Ryen Russilo of ESPN agrees with me : racism in the NBA

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Illuminati_
Starter
And1: 346

Re: Ryen Russilo of ESPN agrees with me : racism in the NBA 

Post#81 » by Illuminati_ » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:09 am

No such thing as reverse-racism. Give it up
Prince187
Sixth Man
And1: 1,775

Post#82 » by Prince187 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:11 am

Illuminati_ wrote:No such thing as reverse-racism. Give it up

Yeah you're right it's a stupid term and it makes no sense. It's racism, plain and simple. You can be a racist regardless of your race.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,266

Post#83 » by Nuntius » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:13 am

JohnnyNightrain wrote:I do, however, notice certain players, like Lance Stephenson, seem to get extra-excited when going one-on-one with a stereotypical white player, but that usually just leads to him trying to cross a guy over from 15 feet away and while dribbling the ball off of his foot and out-of-bounds... or getting blocked by Kyle Korver.

In all fairness, Lance gets extra-excited against everyone and will attempt to cross a guy over from 15 feet away almost every single game. It doesn't have anything to do with race.

In fact, his best moves have come against Tony Parker and Courtney Lee and neither of them are white.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
ndnow
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#84 » by ndnow » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:18 am

Mr. Dynomite! wrote:
ndnow wrote:With all those players there is definitely racism, I don't think that's avoidable. Also I've heard multiple times of players demanding black coaches.

Interesting because I heard owners demand white coaches. Who has more clout?

Not that it's on subject but players seem to have more clout lately as you can see by the contracts and by coaches being fired due to players opinions. There have been racist owners too.
Prince187
Sixth Man

Post#85 » by Prince187 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:22 am

Nuntius wrote:
God MC wrote:I will say this, when Chris Birdman Anderson ran up on Tyler Hansborough and was about to lay hands on him. I saw none of his black teammates (Paul George, David West, Hibbert, & Stephenson come to his defense) They all walked off the court and left him to fend for himself. Now insert any of them into that situation, and someone would've separated Anderson, got in the middle and protected their teammate.

I felt that day, Hansborough got no love from the team cause he was the white boy.

No, that had nothing to do with Tyler being white. It was game 5 of the ECF and the teams were tied at 2-2 and there was no one on the court (except Chris Andersen) that wanted to get ejected. That's why Hansbrough didn't continue and that's why no Pacer or Heat player got involved in this incident. No one would risk to escalate the situation.

How many players actually want to get ejected ? And who says they would have even gotten ejected for just running up to the scene ? It also happened right next to the Pacers bench and not a single benchwarmer even stood up. Let's be real here, if it were David West or Lance Stephenson who got shoved by Birdman than something completely different would have happened.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,266

Post#86 » by Nuntius » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:31 am

Prince187 wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
God MC wrote:I will say this, when Chris Birdman Anderson ran up on Tyler Hansborough and was about to lay hands on him. I saw none of his black teammates (Paul George, David West, Hibbert, & Stephenson come to his defense) They all walked off the court and left him to fend for himself. Now insert any of them into that situation, and someone would've separated Anderson, got in the middle and protected their teammate.

I felt that day, Hansborough got no love from the team cause he was the white boy.

No, that had nothing to do with Tyler being white. It was game 5 of the ECF and the teams were tied at 2-2 and there was no one on the court (except Chris Andersen) that wanted to get ejected. That's why Hansbrough didn't continue and that's why no Pacer or Heat player got involved in this incident. No one would risk to escalate the situation.

How many players actually want to get ejected ? And who says they would have even gotten ejected for just running up to the scene ? It also happened right next to the Pacers bench and not a single benchwarmer even stood up. Let's be real here, if it were David West or Lance Stephenson who got shoved by Birdman than something completely different would have happened.

No, the reaction would be absolutely the same. It was an ECF game in Miami's court. Every Pacer knew that if he tried to do anything he would get tossed.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
R U Legit
Senior
And1: 622

Post#87 » by R U Legit » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:11 am

ILOVEIT wrote:
burritoKURUMA wrote:
ManualRam wrote:if you're white, go to any park where the majority of players are black and you'll be treated differently, picked on, called names and will likely have to do more to prove yourself.

