What mens teams could the 2014 Phoenix Mercury beat?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,307

Re: What mens teams could the 2014 Phoenix Mercury beat? 

Post#141 » by DrCoach » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:48 am

A WNBA player is not stopping a couple of 6'5 guys in the post

They could beat some DIII teams if they shoot the ball well
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,726

Post#142 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:03 am

Skylar Diggins came to play pickup ball at where I went to school. She certainly doesn't dominate.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,082

Post#143 » by SOUL » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:25 am

HEAT33 wrote:Call me sexist or whatever. But I don't believe women playing sport is entertaining at all, they look slow and unskilled.

I think there shouldn't be any female sports, if they want to play or compete in sport or Olympics, they should have to try compete with men, after all they want to be equal right?

possibly the dumbest thing i've ever read on realgm, and that's saying something.
Manitoba
Junior
And1: 74

Post#144 » by Manitoba » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:28 am

SmoothKobra wrote:Your average boy's HS team would probably beat the average WNBA team by about 10-15 points.

It doesn't matter how skilled you are if you can't get a shot off. The gap in athleticism is gigantic.

This, with one proviso. The athleticism advantage of the boys would be pretty overwhelming. The WNBA team would have trouble getting a shot off one-on-one -- but they wouldn't be going one-on-one; they would run screens all day long to free up their shooters.

So the boys would need decent team defense, and that is my proviso. If they can rotate well on screens, they would destroy the WNBA team because the women would not be able to get stops against the athletic boys.
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,267

Post#145 » by mtron929 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:31 am

J the Drafter wrote:I found an article on chess that is somewhat related to this topic: Why Men Rank Higher than Women at Chess (It's Not Biological). Men have a near-monopoly on the upper tiers of chess, with only one woman breaking into the list of 100 top players and men being the only ones to become World Champion. However, the article explains that this discrepancy in playing ability is almost exactly what would be expected statistically given that far more men play chess in the first place. Since there are more men playing chess, it's more likely that great chess players will be found amongst men. I know that basketball isn't chess, but it seems the point raised in that article has a modicum of carry-over. Go to the youngest, most basic level of basketball: amateur pick-up games played by kids. What's the ratio of girls to boys on the court? One in ten? One in twenty? If you take the most talented members of each gender from that court--and from similar courts across the country-- boys are more likely to offer great players through sheer statistical likelihood. More boys playing basketball means more people with a chance to be great players among the male demographic. I'm not saying that the ratio of male to female is the only reason, or the biggest reason, that men's leagues are better, and that men and women could play with each other if the ratio of male to female in basketball was 1:1. I just think it's a factor that can't be overlooked when trying to use college and the pros to try and figure out the athletic differences between men and women.

But there are also reasons why more men play chess in the first place. The ones who pick up chess and are willing to devote time into it are the ones who probably possess intelligence and find enjoyment in logical thinking and problem solving. Same goes for basketball. If you are athletic and tall, then there would have been opportunities to play basketball to assess your talents. Most of us were not fit from the beginning and gave up dreams to be a basketball player relatively quickly in our lives.
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,267

Post#146 » by mtron929 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:35 am

If the WNBA setup a series between the WNBA winner and the national high school championship team, it would garner enormous ratings. Unfortunately, the WNBA might get exposed in the process. But then again, I am not sure if it hurts their brand amongst the current fans. Are many WNBA fans going to be turned off if the Mercury get destroyed by high schoolers? I don't know.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 19,958

Post#147 » by tsherkin » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:46 am

I'm pretty sure that D1 teams and above would handily crush the Mercury. I've never been really blown away by WNBA ball to begin with. Most of their teams are pretty bad in comparison with NBA squads or even high-end college squads. Some of it's funding, some of it is percentage of the gender which participates, some of it is simply physics. Size would murder the Mercury.

Remember when it was an EVENT, a big one, that 6'5 Lisa Leslie the center finally dunked in a live game? This isn't World vs USA where the world teams have some serious skill and size, and can occasionally compete against certain Team USA squads, you know? I'm all for giving props where it's due regardless of gender, but there are some physical differences here and there isn't a skill gap in favor of the women's squads. A team with that kind of athleticism and NBA-level skill and tactics would tear the Mercury apart.

I do think that they'd crush HS teams, though, I don't think that's a valid argument. AAU teams are mostly crap to begin with, being exceptionally undisciplined, inexperienced and usually playing a fairly stupid style of basketball. I can't watch HS basketball, it's awful, it's like rec league BS. They often have terrible fundamentals and their athleticism is worth only so much. While the NBA is fairly unimpressive in its 2pt shooting, they seem just fine bombing away from the perimeter and with passing, so if a HS team can't defend well, they're screwed.
RoboJesus
Freshman
And1: 75

Post#148 » by RoboJesus » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:27 am

Such a riveting and interesting discussion, strange that this topic has never been brought up before.
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,715

Post#149 » by naabzor » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:34 am

Manitoba wrote:
SmoothKobra wrote:Your average boy's HS team would probably beat the average WNBA team by about 10-15 points.

