What does Klay Thompson do that Terrence Ross cant?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

PerFex
Junior
And1: 347

Re: What does Klay Thompson do that Terrence Ross cant? 

Post#101 » by PerFex » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:48 am

ocelot17 wrote:Thompson can't create his own shot

Side beard
Analyst
And1: 2,298

Post#102 » by Side beard » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:17 am

LLJ wrote:Klay can create his own shot. GS fans just complain about him but you would see the difference when Ross tries to create.

TRoss scored 51? On 10 made 3s. No way all those 3s were open shots.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,593

Post#103 » by sixerswillrule » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:40 am

Thompson actually created his own shot (unassisted) on just 22% of his field goals last season.
Ross was at 30%.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#104 » by turk3d » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:23 pm

Yesterday against the Nuggets: 17 minutes (only played in 1st half), 18 pts, 6-10 fg, 3-4 3s, 4 reb, 5 ast, 2 blks against the Nuggets starters My oh my, Klay can't be in the process of developing a complete game now, can he?
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
robi
Sophomore
And1: 218

Post#105 » by robi » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:28 pm

berkkobe7 wrote:I remember Ross scored 49 against LAC lol.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Raps-Jets-Leafs
CnG
Rookie
And1: 2,554

Post#106 » by CnG » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:32 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:Thompson actually created his own shot (unassisted) on just 22% of his field goals last season.
Ross was at 30%.

You say "just" as if it's a bad thing.

Should Klay can that number up to 35% and make his game more inefficient?
Read on Twitter
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#107 » by sixerswillrule » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:39 pm

CnG wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:Thompson actually created his own shot (unassisted) on just 22% of his field goals last season.
Ross was at 30%.

No, I said it because this is a Klay vs. Ross comparison thread. Comparing numbers is usually part of what's involved, no? Also it's been said in this thread that Klay creates more than Ross. Volume wise, sure, as Klay has higher minutes/volume. Proportionally, though, no.
CnG
Rookie
And1: 2,554

Post#108 » by CnG » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:03 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
CnG wrote:
Ross was at 30%.

No, I said it because this is a Klay vs. Ross comparison thread. Comparing numbers is usually part of what's involved, no? Also it's been said in this thread that Klay creates more than Ross. Volume wise, sure, as Klay has higher minutes/volume. Proportionally, though, no.

I just think those stats could be potentially shallow as they do not show the efficiency of the non-assisted buckets or non-assisted buckets per 36 mins.

I don't watch Ross regularly, only 4 or 5 times a year in the reg season so can't really comment on his ability to create.

Read on Twitter
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#109 » by sixerswillrule » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:14 pm

CnG wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:
CnG wrote:

I just think those stats could be potentially shallow as they do not show the efficiency of the non-assisted buckets or non-assisted buckets per 36 mins.

I don't watch Ross regularly, only 4 or 5 times a year in the reg season so can't really comment on his ability to create.

Well, their FG% on drives (which would all be unassisted) are close to identical (both at 46%):
http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingDriv ... tOrder=DES

Their FG% on total 2 pointers are also close to identical (and also at 46%).
I'd bet that their efficiency on total unassisted attempts would also be about the same.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,093

Post#110 » by The-Power » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:22 pm

Ross was at 30%.

Creating a shot is a process you can't simply break down into a reference of unassisted field goals. The percentage of assisted/unassisted field goals is more of a result of the system on offense than a result of the ability to create his own shot. E.g. if Klay moves in order to get open, shakes his defender off, then receives the pass from the Center in the high post and makes the field goal with his quick release, he created the shot, yet it was assisted.
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#111 » by sixerswillrule » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:28 pm

The-Power wrote:
Ross was at 30%.

Creating a shot is a process you can't simply break down into a reference of unassisted field goals. The percentage of assisted/unassisted field goals is more of a result of the system on offense than a result of the ability to create his own shot. E.g. if Klay moves in order to get open, shakes his defender off, then receives the pass from the Center in the high post and makes the field goal with his quick release, he created the shot, yet it was assisted.

All true. But when people in this thread were talking about Klay's advantage over Ross in terms of creating his own shot, I'm pretty sure they were talking about what he can do with the ball in his hands (posting up, off the dribble, etc.). So unassisted field goals directly relates to that.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,093

Post#112 » by The-Power » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:47 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
The-Power wrote:
Ross was at 30%.

All true. But when people in this thread were talking about Klay's advantage over Ross in terms of creating his own shot, I'm pretty sure they were talking about what he can do with the ball in his hands. So unassisted field goals directly relates to that.

I see your points but I don't agree with both. I was already talking about creating the shot and how this can't be proven with the percentage of unassisted/assisted field goals. Now, this percentage doesn't show what a player can do with the ball in his hands either. As for Klay, his role on offense wasn't to create his own shot but mainly receiving passes from the point guard/ballhandler and then shoot the ball. Klay, as well as most of the other players, was first and foremost a product of the system. It barely represents his skills adequately. Of course you can argue that if Klay could do it better, the system would've taken that into account - well, I'm not sure this is true for a offensive system created by Mark Jackson.

