NBA.com July 2014 Power Rankings

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

HotrodBeaubois
Veteran
And1: 196

Re: NBA.com July 2014 Power Rankings 

Post#41 » by HotrodBeaubois » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:27 am

I see Dallas the 4th seed 56-60 Wins and doing some serious damage in the playoffs ....Of course if any of Ellis / Parsons / Dirk / Chandler miss 20 games then that record will be in serious jeopardy.

Overall I think Dallas has a chance to rest older Key players keeping them fresh for the playoffs and hopefully healthy the whole year
irie
RealGM
And1: 4,502

Post#42 » by irie » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:40 am

Ridiculous. Orlando is not out tanking Boston again this year.
♣|☸
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#43 » by hands11 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:46 am

StaticRoar wrote:Mavs #4? Wow.

Right where I have been projecting them. Replacing HOU as forth best in the West.

Someone needs to start paying me for this stuff.

There Wizards review is not complete at all. All the talk about is Paul P. They missed out on Humphries, Blair, Otto and Glen Rice.

I have WIzards higher then that. More like 8th or 9th. They should be ranked higher the TOR

HOU should be ranked even lower then they are.
hands11
Banned User

Post#44 » by hands11 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:57 am

samuraix wrote:Soo..

WESTERN CONFERENCE
1. Spurs
2. Thunder
3. Clippers
4. Mavericks
5. Warriors
6. Trailblazers
7. Rockets
8. Grizzlies
9. Suns
10. Wolves
11. Pelicans
12. Nuggets
13. Kings
14. Lakers
15. Jazz

EASTERN CONFERENCE
1. Bulls
2. Cavaliers
3. Raptors
4. Wizards
5. Pacers
6. Heat
7. Hornets
8. Nets
9. Hawks
10. Knicks
11. Pistons
12. Celtics
13. Magic
14. Bucks
15. Sixers

That pretty close to how I saw it. But DET could be a surprise playoff team and I have the Wizard top 2 or 3 in the East. Celtics are another wild card. I harder ranking the middle of the East. The Heat could easily miss the playoffs all together.
hands11
Banned User

Post#45 » by hands11 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:06 am

GOLDFINCH wrote:
deneem4 wrote:Toronto isn't better than washington when washington aquired the key reason they didn't advance I'm the playoffs not to mention the deepest frontcourt in the league

I would argue this statement as Toronto did the same thing in the offseason getting James Johnson to guard bigger wings as it was Joe Johnson who eliminated them last year. Throw in Lou Williams and they are much deeper than Washington. Not to mention they destroyed Washington in head to head matchups last year.

Don't count on that happening again.

TOR does have nice depth.

But Wiz also have nice depth now. And are vastly improved from SF to C with that depth.

Wizards vs Tor vs CHI will be the best games in the East
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#46 » by Asif16 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:54 am

hands11 wrote:
GOLDFINCH wrote:
deneem4 wrote:Toronto isn't better than washington when washington aquired the key reason they didn't advance I'm the playoffs not to mention the deepest frontcourt in the league

I would argue this statement as Toronto did the same thing in the offseason getting James Johnson to guard bigger wings as it was Joe Johnson who eliminated them last year. Throw in Lou Williams and they are much deeper than Washington. Not to mention they destroyed Washington in head to head matchups last year.

But Wiz also have nice depth now. And are vastly improved from SF to C with that depth.

I would say that Washington has a better starting lineup than the raptors (not by a lot)

But the raptors have more depth and a better bench compared to the wizards. (Not by a lot)

So its pretty even. Chicago/Cleveland/Wash/Toronto games Gonna be a treat to watch for sure.
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#47 » by bran muffin » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:18 am

Effigy wrote:
Downtown wrote:Did that article really say the Blazers got smoked by the Rockets in the playoffs?

It actually says we got smoked by the Rockets AND the Spurs in the playoffs last year. Lol.

The author wrote that the Portland Defense got smoked by Houston and San Antonio. And he is right. The Blazers defense allowed over 110.5 ppg on 46.4% FG in the post season. I'm pretty sure that qualifies as "getting smoked".

