Amare brings up a good point on jersey ads

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

the_antz_nest
Senior
And1: 174

Re: Amare brings up a good point on jersey ads 

Post#21 » by the_antz_nest » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:50 pm

The-Power wrote:
tidho wrote:Jersey adds don't seem all that ideal anyway. There isn't a ton of space and guys are moving to fast. They should just CGI adds onto the court or run banner adds during broadcasts. Looking forward to the AT&T logo basketball soon too.

Manchester United gets 80m$ per year from Chevrolet just for jersey ads. Seems to be quite lucrative if you ask me.

http://www.therichest.com/sports/soccer-sports/top-10-highest-selling-club-soccer-jerseys/9/

United’s average yearly official jersey sales of 1.4 million is not hard to believe considering the club’s success and worldwide appeal. Robin van Persie, Wayne Rooney and Shinji Kagawa are players who have the best selling jerseys.

for a company like Chevrolet (primarily american) to get that much exposure in europe and asia, 80mil is probably not that high a price
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#22 » by The-Power » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:16 pm

the_antz_nest wrote:
The-Power wrote:
tidho wrote:Jersey adds don't seem all that ideal anyway. There isn't a ton of space and guys are moving to fast. They should just CGI adds onto the court or run banner adds during broadcasts. Looking forward to the AT&T logo basketball soon too.

Manchester United gets 80m$ per year from Chevrolet just for jersey ads. Seems to be quite lucrative if you ask me.

http://www.therichest.com/sports/soccer-sports/top-10-highest-selling-club-soccer-jerseys/9/

United’s average yearly official jersey sales of 1.4 million is not hard to believe considering the club’s success and worldwide appeal. Robin van Persie, Wayne Rooney and Shinji Kagawa are players who have the best selling jerseys.

for a company like Chevrolet (primarily american) to get that much exposure in europe and asia, 80mil is probably not that high a price

I'm not necessarily saying they are overpaying or that those expenses affect Chevrolet's financial result in any meaningful way. I'm just arguing that the revenues could/would be relevant for the franchises in contrast to what the post I replied to suggests, namely declaring jersey ads as not ideal anyway. In soccer, jersey ads are absolutely relevant and in order to express it I adduced ManU as an instance.

If the owners are out to increase their revenues, jersey ads are just the next logical step. As for me, jerseys could be used as places for ads from top to bottom if that means less stupid timeouts for the sake of television commercials. Unfortunately they want to maximize their money and not balancing opportunity costs, so they'll stick with it and simply add jersey ads soon - but I'll still prefer to complain about too many commercial breaks rather than being upset about the different look of the jerseys.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#23 » by Prokorov » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:34 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
mademan wrote:He points out that a lot of players have exclusive deals with companies in the NBA. Is Nike gonna be okay with Lebron wearing a jersey sponsoring Addidas?

“Some guys got deals that are outside the NBA,” he said. “You have an exclusive deal, which means you have to stay exclusive to that particular company.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... -1.1972958

thats the players problem not the NBA's. if players want to endorse products beyond official NBA sponsors thats their own issue to deal with.

No, it is actually the owners problem. They are going to have to get the players to agree to it in the next CBA, and the players are not going to give up the right to self-sponsorship cheaply (if at all).

The ability to make ones own way is a fundamental American philosophy. Maybe people from somewhere like Russia don't have that same value and would rather collectivize that sort of economic process, but not so much here. (this comment is supposed to be taken lightly :lol: )

the owners or the league dont have to bargain for ads on jerseys. its outside the realm of the CBA
Mujahydeen
Senior
And1: 852

Post#24 » by Mujahydeen » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:08 pm

The-Power wrote:

Yeah, but they have Chevrolet ad covering the chest as the dominant feature of the jersey, watching a hipothetical random game, not knowing the sport at all, the first thing you would see would be Opel playing Air Emirates or whatever, the exposure is massive. NBA ad patches will be what, 2x2 inches or 2.5x2.5? They will not be that much eye-catching in TV and barely visible on internet highlight videos and thing like this. Nobody will get that type of money as Manchester.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Post#25 » by FJS » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:31 pm

Well Messi is and adidas guy and his team is nike... ronaldo is a nike guy and his team is adidas... no problem in soccer with that.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,085

Post#26 » by og15 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:39 pm

FJS wrote:Well Messi is and adidas guy and his team is nike... ronaldo is a nike guy and his team is adidas... no problem in soccer with that.

I don't see why it would be a problem. Those companies aren't going to stop signing players to endorsement contracts because of that, and the players would get a share of the increased revenue which equals higher salary cap and higher player salaries. Actually looks like a win/win for the players here.
breatnach
Starter
And1: 826

Post#27 » by breatnach » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:38 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Soccer stars has exclusive deals as well, did that sopped them from wearing their kits?

Not the actual kits, but there regular discussions on players wearing their signature shoes if they are from a different brand than the team's sponsors.

There was also an incident not too long ago where Mario Götze (scored the goal in the world cup final) wore a Nike shirt (private sponsor) to an official press conference of his team who are partly owned by rivals Adidas and it created quite a turbulence.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... happy.html
trustykilo
Junior
And1: 263

Post#28 » by trustykilo » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:08 pm

Obviously NBA sponsors override any personal player deals. Same reason why Lebron drinks from a gatorade cup during games (all players have to) even though he's sponsored by Powerade.
Dmanning2
Senior
And1: 538

Post#29 » by Dmanning2 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:39 am

LeBron peels the Gatorade sticker off the bottle when he drinks it during NBA games(He's with powerade) I think ads on jerseys would be a big problem for big time superstars like LeBron Melo Durant ect ect
ohio wrote:mudiay is a better player... so is Okafor... what the hell was LA thinking
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#30 » by MikeM » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:48 am

If jersey ads reduce commercial timeouts then I'm all for it.

I value hours of my life over jerseys.
Rasheeed!!!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,507

Post#31 » by Rasheeed!!! » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:15 am

The-Power wrote:

Probably some of the worst jerseys I have seen. That logo does not blend well…..much preferred their previous kits.
Charlie Sollers
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,829

Post#32 » by Charlie Sollers » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:23 am

boomershadow wrote:I just don't like the aesthetics of jersey ads, and I also don't think they're necessary when there are ads everywhere else you look.

I understand why the WNBA has to have jersey ads to make ends meet. The NBA does not.

Neither do teams like Manchester United, Barcelona or Real Madrid but that's not stopping them.
Kevin Johnson
Analyst
And1: 7,835

Post#33 » by Kevin Johnson » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:39 am

Amare is free to get some tattoos for his sponsor.

Unfortunately, JR Smith is out of real estate.
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#34 » by PKABOOICU » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:01 am

lebron would wear a patch over the big gatorade sign in front of his cavs jersey
kobe would cover up American Airlines
kyrie and love would hide the big pepsi logo
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#35 » by PKABOOICU » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:02 am

now can you imagine michael jordan sponsoring the nba with big @$$ AIR JORDAN logos on all the jerseys?

Return to The General Board