The Lakers frontcourt

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Mich3006
Head Coach
And1: 3,682

The Lakers frontcourt 

Post#1 » by Mich3006 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:51 am

With claiming Carlos Boozer off waivers the Lakers have a very solid and especially cheap frontcourt.
What's their plan?!?!
Thought they would 'tank the hell out of it' but I think they go for the post! No big differences to teams like NOP, PHX and DAL imo!

Boozer/Randle
Davis/ Hill... MIP in this?!?!
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Re: The Lakers frontcourt 

Post#2 » by JellosJigglin » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:16 am

Tanking is never a plan for the Lakers. They've never gone that route in their history. If they suck, they suck. But they play to win. At this point they're just collecting cheap assets on 1 year deals, hoping to flip them during the season and make a push for the postseason. Then they'll have a ton of cap space again next summer. They're re-building on the fly, just like they did before they got Pau.

As far as the front court goes, I think you got it right except Hill should be starting. He's the better player, although I'll be shocked if he plays more than 60 games.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
Shot Clock
RealGM
And1: 17,443

Post#3 » by Shot Clock » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:39 am

They tanked last year. Stop with the "we are above that" nonsense.

Kobe goes out with a 6 week injury that suddenly turned into a 4 month season ending one that miraculously healed and was cleared to practice as soon as the season ended.

Pau gets "vertigo"? That's likely the oldest tanking "injury" ever.

The front office tanked last season perfectly and LA fans still buy it in spite of how obvious it was.
anyone involved in that meddling to justice”. NO COLLUSION

- DJT
Darko Miliminutes
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#4 » by Darko Miliminutes » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:01 am

They still have Sacre too, don't they?
Will you fools ever realize that when the cameras are on and the microphones are hot, they are Lying to you! Lying to illicit a prescribed reaction, to easier manipulate you.

Useful idiots!
marcush
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,141

Post#5 » by marcush » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:23 am

Darko Miliminutes wrote:They still have Sacre too, don't they?

Exactly. Don't sleep on Bob Sacre.
frozt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,282

Post#6 » by frozt » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:15 pm

I actually thinK Sacre and Hill areserviceable backups, slightly underrated.
Resident band wagon vigilante.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#7 » by LloydFree » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:13 pm

Jordan Hill will quietly be the best frontcourt player on that team.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
DoubleLintendre
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,621

Post#8 » by DoubleLintendre » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:20 pm

I think it was a bad idea to pick up Boozer. They could've developed Randle quicker if they gave him most of the minutes that Boozer will play. I don't know if I'd want Booz being the big man vet to mentor Randle anyways. (Does Randle really need to learn the Boozer scream of bloody murder when laying the ball up?)

That front court is really okay. Jordan Hill is my personal favorite out of the bunch. He's a high motor guy with size/athleticism that is a beast on the boards.
JellosJigglin
RealGM

Post#9 » by JellosJigglin » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:32 pm

Shot Clock wrote:They tanked last year. Stop with the "we are above that" nonsense.

Kobe goes out with a 6 week injury that suddenly turned into a 4 month season ending one that miraculously healed and was cleared to practice as soon as the season ended.

Pau gets "vertigo"? That's likely the oldest tanking "injury" ever.

The front office tanked last season perfectly and LA fans still buy it in spite of how obvious it was.

Sorry but no one can talk Kobe into sitting out if he's been cleared to play. RealGM tells us everyday that Kobe is only gunning for the scoring title at this point of his career. Winning/losing is no longer the motivation for Kobe. Amirite? So this entire message board disagrees with you.

Judging by your quotation marks, you have no idea what vertigo is. It's difficult just standing up with vertigo, let alone playing in a professional basketball game. He couldn't even leave the hotel room when he had it.

Pau Gasol wrote:"Just really light-headed, dizzy, drowsy state for five to six days at home without really moving much. Just laying (down). Let my system kind of readjust. Because it was scary. A scary moment for me and my family and the ones that love me.

It was a nightmare. I was feeling terrible. Everybody that saw me, they felt bad because I was extremely pale. I was kind of shivering. I couldn't really move. I had three liters of IV fluid. I couldn't get up. I couldn't sit. The had to take me to the hospital on a stretcher. So, the whole experience was not pleasant."

Not to mention the strained groin, which was confirmed with an MRI. Of course in your world it's possible the Lakers' medical staff hired a stand-in, who just happened to have a strained groin, take the scan in Pau's place.
NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant
And1: 828

Post#10 » by NOODLESTYLE » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:34 pm

Darko Miliminutes wrote:They still have Sacre too, don't they?

And R.Kelly
eagles nut
Analyst
And1: 266

Post#11 » by eagles nut » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:44 pm

Plan is good depth with Hill's big ending contract as a possible trade chip.

