Better Defender - Lebron or Jordan.

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Best overall defensive player?

Lebron James
27%
Michael Jordan
73%

Total votes: 101

Al Swearengen
Starter
And1: 729

Re: Better Defender - Lebron or Jordan. 

Post#21 » by Al Swearengen » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:17 am

Has like no one actually watched Lebron play defense for the past year and a half? He hasn't exactly been stellar.

Lebron had like a 2 year stretch where he played some of the best defense in the NBA, sandwiched between years of playing defense that ranged from good to below average.

Jordan was the best perimeter defender in the world for most of his career. I mean, put it this way: would you make a thread asking if Lebron is a better defender than Scottie Pippen? Well, Jordan was just as good, if not better when considering the energy he spent on his offensive responsibilities.
KyletheDingbat
Veteran
And1: 1,654

Post#22 » by KyletheDingbat » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:21 am

What I remember most about Jordan's defense were the moments he really locked in. When he was like that, there was no defender like him. Much more impressive than his offense, because you're not supposed to dictate the game with defense. I haven't seen that from Lebron, but I have seen incredible help defense. People say Lebron's not clutch, but he's come through huge defensively down the stretch quite a few times.

One thing people overstate about Jordan was his coasting. In his early to prime years he rarely coasted. Even in the second three peat years I believe it was only that brutal 98 year that he really started to relax on D. Even still, he could tap into that leopard mode when needed.

I'd say Jordan was a more talented and cruel defender. Lebron's a more versatile one. Lebron could have guarded Magic in the post, which Jordan couldn't.
andyo
Assistant Coach
And1: 447

Post#23 » by andyo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:26 am

Lebron might be better as a help defender in transition, or a few feet away from the rim when going for a contest. Jordan is a lot better at everything else. He deserved his defensive accolades.
Makaveli DaDon
Senior
And1: 514

Post#24 » by Makaveli DaDon » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:37 am

Lebron has problems guarding Boris diaw.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Chuck Newhouse
Banned User
And1: 980

Post#25 » by Chuck Newhouse » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:10 am

Rasheeed!!! wrote:
Chuck Newhouse wrote:I hope people under 30 shouldn't really participate in this conversation because unless you really watched both of them there is just not enough data to work with.

There is a lot to look at here including versatility and the way they defended at different stages of their careers.

I have to give it to Lebron he has always been the best defender on every team he has played for and especially during his last 2 seasons with the Cavs when he was robbed of DPOTY awards both years.

except in the first few years in the league when he sucked and wasn't the best defender

Oh you mean the 19 year old Lebron that was second in the league in steals and WAAAAAAAY better as a 19 year old than Jordan.
Chuck Newhouse
Banned User

Post#26 » by Chuck Newhouse » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:13 am

infinite11285 wrote:Don't make anymore threads.

Why would that be Captain ASS HOLE!
Flopper
Veteran
And1: 2,478

Post#27 » by Flopper » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:21 am

To be honest, I think you make your choice based on era. If it's 80-90s you take Jordan, since he was a tenacious individual defender who could pressure the ball, trap, and hand-check with the best of them. If it's modern era with strongside overload and hybrid zone schemes you take Lebron since he covers so much ground for help D and can switch nearly anything in pick and roll.
Chuck Newhouse
Banned User

Post#28 » by Chuck Newhouse » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:27 am

Michael Lucky wrote:Tbh I always thought they were both overrated on that end. Lebron probably a little more so with the whole he can guard all five position comments on top of his play last year defensively.

I agree with this but people love to romanticize the past and only remember the best parts.
boren
Junior
And1: 266

Post#29 » by boren » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:54 am

The bulk of participants in this forum are too young to answer this question.
MoneyMitch
Banned User
And1: 1,562

Post#30 » by MoneyMitch » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:58 am

HotRocks34 wrote:Would like to see MJ's Defensive xRAPM stats from 1984-1990, but I don't think they're around. Also, would need to get some kind of scale (I think Doctor MJ has one) to compare Defensive xRAPM's over different years.

In looking at the available MJ Defensive xRAPM's, his top number seems to be like +1.1 or so. LeBron's is +2.8. Still, that might not correlate because they are in different years and such.