It doesn't matter how skilled you are if you can't get a shot off. The gap in athleticism is gigantic.

This, with one proviso. The athleticism advantage of the boys would be pretty overwhelming. The WNBA team would have trouble getting a shot off one-on-one -- but they wouldn't be going one-on-one; they would run screens all day long to free up their shooters.

So the boys would need decent team defense, and that is my proviso. If they can rotate well on screens, they would destroy the WNBA team because the women would not be able to get stops against the athletic boys.

Girls are not good ball screener due to size against men. I think that the first time a guy crush into a girl screen the girl is probably done for the game.
Joseph17
RealGM
And1: 529

Post#150 » by Joseph17 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:03 pm

mtron929 wrote:If the WNBA setup a series between the WNBA winner and the national high school championship team, it would garner enormous ratings. Unfortunately, the WNBA might get exposed in the process. But then again, I am not sure if it hurts their brand amongst the current fans. Are many WNBA fans going to be turned off if the Mercury get destroyed by high schoolers? I don't know.

That's a horrible idea because the high school team would win. Imagine High School Lebron, Kobe, Melo, Jabari, etc going up against Griner. It would be ridiculous. I suggested an NFL vs. WNBA game during the WNBA all-star game. I think that game would actually get ratings and make the WNBA all-star game relevant for once. A lot of NFL players played basketball in the past and they are obviously bigger, faster, and stronger. I think it'll be an interesting game. I personally think either team would win depending on which NFL players they pick. If they picked the NFL players who are the best at football, I think the WNBA would win because chances are some of the best NFL players never played that much basketball. If they picked the NFL players who are the best at basketball, I think the NFL would win. If they simply randomly selected NFL players, I think it would be interesting.
pg16kid
Junior
And1: 27

Post#151 » by pg16kid » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:29 pm

Mujahydeen wrote:You guys ever heard of Venus and Serena WIlliams playing 200-th ranked ATP guy, who drank a couple of beers before the game?

Nah -- enlighten me. What happened?
Benstar (Music Producer)

http://soundcloud.com/benstar16
Shuttlesworth34
Junior
And1: 561

Post#152 » by Shuttlesworth34 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:32 pm

Most top Womens CBB teams scrimmage against a mens intramural team from their school and get their ass kicked on a daily basis even when rules like "no dunking" get added in. The reality is that basketball enhances the difference between men and women more then any other sport other than football. They simply do not have the size and athleticism to keep up despite superior fundamental play.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,307

Post#153 » by DrCoach » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:16 pm

Sorry, Im 6'1 and no girl is stopping me in the paint when I played in college
CBB_Fan
Senior
And1: 138

Post#154 » by CBB_Fan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:07 pm

They could might be able to beat a Grambling State level D1 program, or an average to below average DII or DIII team. They would lose badly to any decent to good D1 college team, any professional team, or any of the NBA prep high school teams.

There are massive variances in high school and college play levels, so I don't think it is unfair to say that they'd win some and lose some badly. Findlay Prep is in a different world from Small Town High, and Grambling State is in a different world from Duke. Against any team with world-class athletes (U16+ men's teams, NBA prep high schools, good college programs) they would get destroyed.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,549

Post#155 » by yosemiteben » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:12 pm

Ever seen a thread topic and been like, "Oh wow, no way I'm stepping foot in that thread," then seen it grow steadily and said, "Man, I bet there is some stupid ass things being posted in that thread," then had it continue to grow to the point that you feel obligated to check it to see if you're right?

Confirmed. There is a dumb ass thread.
Joseph17
RealGM
And1: 529

Post#156 » by Joseph17 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Shuttlesworth34 wrote:Most top Womens CBB teams scrimmage against a mens intramural team from their school and get their ass kicked on a daily basis even when rules like "no dunking" get added in. The reality is that basketball enhances the difference between men and women more then any other sport other than football. They simply do not have the size and athleticism to keep up despite superior fundamental play.

My school's mid-major D1 team scrimmaged against random guys playing at the gym and they completely embarrassed them. The Mercury would also blow out any of the NCAA women's teams including UCONN probably. If they played an average D1 team like lets say Wake Forest I'd expect them to win by about 70. There is a really big difference between the talent of NCAA women and the talent of the WNBA. Even women who will probably go down as all-time greats like Maya Moore and Brittney Griner struggled in their rookie years.
ingvald
Veteran
And1: 1,861

Post#157 » by ingvald » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:49 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Ever seen a thread topic and been like, "Oh wow, no way I'm stepping foot in that thread," then seen it grow steadily and said, "Man, I bet there is some stupid ass things being posted in that thread," then had it continue to grow to the point that you feel obligated to check it to see if you're right?

Confirmed. There is a dumb ass thread.

Only one?
Honesty is my only excuse.
BullsFan88- the Sig Mamba
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,083

Post#158 » by mademan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:50 pm

They'd get throttled by most good highschool teams. A team full of elite middle school players would probably hold their own.

Return to The General Board