Head Coaching Jobs That Are On The Hot Seat

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Coaching Hot Seats

Kevin McHale
45%
Scott Brooks
41%
Monty Williams
8%
Brian Shaw
6%

Total votes: 80

heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 6,258

Re: Head Coaching Jobs That Are On The Hot Seat 

Post#21 » by heat4life » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:12 pm

McHale is too easy. Scott Brooks might be the one with a short leash as well. Another name to keep in mind is David Blatt in Cleveland. He needs to prove that he can coach at this level. I believe he'll get a couple of seasons of trial but Lebron will not have the patience (or the time) to wait for a coach to learn the NBA. It is kind of the same situation Spoelstra dealt with during the Big 3's first season.
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
Risk101
General Manager
And1: 19,145

Post#22 » by Risk101 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:28 pm

heat4life wrote:McHale is too easy. Scott Brooks might be the one with a short leash as well. Another name to keep in mind is David Blatt in Cleveland. He needs to prove that he can coach at this level. I believe he'll get a couple of seasons of trial but Lebron will not have the patience (or the time) to wait for a coach to learn the NBA. It is kind of the same situation Spoelstra dealt with during the Big 3's first season.

Eric Spoelstra was essentially a rookie coach. Wasn't he the video coordinater for the team before assuming the helm.

Lebron has a some what similar team assembled around him like in Miami. I don't see any reason why that team wouldn't make it to the Finals, barring any series injuries, for years to come.
heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 6,258

Post#23 » by heat4life » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:33 pm

Risk101 wrote:
heat4life wrote:McHale is too easy. Scott Brooks might be the one with a short leash as well. Another name to keep in mind is David Blatt in Cleveland. He needs to prove that he can coach at this level. I believe he'll get a couple of seasons of trial but Lebron will not have the patience (or the time) to wait for a coach to learn the NBA. It is kind of the same situation Spoelstra dealt with during the Big 3's first season.

Eric Spoelstra was essentially a rookie coach. Wasn't he the video coordinater for the team before assuming the helm.

Lebron has a some what similar team assembled around him like in Miami. I don't see any reason why that team wouldn't make it to the Finals, barring any series injuries, for years to come.

No. Spoelstra coached the Heat to the playoffs for two seasons before Lebron came to Miami. He was an assistant coach under Riley and SVG before that. Yes he was a video coordinator with the organization but that was back in the 90's.
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
nbafan38
Head Coach
And1: 5,397

Post#24 » by nbafan38 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:45 pm

Scott Brooks should be on a very HOT seat, idk if he is with that ownership though.
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,454

Post#25 » by whocurrz » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:25 pm

XTC wrote:Greg Popovich. This bum has been getting a free pass for too long. The Greg Ostertag of NBA coaches.

I wonder how many teams would basically ruin their relationships with their coach by courting Pop and how much he could make on the open market. I'd think easily 10 million if he wanted to chase the money
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,206

Post#26 » by King4Day » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:32 pm

I could see McHale only if Houston missed the playoffs. MAYBE if they got beat in round one handily.

I think Monty has a free pass this year but if they don't show drastic improvement, he'll be on the hot seat next season.

Brooks, only if they get bounced in round 1 or beat down in round 2. He probably should be in the most trouble but there's not much you can do if the GM doesn't do much to change the team up.

Shaw dealt with injuries last year. I could see Denver having a .500 season and I don't think he'll be in trouble (potentially) until next season.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,206

Post#27 » by King4Day » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:40 pm

whocurrz wrote:
XTC wrote:Greg Popovich. This bum has been getting a free pass for too long. The Greg Ostertag of NBA coaches.

I wonder how many teams would basically ruin their relationships with their coach by courting Pop and how much he could make on the open market. I'd think easily 10 million if he wanted to chase the money

I think the teams listed in the poll (or any team with a coach who's potentially on the bubble) would do it.
I agree that if he hit the market, he'd be getting offers starting in the 8 figure range.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
Risk101
General Manager
And1: 19,145

Post#28 » by Risk101 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:49 pm

DarkHawk wrote:I could see McHale only if Houston missed the playoffs. MAYBE if they got beat in round one handily.

I think Monty has a free pass this year but if they don't show drastic improvement, he'll be on the hot seat next season.

Brooks, only if they get bounced in round 1 or beat down in round 2. He probably should be in the most trouble but there's not much you can do if the GM doesn't do much to change the team up.

Shaw dealt with injuries last year. I could see Denver having a .500 season and I don't think he'll be in trouble (potentially) until next season.

No way Monty Williams gets a free pass. This is it for the guy in terms of taking this team over the hump. He's been with the team for 4 years with 128 win to 184 loss record. He's only taken the team once to the playoffs, his first year there, and has been a below average coach since. If he doesn't improve drastically this season then he should be axed. He's had more opportunities then most coaches. That team is to talented to be a sub .500 team.
fast-break
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,858

Post#29 » by fast-break » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:50 pm

It's pretty much Finals or bust for Brooks I think.