This has literally never happened to me.

Are you relating back to something that you saw/experienced as a kid? Cause I suppose I could see kids doing this, but I haven't seen anything even remotely close to this personally.

Has to me :)

I think what bugs me is when people dimiss **** because they can without entertaining the idea that it's there. If you don't care if it's there....just say you don't care.

You're goddamned right I don't care.

People are out here getting stop and frisked, followed around in stores, getting pulled over by cops, passed over for jobs because of having a black name, getting longer prison sentences than their white counterparts when they did the same thing for no other reason than being black and here you are complaining about being called a name on a freakin basketball court.

Sit down, bruh.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,826

Post#88 » by The Sebastian Express » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:15 am

Impacien wrote:
The Sebastian Express wrote:
Prince187 wrote:

You could try calling a 20 year old white male a white guy, white dude, white kid, etc. Do you think there's anything wrong with calling a a 20 year old black guy a "black boy". Why don't you go "hey black boy" the next time you want to get a black teenager's attention, see how that goes. Or how about calling blacks negro's ? Negro technically means black and after all aren't they black ? Plus blacks used to refer to themselves as negro's all the time. It wasn't considered an insult. Even Martin Luther King did.

I'm sorry, but are you seriously attempting to equate calling white men 'white boy' with calling black men and boys 'boy' or 'son'? You're not unaware of the historical racial context behind this, are you? There's no way you can't be, I don't think.

Yes, black people refer to themselves in words which other people of color and white people cannot. This is called reclaiming a word and taking power from it. It's not for other people to use, because other people cannot erase the dehumanizing, demeaning and demonizing nature of the word used over the course of centuries. In fact, other people contributed to taking those words and using them as slurs. If one of your basis in this argument is that it isn't fair that people of color can call white people 'white boy' or 'white girl' and you can't use similar phrases in return based on the person's skin color, then that's quite telling indeed. I think you might wish to familiarize yourself with the true horrors (and I assure you, what you've read in history books or seen on television is hardly the surface) of slavery, racism and the general disenfranchising and dehumanization of people of color, in particularly black men, women and children over the last several centuries.

Edit: Furthermore, your idea that half of the small skirmishes in the NBA involves white guys has no statistical basis, but I'll humor you for a moment and go along. Why aren't you accounting for how many white guys start those? As a Portland fan, I assure you, the skirmishes Joel Przybilla and Steve Blake got into often were instigated by them.

Calling a grown person a "white boy" is extremely demeaning, hurtful and flat out racist. It has nothing to do with fairness or not. It's just about not being bigoted and avoiding using those slurs. Not really that complicated for normal people.

Oh, okay. You think racism towards white people is a thing. Time to disengage.
Manimal
Starter
And1: 1,473

Post#89 » by Manimal » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:27 am

packforfreedom wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw_mRaIHb-M[/youtube]

"Reverse racism" in the context that it is so often used is by far the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Racism is racism. Doesn't matter if it's white-black, black-white, black-hispanic, hispanic-white, etc. Discriminating against someone for their race is uh...racism. Crazy concept, I know. And numbnuts in that video comes off looking like the biggest hypocrite imaginable trying to justify it. Racism is never okay, and it doesn't matter if it's "only a little bit" or "this group has had it worse." It's wrong, period.
Deadpool Raptor
Bench Warmer
And1: 872

Post#90 » by Deadpool Raptor » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:34 am

ManualRam wrote:not sure what the countdown is for.

it's a legit topic and it does exist. minorities in most settings are seen as and are treated like they're inferior. if you're white, go to any park where the majority of players are black and you'll be treated differently, picked on, called names and will likely have to do more to prove yourself. same thing happens in a sport like boxing in america that's dominated by minorities. i've been part of that gym culture for over 20 years of my life. "white boys" have to go the extra length to earn respect and even then, they'll still get called "white boy" and not seen as equals.

this is nothing new. it's the same thing black players have to deal with in hockey and in some instances, soccer.

Maybe it's less about being white and more about being a whiney biotch, the gym culture doesn't like complainers, and you seem to have a 20 year chip on your shoulder.

