Slovenia vs USA - ESPN2 - 2 PM EASTERN

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Re: Slovenia vs USA - ESPN2 - 2 PM EASTERN 

Post#201 » by NBAfan3024 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:25 pm

NOD wrote:
NBAfan3024 wrote:So are we having a world cup thread or just planning on posting USA game threads only?

It would be a bit disjointed to have to head over to the international board for non-US games during the tournament.

I think it would make more sense to have a master thread here for all non-US WC games, along with an individual thread for each US game, of course.

Yeah I've just created a separate thread for it.
Bro Johnson
Banned User
And1: 330

Post#202 » by Bro Johnson » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:27 pm

Kind of odd Plumlee got so few minutes out there... He basically matched the production of one of the players he's competing for minutes with in 1/3rd of the time, and showed more discipline than the other... Still the team as a whole looked good, and shouldn't have trouble with any of the lower or mid-level teams in the tournament.

Ultimately if this is the role Plumlee is relegated to it will be dissapointing but not entirely unwarranted based on his and his competitor's body of work in the NBA...
NOD
Junior
And1: 584

Post#203 » by NOD » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:41 pm

Bro Johnson wrote:Kind of odd Plumlee got so few minutes out there... He basically matched the production of one of the players he's competing for minutes with in 1/3rd of the time, and showed more discipline than the other...

Part of it probably relates to the fact that Drummond didn't get as much PT as Plumlee in the prior exhibition games, and had played fairly well in the 1 game in which he played. I think that yesterday's PT served as further in-game evaluation leading up to the games that count. Once they had made the final decision to go big and drop Parsons instead of Drummond, the next step was getting him some work and evaluation time with the team in game situations.

I wouldn't read much into it wrt PT distribution in the tournament. HOPEFULLY, there will be more than enough time in the group round to give both of those guys some serious PT.
Bro Johnson
Banned User
And1: 330

Post#204 » by Bro Johnson » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:45 pm

NOD wrote:
Bro Johnson wrote:Kind of odd Plumlee got so few minutes out there... He basically matched the production of one of the players he's competing for minutes with in 1/3rd of the time, and showed more discipline than the other...

Part of it probably relates to the fact that Drummond didn't get as much PT as Plumlee in the prior exhibition games, and had played fairly well in the 1 game in which he played. I think that yesterday's PT served as further in-game evaluation leading up to the games that count. Once they had made the final decision to go big and drop Parsons instead of Drummond, the next step was getting him some work and evaluation time with the team in game situations.

I wouldn't read much into it wrt PT distribution in the tournament. HOPEFULLY, there will be more than enough time in the group round to give both of those guys some serious PT.

That could very well be true, I think the other thing with Drummond is that he is undoubtedly a future cornerstone at the center position.

This could have just been an attempt to get him more experience and help kickstart his development, because if we are going to be serious if players didn't drop out Plumlee would have had no shot at making the team whereas Drummond based on his pure freakishness would have at least been in the conversation...

I edited my previous post, at the end of the day I guess the minute distribution was understandable.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,392

Post#205 » by SunsRback4Good » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:10 pm

When is the game
Sadrak
Junior
And1: 698

Post#206 » by Sadrak » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:28 pm

SunsReadyToRoll wrote:When is the game

Yesterday
il_knicks7
Banned User
And1: 804

Post#207 » by il_knicks7 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:53 pm

LofJ wrote:His personality reminds me a lot of Duncan actually, couple that with his insane talent and you have a scary proposition for the rest of the league. Other than Durant he's the most gifted to player to come into the league since Lebron, no one else is close in my opinion.

He seems to be a little more animated than Duncan, but I get the point. He's a different player than Durant/Lebron. More of an all around guy. He's gotten real good real fast which leaves you wondering about his actual ceiling. This guy will be fun to watch for some time.
il_knicks7
Banned User

Post#208 » by il_knicks7 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:58 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:Don't know, but wouldn't post even if I did. Your jihad is spoiling these threads.

Already been posted. -4. Pathetic.

I understand that you're part of the Derick Rose Defense Force and that he can do no wrong in your eyes, but to me, him being on the team makes no sense and his play on the court does nothing to prove otherwise.

As I (and others) have said - team USA is not the Bulls rehab facility and using team USA for the private agenda of the assistant coach is something that should not be done. I think it's worth discussing. If you find yourself offended, you can't simply put me (and the other discussing it) on ignore.
il_knicks7
Banned User

Post#209 » by il_knicks7 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:01 pm

NOD wrote:4 exhibition games in:

Irving -- 81 mins, 14-22 FG (3-5 3FG), 17 asts, 3 TO's

Rose -- 58 mins (3 games), 4-11 FG, 7 asts, 6 TO's

The sad part is that coach K (or should I say coach Thibodeau) is still unsure on which of Irving/Rose should start. What a pathetic joke.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,943

Post#210 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:02 pm

il_knicks7 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:Don't know, but wouldn't post even if I did. Your jihad is spoiling these threads.

