Early Predictions - Executive of the Year ?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

stuporman
RealGM
And1: 16,058

Re: Early Predictions - Executive of the Year ? 

Post#61 » by stuporman » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:03 am

ufsports wrote:Don't forget that EoY never goes to the right person. Morey did a lot more than Buford did last season

Morey's team fizzles in the first round and Buford's team wins the title throttling the Heat.... I think the voters got it right, Morey deserves the OEoY..... overrated executive of the year.
If you'd rather see your team fail so you can be right
...you are a fan of your opinion not the team.
Image?
Knowledge is just information stuffed into a mental bag
Wisdom is knowing what to pull out of the bag to do the job
breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Post#62 » by breatnach » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:59 am

If Wiggins doesn't bust, I'll say Flip.
He had a steady hand and didn't panic even when rumours were leaked that Wiggins wasn't on the table. Getting such a good return is entirely Flip's achievement. I know it is a long shot, but if Wiggins / LaVine exceed expectations and Wolves get anywhere near the level they were last year, this award should be automatic.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,527

Post#63 » by 76ciology » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:15 am

I'd go with the Suns.

They have found players who are underrated(Plumlee, green and etc.), and in return, helped them overachieved as a team. And they also have young promising guys like Len, Warren, Ennis and Goodwin.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#64 » by The Laker Kid » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:41 am

Dan Gilbert will get the Exec of the year award. No idea who Griffin is. Blake Griffin?
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
PZiv
Veteran
And1: 828

Post#65 » by PZiv » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:41 am

if Wiggins and LaVine all rookie team and one of them is ROY candidate. Flip Saunders by a nautical mile. If not 2nd place Toronto Raptors if 2nd rnd/ECF if not 3rd place Dallas Mavericks, my POV.
Sign5
Head Coach
And1: 9,679

Post#66 » by Sign5 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:41 pm

joma wrote:I mean, Pat Riley won in 2011 despite having nothing to do with the big 3. Lebron was going to play with Dwyane wade wherever he was. He has said so himself. Pay Riley was merely a bystander and lucked into it. People are trying to trash the cavs by saying Lebron is the GM, when Lebron was basically the GM for the heat too. He got Battier, Miller, Ray allen to all sign with the heat.

Narratives are a hilarious thing.

When did he say this, video thnx.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#67 » by hands11 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:52 pm

breatnach wrote:If Wiggins doesn't bust, I'll say Flip.
He had a steady hand and didn't panic even when rumours were leaked that Wiggins wasn't on the table. Getting such a good return is entirely Flip's achievement. I know it is a long shot, but if Wiggins / LaVine exceed expectations and Wolves get anywhere near the level they were last year, this award should be automatic.

You are reading too many headlines.

Wiggins was on the table the entire time. Read LeBrons letter. This deal also was never going to go through quickly. Holding Wiggins back is simply allowing the process to play out and establishing his value so they didn't have to give up even more.

If I was MIN/Flip, a great deal would have been getting ride of someone like Martin and or Muhammad and picking up something extra like Dellavedova. Getting Wiggins and Bennett I don't see as any master negotiating. LeBron wanted Love and that was going to take giving up Wiggins at the bare min.

MIN now has Wiggins and Rubio and some pieces. They have a ways to go still.
ballfan5
Junior
And1: 61

Post#68 » by ballfan5 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:45 pm

Lebron James and Rich Paul for GM's of the year.
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#69 » by MitchellUK » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:34 pm

hands11 wrote:
MitchellUK wrote:Griffin drafted Wiggins (no one can argue with that as a pick) and brought Lebron back to Cleveland. Those are two moves that pretty much no-one can argue with right now.

It looks like he's going to turn Wiggins, Bennett and picks into Kevin Love. Bennett was, whether people want to claim otherwise or not, a source of embarrassment as a no.1 overall pick for the Cavs - that Griffin managed to utilize him as a positive trade chip rather than a "please take him off our hands" piece is an achievement in itself. The picks are likely to be inconsequential, at least when talking in terms of acquiring a star player. The only question mark that might arise from this trade is if Wiggins blossoms into one of the league's best players, but that won't be answered for several years. In the meantime the Cavs are likely to be perennial contenders, and even then you will be talking about having traded a guy who became one of the league's best players for a guy who is currently one of the league's best.

He also hired Blatt. The only move with a legit question mark given he's an NBA rookie as a head coach.

Bottom line, if Blatt works out as a coach and the Wiggins/Love deal goes down and the Cavs contend this coming season, Griffin is winning EoY.

Did you read anything posted here already before posting :nonono:

Yes, why?

Oh, I'm sorry! If you wrote an opinion but stated it as fact then I am obliged to agree with you, is that it?

Griffin is the executive in charge of the Cavs roster, and it will be his signature that signs off on any moves they make (or may have already made) this offseason. So what if Lebron is the thing that makes Cleveland attractive for Kevin Love - the GM still negotiates the trades, makes the picks, etc.
hands11
Banned User

Post#70 » by hands11 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:57 am

MitchellUK wrote:
hands11 wrote:
MitchellUK wrote:Griffin drafted Wiggins (no one can argue with that as a pick) and brought Lebron back to Cleveland. Those are two moves that pretty much no-one can argue with right now.