If you box, it's all about gaining respect when you walk in. It has nothing to do with the colour of your skin if you can whop ass and take names nobody will question you. You think black guys walking into a gym don't get their butts whopped by the veterans in the gym?
Prince187
Sixth Man

Post#91 » by Prince187 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:36 am

R U Legit wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:
burritoKURUMA wrote:
This has literally never happened to me.

Are you relating back to something that you saw/experienced as a kid? Cause I suppose I could see kids doing this, but I haven't seen anything even remotely close to this personally.

Has to me :)

I think what bugs me is when people dimiss **** because they can without entertaining the idea that it's there. If you don't care if it's there....just say you don't care.

You're goddamned right I don't care.

People are out here getting stop and frisked, followed around in stores, getting pulled over by cops, passed over for jobs because of having a black name, getting longer prison sentences than their white counterparts when they did the same thing for no other reason than being black and here you are complaining about being called a name on a freakin basketball court.

Sit down, bruh.

So why do you think all those things happen to black people ? Is it just pure irrational racism or maybe it has to do with a segment which makes up roughly 2-3% of the population (young black men) being responsible for committing 50% of the crime in the United States ? And when it comes to employment there's a little policy known as Affirmative Action and unfortunately it's the law of the land in America. And as a result all other races are actually passed over for less qualified blacks. There are a lot of blacks who have jobs right now that someone else was more deserving of.

And it's really a lot more than just being called names on a basketball court. The media does its best to cover it up but young black men commit race based hate crimes on white people on a regular basis. Ever hear of a "game" called polar bear hunting ?

Impacien wrote:
I'm sorry, but are you seriously attempting to equate calling white men 'white boy' with calling black men and boys 'boy' or 'son'? You're not unaware of the historical racial context behind this, are you? There's no way you can't be, I don't think.

Yes, black people refer to themselves in words which other people of color and white people cannot. This is called reclaiming a word and taking power from it. It's not for other people to use, because other people cannot erase the dehumanizing, demeaning and demonizing nature of the word used over the course of centuries. In fact, other people contributed to taking those words and using them as slurs. If one of your basis in this argument is that it isn't fair that people of color can call white people 'white boy' or 'white girl' and you can't use similar phrases in return based on the person's skin color, then that's quite telling indeed. I think you might wish to familiarize yourself with the true horrors (and I assure you, what you've read in history books or seen on television is hardly the surface) of slavery, racism and the general disenfranchising and dehumanization of people of color, in particularly black men, women and children over the last several centuries.

Edit: Furthermore, your idea that half of the small skirmishes in the NBA involves white guys has no statistical basis, but I'll humor you for a moment and go along. Why aren't you accounting for how many white guys start those? As a Portland fan, I assure you, the skirmishes Joel Przybilla and Steve Blake got into often were instigated by them.

Calling a grown person a "white boy" is extremely demeaning, hurtful and flat out racist. It has nothing to do with fairness or not. It's just about not being bigoted and avoiding using those slurs. Not really that complicated for normal people.

Oh, okay. You think racism towards white people is a thing. Time to disengage.

Wow you think that you can't be racist toward white people ? How are you even a mod
RaptorNews
RealGM
And1: 23,156

Post#92 » by RaptorNews » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:47 am

In a strictly American context: people can be prejudiced against white people, yes. But that prejudice is not institutionalized like racism against non-whites. That's why there is a double standard. Black people have not benefitted from racism in America, white people have and still do.

People who try to remove "racism" from a sociopolitical context to make themselves sound like equal opportunity victims are basically garbage.
RaptorNews
RealGM
And1: 23,156

Post#93 » by RaptorNews » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:50 am

Btw now that Prince 187 has now revealed himself to be almost comically racist, I wonder how long this thread will remain open.

