The 90's Were Watered Down

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

LeChosen One
Banned User
And1: 465

The 90's Were Watered Down 

Post#1 » by LeChosen One » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:40 pm

Jordan was a great player but his legacy is a facade to some extent. He started winning in the 90's when the Lakers, Celtics and Pistons were in decline. Sure there were some dominant big men there but when you talk about rival wing players, they were not as good as the players of today. KD is better than any rival Jordan had in the 90's for example. Also the Spurs of now (and mid 2000's) were better than any team Jordan faced in the Finals.

Put LeBron on that team and they win all of those Finals also. Jordan is a GOAT candidate for sure, he's a more efficient Kobe (which is great) but he's not the end all be all everyone claims to be.

Just saying.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,163

Re: The 90's Were Watered Down 

Post#2 » by Chuck Everett » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:53 pm

Lebron would not win all those Finals, not even close. He would have lost to Phoenix, Seattle, possibly those Utah teams and maybe even those Knicks teams too because for as strong as he is, he also happens moments when he plays soft as baby ****.

Lebron's era is the perfect era for him. If you took his current mindset to the 90's, he'd still be unbelievable, but he is nowhere close to being as vicious in his will to win.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Meeksology
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,547

Post#3 » by Meeksology » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:59 pm

Please. LeStop the. LeMadness. LeNow.
Sign5
Head Coach
And1: 9,641

Post#4 » by Sign5 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:59 pm

Username: LeChosen one
Archerbro
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,238

Post#5 » by Archerbro » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:03 am

You can make alot of eras sound watered down if you try hard enough.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,954

Post#6 » by Optms » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:03 am

In a gist: The league only became good when Lebron was drafted because Lebron is my God, my everything.

Basically OP's thoughts in a nut shell.
LeChosen One
Banned User

Post#7 » by LeChosen One » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:04 am

Chuck Everett wrote:Lebron would not win all those Finals, not even close. He would have lost to Phoenix, Seattle, possibly those Utah teams and maybe even those Knicks teams too because for as strong as he is, he also happens moments when he plays soft as baby ****.

Lebron's era is the perfect era for him. If you took his current mindset to the 90's, he'd still be unbelievable, but he is nowhere close to being as vicious in his will to win.

Only time he played soft was against the Mavs to be honest, I'm sure he would adjust accordingly to the physicality. He's still stronger than most and he would of destroyed those less talented 90's players.
LeChosen One
Banned User

Post#8 » by LeChosen One » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:15 am

Optms wrote:In a gist: The league only became good when Lebron was drafted because Lebron is my God, my everything.

I'm speaking the truth. This generation of players (excluding LeBron) would destroy the 90's players bruh.

The two biggest talents of the 90's were Penny and Grant Hill, but injuries ruined them.
Meeksology
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,547

Post#9 » by Meeksology » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:17 am

LeChosen One wrote:
Optms wrote:In a gist: The league only became good when Lebron was drafted because Lebron is my God, my everything.

I'm speaking the truth. This generation of players (excluding LeBron) would destroy the 90's players bruh.

The two biggest talents of the 90's were Penny and Grant Hill, but injuries ruined them.

If you think those two were the biggest talents of the 90's u should stop right now bruh
2LeTTeRS
Senior
And1: 463

Post#10 » by 2LeTTeRS » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:18 am

LeChosen One wrote:

So Shaq wasn't a "big talent"? Got it.
LeChosen One
Banned User

Post#11 » by LeChosen One » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:20 am

2LeTTeRS wrote:
LeChosen One wrote:

So Shaq wasn't a "big talent"? Got it.

Perimeter players > Big Men
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#12 » by 12footrim » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:21 am

Steering away from the Lebron debate, I do agree the league was watered down.

#1 there were like 6 teams added from 88 to 95. With out looking it up I know that is pretty close. Like 4 in the late 80's and 2 in 95. Those conveniently correlate with his first title run and then his second one and record 72 win season.That's a ton of players that were on other teams suddenly missing from each teams rosters that had to be made up from what today is D-leaguesish.

#2 Foreign players. There wasn't a pool of foreign players like there is today either. I think there are 25 to 30% foreign born players today. That's a lot deeper a pool of players that didn't really exist then, at least not in these numbers.

#3 Sure there were bigs back then, but today the NBA shoots 20% of three's and most wings need a 3 pointers. The leage average was 5 to 10% before. It's a style of game Jordan really never was that great at. Ironically the only years he really shot well was when the NBA moved the line in to the outskirts of his range. That also ironically was the same year he made his real comeback and the bulls won 72 games. Hmm.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
Steven1562
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,180

Post#13 » by Steven1562 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:21 am

LeChosen One wrote:

Shaq
Clyde Drexler
Patrick Ewing
Alonzo Mourning
Chris Mullin
Reggie Miller
Gary Payton
Stockton
Barkley
David Robinson
Karl Malone
Hakeem
Kemp
Dennis Rodman
Mitch Richmond

i'm counting 14 HOF's ... how many HOF's do you see in the NBA today ???
Any time y'all wanna see me again
Rewind this track right here, close your eyes
and picture me rollin

Scottie Barnes Believer.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,883

Post#14 » by tmorgan » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:22 am

What made Jordan JORDAN was unbelievable athleticism and an unbelievable drive to dominate.

What makes LeBron LEBRON is unbelievable athleticism.

There's a difference. Talent can take you a long way, and LeBron may be even more talented than Jordan, but that's not enough to win by itself.

Also, you're fooling yourself if you think the 90's were any more watered down than the league is right now.
LeChosen One
Banned User

Post#15 » by LeChosen One » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:25 am

Steven1562 wrote:
LeChosen One wrote:

Shaq
Clyde Drexler
Patrick Ewing
Alonzo Mourning
Chris Mullin
Reggie Miller
Gary Payton
Stockton
Barkley
David Robinson
Karl Malone
Hakeem
Kemp
Dennis Rodman

i'm counting 13 HOF's ... how many HOF's do you see in the NBA today ???

When I say 90's I mean players that entered the league in the 90's though..

Off the top of my head.. Bron, KD, Westbrook, Wade, Howard, CP3, Parker, Duncan, Ginobili, Curry, Allen, KG, Pierce.. I can go on and on man
Vinsanity_GOAT
Pro Prospect
And1: 331

Post#16 » by Vinsanity_GOAT » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:27 am

I kinda get where op is coming from, Though i don't necessarily agree with his reasons. Basically i don't believe jordan's opposition was inferior to what today's stars face. However, imo his supporting cast gets underrated quite a bit and it's my belief that jordan was rendered completely untouchable in the 90's. This is based solely on the 20-30 (mostly playoff) games i've seen. People always say that defense was much more physical back then, yet all i see is jordan getting the 2006 d-wade treatment --> if you come within an inch of his skin when he shoots you'll get a foul call. In short, the more i see of jordan, the more his legend turns into myth for me.

Jordan was obviously a great player, but to me it's clear that stern propelled him to his current goat status in order to promote the nba in general. And he succeeded, immensely. He turned jordan into a global icon and mj attracted an international crowd. I fell for it as well, just like pretty much everyone.
NickAnderson
General Manager
And1: 2,922

Post#17 » by NickAnderson » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:28 am

If the league was watered down then, wtf are we in now then??

Sent from my VS985 4G using RealGM Forums mobile app

Return to The General Board