PF: Randle/Boozer/Kelly
C: Hill/Davis/Sacre

Kelly and Randle could play SF on offense but the D of course would be an issue.
Rosque
Analyst
And1: 2,010

Post#12 » by Rosque » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:50 pm

We have solid role players...and a star player who could brick us into playoffs...or completely destroy the team with his attitude. Everything's a possibility at this point, IMO.

We probably have 35 rebounds between Randle/Hill/Booz/Davis/Kobe. We also have good offense with Lin, Kobe leading the starting 5 and Swaggy, Booz leading the second unit. No D, tho.
"All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common: They're a bunch of guys who ain't never played the game, they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game."
Nycballa2k
Bench Warmer
And1: 356

Post#13 » by Nycballa2k » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:57 pm

still a lottery team
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#14 » by PZiv » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:03 pm

Somebody mentioned scoring title, I totally see this
PG: Kobe
SG: Ed Davis
SF: Julius Randle
PF: Carlos Boozer
C: Jordan Hill
"Kobe Bryant: Assist? hahaha Grab a rebound"
scoring championship run can now start, Kobe 35ppg on 35% shooting.
JellosJigglin
RealGM

Post#15 » by JellosJigglin » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:21 pm

Rosque wrote:We have solid role players...and a star player who could brick us into playoffs...or completely destroy the team with his attitude. Everything's a possibility at this point, IMO.

We probably have 35 rebounds between Randle/Hill/Booz/Davis/Kobe. We also have good offense with Lin, Kobe leading the starting 5 and Swaggy, Booz leading the second unit. No D, tho.

I think I'd start Boozer over Randle, atleast for the first half of the season. There are a lot of lineups I'd play around with. Here's one when they go small:

PG: Lin/Nash/Clarkson
SG: Swaggy/Xavier/MarSwag
SF: Kobe/Mathews
PF: Boozer/Randle/Kelly
C: Hill/Sacre/Davis

No length whatsoever. No defense whatsoever. But that's a pick-n-pop offense if I've ever seen one. I have Kobe at SF because he's the best post-up player they have right now. He's going to be slower now, so at the 3 he'll be able to use his back to the basket game.

Boozer and Lin, or Hill and Lin can run pick-n-pop. Or Boozer and Hill can set strong-side double screens for Lin so he can penetrate and kick out to Kobe or Swaggy on the weak side.

Swaggy will do what he does and create a shot when it's a broken play.

They're going to have to think outside the box with this roster. Running traditional lineups isn't going to work. They're undersized so they have to find mismatches.
Rosque
Analyst
And1: 2,010

Post#16 » by Rosque » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:25 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:
Rosque wrote:We have solid role players...and a star player who could brick us into playoffs...or completely destroy the team with his attitude. Everything's a possibility at this point, IMO.

I think I'd start Boozer over Randle, atleast for the first half of the season. There are a lot of lineups I'd play around with. Here's one when they go small:

No length whatsoever. No defense whatsoever. But that's a pick-n-pop offense if I've ever seen one. I have Kobe at SF because he's the best post-up player they have right now. He's going to be slower now, so at the 3 he'll be able to use his back to the basket game.

Boozer and Lin, or Hill and Lin can run pick-n-pop. Or Boozer and Hill can set strong-side double screens for Lin so he can penetrate and kick out to Kobe or Swaggy on the weak side.

They're going to have to think outside the box with this roster. Running traditional lineups isn't going to work. They're undersized so they have to find mismatches.

I think Swaggy with second unit is a must for Lakers. Also Davis>Sacre.

Coach should definitely experiment with weird lineups.
"All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common: They're a bunch of guys who ain't never played the game, they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game."
JellosJigglin
RealGM

Post#17 » by JellosJigglin » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:30 pm

Rosque wrote:
JellosJigglin wrote:

I think Swaggy with second unit is a must for Lakers. Also Davis>Sacre.

Coach should definitely experiment with weird lineups.

I want to see Davis and Sacre battle it out for that backup spot. I just put Sacre there because he was with the team last year and might already have a head start as far as chemistry with the 2nd unit.
Left Side Drive
Head Coach
And1: 4,143

Post#18 » by Left Side Drive » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:15 pm

They can't tank as long as Kobe is on the team so they might as well go for big name FA and compete every season. Ya heard it here first.
Looking for a new signature. Currently, still evaluating.
beerbrewer
Junior
And1: 65

Post#19 » by beerbrewer » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:20 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:

And Marswag would be? Not on the Lakers maybe? Laker fans are the most delusional group of people alive.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Never argue with stupid people! They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!! - Twain
geminiz
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,431

Post#20 » by geminiz » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:45 pm

PZiv wrote:Somebody mentioned scoring title, I totally see this
PG: Kobe
SG: Ed Davis
SF: Julius Randle
PF: Carlos Boozer
C: Jordan Hill
"Kobe Bryant: Assist? hahaha Grab a rebound"
scoring championship run can now start, Kobe 35ppg on 35% shooting.

Ed Davis as SG?!!??

Return to The General Board