ESPN Future Power Rankings.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

burritoKURUMA
Senior
And1: 498

Re: ESPN Future Power Rankings. 

Post#21 » by burritoKURUMA » Tue Sep 9, 2014 7:27 pm

SIC wrote:
Meeksology wrote:
SIC wrote:
Money will always talk. Who likes to spend more than Nets?

Winning and Destination are a toss up.

Soooo which ones do you feel out of the group are the most realistic options to acquire?

Why Do I feel like I am being baited by TOR fans?

Those are just some of the Players that might be available. Who the hell knows who else will be available in trades or salary dumps?

You TOR fans are funny.

Are you guys trying to pressure me to say Derozan? LOL!!!!

Paranoid schizophrenia? Would that cause someone to mistake the Minnesota Timberwolves logo for a raptor?

To answer the question you seem to want to dodge for some reason, I'd say of that list you could make a case for Al Horford. It's no secret he prefers playing PF to C, and if the situation in Atlanta goes south, I can see him warm up to playing the 4 next to Brook Lopez. That's all I'm basing this off, though.

I don't see Noah coming to Brooklyn, and I imagine Derozen and Parsons will have better situations with their current teams. Of Howard, Batum and Conley, however, I can see scenarios in which a move to the Nets would be favorable. Probably unlikely, but possible.

But calm down, dude. The world (or Toronto, I suppose) ain't out to get you.
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,446

Post#22 » by CBS7 » Tue Sep 9, 2014 8:00 pm

Someone has to be last. I don't see a problem with Brooklyn down there.
Sure, they have a couple young players, some cap space coming up, and an international prospect or two, but what team doesn't have some combination of the above?

And yes, they have an owner who's willing to spend, but unfortunately there's a thing called the salary cap, so unless you're looking to overpay marginal talent, that doesn't help much in free agency. Blindly spending doesn't really get you anywhere either.

The only teams with arguably worse young talent/draft pick situation are probably LA and NY. But LA has historically been the best (or luckiest?) managed team ever, and NY still has Carmelo in his prime and Jackson in the fold.

Teams like Orlando/Minnesota/Milwakuee/Phili/Sacramento are laden with young talent. Some are unproven, but plain and simple their current rosters look better in both the near and far future.

Lots can change, but I'd probably put Brooklyn last based on what we know right now.
SIC
Senior
And1: 208

Post#23 » by SIC » Tue Sep 9, 2014 8:16 pm

burritoKURUMA wrote:
SIC wrote:
Meeksology wrote:Soooo which ones do you feel out of the group are the most realistic options to acquire?

Those are just some of the Players that might be available. Who the hell knows who else will be available in trades or salary dumps?

You TOR fans are funny.

Paranoid schizophrenia? Would that cause someone to mistake the Minnesota Timberwolves logo for a raptor?

Me and Meek go way back.

I didnt even notice that little logo.

I did notice the HUGE SIG with the WE ARE THE NORTH though.

Not sure if you saw it.

I answered the question as honestly as I could. No one knows what will happen in two years. Did CLE think two years ago Lebron was going to come back to CLE? Players might become available the dont seem available right now. Nets didnt think Dwill was available when they trade for him.
burritoKURUMA
Senior

Post#24 » by burritoKURUMA » Tue Sep 9, 2014 8:30 pm

SIC wrote:
burritoKURUMA wrote:
SIC wrote:

You TOR fans are funny.

Me and Meek go way back.

Not sure if you saw it.

I answered the question as honestly as I could. No one knows what will happen in two years. Did CLE think two years ago Lebron was going to come back to CLE? Players might become available the dont seem available right now. Nets didnt think Dwill was available when they trade for him.

:lol: I did not notice! Touche, sir.

But anyway, I just don't see the point in dumping a list of names down when talking about the future of the Nets, and then backing away entirely when pressed upon it. Especially since you can make a pretty reasonable argument for at least a few of them.

Still think the Nets don't look out of place in last for this though, so I also don't understand the outrage.
Meeksology
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,549

Post#25 » by Meeksology » Tue Sep 9, 2014 8:39 pm

SIC wrote:
burritoKURUMA wrote:
SIC wrote:

You TOR fans are funny.

Me and Meek go way back.

Not sure if you saw it.

SIC!! Didnt even know that you were the Brooklyn fan I replied to until now lol

Back on topic - these reports and articles are going off of what they know at the moment, and presently they feel Brooklyn is at the bottom in regards to having a good future. Now Im not one of those peeps that believe everything they read from ESPN but it cant be a coincidence that most of these articles that come out (regarding a teams future) ranks the nets near the bottom.