Didn't expect him to come out swinging with the old "Blacks do so much crime and steal the white mans jobs" chestnut but by God he did it.
justin12140
Rookie
And1: 1,064

Post#94 » by justin12140 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:58 am

this kid prince187 is almost definitly a racist. using the same old arguments of the extremely ignoragnt. If you really think that hundreds of years of slavery along with institutionalized discrimination baring AA from getting jobs, loans, living in certain neighborhoods, getting an education and the thousands of other travesties has no effect on what goes on today your an idiot.

and no calling someone a "white boy" is not the same thing as calling someone the n-word, not even close. theirs something "historical context" you might want to look it up in the dictionary
BlackIce
Head Coach
And1: 901

Post#95 » by BlackIce » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:03 am

Prince187 wrote:So why do you think all those things happen to black people? Is it just pure irrational racism or maybe it has to do with a segment which makes up roughly 2-3% of the population (young black men) being responsible for committing 50% of the crime in the United States ? And when it comes to employment there's a little policy known as Affirmative Action and unfortunately it's the law of the land in America. And as a result all other races are actually passed over for less qualified blacks. There are a lot of blacks who have jobs right now that someone else was more deserving of.

And it's really a lot more than just being called names on a basketball court. The media does its best to cover it up but young black men commit race based hate crimes on white people on a regular basis. Ever hear of a "game" called polar bear hunting?

Someone else mentioned classism, I think that has more to do with the issue Russilo was addressing and as you said "it's really a lot more than just being called names on a basketball court." You clearly have an agenda, you dug up posts made weeks ago because the opinion of one person on ESPN fell in line with yours? This isn't a political forum, however you feel about the atrocities being committed against white men I don't see why this medium is appropriate. You made a thread that was supposedly about basketball with the intention of hi-jacking it and making it political. What does OJ Mayo punching Greg Steimsma due to him being white have to do with Affirmative Action? The statement "a lot of blacks who have jobs right now that someone else was more deserving" is meant to inflame, no? You aren't trying to start an honest conversation, that would imply you are open to the notion that although some white players have to prove themselves on the basketball court more then black people for the most part white culture is not being victimized to the same extent others are.

I am a basketball fan period, as are you so why not focus on the positives? If you want to ignore the historical context of "(young black men) being responsible for committing 50% of the crime in the United States" that's fine, but you might want to acknowledge the role that sports (basketball included) has had in advancing race relations. The plight of Tyler Hansbrough is unfortunate and I respect that you continue to advocate for equality for all races but I'm not sure this is the right way to do it.
Prince187
Sixth Man

Post#96 » by Prince187 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:18 am

@RaptorNews you've already shown yourself to be a troll earlier in this thread so I'm not even going to reply to you

@Justin I addressed all your points in my previous posts I've made in this thread. You should read through them. And if stating the facts makes me a racist in your eyes I really couldn't care less.

BlackIce wrote:
Prince187 wrote:So why do you think all those things happen to black people? Is it just pure irrational racism or maybe it has to do with a segment which makes up roughly 2-3% of the population (young black men) being responsible for committing 50% of the crime in the United States ? And when it comes to employment there's a little policy known as Affirmative Action and unfortunately it's the law of the land in America. And as a result all other races are actually passed over for less qualified blacks. There are a lot of blacks who have jobs right now that someone else was more deserving of.

And it's really a lot more than just being called names on a basketball court. The media does its best to cover it up but young black men commit race based hate crimes on white people on a regular basis. Ever hear of a "game" called polar bear hunting?

Someone else mentioned classism, I think that has more to do with the issue Russilo was addressing and as you said "it's really a lot more than just being called names on a basketball court." You clearly have an agenda, you dug up posts made weeks ago because the opinion of one person on ESPN fell in line with yours? This isn't a political forum, however you feel about the atrocities being committed against white men I don't see why this medium is appropriate. You made a thread that was supposedly about basketball with the intention of hi-jacking it and making it a political. What does OJ Mayo punching Greg Steimsma due to him being white have to do with Affirmative Action? The statement "a lot of blacks who have jobs right now that someone else was more deserving" is meant to inflame, no? You aren't trying to start an honest conversation, that would imply you are open to the notion that although some white players have to prove themselves on the basketball court more then black people for the most part white culture is not being victimized to the same extent others are.

I am a basketball fan period, as are you so why not focus on the positives? If you want to ignore the historical context of "(young black men) being responsible for committing 50%" that's fine, but you might want to acknowledge the role that sports (basketball included) has had in advancing race relations. The plight of Tyler Hansbrough is unfortunate and I respect that you continue to advocate for equality for all races but I'm not sure this is the right way to do it.