Adding Steve Blake and Chris Kaman doesn't exactly address these issues.
Sonny Carson
Head Coach
And1: 3,726

Post#48 » by Sonny Carson » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:28 am

ForeverTFC wrote:
samuraix wrote:Soo..

WESTERN CONFERENCE
1. Spurs
2. Thunder
3. Clippers
4. Mavericks
5. Warriors
6. Trailblazers
7. Rockets
8. Grizzlies
9. Suns
10. Wolves
11. Pelicans
12. Nuggets
13. Kings
14. Lakers
15. Jazz

EASTERN CONFERENCE
1. Bulls
2. Cavaliers
3. Raptors
4. Wizards
5. Pacers
6. Heat
7. Hornets
8. Nets
9. Hawks
10. Knicks
11. Pistons
12. Celtics
13. Magic
14. Bucks
15. Sixers

It's amazing how little pundits value Atlanta.

To me, they are in the same echelon as the Raptors and the Wiz. They are better than both Miami and the Nets.

hands11
Banned User

Post#49 » by hands11 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:31 am

Asif16 wrote:
hands11 wrote:
GOLDFINCH wrote:

I would say that Washington has a better starting lineup than the raptors (not by a lot)

But the raptors have more depth and a better bench compared to the wizards. (Not by a lot)

So its pretty even. Chicago/Cleveland/Wash/Toronto games Gonna be a treat to watch for sure.

Well, unless CLE gets LOV, I don't think they will measure up even with LeBron. Not this year at least.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 42,929

Post#50 » by JDR720 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:43 am

yosemiteben wrote:
dautjazz wrote:
yosemiteben wrote:Image

Oh get over yourself, it's damn confusing.

Charlotte Hornets, then New Orleans Hornets, then OKC Hornets, then New Orleans Hornets again, then the New Orleans Pelicans, and a franchise that has barely been around for 10 years in a city that used to be an NBA city for the Hornets taking the name of another franchise (the name Hornets was not even 12 months removed!), it's a hot mess. Funny thing is, even New Orleans used to be home to another NBA franchise in the 1970s (the Jazz ofcourse).

Yeah I don't know how the NBA can be judged for not accurately reflecting the name of one of its franchises. Who has the time to remember such trivial details?

Yea it is strange, I didn't even know the "Bobcats" existed
Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach
And1: 2,296

Post#51 » by Nuggets_Talk » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:52 am

HotrodBeaubois wrote:I see Dallas the 4th seed 56-60 Wins and doing some serious damage in the playoffs ....Of course if any of Ellis / Parsons / Dirk / Chandler miss 20 games then that record will be in serious jeopardy.

Overall I think Dallas has a chance to rest older Key players keeping them fresh for the playoffs and hopefully healthy the whole year

Dallas isn't winning 60
Lake Forrest
Junior
And1: 420

Post#52 » by Lake Forrest » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:02 am

Excited for raps wiz battles this year, ATL completely disrespected, apparently they get worse with Horf back that teams good for at least a 5th seed.
sca
Head Coach
And1: 9,172

Post#53 » by sca » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:11 am

The Hawks started off 16-13 with Horford last year. Barring any injury, I'd be surprised if they missed the play-offs this upcoming season. A lineup of Horford/Millsap/Carroll/Korver/Teague should be able to compete with anybody.
RaptorsLife on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:45 pm wrote:
nabbs wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:Nurse can’t be our head coach

Why not? Who is your choice?

Def Messina

RaptorsLife on Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm wrote:Messina sucks
sca
Head Coach

Post#54 » by sca » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:25 am

hands11 wrote:

Right where I have been projecting them. Replacing HOU as forth best in the West.

There Wizards review is not complete at all. All the talk about is Paul P. They missed out on Humphries, Blair, Otto and Glen Rice.

I have WIzards higher then that. More like 8th or 9th. They should be ranked higher the TOR

Why? We have won 4 more games last year, and have improved as well. Not to mention we have played on a 54-win pace since the Gay trade (42-22 after a 6-12 start). Unless the Wizards actually start winning more games, there's no rationale for them being ranked higher than us.
nabbs wrote:

Def Messina

nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#55 » by nuposse04 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:27 pm

sca wrote:
hands11 wrote:

Why? We have won 4 more games last year, and have improved as well. Not to mention we have played on a 54-win pace since the Gay trade (42-22 after a 6-12 start). Unless the Wizards actually start winning more games, there's no rationale for them being ranked higher than us.

