Gonzalez: The point guard controversy should be over now!

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

PrinceCliche
Sixth Man
And1: 720

Gonzalez: The point guard controversy should be over now! 

Post#1 » by PrinceCliche » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:33 pm

The point guard controversy should be over now, folks. Folks in Chicago do not want to hear the truth, but the truth is this: Derrick Rose has not looked very good except for a couple of very brief stretches. He shot 0-for-3 today with one assist and three turnovers, he was 3-for-6 at the line, and he was a minus-4 in his 20 1/2 minutes and got toasted at least twice by Goran Dragic. Kyrie Irving, meanwhile, was a plus-39 and scored 13 points with three assists (FIBA statisticians are notoriously stingy when crediting assists) in his 24 minutes. Coach K told Marc Stein of ESPN.com that he was considering alternating Irving and Rose as starters when the World Cup begins. At this point, that would be silly. Irving is clearly the superior player right now.

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2014/08/26 ... 5PgCgG6.99
DemonLizard
Junior
And1: 280

Re: Gonzalez: The point guard controversy should be over now 

Post#2 » by DemonLizard » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:36 pm

Demar Derozan vs the world
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#3 » by improper » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:39 pm

I mean, dude's right. Irving has clearly outplayed Rose, and more importantly the team has been significantly better with Irving on the court than with Rose. This just strikes me as Coach K managing egos with Team USA. Irving will almost certainly remain the starter, but Coach K is making sure his ego doesn't get too bruised by treating the situation with kid gloves.
Bro Johnson
Banned User
And1: 330

Post#4 » by Bro Johnson » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:41 pm

Did Rose really outplay Wall or did the Shoe Gods play a role in his selection?
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,441

Post#5 » by Slava » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:43 pm

Bro Johnson wrote:Did Rose really outplay Wall or did the Shoe Gods play a role in his selection?

Both are with adidas right? But yeah I think it was best for everyone to cut Rose. He got his workout in now its time to rest and recuperate for the season start.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Bro Johnson
Banned User

Post#6 » by Bro Johnson » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:45 pm

Slava wrote:
Bro Johnson wrote:Did Rose really outplay Wall or did the Shoe Gods play a role in his selection?

Both are with adidas right? But yeah I think it was best for everyone to cut Rose. He got his workout in now its time to rest and recuperate for the season start.

Yes, but I believe Adidas has a lot more money tied up in Rose than they do in Wall.
andremcosta
Bench Warmer
And1: 454

Post#7 » by andremcosta » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:52 pm

I think Rose was is a lock because he was the best PG in the league before injuries.

It's obvious he's not even a top15 PG at this point, so noone cares if he's being outplayed. He will play because he was the best PG, still has potential, and team USA wants to help him to get back on track.

Even with Rose as a liability, team USA will win easily most of their games, so they can play Rose mpg without worrying how bad he looks.

In tougher matches, they can sit him if needed.
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#8 » by improper » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:55 pm

Wall played like crap during the televised stuff I saw, as did Lillard. To be honest, Irving and Curry were really the only two point guards (I know Curry is basically playing the two guard for this team, but you get the idea) that have stood out for Team USA so far.
Bro Johnson
Banned User

Post#9 » by Bro Johnson » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:00 pm

improper wrote:

Wall played like crap during the televised stuff I saw, as did Lillard. To be honest, Irving and Curry were really the only two point guards (I know Curry is basically playing the two guard for this team, but you get the idea) that have stood out for Team USA so far.

There's some truth to this, and I didn't have an issue with the Wall + Lillard cut initially but if Rose isn't 100%... It just kind of rubs me the wrong way...
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,164

Post#10 » by mademan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:00 pm

It doesn't really matter who starts or whatever. If Coach K/TT play Rose over Kyrie big minutes in elimination games and it's clear that he's struggling, then they deserve criticism. Until then, the starter/minute allocation doesn't matter for these exhibition games.
Keller61
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Post#11 » by Keller61 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:00 pm

andremcosta wrote:I think Rose was is a lock because he was the best PG in the league before injuries.

It's obvious he's not even a top15 PG at this point, so noone cares if he's being outplayed. He will play because he was the best PG, still has potential, and team USA wants to help him to get back on track.

Even with Rose as a liability, team USA will win easily most of their games, so they can play Rose mpg without worrying how bad he looks.

I think it's too soon to call Rose a liability based on one bad game. He was very good against Puerto Rico, and was ok in the other games. Based on the last game, you could say Harden is a liability too.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#12 » by Bernman » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:05 pm

It's not solely about who's better. It's also about who fits. And IMO Irving fits better as a back-up, because that's where Harden should be. He's not a 3 and he jeopardizes the starting lineup with his over-handling. But it's hard to see him and Rose playing together. They are both not very good off the ball. Irving is better at it. So you play him as the 6th man, similar to D-Wade in year's past. He played a lot of minutes off the bench and was arguably their best player in multiple tourneys, over LeBron. Irving can play more minutes than Rose, off the bench. It doesn't matter who starts, just how much you play and who finishes. Irving can sub in early and finish games.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#13 » by ManualRam » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:17 pm

what controversy is there? irving has played better. if he starts, he deserved it. both he and rose deserve to be on the team, both earned their spots and both serve a role on this team.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
andremcosta
Bench Warmer
And1: 454

Post#14 » by andremcosta » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:18 pm

Keller61 wrote:
andremcosta wrote:I think Rose was is a lock because he was the best PG in the league before injuries.

I think it's too soon to call Rose a liability based on one bad game. He was very good against Puerto Rico, and was ok in the other games. Based on the last game, you could say Harden is a liability too.

I never said Rose is a liability. I'm saying that in case he turns into a liability, they can just sit him and team USA still win.

They are not worrying about the fact he is not playing well, that's my only point. He's playing not because he's good or bad for the team. He is playing because he was great pre-injury, and they want to have him on the team no matter what.
Collymore
Starter
And1: 2,775

Post#15 » by Collymore » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:28 pm

Derrick Derozan.
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#16 » by Cliff Levingston » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:29 pm

There's no controversy when you've got a team full of all-stars. If Rose was to start and wasn't playing well then you just go to Irving. These games are only 40 minutes long so Irving could play 30 minutes to Rose's 10 which isn't heavy minutes at all and impact the game for 3/4 of it.

Return to The General Board