Yeah what he said :lol:
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,232

Post#31 » by blind prophet » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:55 am

I'd take Jordan with pretty much all SG in the league to cover, and with some of the PG and SF.

I'd take Lebron in most situations however with the exception of SG.
CodyB_
Pro Prospect
And1: 389

Post#32 » by CodyB_ » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:40 am

Lebron is a VERY good defender. He is the only guy in the history of the NBA that you could rely on lock down the paint or your best perimeter or post player.

MJ was an excellent defender as well but he was also the secondary defender for most of his career to Scottie Pippen.

Lebron is a better and more versatile than Michael Jordan was.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEs7bZzprWU[/youtube]
Don't be a jerk.
wowski
Pro Prospect
And1: 592

Post#33 » by wowski » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:45 am

Chuck Newhouse wrote:
Rasheeed!!! wrote:
Chuck Newhouse wrote:I hope people under 30 shouldn't really participate in this conversation because unless you really watched both of them there is just not enough data to work with.

There is a lot to look at here including versatility and the way they defended at different stages of their careers.

I have to give it to Lebron he has always been the best defender on every team he has played for and especially during his last 2 seasons with the Cavs when he was robbed of DPOTY awards both years.

except in the first few years in the league when he sucked and wasn't the best defender

Oh you mean the 19 year old Lebron that was second in the league in steals and WAAAAAAAY better as a 19 year old than Jordan.

Really? Based on what?

^^
CodyB_
Pro Prospect
And1: 389

Post#34 » by CodyB_ » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:46 am

Al Swearengen wrote:
Jordan was the best perimeter defender in the world for most of his career.

No he wasn't. It was Scottie Pippen.

In fact, Jordan made the All Defensive team on reputation for the latter part of his career.
Don't be a jerk.
wowski
Pro Prospect
And1: 592

Post#35 » by wowski » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:03 am

CodyB_ wrote:
Al Swearengen wrote:
Jordan was the best perimeter defender in the world for most of his career.

No he wasn't. It was Scottie Pippen.

In fact, Jordan made the All Defensive team on reputation for the latter part of his career.

How so?

^^
Perkele
Senior
And1: 497

Post#36 » by Perkele » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:08 am

ballbrah wrote:I would love to see LeBron play defense while hand checking the opponent tbh. Huge asset to have and should be a factor

You have to add the 3-second-violation as well. Back then the defense was allowed to clog the lane. Nowadays you can bulldoze to the cup without having the fear of meeting one or two big guys camping in the lane just waiting for you.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,904

Post#37 » by Jakay » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:33 am

Scottie basically disrupted whole teams' scheme with his stellar help (which was in the days of illegal D calls too don't forget). Jordan was absolutely lock-down when he wanted to be though, which was usually the third period. The rest of the time he was just very good.

I don't know... LeBron's pretty silly too. And there's no illegal D, so the one on one battles aren't nearly as evident. Jordan could have defended in a zone fine I have no doubt, but I don't think it would have played to his strengths the way iso ball did. LeBron, on the other hand, would not likely get to showcase his versatility so much either, since it was much more matchup based on a consistent basis.

But I mean, this is only interesting in so far as comparing their respective abilities. The who's better line is like asking whether blueberries or cherries are better tasting,

Spoiler:
Because cherries and it's not even close. I can't even believe this is a thread. :lol:
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#38 » by Kabookalu » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:42 am

CodyB_ wrote:Lebron is a VERY good defender. He is the only guy in the history of the NBA that you could rely on lock down the paint or your best perimeter or post player.

Lebron is a better and more versatile than Michael Jordan was.

Read on Twitter
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Post#39 » by RSCD3_ » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:42 am

Beffiosa wrote:Its a good question actually. I think Lebron would have been more effective than Jordan if he would have defended all those small, slow 90s wing players while being able to hand check.

Jordan supporters never bring this up

I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Post#40 » by RSCD3_ » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:45 am

boren wrote:The bulk of participants in this forum are too young to answer this question.

16 year olds who never saw jordan play, posting highlight videos and :lol: 's

I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life

Return to The General Board