I agree TOR is still probably the better team, but the issue with the Wiz last season was the lack of depth and being totally reliant on Wall for the majority of the season. Even though he has an advanced age, A. Miller did wonders for us. I mean HUGE things. We went 18-10 I believe after his acquisition, Sans Nene as well. That is paced at a 52 win team (not a huge sample, but I think decent enough to project).

As a whole, I don't think we are worse then last year...Ariza leaving hurts for sure, but Pierce is fine for a stop gap, and the early returns shown by Porter and GR JR leave me optimistic. Couple with the fact we increased our FC depth in adding two very competent players in Kris and Blair+ w/e improvements we get from Wall and an expected jump from Beal...I do think we'll be a better team.

TOR has kind of brought back the same team, but the good thing is, ya'll are relatively young, which means there should be improvements across the board, it will be interesting to see, by which magnitudes your players improve...and that should be telling of which team shall be better IMO next season.

I still think the Bulls are completely overrated and Rose deserves no benefit of the doubt.
sca
Head Coach

Post#56 » by sca » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:34 pm

nuposse04 wrote:
sca wrote:
hands11 wrote:

I agree TOR is still probably the better team, but the issue with the Wiz last season was the lack of depth and being totally reliant on Wall for the majority of the season. Even though he has an advanced age, A. Miller did wonders for us. I mean HUGE things. We went 18-10 I believe after his acquisition, Sans Nene as well. That is paced at a 52 win team (not a huge sample, but I think decent enough to project).

As a whole, I don't think we are worse then last year...Ariza leaving hurts for sure, but Pierce is fine for a stop gap, and the early returns shown by Porter and GR JR leave me optimistic. Couple with the fact we increased our FC depth in adding two very competent players in Kris and Blair+ w/e improvements we get from Wall and an expected jump from Beal...I do think we'll be a better team.

TOR has kind of brought back the same team, but the good thing is, ya'll are relatively young, which means there should be improvements across the board, it will be interesting to see, by which magnitudes your players improve...and that should be telling of which team shall be better IMO next season.

I still think the Bulls are completely overrated and Rose deserves no benefit of the doubt.

I actually don't have a problem with anybody ranking the Wizards over the Raptors, they're both (mostly) young and intriguing teams. Both have great backcourt tandems as well, and I've been a huge Pierce fan for a long time. I just don't like people not giving reasons and writing us off that easily (the poster that I quoted apparently wants to get paid for his rankings, so I'm assuming that he takes his opinions seriously, lol).
nabbs wrote:

Def Messina

NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,467

Post#57 » by NZB2323 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:10 pm

I don't think that Dallas at 4 is that ridiculous. They pushed the Spurs to 7 games, and they added Tyson Chandler Parsons.

The Ellis-Dirk pick and roll is very hard to defend, and historicially the Dallas Mavericks have been contenders in the Dirk era.
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 18,936

Post#58 » by Ben-N1ce » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:22 pm

76ers ranked last when they drafted Embiid and Saric..how disrespectful.
NaturalBuns
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,463

Post#59 » by NaturalBuns » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:28 pm

Every team fan base will ferl like they are being slept on or miss seeded.
Look at what PHX and Portland did last year though.
Outside OKC,SA and maybe Clips.

If any team has one key injury it will ruin the season just look at Memphis last year.
No way they are a 8th seed if healthy.
oldscho0led wrote:Baseball is all about momentum. Pirates will carry their winning ways and beat Giants in the Wildcard.

A's over Royals. Lester and experience will prove that he's worth the trade.

Tigers winning it all. Tigers are, imo, peaking at the right time.
RaptorNews
RealGM
And1: 23,156

Post#60 » by RaptorNews » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:32 pm

Memphis is so underrated. They were playing like a 60 win team when healthy

Return to The General Board