Glen Taylor Questions Love's Health & Defense.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,145

Re: Glen Taylor Questions Love's Health & Defense. 

Post#41 » by DarkAzcura » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:09 am

Wolf_Cry wrote:Taylor can say whatever he wants, and what he has said isn't false. Love isn't with the Wolves anymore. What's Love going to do about it? Leave? He already has. So screw it. No need to be nice or classy about a guy who wanted out of your organization anyways. He's the enemy now.

People crap on Taylor, but he's actually a pretty good owner. He doesn't get in the way of business decisions. Taylor's only fault is that he trusts his GM's way too much. Too much loyalty with someone who handles every major basketball operation. But Taylor doesn't penny pinch. The guy's competitive and wants to win. He isn't afraid to take chances. Why are fans, especially Wolves fan, so upset about Taylor? It could be a lot worse.

Are you sure about that? There was some rumblings out of Minnesota and Boston back in late April/May that Taylor didn't want to deal with the Celtics because of the KG deal. In the end, Minnesota got a great deal from the Cavs, but this was far before the lottery and far before anyone knew the Cavs would jump from the 9th spot to the 1st spot. Taylor said some dumb stuff about KG when he was traded to the Celtics also. I don't doubt Taylor is mostly a good owner, but he is pretty salty sometimes.
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 17,666

Post#42 » by HotRocks34 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:10 am

Taylor embarrassed himself with his remarks. I could swear he was talking in a comic sans font when he said this, and/or he was possessed by the spirit of Dan LeBatard's Akron Billboards while uttering this tripe.

It's even worse because Love was gracious towards Minny in his press conference today.

My guess is Taylor is crying himself to sleep right now on his couch with the TV running in the background.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the playoffs without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs without Klay
andremcosta
Bench Warmer
And1: 454

Post#43 » by andremcosta » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:25 am

TheKingofSting wrote:It is fair questions although I question the timing.

There's no timing for that.

You don't criticize a player that honored his contract and also allowed you to get the #1 pick in a good draft plus a couple of young players.

It's ok for the media and fans to talk about defense/health issues, not owners related to the situation.
Wolf_Cry
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,378

Post#44 » by Wolf_Cry » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:28 am

DarkAzcura wrote:
Wolf_Cry wrote:Taylor can say whatever he wants, and what he has said isn't false. Love isn't with the Wolves anymore. What's Love going to do about it? Leave? He already has. So screw it. No need to be nice or classy about a guy who wanted out of your organization anyways. He's the enemy now.

People crap on Taylor, but he's actually a pretty good owner. He doesn't get in the way of business decisions. Taylor's only fault is that he trusts his GM's way too much. Too much loyalty with someone who handles every major basketball operation. But Taylor doesn't penny pinch. The guy's competitive and wants to win. He isn't afraid to take chances. Why are fans, especially Wolves fan, so upset about Taylor? It could be a lot worse.

Are you sure about that? There was some rumblings out of Minnesota and Boston back in late April/May that Taylor didn't want to deal with the Celtics because of the KG deal. In the end, Minnesota got a great deal from the Cavs, but this was far before the lottery and far before anyone knew the Cavs would jump from the 9th spot to the 1st spot. Taylor said some dumb stuff about KG when he was traded to the Celtics also. I don't doubt Taylor is mostly a good owner, but he is pretty salty sometimes.

If there was any rumbling I didn't hear about it. You might be right, you might be wrong, but regardless I think Taylor and Flip both thought Love should garner more than what Boston offered (which most fans, including myself, thought was sufficed at the time).
Wolf_Cry
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,378

Post#45 » by Wolf_Cry » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:30 am

andremcosta wrote:

You don't criticize a player that honored his contract and also allowed you to get the #1 pick in a good draft plus a couple of young players.

It's ok for the media and fans to talk about defense/health issues, not owners related to the situation.

Love honor his contract until this offseason. He had one year left but already wanted out. Ironically, that was a good thing as the Wolves then could plan accordingly before we lost him to FA.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,011

Post#46 » by moss_is_1 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:50 am

I wish he'd just sell the team and move on.
Wonderllama
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,401

Post#47 » by Wonderllama » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:53 am

Poor Wiggins. He's gonna have to suffer in this organization like KG and Love did.
il_knicks7
Banned User
And1: 804

Post#48 » by il_knicks7 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:09 am

Not sure why Taylor is this mad. He got two #1 picks for Love with one of them having the potential of being even better than Love. He should be happy, not this salty.
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,277

Post#49 » by Black Jack » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:39 am

ElectricMayhem wrote:Taylor is trying to replicate the Dan Gilbert method of slandering your player to get him to come back a few years later. It has a 100% success rate thus far, so it's a pretty solid move. Although, if Taylor's comments weren't made in Comic Sans, it's all for naught.

