5 Proposals for Lottery Change

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

ckchen
Veteran
And1: 574

Re: 5 Proposals for Lottery Change 

Post#121 » by ckchen » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:19 pm

Ignitowsky wrote:
MitchellUK wrote:Step 1 to stopping tanking - don't hire Sam Hinkie.

(In all fairness, as much as I dislike how obvious the Sixers have been about ensuring a poor record in the short term in order to build with youth via the draft, I can't blame them for being unhappy about the recently proposed changes. The set their rebuilding plan according to how the NBAs draft was structured, and now, part way through said rebuild, their goalposts are potentially going to be moved.)

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

In gaming what the Sixers are trying to do would be an exploit and it would be fixed with a patch. In this case the developers don't have to write code to remove the exploit, just change the rule that allows it.

All of this talk about lottery reform is nonsense. It's not broken. If they really want to fix the "broken system" or prevent an "exploit" of the rules - they should just enforce a greater penalty for not meeting the salary cap floor. Right now there essentially is no penalty for meeting the floor. If they made penalty harsher, it would be a whole lot more difficult to just outright trade all of your higher salary (and presumably better) players for picks. If they forced the Sixers to spend that money on players, they would be forced to at least throw out some offers for decent free agents or trades to meet the floor and no one (well less people) could complain that they were putting out a losing roster by throwing out a bunch of d-leaguers. The Sixers would either be forced to retain their higher priced players or sign or trade for others. Could the Sixers try to just sign (or trade) for a bunch of expiring contracts or 1 yr deals? Sure, but it would make what they are doing much more difficult, and they would lose the flexibility of the cap space they have. I really think it's that simple. All of these ridiculous draft change proposals have to stop.
Yoshun
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,718

Post#122 » by Yoshun » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:32 pm

NFL style.
coolness
Analyst
And1: 303

Post#123 » by coolness » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:46 pm

Snotbubbles wrote:
coolness wrote:HighFive,

your ideas are hilarious and then you revived with the hats-on-a-stage thing. LOL!

The one true solution happens to be in my signature.
The worst 4 each have a 25% at the worst pick which was criticized in somebody else's post, but they also have a 75% chance of picking outside of the top-5. Who would go on a season-long kamikaze to end up with Marcus Smart? Keep in mind that most 6th picks are not as good as Marcus Smart or Julius Randle.

Also, I kept the playoff teams involved which is one extra little deterrent to losing on purpose. It would be exciting to find out the top-5. Every fan would tune in for their team, and drama sells, because it's fun. Adam Silver should pay me for this idea. :D

I would love it as long as it's not rigged. In other words the same as I feel right now. And the results would be loved and hated just like they already are, but without a half-decent team having a chance at a top-2 pick. The 3rd pick probably goes to a bucket of suck as well. Drafts are often "1 or 2 player drafts," so it is good to exclude a team like last year's Suns, who would've made the playoffs in the East.

How is that proposal better than the current system. You give greater odds to teams 2, 3 and 4. That gives more teams incentive to be bad.

It doesn't. The worst 4 teams each have a 75% of picking 6th/7th/8th in my idea which is not attractive. My 4th/5th picks have playoff teams. Teams have more incentive to win.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,516

Post#124 » by 76ciology » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:56 pm

Did Sixers ever had the no.1 overall pick during Hinkie's tenure?

Didn't the whole purpose of lottery was shown this year when the Sixers wasn't able to get the no.1 pick while the Cavs end up with the no.1 overall pick out of nowhere?

How about making a rule that you can't draft two injured players for two consecutive years using your 1st rounder instead?

How about making a minimum average requirements of games played in your roster?

How about making sure a player entering the draft to have no limits in his workout and let him attend the measurement events so that the team would't likely no draft a bust?

Personally, I want a draft lottery change so that Sixers can have a chance to get a no.1 overall pick by the time Embiid, Noel, MCW and our 2015 lotto guy can play.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.

Return to The General Board