And to clarify: I actually don't want to refer to Klay in particular. I'm trying to argue in general in terms of the data mentioned and how it doesn't necessarily show the full story.
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#113 » by sixerswillrule » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:59 pm

The-Power wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:
The-Power wrote:Creating a shot is a process you can't simply break down into a reference of unassisted field goals. The percentage of assisted/unassisted field goals is more of a result of the system on offense than a result of the ability to create his own shot. E.g. if Klay moves in order to get open, shakes his defender off, then receives the pass from the Center in the high post and makes the field goal with his quick release, he created the shot, yet it was assisted.

All true. But when people in this thread were talking about Klay's advantage over Ross in terms of creating his own shot, I'm pretty sure they were talking about what he can do with the ball in his hands. So unassisted field goals directly relates to that.

I see your points but I don't agree with both. I was already talking about creating the shot and how this can't be proven with the percentage of unassisted/assisted field goals. Now, this percentage doesn't show what a player can do with the ball in his hands either. As for Klay, his role on offense wasn't to create his own shot but mainly receiving passes from the point guard/ballhandler and then shoot the ball. Klay, as well as most of the other players, was first and foremost a product of the system. It barely represents his skills adequately. Of course you can argue that if Klay could do it better, the system would've taken that into account - well, I'm not sure this is true for a offensive system created by Mark Jackson.

And to clarify: I actually don't want to refer to Klay in particular. I'm trying to argue in general in terms of the data mentioned and how it doesn't necessarily show the full story.

Stats never show the full story. You just have to put it into context. Yeah, you could argue that Klay could be capable of more on-ball responsibility. Whether or not it would be for the benefit of the team is also another argument. I'm simply stating what occurred last season: A small portion of Klay's shots were created by him with the ball in his hands. Ross's was also a small portion, but slightly higher than Klay, relatively speaking.
Boomerfan
Banned User
And1: 430

Post#114 » by Boomerfan » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:20 pm

LOL Terrence Ross is not worthy of cleaning Klay's boots at the moment :lol:

Ross averages 8.7 ppg on his career. Klay almost 17ppg
Klay Thompson made as many 3 pointers in 2014 alone as Terrence Ross has made in his entire career :lol:
Klay is probably the best 2 way player in the NBA right now.

It is seriously not even close.
DynastySS
General Manager
And1: 1,936

Post#115 » by DynastySS » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:25 pm

Rob Diaz wrote:lol 14 PER
lol 12 PER in the playoffs
lol disappears in big games
lol looks like an uglier Cory Matthews
lol benefiting greatly through the media by acquiring a "cool nickname" because he plays with Steph Curry

lol at PER.
omnificent wrote:The fact you doubt that Barnes is a better player than Green discredits anything you have to say about this team. You're either blind or don't watch Warriors games. Even the most delusional Green groupie wouldn't doubt that Barnes is the better player
DynastySS
General Manager

Post#116 » by DynastySS » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:28 pm

ocelot17 wrote:Thompson can't create his own shot, yet he wants to get paid like a superstar. :noway:

I am going to go out on a limb and assume you are not often complimented on your basketball "analysis".
omnificent wrote:The fact you doubt that Barnes is a better player than Green discredits anything you have to say about this team. You're either blind or don't watch Warriors games. Even the most delusional Green groupie wouldn't doubt that Barnes is the better player
East Bay Sports
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,559

Post#117 » by East Bay Sports » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:36 pm

Rob Diaz wrote:lol 14 PER
lol 12 PER in the playoffs
lol disappears in big games
lol looks like an uglier Cory Matthews
lol benefiting greatly through the media by acquiring a "cool nickname" because he plays with Steph Curry

Come on, if anything he is a better looking Cory Matthews.
PurpleTrees
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,045

Post#118 » by PurpleTrees » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:04 pm

Boomerfan wrote:LOL Terrence Ross is not worthy of cleaning Klay's boots at the moment :lol:

Klay Thompson made as many 3 pointers in 2014 alone as Terrence Ross has made in his entire career :lol:

Are you serious with this? You cant use raw volume statistics to compare a guy that came off the bench for half a season to a guy that Started and was the 2nd option.
DynastySS
General Manager

Post#119 » by DynastySS » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:12 pm

PurpleTrees wrote:
Boomerfan wrote:LOL Terrence Ross is not worthy of cleaning Klay's boots at the moment :lol:

Are you serious with this? You cant use raw volume statistics to compare a guy that came off the bench for half a season to a guy that Started and was the 2nd option.

Why doesn't Ross play more?
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#120 » by Lionlifer » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:17 pm

I find all the mentions of the 51 point game hilarious, seems some aren't familiar with the concept of an outlier.

That's the not norm, stop referencing it like T Ross can go off for 51 at any point......
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!

Return to The General Board