Already been posted. -4. Pathetic.

I understand that you're part of the Derick Rose Defense Force and that he can do no wrong in your eyes, but to me, him being on the team makes no sense and his play on the court does nothing to prove otherwise.

As I (and others) have said - team USA is not the Bulls rehab facility and using team USA for the private agenda of the assistant coach is something that should not be done. I think it's worth discussing. If you find yourself offended, you can't simply put me (and the other discussing it) on ignore.

LOL, I'm a Laker fan. I don't care about Derrick Rose in the slightest. I actually remember waging pitched battles four or five years ago over whether the team was better with Paul or him starting, with me arguing vehemently for the former.

What I do care about is your ridiculously overwrought belly-aching over the team's management that blights the enjoyment of these threads. Discussion is one thing. Your tact is something else entirely. And on that note, I'm going to take you up on your invitation.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,033
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#211 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:11 pm

Thoughts on Davis defensively, on a good team, with good coaching?
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#212 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:15 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Thoughts on Davis defensively, on a good team, with good coaching?

Bill Russell 2.0?
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#213 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:21 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:Thoughts on Davis defensively, on a good team, with good coaching?

Bill Russell 2.0?

Hah. I meant, how do you think he looks with team USA right now, since we've only really gotten to see him play with the ever shuffling Pelicans lineups.

I just saw a lot through the season that people pretended that Davis was a sorry defender because he wasn't as good as prime Hakeem as a teenager.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#214 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:25 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

Bill Russell 2.0?

Hah. I meant, how do you think he looks with team USA right now, since we've only really gotten to see him play with the ever shuffling Pelicans lineups.

I just saw a lot through the season that people pretended that Davis was a sorry defender because he wasn't as good as prime Hakeem as a teenager.

He was incredible yesterday. He almost seemed like a super hero. Wherever he needed to be, he was. His mobility and length and instincts are off the charts. Not just the blocked shots but getting his hands in passing lanes and even stripping guards on pick and rolls. And it's all so effortless.

His performance is a prime reason why I love these tournaments so much -- you get to see great players that you might not otherwise spend a lot of time watching and really digest their skill sets. These games are worth watching for him alone.
NOD
Junior

Post#215 » by NOD » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:27 pm

il_knicks7 wrote:
NOD wrote:4 exhibition games in:

Irving -- 81 mins, 14-22 FG (3-5 3FG), 17 asts, 3 TO's

Rose -- 58 mins (3 games), 4-11 FG, 7 asts, 6 TO's

The sad part is that coach K (or should I say coach Thibodeau) is still unsure on which of Irving/Rose should start. What a pathetic joke.

One of the things K has been best at during his stint w/ USA Basketball has been managing the egos of some of the most prominent (and proud) stars on Earth. Be it illness that helped explain why a player bowed out of camp when it was highly unlikely he'd make the team, or what I think is going on here, which is allowing Rose to drop in the rotation without the huge media response that would go with such 'official' proclamations. I think the 'general soreness' issue before game 2, which allowed Irving to step in as the starter, was perhaps such a move, as are these comments on possibly starting Rose.
NOD
Junior

Post#216 » by NOD » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:31 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
His performance is a prime reason why I love these tournaments so much -- you get to see great players that you might not otherwise spend a lot of time watching and really digest their skill sets. These games are worth watching for him alone.

Couldn't agree more. None of the ASG BS. Just guys trying to actually win games and play for the team, surrounded by other players who afford them the freedom to just play their game.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#217 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:34 pm

It really does suck, because I think ANthony is clearly a DPOY caliber player now, but the Pelicans probably won't be good enough as a team to get him into consideration, and it seems like people don't realize how good a defender someone is until years later. People are never ready to admit when a young player is at that level either.
il_knicks7
Banned User

Post#218 » by il_knicks7 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:44 pm

If you think the coaching in NO is so bad, who should we credit for Davis' great defensive fundamentals? His positioning and use of his body are near perfect.
NOD
Junior

Post#219 » by NOD » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:49 pm

il_knicks7 wrote:

If you think the coaching in NO is so bad, who should we credit for Davis' great defensive fundamentals? His positioning and use of his body are near perfect.

It was great at UK as well. His defensive presence was the reason they won that championship

Note -- NOT denigrating or commenting on the Pelicans' coaching staff. Just saying that Davis has always seemed to have great defensive instinct and fundamentals.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,732

Post#220 » by Mik317 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:54 pm

win by 31

people still rag on a player to support their agendas.

This isn't about one player.People need to throw out their NBA fanboy **** for this..

I'm not even saying Rose is playing great or should start but to say he doesn't deserve his spot is silly to me. Lillard lacks the versility and Wall didn't perform (also lack the versitility) and both haven't been here before. People underestimate both of these things. Rose did not play well this game...yes but he still deserves his spot.

But the fact that some have made this entire thread about him is just **** sad and shows that some just cannot get past their own agenda. Save it for the regular season, this isn't the time for it.
#NeverGonnaBeGood

Return to The General Board