Garnett Hall of Fame

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,086
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: Garnett Hall of Fame 

Post#21 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:11 am

KG seen his beginning, his substantial growth, his pinnacle, and even his career start the slow decline in Minnesota. I don't think the Boston fans will ever have the love for Garnett that Minnesota does, it's just not the same when you watch someone grow from a scrawny high schooler into a dominant MVP over a 12 year span. Not a knock to Boston or their great fans either, it's just different. Garnett is the only face the Wolves have ever had, and they haven't even made a post season without him yet.

There was a lot of injury and stuff along the way, it really didn't seem like KG even spent 6 years in Boston to me..
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
WhateverBro
Head Coach
And1: 1,578

Post#22 » by WhateverBro » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:23 am

I'm torn, and would be perfectly okay with both options. Leaning towards T'Wolves though, it's just that how it ended effects his views on the franchise.. But on the other hand, he loves the fans and always will. Remember during the ANYTHING IS POSSIBLEEE interview, one of the first things he said was "this is for 'Sota!".
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#23 » by SlowPaced » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:29 am

Timberwolves for sure. He was THE franchise. Never made the Playoffs before him, never made it after him.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#24 » by Jakay » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:35 am

Obviously the Nets. His legend cemented, he puts on an ironic shirt and picks up a latte.

But seriously, I'm glad they don't have to choose. Also the answer is obvious. Who do you think will give him the official hand shake... Doc Rivers?

Spoiler:
Or Flip Saunders...
abark
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,416

Post#25 » by abark » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:08 pm

bran muffin wrote: Garnett's inability to raise the Timberwolves Franchise the way Duncan & Dirk raised theirs is a black mark on his career... one that he'd rather forget.

No, his ability to win his first year after leaving is a black mark on those garbage Wolves teams
GameOver25
RealGM
And1: 5,705

Post#26 » by GameOver25 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:44 pm

People who are old enough to remember KG throughout his whole career would most definitely say Timberwolves.
Sam6
Junior
And1: 289

Post#27 » by Sam6 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:17 pm

KG is a Celtic.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Garnett Hall of Fame 

Post#28 » by RSCD3_ » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:36 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:
bringWallyBack wrote:This isn't about if he does or doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame but if the Basketball Hall of Fame had a similar concept like Baseball where players represent one team they played for. Which jersey would Kevin Garnett wear, Timberwolves or Celtics?

It would be the T-wolves.

Not only is that the clear choice by any objective measure or subjective sense of his peak capabilities...Minny's never had a HOFer of their own before, and frankly it's unclear when the next one would be now that Love's left. To bin him in the already massive Boston pile would be a bit of an insult.

I think Garnett himself would choose the celtics.

The guy loved to win and I think he harbors I'll will to minnesotas front offic since glen taylor questioned his effort, saying he tanked ( probably the most ridiculous criticism of KG vet )

And we know he has harbored grudges. He'll probably get his jersey retired in minny because of his loyalty, but I think he enjoyed his boston career more

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Post#29 » by slicedbread2 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:09 am

I think it's pretty obvious he'd wear the Minnesota jersey as he's always been a dude who strikes me as the guy who loves being the face and leader of the pack. When you think of the Timberwolves, you think of the big ticket, the kid, the franchise player. When Boston comes to mind, the first people that come off the mind are Larry Bird and Bill Russell.

I wouldn't be surprised though if he went with Boston knowing that idiot owner Glen Taylor and how much of a tool he was and the fact that he and Kevin McHale squandered his prime and wasted his time with not placing the right pieces around him to win titles will really bear on him. The only way I think he'd be at peace with the organization is if Taylor sold the team to a new ownership group.

Loved his game and it's a shame to see what Father time has done to him.
bruh
Senior
And1: 745

Post#30 » by bruh » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:14 am

wolves
FANOFNBA
Analyst
And1: 32

Post#31 » by FANOFNBA » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:39 am

t-wolves no doubt
thinktellectual
Rookie
And1: 726

Post#32 » by thinktellectual » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:25 am

Destructor wrote:He'd be recognized as a Timberwolf.

When he really should be recognized as a douchebag.
celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,078

Post#33 » by celtics543 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:59 pm

Even as a Celtics fan that would love to see KG go in to the Hall as a Celtic (if he had to pick a team) he should go in as a Timberwolf.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,380

Post#34 » by robbie84 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:01 pm

bran muffin wrote:Years:
    TWolves - 12 years
    Celtics - 6 years

Championships:
    TWolves: None
    Celtics: One

Statistics:
    TWolves - About 21 ppg, 12 rpg
    Celtics - About 15 ppg, 8 rpg

All NBA First or Second Team:
    TWolves: Six

League MVP:
    TWolves: One
    Celtics: None

It's pretty obvious which franchise KG's legacy belongs with. But if it were up to KG, I'm sure he'd choose the Celtics. Garnett's inability to raise the Timberwolves Franchise the way Duncan & Dirk raised theirs is a black mark on his career... one that he'd rather forget.

lol at that heinous last comment. Neither Duncan nor Nowitzki were lifting that team any higher than Garnett ever did. WCF is a good achievement with that terrible roster.
Garnett is arguably as good as Tim Duncan, and he never had a sniff of team mates like Duncan until he went to Boston.
If his knee injury doesn't happen in 2009 they're probably looking at 3-4 championships.

