Jamal Crawford calls Kobe Bryant 'this generation's MJ'

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Re: Jamal Crawford calls Kobe Bryant 'this generation's MJ' 

Post#81 » by reanimator » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:43 am

crazy_me_87 wrote:
reanimator wrote:
crazy_me_87 wrote:
huh?

ok please would someone explain to me why guys like Kobe and Durant are many times seen as high volume scorers while lebron is not

Career PPG:

Kobe 25.2

Durant: 27.3

Lebron: 27.5

so how is the guy with the most points per game the worst scorer of them?

just because Lebron has probably the best balance between passing and scoring ever doesnt mean he cant score

and Lebron is also the most efficent of the 3.. beating Durant slightly and Kobe by a margin in regards of efficeny

now anyone would explain that scorer thing to me?

Lebron does the bulk of his scoring in the paint and everywhere else is on low volume or he risks below average to average league efficiency. Being able to score anywhere on the floor at high volume at or above league efficiency obviously has utility and doesn't apply to Lebron.

ok i get that

but i dont get why that is a advantage for Kobe

Because they can't defend you like the 2013 Spurs
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#82 » by reanimator » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:44 am

Arman_tanzarian wrote:
reanimator wrote:
Beffiosa wrote:
LBJ is more productive in a team setting but Kobe's game is more conductive to winning in a team setting. Also individually, we all know Kobe would destroy Lebron 1 on 1.

I think Kobe will find it impossible to keep Lebron out of the lane 1 on 1. Lebron is just to big, strong and fast for Kobe to defend. Kobe can't post up Lebron and I think Lebron can challenge most of Kobe's shots

Not from what we have seen when they have matched up

If all you've ever seen is that 2 possesions in one all star game sure. Lebron has eaten Kobe for breakfast in their h2hs even befor his prime. Bbr is your friend, use it.

Link to stats on iso possessions?
bigsby1
Sophomore
And1: 36

Jamal Crawford calls Kobe Bryant 'this generation's MJ' 

Post#83 » by bigsby1 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:44 am

Kind of hard to say he's " this generations MJ "when wasn't even the best player on 3 of his championship teams. When was MJ ever 2nd best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,385

Post#84 » by Jimmy Recard » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:44 am

minifang wrote:Kobe is the closest thing we've ever seen to MJ, but Lebron is a better overall player than Kobe. That's the way I see it.

/thread
Arman_tanzarian
Veteran
And1: 2,712

Post#85 » by Arman_tanzarian » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:45 am

hands11 wrote:
RonySeikalyFTW wrote:Number of seasons Michael Jordan shot .470% or better: 10

Number of seasons Kobe Bryant shot .470% or better: 0

Pointless comparison. Kobe shots a lot more 3 balls.

Look at eFG and TS

The tiny URL for your query is:

http://bkref.com/tiny/UZxXR

MJ was clearly better. But Kobe was awesome.

But Kobe has 17 season by 34. MJ only 13. That time out allowed MJ to rest up and reload. Maybe he could have played though. Maybe not. He at least allowed him to get hungry again. We will never know for sure.

Please don't show that, it doesn't do Kobe any justice. MJ has a advantage by a landslide literally everywhere.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#86 » by hands11 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:48 am

MnM24 wrote:
Iplaytolose wrote:Kobe was the next MJ in the '00s. His game was similar an older MJ with youthful athleticism though. Yeah, the percentages aren't similar, but Kobe clearly copied Jordan's game. Jamal isn't off base here.

a great video by maxamillion shows this:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73qvkAkbx_c[/youtube]

I'll be back. I need to go get something to clean up.. LOL

Man. Amazing. I got to watch both from start to finish. Good stuff. And Magic. And Bird.

Pure awesome. Man I love this game.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Post#87 » by mademan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:50 am

Kobe's a great player. 2nd best SG of all-time. Comparing him to MJ/Lebron (2 best wings off all-time) just makes him look worse than he is.
lamscott
Analyst
And1: 3,036

Post#88 » by lamscott » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:51 am

These Kobe threads suck.

The guy was top at least top 10. To watch stat geeks take arbitrary numbers or bad arguer's pulling crap from their butt is terrible. He was close to MJ. I was fortunate to watch MJ, Kobe, and Lebron. They are all great players, until Lebron gets 5 or more rings, don't bring him into the conversation.

MJ was the best player ever. Ever. I don't know where Lebron falls but MJ was #1.
crazy_me_87
Analyst
And1: 1,877

Post#89 » by crazy_me_87 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:51 am

reanimator wrote:
Massamba wrote:The difference between Duncan or LeBron and Kobe? Kobe is his generation's MJ. Duncan or LeBron are the Duncan or LeBron of their generation. Kobe will always be the poor version of Jordan. LeBron or Duncan are just LeBron or Duncan. I thought after 20 years in the league Kobe would be known as Kobe, but he is still the "next Jordan". It's almost like he didn't put his name on the game.

:lol:

actually he has a point

Lebron is just unique and writes his own history.. sure some comparisons will remain.. but honestly i believe he will have a seperate throne next to MJ when he has retired.. he will be the GOAT of the younger Generation who where too young to watch MJ... MJ will still be there and probably for a long time.. but Lebron will be up there.

and Duncan.. well he is like a modern KAJ..

and Kobe... look.. there must be a reason why on most All Time Top 10 lists Kobe is either 10th or not even on the list.. while Duncan and Lebron hover around 3-7 almost on everyones list.
he is great no doubt.. but compared to other greats he seems to fall off a bit
cant really put my finger on it

Return to The General Board