Former players becoming NBA coaches

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

jackwindham
Sixth Man
And1: 732

Former players becoming NBA coaches 

Post#1 » by jackwindham » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:58 pm

After looking around the NBA, I don't think it's really possible for us to completely predict which players are going to become coaches some day. Sure, some are easy guesses (Mark Jackson, Derek Fisher, Doc Rivers and maybe Jason Kidd). However, there's a lot of guys out there who I never would have guessed (Steve Kerr, James Posey, Monty Williams, Vitaly Potapenko and Patrick Ewing).
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,321

Re: Former players becoming NBA coaches 

Post#2 » by Infinite Llamas » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:24 am

I stopped trying to guess when Sheed became a coach
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
Thabo Sefolosha
Thunder Forum The Opening Tip
And1: 6,543

Post#3 » by Thabo Sefolosha » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:24 am

um okay
jackwindham
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by jackwindham » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:25 am

I never would have pegged Rasheed Wallace to ever become a head coach. I know that he understands the game, but I never thought he had the patience to teach what he knows.
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#5 » by NashtyNas » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:29 am

jackwindham wrote:I never would have pegged Rasheed Wallace to ever become a head coach. I know that he understands the game, but I never thought he had the patience to teach what he knows.

He was never a head coach, and I don't think he will ever be. Unless I'm missing something...

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
jackwindham
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by jackwindham » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:41 am

I'm not talking about just head coaches. I'm talking about just coaches in general. I'm under the impression that it takes a certain type of personality and mentality to be able to coach.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#7 » by shangrila » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:29 am

Being an assistant isn't as hard or demanding as being a head coach. So someone like Ewing being an assistant shouldn't surprise anyone; he obviously knew a lot about how to be successful at his position.

I'm much more surprised by people like Fisher getting hired as head coaches just because they were former players (admittedly Fisher is a puppet, but still). Playing the game doesn't qualify you to direct an entire team.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Post#8 » by blind prophet » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:23 am

I could see Chris Paul giving it a whirl.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#9 » by Kabookalu » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:31 am

It's also even harder to guess who exactly will be great. Who thought Jeff Hornacek would be this good? Who thought Jason Kidd would be this bad?
Read on Twitter
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Post#10 » by SactoKingsFan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:47 am

I'm not really surprised that Sheed became an assistant coach. He has high BB IQ and players like him. It was clear Kidd and Fisher would eventually become coaches, but I didn't expect them to get high profile head coaching jobs right after retiring. Not sure if Kidd will ever be a decent coach. Fisher should be fine and become a good coach.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,163

Post#11 » by ElectricMayhem » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:25 pm

Did anybody predict Laimbeer to coach women's teams to championships during the Bad Boys era?

....anyone?
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Left Side Drive
Head Coach
And1: 4,143

Post#12 » by Left Side Drive » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:54 pm

That's because we don't know what goes on in the locker room. Some of the role players can be leaders too as in vocal and on the drawing board. They have coaching tendencies but they don't appear to the general audience when they are only watching the broadcasted game.
Looking for a new signature. Currently, still evaluating.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#13 » by Higga » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:38 pm

I never thought Rod Strickland would coach. He was such an immature knucklehead in Washington, but apparently he's now John Calipari's top assistant in Kentucky and has been instrumental in the development of his PGs.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
jackwindham
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by jackwindham » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:55 am

I'm not too shocked about Hornacek. Always knew that he had a good mind for the game. He was basically a shooting guard with the intellect of a point guard.
BieberLUV
Senior
And1: 678

Post#15 » by BieberLUV » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:45 am

great point guards like kidd, mark jackson and magic johnson are horrible coaches

it's like when people expect great pgs to be excellent head coaches, they fail

meanwhile coaches who were scrubs in their playing days like phil jackson, pop, riley turned out excellent as coaches
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#16 » by Winsome Gerbil » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:56 am

Rule has always been that smart limited skill roleplayers become the best coaches. And normally littler guys, maybe because they were up top having to see/run more of the offense, don't know. For the stars, the game came too easy for them, and they get easily frustrated trying to teach lesser talented guys things that they (the former great) just knew.

Obviously just freak athletes, selfish shot chasers etc. don't make for good coaching material. Nor dim guys.

Mike Miller might be a future coach. Udonis Haslem might be. Luke Ridnour. Nick Collison. I would say Andre Miller, but he seems like too big of an ass. Jameer Nelson maybe. Steve Blake. Maybe Mike Bibby. That type of guy.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,163

Post#17 » by ElectricMayhem » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:17 am

Eagerly awaiting Coach Draymond...
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#18 » by The Laker Kid » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:07 am

Would love to see Panda Friend coaching a team like the Spurs
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
Hijinks
Analyst
And1: 1,327

Post#19 » by Hijinks » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:38 am

Choker wrote:It's also even harder to guess who exactly will be great. Who thought Jeff Hornacek would be this good? Who thought Jason Kidd would be this bad?

yeah and we are judging this on their WHOLE coaching career. All these months and days...
too many urkels on your team, that's why your wins low
John Long
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,026

Post#20 » by John Long » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:57 am

shangrila wrote:Being an assistant isn't as hard or demanding as being a head coach. So someone like Ewing being an assistant shouldn't surprise anyone; he obviously knew a lot about how to be successful at his position.

I'm much more surprised by people like Fisher getting hired as head coaches just because they were former players (admittedly Fisher is a puppet, but still). Playing the game doesn't qualify you to direct an entire team.

I'm surprised someone is surprised that Fisher became a head coach, I thought it was a forgone conclusion that he would be a head coach when he retires from playing basketball professionally.
"...things are never as good or as bad as they seem in the moment in time." - Kobe

Return to The General Board