I really don't think classism has anything much to do with it. There are a lot of middle class and even upper class blacks in the league and in the NCAA and I don't think any of them are treated differently. Kyri Irving's dad works on Wall Street, I don't think he got any **** for that.

I think it's funny how you say I hijacked this thread. Did you read the thread ? It's the hateful people who started spewing their crap about how you can't be racist toward Whites and throwing around racial slurs who hijacked this thread and turned it into something else.All my so called inflammatory statements were made in direct response to statements I find false and offensive. If someone's making false claims then I'm going to correct them. Don't dish it out if you can't take it.

I think it's quite clear why I made this thread. A month ago I brought up a topic that very few people are familiar with and it was met with a lot of skepticism and negative reaction. Then to have a famous radio personality on ESPN actually agree with what I said is quite remarkable and definitely worthy of a thread. Do you have something against free speech and the free exchange of ideas ?
John Long
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,026

Post#97 » by John Long » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:24 am

Prince187 wrote:
Prince187 wrote:

You could try calling a 20 year old white male a white guy, white dude, white kid, etc. Do you think there's anything wrong with calling a a 20 year old black guy a "black boy". Why don't you go "hey black boy" the next time you want to get a black teenager's attention, see how that goes. Or how about calling blacks negro's ? Negro technically means black and after all aren't they black ? Plus blacks used to refer to themselves as negro's all the time. It wasn't considered an insult. Even Martin Luther King did.

I'm sorry how is this relevant ? Why don't you stop regurgitating the leftist propaganda we're all bombarded with on a daily basis and try thinking for yourself, just once. So white slave owners used to call their slaves "boy" huh ? Oh man that's so awful and cruel. I truly apologize for that but what's that have to do with anything. Were any black people alive today slaves ? Were any black people alive today even around during the time of slavery ? Are there any white people alive today who used to own slaves ? I don't think so. So cause Jamal's great great great grandfather was a slave and he got called "boy" by his master you're not just allowed to refer to Jamal as a black boy. But Jamal can call Jackson a White boy and mean it as an insult because Jackson's great great great grandfather wasn't a slave ? How does that many sense ?

Yes, black people refer to themselves in words which other people of color and white people cannot. This is called reclaiming a word and taking power from it. It's not for other people to use, because other people cannot erase the dehumanizing, demeaning and demonizing nature of the word used over the course of centuries.

What is this stickman argument you're using ? I couldn't care less about black people calling themselves "****". It has nothing to do with this thread. But since you want to bring it up, the word "****" actually wasn't "dehumanizing, demeaning and demonizing" back then either. It was used to describe all black people and it wasn't meant to be offensive. I'm sure everything you know about that time period, which has nothing to do with this thread btw, comes from leftist professors and the media. You should try to actually do your own research and read literature from that time period. Black people referred to themselves as "****" back then. To them it just meant black person. And black people didn't "reclaim" the word and "take power from it", contrary to what you probably heard michael eric dyson say :lol:. The media and record execs took that word and made it cool to say. Asians, Whites, Mexicans, etc all use it today as a term of endearment.

In fact, other people contributed to taking those words and using them as slurs. If one of your basis in this argument is that it isn't fair that people of color can call white people 'white boy' or 'white girl' and you can't use similar phrases in return based on the person's skin color, then that's quite telling indeed

Yeah it shows that I believe all people should be treated equally regardless of their race. I know it's an abhorrent belief to have these days. I'm sorry.

I think you might wish to familiarize yourself with the true horrors (and I assure you, what you've read in history books or seen on television is hardly the surface) of slavery, racism and the general disenfranchising and dehumanization of people of color, in particularly black men, women and children over the last several centuries.
Maybe you should familiarize yourself with it instead of just regurgitating leftist talking points. Let me give you a brief history.

Slavery in the United States lasted less than 200 years

The majority of Whites didn't own slaves

There were Black slave owners

Whites went to Africa to buy slaves from BLACK slave owners. Yes blacks were enslaving their own people and selling them to Whites

Slavery was outlawed in all white nations

Slavery has existed for thousands of years. Every race of people, yes even Whites, were slaves at one point. Slavery still exists in the world today. You know where it's most prevalent ? Yup, you guessed it Africa.