Simmons bait :D

That would be a great story line...lets say 4 years from now the Cavs have gone 2-4 in the finals, and Love is a free agent....Minny might be the best available option. Wiggins could turn into a super baller and Dieng / Rubio / LaVine make it a great situation. They would have one more top 3 pick in place and all on rookie deals with plenty of cap room. Would Love go back to Minny? :o
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,515

Post#50 » by Worm Guts » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:34 pm

Wolf_Cry wrote:
People crap on Taylor, but he's actually a pretty good owner.

Based on what? All the success the Wolves have had?
WhateverBro
Head Coach
And1: 1,578

Post#51 » by WhateverBro » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:50 pm

toodles23 wrote:
trevor0333 wrote:Taylor approved it but Kahn pushed it. Taylor to his credit stays out of his GMs way & allows them to run the team. His history of who he hires is questionable to say the least.

There is some truth to the fact that 1 reason Love defense is porous is due to him not wanting to take fouls.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

This explanation makes no sense whatsoever. Love averaged 1.8 fouls per game last season, Taylor's just a bitter, classless idiot.

To be fair, Minnesota used not fouling as a strategy in their defense. His low foul numbers are simply because he didnt defend properly around the rim.

But yes, Taylor is an idiot. I've always said this ever since he blasted KG and accused him of tanking. One of the worst owners in the league.
Yoshun
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,713

Post#52 » by Yoshun » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:56 pm

Wolf_Cry wrote:
andremcosta wrote:

Love honor his contract until this offseason. He had one year left but already wanted out. Ironically, that was a good thing as the Wolves then could plan accordingly before we lost him to FA.

Yea he wanted out, but he was still ready to play for them. Love played his butt off for them during all of his time there. He just made it clear he wasn't going to re-sign there unless they had a winning season. He didn't go back on his contract in any way. These were just really unprofessional remarks by someone upset he couldn't hold onto yet another franchise player.
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#53 » by snoopdogg88 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:09 pm

Why am I not surprised this idiot was a state senator for years?
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#54 » by QRich3 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:22 pm

The more insight we get into NBA owners thinking, the more I'm convinced any moron with no life skills can get to be a billionaire if he finds himself in the right circumstances.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#55 » by improper » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:28 pm

If you discount the year where he broke his hand twice and only played in 18 games (because, let's be honest, that was a freak injury that could happen to anyone), Love has played an average of 69.2 games a season. That's not exactly injury prone. I think people just really blow that broken hand season out of proportion like it was happening every year.

For reference, Chris Bosh has averaged 71.7 games a season in Miami, which isn't exactly a huge difference.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,944

Post#56 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:53 pm

Taylor should question the crappy front offices he's put together that squandered 12 years of Kevin Garnett and another six with Kevin Love.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#57 » by Dat2U » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:54 pm

MitchellUK wrote:The first comment about Love not getting a lot of credit for success vs lots of blame for failure is probably true - he's the Chris Bosh of this trio. Lebron is Lebron, he'll do his thing, and if things aren't going well people are going to ask if he is getting the support from the rest of the roster. Kyrie was the incumbent Cav amongst the three, a rising star, and he's likely to be second in the pecking order. Odds are if things don't go well, people will automatically look at Kevin Love, warranted or otherwise.

The comments about Love's health and the Cavs intentions for his contract renewal are bitter and unnecessary, though.

I don't see it. Kyrie is not Dwyane Wade. He's not a superstar. He doesn't play like one either. Love taking a backseat to Kyrie makes no sense. It's LeBron > Love >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Irving.

IMO if any player has the pressure on him to perform, it's Kyrie, coming off a miserable year and still getting a brand new max deal.
Willarmm
Senior
And1: 235

Post#58 » by Willarmm » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:15 pm

To put it simply, owners get pissy at this stuff a lot. Dan Gilbert's reaction was a lot worse than this clearly, but in a way, his knee jerk reaction was actually more "justified" in comparison to the way their stars left and the rosters that were left behind.
Lord Hades
RealGM
And1: 7,279

Post#59 » by Lord Hades » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:17 pm

By and large, this is cognitive dissonance. Maybe even simple pettiness.

I read that Taylor took shots at Love being foul prone too. Umm...
[tweet]https://twitter.com/tomhaberstroh/status/504636634873479170[/tweet]

Of course, given that most fouls occur on defense... Well, Taylor had a point somewhere in there.
"We've proven that we can do it and we'll do it again."
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#60 » by Little Digger » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:25 pm

When Ive watched Kevin Love play, he always totally rests on defense and saves his energy for rebounding/scoring..

I highly doubt the Cavs are going to beat a West Power for a NBA championship next season
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.

Return to The General Board