2014-15 Sophomore Breakout Players

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,344

Re: 2014-15 Sophomore Breakout Players 

Post#81 » by SOUL » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:44 pm

He was also playing a new position, way slower pace and less minutes. I don't think that's a great way to measure how people will play in the future.

It's just yet to be seen how MCW will play in a structured offense with less freedom and being able to be more efficient. I think people can see Oladipo adapting to that more than MCW at the moment even if both weren't terribly efficient their first years.

Although I think MCW is getting crapped on by a lot of people unfairly since he was still pretty damn good a lot of games.
GallagherArt
Pro Prospect
And1: 838

Post#82 » by GallagherArt » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:21 pm

SOUL wrote:He was also playing a new position, way slower pace and less minutes. I don't think that's a great way to measure how people will play in the future.

It's just yet to be seen how MCW will play in a structured offense with less freedom and being able to be more efficient. I think people can see Oladipo adapting to that more than MCW at the moment even if both weren't terribly efficient their first years.

Although I think MCW is getting crapped on by a lot of people unfairly since he was still pretty damn good a lot of games.

Suppose that can be an understandable perspective, Oladipo playing in a more standard offensive system and adjusting accordingly, although not to say I agree with it. Regarding pace and flux in minutes (mind you Oladipo did play more total minutes), doesn't affect the efficiency stats which I included specifically.
TRUST THE PROCESS
Hans Embiid
Banned User
And1: 1,217

Post#83 » by Hans Embiid » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:27 pm

Oladipo.

This guy will surprise a lot of people. Beast.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#84 » by SOUL » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:29 pm

GallagherArt wrote:
SOUL wrote:He was also playing a new position, way slower pace and less minutes. I don't think that's a great way to measure how people will play in the future.

Suppose that can be an understandable perspective, Oladipo playing in a more standard offensive system and adjusting accordingly, although not to say I agree with it. Regarding pace and flux in minutes (mind you Oladipo did play more total minutes), doesn't affect the efficiency stats which I included specifically.

I'm speaking strictly of how/why people are viewing them differently. The biggest thing with Oladipo is playing a new position period. And the fact that most PG's struggle the first year with efficiency, even the super good percentage shooters like Parker and Rondo - the real jump is in the second and third year.

The fact that MCW has never been a great shooter (in college) and that it continued is what people are showing concern about. Again, the uncertainty of the Sixers team in general and the question marks that he still has (Oladipo still has question marks too, so does every 1st/2nd/third year player) is why he isn't looked at as having as much of a ceiling as the other rooks so far. Being out 7-8 months, not seen as being as much of a defender as Oladipo are other reasons why people aren't as high as him in his Sophmore season. He can still prove them wrong of course.

Sixers offense is a gift and a curse for MCW. Can and will get his numbers, but at what cost and will fans wait for the timetable that the Sixers aim to be really competitive by? May not be completely fair to MCW since he has to sort of try to reign in a lot of people that don't belong on the roster until Embiid and Saric and next years pick come into play. At least Noel will help a bit. MCW certainly has a lot of pluses, I watched a good amount of Sixers games last year and he definitely does a lot of things well but some concerning areas that can't be answered until he's back from injury.
GallagherArt
Pro Prospect

Post#85 » by GallagherArt » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:47 pm

Well put and I appreciate the response, although why would the fact that most PG's struggling in their first years with efficiency not apply to MCW as well in most opinions?

I also understand Oladipo may have been playing a new position on the depth chart, well about half the time, still played considerable minutes at SG, his usage percentage was only slightly higher than it was in college. It's not as if he wasn't ball dominant in college or that he was asked solely to run the offense and to be a distributor for the Magic. That being said, his assist to turnover percentages is excusable to an extent, however, this seems to be being used as a crutch for his lack of all around efficiency.

MCW was drafted as a raw rookie, however he performed considerably well or better than most would have expected him to at least, and now that he has there seems to have been these unrealistic expectations of him out of nowhere. The perception of him doesn't bother me as much as the bullsh rational as of why.
TRUST THE PROCESS
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#86 » by SOUL » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:12 pm

It definitely applies to MCW as well as Oladipo - but like I mentioned, it's not far off his shooting percentages at Syracuse. The NBA is a different level so everybody's college stats are wiped clean, but it's a bit of a concern.

Oladipo steadily improved his FG% in college which is why most Magic fans aren't really concerned with that side as his efficiency over the course of the season went up as he learned to drive and shoot with more confidence rather than hitting the rookie wall.

He's also thrusted himself into a leadership role this year, which is something not a lot of Sophmores are expected to do/want to do, so it's good to see that from a young player, again, which is why people would feel more hyped about him. Now he has to start to push the team towards the next step.

Re: MCW

It is a little backwards though. Most people didn't expect MCW to be ROY winner his rookie year before his crazy first week/month. Got a lot of praise during the season, now he's starting to feel a bit of backlash - a lot undeserved, some deserved.

I'm afraid it'll take longer for MCW to prove people right OR wrong until there is a functioning roster around him. Hopefully he stays with the Sixers for the longrun and the rumors are just rumors.

People are strange with numbers. They'll praise you until you don't win anything. Just like Love .. people thought he was a beast putting up numbers, then thought he was just a good player on a bad team. Sometimes the numbers actually translate and are beastly players (like Love) and other times you have a Mike James situation where you score 20 ppg because you're the guy taking all of the shots on a bad Raptors team.