Garnett in Boston and Minn before injury is better than Dirk Nowitzki.
Both obvious legends.

Swap KG and Duncan and Wolves and Spurs have pretty much the same results save injuries.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
pylb
General Manager
And1: 3,680

Post#35 » by pylb » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:07 pm

spaceballer wrote:It would be funny if the rule was that you entered the Hall of Fame wearing your last jersey. Michael Jordan in a Wizards jersey in the hall of fame :lol:

I'd give him to the Wolves. Pierce was more "the Celtic". What about Ray Allen though ?
RondoToKG
Head Coach
And1: 1,482

Post#36 » by RondoToKG » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:19 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:KG seen his beginning, his substantial growth, his pinnacle, and even his career start the slow decline in Minnesota. I don't think the Boston fans will ever have the love for Garnett that Minnesota does, it's just not the same when you watch someone grow from a scrawny high schooler into a dominant MVP over a 12 year span. Not a knock to Boston or their great fans either, it's just different. Garnett is the only face the Wolves have ever had, and they haven't even made a post season without him yet.

There was a lot of injury and stuff along the way, it really didn't seem like KG even spent 6 years in Boston to me..

Agree with all of that except the part where you know Celtics fans don't admire KG as much as Timerwolves fans... that guy brought us a championship when we hadn't seen one in a long time. He means a lot to Boston fans.
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#37 » by PKABOOICU » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:58 pm

hes a wolf before a celtic in my eyes. my 1b fav player ever. (1a glen rice)
Star-Lord
Starter
And1: 1,325

Post#38 » by Star-Lord » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:11 pm

He's a Timberwolf as far as I'm concerned. It certainly doesn't help that his on court behavior turned bizarre and indefensible once he landed in Boston, but Timberwolves basketball has been, and will continue to be synonymous with Kevin Garnett. I mean, would Minnesota even have a franchise today if it wasn't for him dragging that team to respectability year after year?
WolvesGuy14
Sixth Man
And1: 2,047

Post#39 » by WolvesGuy14 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:14 pm

spacemonkey wrote:KG only getting to the WCF in his years as a Wolf is not a black mark on his career. He had some godawful teams, and during his tenure with the Wolves, their own GM handicapped their team with the whole Joe Smith debacle.

He actually had some very good teams. Just some bad luck with Marbury and Gugliotta and then Cassell and Sprewell.

Not to mention the death of his closest friend.
noobcake wrote:I would trade Wiggins for Love any day. Wiggins projects as a role player for me.
WolvesGuy14
Sixth Man
And1: 2,047

Post#40 » by WolvesGuy14 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:30 pm

robbie84 wrote:
bran muffin wrote:Years:
    TWolves - 12 years
    Celtics - 6 years

Championships:
    TWolves: None

Statistics:
    TWolves - About 21 ppg, 12 rpg
    Celtics - About 15 ppg, 8 rpg

All NBA First or Second Team:
    TWolves: Six

League MVP:
    TWolves: One
    Celtics: None

It's pretty obvious which franchise KG's legacy belongs with. But if it were up to KG, I'm sure he'd choose the Celtics. Garnett's inability to raise the Timberwolves Franchise the way Duncan & Dirk raised theirs is a black mark on his career... one that he'd rather forget.

lol at that heinous last comment. Neither Duncan nor Nowitzki were lifting that team any higher than Garnett ever did. WCF is a good achievement with that terrible roster.
Garnett is arguably as good as Tim Duncan, and he never had a sniff of team mates like Duncan until he went to Boston.
If his knee injury doesn't happen in 2009 they're probably looking at 3-4 championships.

Garnett in Boston and Minn before injury is better than Dirk Nowitzki.
Both obvious legends.

Swap KG and Duncan and Wolves and Spurs have pretty much the same results save injuries.

The 2003-2004 Wolves were loaded with perfect complements. Terrible roster? Come on.

Do people honestly remember KG only having teammates like McCants, Foye, and Mark Blount?

He had some pretty decent talent around him.
noobcake wrote:I would trade Wiggins for Love any day. Wiggins projects as a role player for me.

Return to The General Board