Yes it does a have statistical basis. Go look at every skirmish that's happened over the past 2 years and you can see for yourself. You'll see White players being physical with black players, sure, but you'll be very hard pressed to see a white guy throw a punch or an elbow at a black player. And tell me what's Ryen Russillo's dog in this fight ? Are you completely discounting his observations ?

I clearly see the agenda here. You better cite your sources and have some statistical backings from a credible source before making claims that slavery is most prevalent in Africa. Keep in mind that Africa is a continent.

Why did Africans own slaves, they did because it was profitable to own slaves, there was a market for it and who were the major buyers? Yup you guessed it, Whites. The first set of slaves were indeed forcefully taken. European whites encouraged african villages that cooperated with them and equipped them with muskets and ammunition to take over villages that weren't too cooperative to forcefully take their resources and enslaved them to be sold for cheap. Obviously the warriors/villages that cooperated did it for material gain but also out of fear that they or their loved ones would be the ones taken. This has got nothing to do with leftist theories. Go back and study your history if you are so concerned, then maybe you wouldn't b*tch and moan about black players being able to stand up to white players without fear and treating them as equals. Quit playing the victim and crying afoul when all in all what your people have done to other races for generations that still affects generations of today in all the countries that whites invaded has not even come close to whatever scuffle that goes on on the basketball court. Does racism exist? Yes, you want things to change? Fine. But start by looking yourself in the mirror first.
"...things are never as good or as bad as they seem in the moment in time." - Kobe
touchitdave
Banned User
And1: 163

Post#98 » by touchitdave » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:24 am

RaptorNews wrote:In a strictly American context: people can be prejudiced against white people, yes. But that prejudice is not institutionalized like racism against non-whites. That's why there is a double standard. Black people have not benefitted from racism in America, white people have and still do.

People who try to remove "racism" from a sociopolitical context to make themselves sound like equal opportunity victims are basically garbage.

Guessing you've never heard of affirmative action...
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#99 » by ManualRam » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:24 am

Deadpool Raptor wrote:
ManualRam wrote:not sure what the countdown is for.

it's a legit topic and it does exist. minorities in most settings are seen as and are treated like they're inferior. if you're white, go to any park where the majority of players are black and you'll be treated differently, picked on, called names and will likely have to do more to prove yourself. same thing happens in a sport like boxing in america that's dominated by minorities. i've been part of that gym culture for over 20 years of my life. "white boys" have to go the extra length to earn respect and even then, they'll still get called "white boy" and not seen as equals.

this is nothing new. it's the same thing black players have to deal with in hockey and in some instances, soccer.

Maybe it's less about being white and more about being a whiney biotch, the gym culture doesn't like complainers, and you seem to have a 20 year chip on your shoulder.

If you box, it's all about gaining respect when you walk in. It has nothing to do with the colour of your skin if you can whop ass and take names nobody will question you. You think black guys walking into a gym don't get their butts whopped by the veterans in the gym?

i'm not white.

yes, it is about earning respect. in the gyms i''ve been in the white boxers had to prove themselves many times over (or had to already be tight with someone in the gym) to even begin getting good, consistent sparring because they were automatically viewed as lesser fighters. if they came in the gym and they didn't have a thick russian or polish accent, they were treated with even less respect.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
packforfreedom
Analyst
And1: 4,020

Post#100 » by packforfreedom » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:37 am

Manimal wrote:
packforfreedom wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw_mRaIHb-M[/youtube]

"Reverse racism" in the context that it is so often used is by far the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Racism is racism. Doesn't matter if it's white-black, black-white, black-hispanic, hispanic-white, etc. Discriminating against someone for their race is uh...racism. Crazy concept, I know. And numbnuts in that video comes off looking like the biggest hypocrite imaginable trying to justify it. Racism is never okay, and it doesn't matter if it's "only a little bit" or "this group has had it worse." It's wrong, period.

Racism is far more than stupids jokes, etc. Racism is a structural power relationship in a specific historic, ecomonomic context which led to slavery and colonialization. If someone says white people [insert prejudice], it might be dumb, but It's not racism. But if it's about black people it's neccessarely embedded in this specific context and neccessarely reproduces this power relationship called racism. that's the differnce.

Return to The General Board