(None of these examples express how I feel with MCW, just how people look at numbers of people on bad teams until it matters).
Dcebucks11
Banned User
And1: 850

Post#87 » by Dcebucks11 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:24 pm

ive been impressed with steven adams. Hes my guy
Cruel_Ruin
Head Coach
And1: 767
Location: The intersection of intellect, imagination and insanity

Post#88 » by Cruel_Ruin » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:28 pm

Can any Magic fans inform how long Oladipo is supposed to be out? It looks like he hasn't played a game this whole preseason. Is he sitting out of practices too?
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#89 » by SOUL » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:32 pm

Cruel_Ruin wrote:Can any Magic fans inform how long Oladipo is supposed to be out? It looks like he hasn't played a game this whole preseason. Is he sitting out of practices too?

He's been traveling doing sprints pre-game and shooting, de-activated close to game time a few times. Most think he'll be back by the first game of the regular season. Might miss a few games at the most unless it's worse than they're letting on, but he seems to be participating in a lot of things.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#90 » by dlts20 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:38 pm

Porter with another strong game. He was 1st team in the summer league, has been great in the preseason, and last night he got his 1st start with Pierce out. In 35min he shot 7-13 for 19pts, 8reb, 4ast, 4stl, and 1blk
GallagherArt
Pro Prospect

Post#91 » by GallagherArt » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:47 pm

SOUL wrote:He's also thrusted himself into a leadership role this year, which is something not a lot of Sophmores are expected to do/want to do, so it's good to see that from a young player, again, which is why people would feel more hyped about him. Now he has to start to push the team towards the next step.

This also pertains to MCW too, however, some would argue he was thrust into that role as early as last season arguably being the team's best player and floor general. This season it's for certain though.

http://thesixersense.com/2014/09/30/mic ... ship-role/

“I just have to keep growing as a leader,” MCW said. “I have to grow up fast on the court. Each and every night I have to will our team to win.”

“Whatever team I have been on, I have always been a leader,” he said. “My second year at Syracuse I was the leader on that team, and my high school team, and now I get a chance to be a leader on this team, and I am excited for it.”

[tweet]https://twitter.com/tmoore76ers/status/516618909915832321[/tweet]
TRUST THE PROCESS
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#92 » by nicnac215 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:04 am

GallagherArt wrote:
nicnac215 wrote:Victor Oladipo is going to go off on the nba this year. Expect better numbers and a lot of highlights

Everybody seems to want Oladipo to ascend to stardom, yet are skeptical of MCW.

HotelVitale wrote:And while 17/6/6 looks good at first glance, he posted 1.3 win shares despite playing huge minutes, and his o-rating was 96.

Oladipo played more minutes in more games than MCW did, his team had a higher winning percentage thusly more wins to divvy Win Shares up amongst the Magic players and yet Dipo still had the 1.3 Win Share, he also had an Ortg of 94, a lower PER, and a lower cumulative RAPM...

Durant's rookie year he played out of position at sg and had an awful year based off efficiency. Once he moved back to sf his efficiency numbers jumped big time. I expect the same with Oladipo
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,974

Post#93 » by PerkinsFor3 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:12 am

Nate Wolters. Should be starting PG for the Bucks in their 1st game, but it wiull probably take till the AS Break.

Best fit, smart, plays within his limitations, capable defender, takes care of the rock. Marshall is a turnpile on D, Knight is a bench scorer, Mayo is a whatever. The Bucks need Wolters in order to get the max from their other young talents.
southern wolf
General Manager
And1: 2,163

Post#94 » by southern wolf » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:33 am

Bennett and Dieng definitely. Bennett has lost a ton of weight and has Kareem-like goggles which should improve his shooting.
breaking bad
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#95 » by breaking bad » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:24 am

Rudy Gobert. I like Favors and Kanter, but this guy just has it all to be a game-changer. I think he's gonna be one of the most dominant big men in the league in a few years, at least on the defensive end.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#96 » by Higga » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:50 pm

Otto Porter. He won't be a star or anything but I do think he'll be a solid contributor on what should be a top 4 team(at least) in the East.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#97 » by dlts20 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:51 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p-wJAoYmTY[/youtube]
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#98 » by Dark Faze » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:06 pm

Higga wrote:Otto Porter. He won't be a star or anything but I do think he'll be a solid contributor on what should be a top 4 team(at least) in the East.

Define star. I think he's coming into the league with more tools than Beal had.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,037

Post#99 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:19 pm

southern wolf wrote:Bennett and Dieng definitely. Bennett has lost a ton of weight and has Kareem-like goggles which should improve his shooting.

I love Bennett's offensive potential. People forget how explosive and big he is as well as the range on his jumper. Which makes him a perfect fit with a rim protector like Dieng, should he also continue to develop. I can't wait to get back to 2K and put the wolves on for a few years. Trade Pek for picks. Maybe take a shot on EJ.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,363

Post#100 » by jowglenn » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:27 pm

I hope for their sake that Porter & Bennett both have big breakout seasons. These were two guys picked in the top 3 who basically did NOTHING last year. Both are looking much improved in the early going during SL & preseason. Bennett has less pressure, really, as he's on a worse team and with a ton of other young dudes, but Porter is being thrown into the fire - with Ariza gone, and Pierce being so old, I think Otto Porter steps it up and becomes an important part of that rotation. He'll get recognition because it'll be as part of a good team effort.

Return to The General Board