Lastly no, I wasnt trying to bait you to say derozan. I simply wanted to know who you felt the Nets had a chance of acquiring
SIC
Senior
And1: 208

Post#26 » by SIC » Tue Sep 9, 2014 8:45 pm

Meeksology wrote:
SIC wrote:
burritoKURUMA wrote:

Me and Meek go way back.

Not sure if you saw it.

SIC!! Didnt even know that you were the Brooklyn fan I replied to until now lol

Back on topic - these reports and articles are going off of what they know at the moment, and presently they feel Brooklyn is at the bottom in regards to having a good future. Now Im not one of those peeps that believe everything they read from ESPN but it cant be a coincidence that most of these articles that come out (regarding a teams future) ranks the nets near the bottom.

Lastly no, I wasnt trying to bait you to say derozan. I simply wanted to know who you felt the Nets had a chance of acquiring

I know I was just kidding.

Like I said above, I really dont know who the Nets will be able to get. All I know is that the past few years have shown that teams with cap space that can absorb BAD contracts can get Talented Players.
WolvesGuy14
Sixth Man
And1: 2,047

Post#27 » by WolvesGuy14 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:27 pm

burritoKURUMA wrote:
WolvesGuy14 wrote:It may just be me, but a 3 year outlook for a "Future" Power Rankings is a horrible length of time to choose.

Why? I think three years is pretty accurate.

Any shorter and it hardly justifies calling it a "future" ranking.

Any longer and the landscape for each team (with so many players probably being off the books after 3 years) is so flexible that it would be hard to rank too many teams over one another; almost everyone would have significant cap space.

I would be curious to see an alternative though.

But that's what I think of when I hear future. Which team is in position to be good in 5 seasons?

The landscape after two years is so flexible.
noobcake wrote:I would trade Wiggins for Love any day. Wiggins projects as a role player for me.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#28 » by Michael Lucky » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:52 pm

WolvesGuy14 wrote:
burritoKURUMA wrote:
WolvesGuy14 wrote:It may just be me, but a 3 year outlook for a "Future" Power Rankings is a horrible length of time to choose.

Any longer and the landscape for each team (with so many players probably being off the books after 3 years) is so flexible that it would be hard to rank too many teams over one another; almost everyone would have significant cap space.

But that's what I think of when I hear future. Which team is in position to be good in 5 seasons?

Because it's impossible to calculate. No one knows what a team's roster is going to look like 4 to 5 years from now.
WolvesGuy14
Sixth Man
And1: 2,047

Post#29 » by WolvesGuy14 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:37 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:
WolvesGuy14 wrote:
burritoKURUMA wrote:

Because it's impossible to calculate. No one knows what a team's roster is going to look like 4 to 5 years from now.

Except for teams with young talent. Philly with Noel and Embiid. Wolves with Wiggins, Bennett, Lavine, and Dieng.

We don't know what a team's roster is going to look like next year. It's all hypothetical.
noobcake wrote:I would trade Wiggins for Love any day. Wiggins projects as a role player for me.
burritoKURUMA
Senior

Post#30 » by burritoKURUMA » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:23 pm

WolvesGuy14 wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:
WolvesGuy14 wrote:

Except for teams with young talent. Philly with Noel and Embiid. Wolves with Wiggins, Bennett, Lavine, and Dieng.

We don't know what a team's roster is going to look like next year. It's all hypothetical.

Yeah but if your goal is to write a halfway decent article on the subject, you have to draw the line somewhere. A team preview for 5 years from now is complete fiction. The NBA is too unpredictable to make any kind of sane argument for how things are going to be that far in the future.

What if you did a 5-year ranking from 2010? Who's at the top of that list? Miami? Boston? The Lakers?

And no one is saying this 3-year model is perfect--or even good, for that matter--but at least there is something to go off within that time frame.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,247

Post#31 » by sfernald » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:27 pm

burritoKURUMA wrote:
SIC wrote:
Meeksology wrote:Soooo which ones do you feel out of the group are the most realistic options to acquire?

You TOR fans are funny.

To answer the question you seem to want to dodge for some reason, I'd say of that list you could make a case for Al Horford. It's no secret he prefers playing PF to C, and if the situation in Atlanta goes south, I can see him warm up to playing the 4 next to Brook Lopez. That's all I'm basing this off, though.

I don't see Noah coming to Brooklyn, and I imagine Derozen and Parsons will have better situations with their current teams. Of Howard, Batum and Conley, however, I can see scenarios in which a move to the Nets would be favorable. Probably unlikely, but possible.

But calm down, dude. The world (or Toronto, I suppose) ain't out to get you.

I love Toronto fans. How's the rain today boys?

Return to The General Board