall stat...REAL PLUS/MINUS..Finally! 

Post#4 » by MisterHibachi » Mon Apr 7, 2014 5:50 pm

The link has a different ranking than what you posted. Am I missing something?

Edit: ah, you posted the WAR ranking.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
jinxed
Starter

Post#5 » by jinxed » Mon Apr 7, 2014 5:50 pm

John Long wrote:Clippers 3 players in the top 15 - you'd expect them to have a better record than they currently have

Goran Dragic is legit.

Yea, I'm surprised to see Deandre Jordan up there.
Check out my book! "The Awakened Ape :A Biohacker's Guide to Evolutionary Fitness, Natural Ecstasy, and Stress-Free Living"

koolcrud
Senior
And1: 398

Post#6 » by koolcrud » Mon Apr 7, 2014 5:51 pm

RPM: Player's estimated on-court impact on team performance, measured in net point differential per 100 offensive and defensive possessions. RPM takes into account teammates, opponents, coaches and additional factors

....wat
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 42,929

Post#7 » by JDR720 » Mon Apr 7, 2014 5:52 pm

criteriado
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by criteriado » Mon Apr 7, 2014 5:54 pm

John Long wrote:Clippers 3 players in the top 15 - you'd expect them to have a better record than they currently have

Goran Dragic is legit.

Yeah. Look at the Wolves bench players in RPM or WARP. Ugly.
koolcrud
Senior
And1: 398

Post#9 » by koolcrud » Mon Apr 7, 2014 5:55 pm

If your new stat says that Channing Frye is better than Blake Griffin, it might not be a very good stat. And Iggy > Durant. And Nick Collison > Tim Duncan. This thing is :lol:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#10 » by Slava » Mon Apr 7, 2014 5:57 pm

Some quick observations just on RPM:

Only pacer in top 40 is West
Dwight & Marc are negative on offense
Far too many Clippers players in the top 40
Iguodola is surprisingly high for an under-par season
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
criteriado
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by criteriado » Mon Apr 7, 2014 6:05 pm

koolcrud wrote:If your new stat says that Channing Frye is better than Blake Griffin, it might not be a very good stat. And Iggy > Durant. And Nick Collison > Tim Duncan. This thing is :lol:

Brandan Wright is better than Griffin on PER. PER is trash, too? Every advanced stat is flawed, but having them helps us understanding the game much more.

I used RAPM this years to see which role players are hugely undervalued. Like with PER, it's flawed on some players, but it's still a good stat.

And Iguodala is not having a bad year, he's been outrageously good defensively.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#12 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 7, 2014 6:19 pm

koolcrud wrote:RPM: Player's estimated on-court impact on team performance, measured in net point differential per 100 offensive and defensive possessions. RPM takes into account teammates, opponents, coaches and additional factors

....wat

yea to me this is more of a team/5-man unit stat as opposed to an individual stat. It is basically just pace adjusted +/- if im reading it correctly

they go through a long winded paragraph to say its +/- but better because it takes your teammates impact out of it, but there explanation doesnt reflect that logic
jinxed
Starter

Post#13 » by jinxed » Mon Apr 7, 2014 6:21 pm

Prokorov wrote:
koolcrud wrote:RPM: Player's estimated on-court impact on team performance, measured in net point differential per 100 offensive and defensive possessions. RPM takes into account teammates, opponents, coaches and additional factors

....wat

so basically, this stat is:
Ortg-Drtg

yea to me this is more of a team/5-man unit stat as opposed to an individual stat. It is basically just pace adjusted +/- if im reading it correctly

You are not reading it correctly. This is an INDIVIDUAL stat, it is ADJUSTED for the quality of your teammates and opponents. Simple +/- is a 5man unit stat, but obviously has the problem of the level of your teammates strongly influences your performance.

What this stat tells you is each players contribution to the +/- score.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#14 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 7, 2014 6:22 pm

jinxed wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

....wat

Ortg-Drtg

You are not reading it correctly. This is an INDIVIDUAL stat, it is ADJUSTED for the quality of your teammates and opponents. Simple +/- is a 5man unit stat, but obviously has the problem of the level of your teammates strongly influences your performance.

they SAY its an individual stat, but i cant find anything in the calculations to back that up... adding slightly more individual oriented metrics doesnt really make up the difference at all imo
jinxed
Starter

Post#15 » by jinxed » Mon Apr 7, 2014 6:27 pm

Prokorov wrote:
jinxed wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Ortg-Drtg

they SAY its an individual stat, but i cant find anything in the calculations to back that up... adding slightly more individual oriented metrics doesnt really make up the difference at all imo

What they do is a statistical technique called "Logistical Regression", if you haven't taken an advanced math class in statistics it is hard to understand.

