Matt Barnes has been impossibly bad in the preseason

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

DoubleLintendre
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,621

Re: Matt Barnes has been impossibly bad in the preseason 

Post#21 » by DoubleLintendre » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:42 pm

Luckily for the Clippers they have so much depth they can probably trade around for a quality SF if Barnes isn't good enough. Not many teams have the assets the Clippers do.

Plus, it's the pre-season so... bad/good player performance is not really reflective of regular season play.
laploutocratie
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,273

Post#22 » by laploutocratie » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:54 pm

Never ever pay journeymen on multi-year deals. Keep them motivated and working with single-year ones.
☘ x XVII

6ixth_Man wrote:When I die, I want the Raptors to lower me into my grave, so they can let me down one last time
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,145

Post#23 » by druggas » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:37 pm

There's nothing consistent in his game. He disappears for long stretches.
Boomerfan
Banned User
And1: 430

Post#24 » by Boomerfan » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:37 pm

NBAfan3024 wrote:
Boomerfan wrote:From what I have seen in the pre-season the Clippers are one of the only teams in the West that have actually regressed this year. I don't think they will be top 4.

It's pre season..

The results mean very little.

They still have

Paul
Griffin
Jordan
Depth
Doc

What depth do they have? At the end of the day they are a team that struggles to get out of the first round every year. They were taken to 7 games by the Warriors even though they didn't even have Bogut.

Who did they pick up? Spencer Hawes? meh. He ain't taking them to the finals from where they were and the fact Chris Douglas Roberts plays any meaningful time at all... says everything you need to know about the Clippers :lol: I can't believe that guy is even still in the league.
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#25 » by NBAfan3024 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:51 pm

Boomerfan wrote:
NBAfan3024 wrote:
Boomerfan wrote:From what I have seen in the pre-season the Clippers are one of the only teams in the West that have actually regressed this year. I don't think they will be top 4.

It's pre season..

They still have

Paul
Griffin
Jordan
Depth
Doc

What depth do they have? At the end of the day they are a team that struggles to get out of the first round every year. They were taken to 7 games by the Warriors even though they didn't even have Bogut.

Who did they pick up? Spencer Hawes? meh. He ain't taking them to the finals from where they were and the fact Chris Douglas Roberts plays any meaningful time at all... says everything you need to know about the Clippers :lol: I can't believe that guy is even still in the league.

They have been arguably had one of the best benches in the league. The league 6th man of the year.

Hawes should be a good addition a guy who can give you 12 and 8 on any given night.

Yes Warriors played one hell of a series and if Bogut played yeah GS could of won that series but at the same time going smaller helped them in that series.

Clippers could of lost in round one but could of so easily been in the conference finals too last year.

If Blake continues to develop that's all they need to get deeper. It all depends on him and Jordan development
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,795

Post#26 » by HotelVitale » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:09 pm

I watched a couple of the PS games, and he mostly looked like normal Matt Barnes. He missed his 3s and some slashing layups, and he seemed a little bit indifferent some of the games. But he was the same old guy in general.

The Clips as a whole played pretty loose in those games, running a lot and pushing the tempo, letting everyone handle the ball. It won't be like that in the regular season, and I think Barnes' game is better suited to structure than chaos.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#27 » by Slava » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:38 pm

Went through the same issue when we got swept in the playoffs by the Mavs. At that time he was carrying an injury so I thought that might have something to do with it. He's incredible value for money on most nights but when he has one these funks he looks horrible.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Ctownbulls
RealGM
And1: 3,715

Post#28 » by Ctownbulls » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:49 pm

Standard RealGM Philosophy:

I don't put too much stock into the preseason unless the player is playing very well and is on my team.
theFRANCHISE
Sixth Man
And1: 354

Post#29 » by theFRANCHISE » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:55 pm

I think that whole thing with his wife taking $ from him for secret stuff is messing up his mind right now.
"You could call it with braille!" - Chick Hearn
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,112

Post#30 » by og15 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:57 pm

Pre-season...

Barnes is having personal issues that are very likely affecting his play, but also still pre-season

Village Idiot wrote:
TrueStoryGSW wrote:Yeah their SFs suck, Barnes is getting old, ingles isn't ready for the nba yet, cdr is overrated and really a sg. Too small to guard lebrons kd's etc.
They did a great job of addressing their big man depth with Hawes but the SF remains and their SG's are very one-dimensional.

If they struggle out of the gate and Hawes looks good I can see something centered around DeAndre Jordan for Jeff Green and change.
So fix the weakness at SF by creating a hole at C in terms of a rim protector and an elite rebounder? Not very smart at all. All last year as Clippers fans we knew the issue of the team's third big man. It started with Jamison, Mullens and Hollins and progressed to Hedo at PF and playing Davis at C. Sure, Udoh is there now, but trading DJ for Green is an awful idea.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#31 » by og15 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:05 pm

Boomerfan wrote:
NBAfan3024 wrote:

It's pre season..

They still have

Paul
Griffin
Jordan
Depth
Doc

CDR was a lot better last season than he had been at any point in his career, but we'll see if he can actually be productive.

Every top 3 Western team went to 7 games vs their opponent last season. Sure it seems like it means something, but "struggling" to get our of the first round says little, it's happened with many good teams before. The Clippers have passed the first round 2/3 times this team has been together, once they beat an equally matched team in 7, the other was last season. The time they didn't, they lost to a team with the same record, and their second best player played 17 mpg in the final two games because of this:
That Griffin was even able to play 20 minutes (scoring four points and grabbing five rebounds) before finally being taken out of the game in third quarter surprised him and several within the organization. They had seen Griffin's right ankle swell to size of a softball Monday after practice, when he suffered a high right ankle sprain.

It doesn't seem right in a series as physical and as intense as this -- with Griffin constantly jostling with Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol as if they were in a wrestling match -- that Griffin's season could have potentially come to an end because he landed on a teammate's foot in practice.

With Griffin hobbled and a nonfactor in Tuesday's Game 5, Paul was the only player who stepped up to the challenge -- to the tune of 35 points, six rebounds and four assists.

No other Clippers starter had more than six points, and the only other player in double digits was Jamal Crawford with 15 points. If that's going to be the case in Game 6, the Clippers might as well start making their vacation plans now.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... s-clippers
KobeBryant24
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Post#32 » by KobeBryant24 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:09 pm

He sucks every other yr , check the stats ( shaq voice )
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#33 » by og15 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:46 pm

KobeBryant24 wrote:He sucks every other yr , check the stats ( shaq voice )

He's actually been good his two seasons with the Clippers, save a slow start last season coinciding with some injury issues. Basically averaged 10/5/2 each season with 34% 3PT shooting and a TS% over .550 in each while giving above average defense.
geminiz
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,431

Post#34 » by geminiz » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:56 pm

what was Anthony Bennett's record again?

Return to The General Board