Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Re: Julius Randle goes down -- it looks bad 

Post#121 » by Slava » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:16 pm

LakersDynasty14 wrote:
Slava wrote:
Mr. E wrote:
This is unfortunate news. How credible is this Bresnahan guy?

The good news is that it is still being referred to as a broken leg, and no reports of ligament damage from what I have seen.

Bresnahan is the Lakers beat writer, very credible. Shelburne, Bresnahan and Ding are about as reliable as it gets with the Lakers.

Didn't Dr. Klapper say on twitter that Randle would be back in the gym in 3 months?

Paul George is already in the gym but he ain't playing this season either. Rehab cannot be rushed especially when it's pointless to do so.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
LakersDynasty14
Senior
And1: 513

Post#122 » by LakersDynasty14 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:18 pm

Well, I would say that getting Randle back on the floor this season, if he is ready, would be helpful in speeding up his development.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#123 » by Slava » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:26 pm

LakersDynasty14 wrote:Well, I would say that getting Randle back on the floor this season, if he is ready, would be helpful in speeding up his development.

Not at the cost of his overall wellbeing
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
LakersDynasty14
Senior
And1: 513

Post#124 » by LakersDynasty14 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:31 pm

Slava wrote:
LakersDynasty14 wrote:Well, I would say that getting Randle back on the floor this season, if he is ready, would be helpful in speeding up his development.

Not at the cost of his overall wellbeing

Which is why I said, "if he is ready". I don't think sitting him out just for the sake of sitting him out is a good idea. The Bulls did that with Derrick Rose, and then he ended up getting hurt right away anyway.

Injuries are unpredictable, so if Randle is fully healed, and there are two weeks left in the season, I'd rather see him get some game experience this year.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#125 » by inquisitive » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:31 pm

hope he returns this season...he will be a very good player
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#126 » by Mr. E » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:33 pm

Slava wrote:Bresnahan is the Lakers beat writer, very credible. Shelburne, Bresnahan and Ding are about as reliable as it gets with the Lakers.

Thanks for the info, but I have to admit that I was hoping that it was just some random independent reporter or blogger trying to make a name for themselves by rushing a story out.

Well, it would not be wise to try to rush him back this season. May as well run full rehab and target a fresh start next year.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Usual Suspects
Sixth Man
And1: 2,185

Post#127 » by Usual Suspects » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:15 am

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#128 » by babyjax13 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:41 am

I wonder if he had broken it before and it just didn't have enough time to heal. It's really weird that it broke on a routine play in midair.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Post#129 » by noobcake » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:49 am

LakersDynasty14 wrote:
Slava wrote:
Mr. E wrote:
This is unfortunate news. How credible is this Bresnahan guy?

The good news is that it is still being referred to as a broken leg, and no reports of ligament damage from what I have seen.

Bresnahan is the Lakers beat writer, very credible. Shelburne, Bresnahan and Ding are about as reliable as it gets with the Lakers.

Didn't Dr. Klapper say on twitter that Randle would be back in the gym in 3 months?

Klapper is a Lakers homer. Randle's break required a metal intramedullary rod to be put in. Other doctors have quoted time tables of 3-6 months. Lakers being the tanking team they are probably are going to shut down Randle for the season just because.
StartingBench
Rookie
And1: 361

Post#130 » by StartingBench » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:36 pm

Hate to see stuff like this happen. Hopefully he'll be ready next year.
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,284

Post#131 » by rockmanslim » Sat Nov 1, 2014 5:47 pm

Saw a replay of the play, and when he plants his right leg to take off, you can hear what sounds like a muffled yet audible snap of his bone breaking, muffled because it's covered by a layer of flesh, audible because it's his bone snapping. *shudder*

Here's the video I saw it on, but the audio and video are out of sync (audio is delayed by 400 ms). Starts at the 6:00 mark:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IWIYGZN_h0[/youtube]

If you sync up the audio (400 ms was determined by using earlier events, like a shot clanging off the rim, or the end of quarter buzzer going off, then correcting in SMPlayer), the sound happens right when he plants his leg. It seems like it occurs right before his left foot kicks his right leg, so I'm thinking he broke it on the plant, not on the self-kick. Maybe someone can find a version with the audio synced correctly...
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

Return to The General Board