FIBA Play and Contract Negotiation Leverage

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

FIBA Play and Contract Negotiation Leverage 

Post#1 » by yosemiteben » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:32 pm

Curious to hear the board's thoughts on the extent that positive FIBA play provides / provided actual negotiation leverage for folks like Faried or Thompson who are coming up on contract extensions.

I'm inclined to think it provides very little leverage, but curious to see if I'm in the majority or the minority.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: FIBA Play and Contract Negotiation Leverage 

Post#2 » by Prokorov » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:50 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Curious to hear the board's thoughts on the extent that positive FIBA play provides / provided actual negotiation leverage for folks like Faried or Thompson who are coming up on contract extensions.

I'm inclined to think it provides very little leverage, but curious to see if I'm in the majority or the minority.

well it couldnt have hurt faried , he got paid

i think klay would get a huge, maybe max deal either way
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,321

Post#3 » by Scalabrine » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:15 pm

I think the fact that they get selected to team USA and get playing time only helps. It assures mgmt that what they see, others see in a particular athlete. Other than that, I don't think how they play in the games really has much effect.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
Go Knicks!
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,603

Post#4 » by nomansland » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:22 pm

NBA organizations are smart enough to know that amazing FIBA play doesn't necessarily mean it'll translate to the NBA.

Maybe the Nuggets tried to get Faried into a deal now in part because of his play this summer, but if he'd waited I bet he could have signed a bigger deal with another team regardless.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#5 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:27 pm

Guess it depends what you mean by contract negotiation leverage. if you mean some sort of threat to play FIBA ball instead of the NBA = none. If you mean playing well at the FIBA Worlds...I definitely think that helped Faried. Helped, let's say, Denver's front office to justify the contract to themselves. Not sure it has helped Klay much, but then again his play was less of a surprise.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#6 » by yosemiteben » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:42 pm

Fair points. I think by helped I mean a player is able to extract a greater bottom line dollar amount in his contract than he would have been able to absent that player's performance in FIBA play.
oldfriendbear
Freshman
And1: 10

Post#7 » by oldfriendbear » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:22 pm

It can't hurt. If the guy is in a domestic league instead of the nba, he's playing for thousands instead of millions. One decent game like carlos arroyo in 2004 and that's global exposure and interest from better leagues around the world. Even if the domestic league wants to keep you, you have more negotiating power due to the one game.

I dunno Andre blatch's salary in china(I think) but it couldn't have hurt that he played in fiba(for an Asia team too) so more name recognition = more salary.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,121

Post#8 » by jbk1234 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:24 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Curious to hear the board's thoughts on the extent that positive FIBA play provides / provided actual negotiation leverage for folks like Faried or Thompson who are coming up on contract extensions.

Zero leverage. I expect it to go in the other direction. The NBA owners get none of the money and assumes all of the risk of injury. I wouldn't be shocked if we went back to to college only players on the squad.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.

Return to The General Board