Denver Nuggets, most slept on team heading into the season?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Re: Denver Nuggets, most slept on team heading into the seas 

Post#61 » by DanTown8587 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:40 pm

No one is sleeping on the Nuggets, more or less sleeping on how deep the West is. I tend to think that 10 teams in the West are fighting for six spots (OKC/SA at the top are locks, Sac, Utah, and Minnesota without Love are at the bottom and aren't getting in) and that some teams (like the Clippers) have a better chance (like say New Orleans) of being one of those six.

I mean, four of these teams won't make it (not in order)

LA Clippers
Houston
Golden State
New Orleans
LA Lakers
Memphis
Dallas
Portland
Phoenix
Denver
StunnaStan
Pro Prospect
And1: 259

Post#62 » by StunnaStan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:42 pm

giberish say "They're closer to the 47-win team that they were before upgrading from Afflalo to Iggy."

My question to you is which team are you talking about because its not the DENVER NUGGETS. The last time denver won under 50 games was the 06-07 season. denver finished with a 38-28 record the year of the NBA lockout and were on pace for 50+ wins.

I have no problem with peoples opnion as long as its an educated opinion. dont just throw stuff out there that cant be backed up or you cant explain yourself thoroghly
Boarder Patrol
Head Coach
And1: 3,743

Post#63 » by Boarder Patrol » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:50 pm

They've got the great HCA and a good roster, but I'm not so sure.

Shaw, who I thought would be great, didn't seem like the best coach. Miller and he feuded, tons of ineffective post ups, the like. Karl didn't have the playoff resume but could win you a ton of games with his system. Can Shaw?

They don't seem too deep to me. Chandler is good, Moz is good. Hickspn is a liability and Nate is coming off a major injury. Gallo is a huge concern and if he's out again then their depth really takes a hit.

Not many great defenders either...

They've got some exciting players and I'll enjoy watching them play but I see a .500 or so team. I don't know too much about them though and would love to be educated/proven wrong. Just thought I'd throw my two cents in since it's the off season.
StunnaStan
Pro Prospect

Post#64 » by StunnaStan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:54 pm

I for one, am not missing andre iguodalas 13ppg, .574FT%, 31% from arc, and 2.7 turnovers. If i was a warriors fan, id be pissed that bum is taking harrison barnes playing time and money. I'd rather have tyshaun prince than iggy
StunnaStan
Pro Prospect

Post#65 » by StunnaStan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:00 pm

my Final post in this thread

:Denver wins over 50 games (easily)
:Denver gets top 4 seed (3rd in west)
:We gtf outta the 1st round (last time we got out of 1st rd we were in the western conference finals)

:THE MILWALKEE BUCKS WILL MAKE THE PLAYOFFS
Im out
RRFB
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,249

Post#66 » by RRFB » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:18 pm

Kevin Johnson wrote:Part of the problem is Nuggets have no top tier player. Arguably, no Nugget is as good as any of the star player(s) from these teams. Maybe they can become a collective like the Spurs but the Spurs are a machine.

Spurs - Duncan/Parker/Leonard
OKC - Durant/Westbrook
LAC - Paul/Griffin
Memphis - ZBo and Gasol
Dallas - Dirk,
Houston - Dwight/ Harden
Portland - Aldridge/Lillard
Warriors - Curry
-----------
NO - Davis
Minny - Love
Kings - Cousins

This argument fails miserably. Guys like Dirk, Love, Curry, Alridge, etc have been in the league for years, yet the Nuggets have routinely finished ahead of them since trading away Melo. Now more than ever, teams are learning that you can't win on star power alone. You absolutely have to have quality depth and supporting talent to win in this league. Go ahead and knock Denver for not having that elite superstar, but no team in the league has more 'tier 2' talent than the Nuggets. If just one more guy can take that next step (like Ty did last year), they're right there with every other team in the West.

Also, anyone claiming Iguodala was the best player on that 57 win team immediately loses any credibility, because he wasn't even close. Lawson, Gallinari, even Faried and sometimes Chandler had a larger impacts on that season than Iguodala did.
jamesnamida
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Post#67 » by jamesnamida » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:49 pm

If someone in the top 8 is going to get knocked out of seeding, it would be by the nuggets IMO.
I don't think the pelicans will be good enough yet, and Phoenix will stay close to the same or take a step back since I felt that they over achieved last year.
beeflow
Junior
And1: 296

Post#68 » by beeflow » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:56 pm

Lmao what? 1-3 in the West? Your roster right now probably wouldn't even make Top 5 in the East. Get out of here with that nonsense.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#69 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:02 pm

StunnaStan wrote:I for one, am not missing andre iguodalas 13ppg, .574FT%, 31% from arc, and 2.7 turnovers. If i was a warriors fan, id be pissed that bum is taking harrison barnes playing time and money. I'd rather have tyshaun prince than iggy

He hasn't been great but saying tay is better is pretty ignorant statement..unless you are factoring salary then maybe I guess
jmnvcavs
Rookie
And1: 947

Post#70 » by jmnvcavs » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:16 pm

Better roster than Houston in my opinion.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#71 » by SF_Warriors » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:42 pm

RRFB wrote:
Kevin Johnson wrote:Part of the problem is Nuggets have no top tier player. Arguably, no Nugget is as good as any of the star player(s) from these teams. Maybe they can become a collective like the Spurs but the Spurs are a machine.

Spurs - Duncan/Parker/Leonard
OKC - Durant/Westbrook
LAC - Paul/Griffin
Memphis - ZBo and Gasol
Dallas - Dirk,
Houston - Dwight/ Harden
Portland - Aldridge/Lillard
Warriors - Curry
-----------
NO - Davis
Minny - Love
Kings - Cousins

This argument fails miserably. Guys like Dirk, Love, Curry, Alridge, etc have been in the league for years, yet the Nuggets have routinely finished ahead of them since trading away Melo. Now more than ever, teams are learning that you can't win on star power alone. You absolutely have to have quality depth and supporting talent to win in this league. Go ahead and knock Denver for not having that elite superstar, but no team in the league has more 'tier 2' talent than the Nuggets. If just one more guy can take that next step (like Ty did last year), they're right there with every other team in the West.

Also, anyone claiming Iguodala was the best player on that 57 win team immediately loses any credibility, because he wasn't even close. Lawson, Gallinari, even Faried and sometimes Chandler had a larger impacts on that season than Iguodala did.

Depth is great for the regular season and also is a nice luxury to have and what makes denver a solid squad,

but star power absolutely matters in the playoffs, where denver has been knocked out in the first round the past couple of trips. Defenses become much tougher and the game slows down. Depth does not matter as much and rotations get shorter, which is why having top heavy talent helps more so than great depth.

but I think in this era of CBA that depth is beginning to matter much more...However top notch talent is still needed to get far in the playoffs.

TD and parker and even ginoblli are great talents but also surrounded by greath depth
Jonatton Yeah
Veteran
And1: 4,062

Post#72 » by Jonatton Yeah » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:19 pm

StunnaStan wrote:I for one, am not missing andre iguodalas 13ppg, .574FT%, 31% from arc, and 2.7 turnovers. If i was a warriors fan, id be pissed that bum is taking harrison barnes playing time and money. I'd rather have tyshaun prince than iggy

But that's not where Iggy is valuable. Your argument is tantamount to saying James Harden should be out of the league because of his defensive stats alone. Now Iggy didn't have a great year and his contract isn't very good but Barnes has proved very little at this point and the Warriors excelled on D last year with Iggy playing big minutes. He has value. Prince has none.
That's hilarious and co

Return to The General Board