If you want the technical details, here is a post on it from 82games..

http://www.82games.com/comm30.htm

Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#16 » by Scalabrine » Mon Apr 7, 2014 6:29 pm

koolcrud wrote:If your new stat says that Channing Frye is better than Blake Griffin, it might not be a very good stat. And Iggy > Durant. And Nick Collison > Tim Duncan. This thing is :lol:

Well it's just one stat and it's based more off hustle and defense and things that the basic stats don't provide.

Just like every other stat, it doesn't tell the whole story. Kendal marshal averages more assists than john wall so do you think the assist stat is :lol: ?
Go Knicks!
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#17 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 7, 2014 6:31 pm

jinxed wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
jinxed wrote:

What they do is a statistical technique called "Logistical Regression", if you haven't taken an advanced math class in statistics it is hard to understand.

im familiar (im an actuary).

i still dont see anything as to how it negates the other 9 players on the floor. It moves the needle a bit but not nearly enough.
jinxed
Starter

Post#18 » by jinxed » Mon Apr 7, 2014 6:36 pm

Prokorov wrote:
jinxed wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

i still dont see anything as to how it negates the other 9 players on the floor. It moves the needle a bit but not nearly enough.

Then you simply don't understand the stat. And let's be honest, you are just saying that to back up your original assertion, you don't want to hurt your pride of admitting you're wrong. Be better than that. No one who understands the stat would agree with that assessment.

Or else you can write a detailed paper explaining how the math is wrong and that all NBA teams who spend hundreds of thousands of dollars a year these past 10 years hiring mathematicians to calculate this stat for them are wrong and you are right. Even though you have at most spent 2 minutes looking at it.

Good Luck.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#19 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 7, 2014 6:40 pm

jinxed wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
jinxed wrote:

Then you simply don't understand the stat. And let's be honest, you are just saying that to back up your original assertion, you don't want to hurt your pride of admitting you're wrong. Be better than that. No one who understands the stat would agree with that assessment.

Or else you can write a detailed paper explaining how the math is wrong and that all NBA teams who spend hundreds of thousands of dollars a year these past 10 years hiring mathematicians to calculate this stat for them are wrong and you are right. Even though you have at most spent 2 minutes looking at it.

Good Luck.

clearly i dont, and it has nothing to do with pride. i understand the math, i dont understand how it removes the impact of the other 9 players on the floor. im not saying its a useless stat that doesnt paint a good picture of a players value... i just dont see how its a defensive stat that removes the impact of your 4 teammates and the 5 opponents.

here is what i find flawed:

It is in this regression where the effects of the other players on the floor are accounted for. The bs in equation (1) measure the point differential difference (measured per 100 possessions) of the given player relative to the reference players, holding constant all of the players that shared the floor with that player (and with the reference players), i.e. holding the other players constant. What does this “holding other players constant” mean? Strictly speaking, it means that we can take a player and surround him with four teammates and five opponents and compare how that player’s team would do versus how it would do if he was replaced by a replacement player keeping all of the other players the same. This is what is meant by “holding the other players constant,” since we can repeat this exercise with any other combination of other players.

you are taking something that is inherently variable, and making it constant. you are also ignoring situation circumstances, which is fine when evaluating team defense, but it becomes immensely important for evaluating individual defense. it is operating under the assumption that all things are constant outside of the player in question, at that the level all 9 other players play at is the same regardless of the player who is swapped out -- and that any change would be as a result of the player who was replaced -- which simply can not be assumed.

again, im not saying its a garbage stat that cant help indentify a player worth. but i dont see anything introduced that takes plus/minus down to an accurate individual metric
Greatness
RealGM
And1: 4,525

Post#20 » by Greatness » Mon Apr 7, 2014 6:40 pm

Nice to see RAPM finally gaining steam

Return to The General Board