It looks like he's going to turn Wiggins, Bennett and picks into Kevin Love. Bennett was, whether people want to claim otherwise or not, a source of embarrassment as a no.1 overall pick for the Cavs - that Griffin managed to utilize him as a positive trade chip rather than a "please take him off our hands" piece is an achievement in itself. The picks are likely to be inconsequential, at least when talking in terms of acquiring a star player. The only question mark that might arise from this trade is if Wiggins blossoms into one of the league's best players, but that won't be answered for several years. In the meantime the Cavs are likely to be perennial contenders, and even then you will be talking about having traded a guy who became one of the league's best players for a guy who is currently one of the league's best.

He also hired Blatt. The only move with a legit question mark given he's an NBA rookie as a head coach.

Bottom line, if Blatt works out as a coach and the Wiggins/Love deal goes down and the Cavs contend this coming season, Griffin is winning EoY.

Did you read anything posted here already before posting :nonono:

Yes, why?

Oh, I'm sorry! If you wrote an opinion but stated it as fact then I am obliged to agree with you, is that it?

Griffin is the executive in charge of the Cavs roster, and it will be his signature that signs off on any moves they make (or may have already made) this offseason. So what if Lebron is the thing that makes Cleveland attractive for Kevin Love - the GM still negotiates the trades, makes the picks, etc.

So he negotiated LeBron returning ?
spaceballer
Head Coach
And1: 2,707

Post#71 » by spaceballer » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:13 am

I don't think the Cavs GM should get it. Lebron just fell into his lap, and it wasn't the GM's doing primarily.

I think Exec of the Year is going to take some time to shake out and how the teams they put together perform.

I like the contract that the Raps got Lowry on, especially when compared to all the other overpays this off-season.
hands11
Banned User

Post#72 » by hands11 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:07 am

Flip did a really nice job given the hand he was dealt.
realfung
Assistant Coach
And1: 44

Post#73 » by realfung » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:31 am

wickedwrister wrote:
Sign5 wrote:Anyone else forget or not even know the Cavs GM name before this thread?

Lebron James

Given the signings of Miller and Jones as well as Bennett and Wiggins being left out of his coming home letter I think everyone knows who is really calling the shots there.

At least half of the trophy.
MNister
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#74 » by MNister » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:05 am

hands11 wrote:

Wiggins was on the table the entire time. Read LeBrons letter. This deal also was never going to go through quickly. Holding Wiggins back is simply allowing the process to play out and establishing his value so they didn't have to give up even more.

If I was MIN/Flip, a great deal would have been getting ride of someone like Martin and or Muhammad and picking up something extra like Dellavedova. Getting Wiggins and Bennett I don't see as any master negotiating. LeBron wanted Love and that was going to take giving up Wiggins at the bare min.

Why would Flip give up Shabazz - a lottery pick from a year ago - for Delladova who may be a serviceable backup at best? We have Rubio and Mo Williams..... not to mention Zach Lavine.

I agree with almost everything else you say, but Muhammed can be a good player in this league. If you don't think so, you either haven't watched him enough or simply buy into all the negative hearsay surrounding Shabazz.
il_knicks7
Banned User
And1: 804

Post#75 » by il_knicks7 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:42 am

No love for Phill Jackson?
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#76 » by Rastas » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:44 am

Lebron easily so far , possibly a triple win for him this season.
GM
MVP
DPOY
:wink:
hands11
Banned User

Post#77 » by hands11 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:25 am

joma wrote:I mean, Pat Riley won in 2011 despite having nothing to do with the big 3. Lebron was going to play with Dwyane wade wherever he was. He has said so himself. Pay Riley was merely a bystander and lucked into it. People are trying to trash the cavs by saying Lebron is the GM, when Lebron was basically the GM for the heat too. He got Battier, Miller, Ray allen to all sign with the heat.

Narratives are a hilarious thing.

Not really.

How that all went down was kind of a new concept back then.

Not sure if LeBron got Battier, Miller and Ray or it was the power of him, Wade, and Bosh that made that happen. If you remember back then, Wade pulled a ton of weight in MIA. He had a ring. Lebron didn't. LeBron needed Wade.

This time around its after 4 appearances and 2 rings. Wade injured. Its much more clear who LeBron is and what his hand in this is.
hands11
Banned User

Post#78 » by hands11 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:35 am

MNister wrote:
hands11 wrote:

Why would Flip give up Shabazz - a lottery pick from a year ago - for Delladova who may be a serviceable backup at best? We have Rubio and Mo Williams..... not to mention Zach Lavine.

I agree with almost everything else you say, but Muhammed can be a good player in this league. If you don't think so, you either haven't watched him enough or simply buy into all the negative hearsay surrounding Shabazz.

With MIN rebuilding and Wiggins and Bennett there, I don't hate that Shabazz is their, but I called for him not being a top pick way before the draft and he then dropped like a rock. But with those other youngs around, he could work out ok. But its not like he will ever be anything more then a bench player which is what Dellavedova is. I just happen to like Dellavedova. He is efficient.
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#79 » by barelyawake » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:41 pm

People seem to forget that LeBron was the Cavs' GM before -- demanding each move then decrying the roster as "not enough help." One wonders if once again LeBron's moves flop, whether LeBron or the GM will take the heat.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,731

Post#80 » by DowJones » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:47 pm

This is crazy. Flip was extremely lucky that LeBron made his decision, otherwise Flip is getting the standard package for a disgruntled star with 1 year left on his contract. Flip has been a pretty poor GM so far and giving him unneeded credit this move is a scary thing long-term for the Wolves.

Return to The General Board