Though Kevin seems pretty fond of the guy, even implied he should be COY.
Zion Wembanyama
RealGM
And1: 3,304

Post#30 » by Zion Wembanyama » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:24 pm

I went with MW. I really like the guy as a human being but I'm not sure if he's what the Pelicans need "right now". I truly hope he's has a Tom Coughlin or Rick Carlisle to a lesser degree. I've got another NFL coach on my mind as a better example, but cannot think of his name. Anyways, I just hope he can turn this franchise into a serious contender out west.
NBA - Pelicans,Hornets
NFL - Panthers
MLB - Braves
NHL - Ducks, Hurricanes
NCAAB - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
NCAAF - Tarheels, Wolverines, CHA 49ers
Soccer - PSG, CLT FC, USMNT, FRA, SCO
Golf - Tiger Woods
Tennis - Rafael Nadal
NASCAR - Joey Lagano
abark
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,416

Post#31 » by abark » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:46 pm

BruceO wrote:

this is true. He has just been joining championship calibre teams every year ring chasing. He's like the super ray allen and Robert Horry of coaches

He's a ring chaser that's too lazy to even bother changing cities.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,746

Post#32 » by Chuck Everett » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:33 pm

Jacque Vaughn is on the hot seat because his team is full of projects and average players? How can anyone tell if he can coach or not, with that roster? It's a horrific roster Hennigan has put together.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
jokeboy86
General Manager
And1: 5,148

Post#33 » by jokeboy86 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:51 pm

I'm going to have to agree with whoever said Steve Kerr. Yeah ownership likes him more than Jackson but he's probably still under a lot of pressure from the players, fans, and media because Jackson did have the Warriors trending up and they did take the Clippers to 7 without Bogut unless you think Jackson did nothing at all and the talent is just that good. Kerr like Jackson has no coaching experience so from an outside standpoint it still seems odd(just like the Kidd and Fisher hirings). They have to be at least a 5th seed and in the 2nd round.
Destructor
Banned User
And1: 572

Post#34 » by Destructor » Wed Oct 1, 2014 12:10 am

Kings2013 wrote:I don't know how Vaughn is coaching now

I remember the Magic were pretty competitive either the beginning of the most recent season or the one before that and I thought Vaughn was doing a great job. Haven't followed them since.
I really think he's been purposefully tanking. Remember when he pulled Nicholson?
Cycklops
Sixth Man
And1: 2,080

Post#35 » by Cycklops » Wed Oct 1, 2014 12:23 am

jokeboy86 wrote:I'm going to have to agree with whoever said Steve Kerr. Yeah ownership likes him more than Jackson but he's probably still under a lot of pressure from the players, fans, and media because Jackson did have the Warriors trending up and they did take the Clippers to 7 without Bogut unless you think Jackson did nothing at all and the talent is just that good. Kerr like Jackson has no coaching experience so from an outside standpoint it still seems odd(just like the Kidd and Fisher hirings). They have to be at least a 5th seed and in the 2nd round.

I don't understand why Kerr suddenly became a hot property as a coach in the first place. He'd never coached before and Jackson wanted to hire him just because he knew the triangle offense and would do whatever Phil wanted. I strongly suspect Golden State just wanted him because they saw his name attached to another job.
R U Legit
Senior
And1: 622

Post#36 » by R U Legit » Wed Oct 1, 2014 12:48 am

I like Monty as a person, his players like him, Anthony Davis seems to love him, and he's been screwed over by injuries but I'm ready to make the playoffs.

I guess I'm conflicted. :/
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#37 » by skywalker33 » Wed Oct 1, 2014 12:59 am

Pretty moronic to even put Shaw in that list, only in his 2nd year and had a TON of injuries to deal with :banghead:
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
M4P
Analyst
And1: 1,640

Post#38 » by M4P » Wed Oct 1, 2014 1:19 am

Imon wrote:Can a Rox fan fill me into why McHale is disliked as a coach?
It's not like the 3's and rim offense was his idea - some stathead probably insisted they run their offense that way.

He has no backbone and caves towards his stars. Last season he constantly scapegoated role players because of the liabilities of his stars (Harden). McHale also (self-admittedly) has no offensive or defensive structure; last season was a free-for-all, iso-based, run-and-gun team which got the Rockets nowhere against elite teams.
HoopsMalone wrote:Shaq would still have value... But to think he'd be anywhere near as dominant as he was in the post era is just ridiculous

jahlil okafor has some of the best post moves in the last 30 years and the dude can't even get on the floor

Return to The General Board