Charlotte Hornets to re-retire Bobby Phills' #13

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

jacoby1us
General Manager
And1: 1,611

Re: Charlotte Hornets to re-retire Bobby Phills' #13 

Post#21 » by jacoby1us » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:06 pm

It is the appropriate thing to do. Quite sure LJ and Bogues jersey will be retired within the next 2 years or so. Alonzo is another can of worms, he left on some pretty bad terms.
#TREADMILLCLUBFAN
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Charlotte Hornets to re-retire Bobby Phills' #13 

Post#22 » by StocktonShorts » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:33 pm

NYawKa11 wrote:http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24764717/charlotte-hornets-to-bring-bobby-phills-retired-jersey-back-home

I still don't understand why a player who died so recklessly, endangering the lives of others, deserves have a number retired following a very short stint with the team, but I digress.

I assume this means the Pelicans will bring #13 back into circulation?

I came here to post something similar. Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this is a bit odd.

Having said that, I can appreciate an organization retiring a jersey for sentimental reasons.
BuzzCity
Rookie
And1: 608

Post#23 » by BuzzCity » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:44 pm

Phills was my favorite player at the time...I still have the black wrist band my rec league team wore that season to honor him...this discussion isn't about retiring one of our most accomplished player's jerseys. Cuz ur right, LJ, Bouges and several others would easily make it up in the rafters before Phills. But he was a fan favorite that left a lot of hornets fans devistated with his passing
markdeez33
RealGM
And1: 2,192

Post#24 » by markdeez33 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:32 am

Phills was loved in the community, so I think this is a token of class by the Hornets. I respect them for doing it.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,527

Post#25 » by SOUL » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:56 am

I always wonder why people who aren't a fan of said team are the most vocal about somebody being retired or not retired. As long as the fanbase wants it to happen and it't not something dumb like Heat retiring Jordan's number or whatever, then it's no harm no foul.
bran muffin
Starter
And1: 3,441

Post#26 » by bran muffin » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:16 am

Bobby Phills played only 128 games for Charlotte, the equivalent of one and a half seasons. And... they're retiring his number? lol... Makes no sense whatsoever. Especially since Phills spent the vast majority of his career playing six seasons for Cleveland.

This whole thing reeks of a pathetic PR stunt. Franchises that have no meaningful legacy attempt to manufacture it by retiring numbers of their popular players. Even if those players didn't do anything on the basketball court to warrant such an honor. All the team wants is a few jerseys hanging on the rafters, to give fans the impression that the team has a rich history. This charade is really more for the Hornets' marketing department than it is for Bobby Phills. He's certainly not the first WTF jersey retirement we've seen in the NBA. And he won't be the last.

Return to The General Board