4 players forming a circle around the dribbler

maxpower88
Senior
And1: 174

4 players forming a circle around the dribbler 

Post#1 » by maxpower88 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:31 pm

So this is a silly idea, but I was just thinking that if a team were to play a completely unorthodox form of basketball, where four players lock arms around the dribbler and form a circle around him so that no defensive player can enter their 'cylinder' to attempt a steal. The players could slowly make their way down the court for easy baskets.

Now, to defend this teams would essentially have to form pick lines since the circle of players can only move so fast. It would essentially come down to which was faster, the offensive circle or defensive line. But I believe that if a team were to spend a good portion of time, they could develop a very cheap way to win ball games.
Ettorefm
Head Coach
And1: 5,260

Re: 4 players forming a circle around the dribbler 

Post#2 » by Ettorefm » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:32 pm

You're not being funny
bagsboy wrote:For two hundred years Democrats stole the productive output of slaves and now they seek to enrich themselves with the productive output from the 'rich'. First, Republicans needed to end slavery and next they need to fix taxation with a flat fair tax.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#3 » by Prokorov » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:33 pm

LakersDynasty14
Senior
And1: 513

Post#4 » by LakersDynasty14 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:33 pm

Is this like an offensive version of the "wall of hands"?
KokoKaizer
Sixth Man
And1: 2,170

Post#5 » by KokoKaizer » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:34 pm

maxpower88 wrote:So this is a silly idea, but I was just thinking that if a team were to play a completely unorthodox form of basketball, where four players lock arms around the dribbler and form a circle around him so that no defensive player can enter their 'cylinder' to attempt a steal. The players could slowly make their way down the court for easy baskets.

Now, to defend this teams would essentially have to form pick lines since the circle of players can only move so fast. It would essentially come down to which was faster, the offensive circle or defensive line. But I believe that if a team were to spend a good portion of time, they could develop a very cheap way to win ball games.

Can I have some of your stuff please?!
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,091

Post#6 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:35 pm

It would be a moving screen probably. Or an offensive foul if someone just took a charge as the bumbling mass moved. Not the most graceful way to make it down the court.
maxpower88
Senior

Post#7 » by maxpower88 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:35 pm

Again, I know it's a silly idea, I'm not suggesting this is a new strategy. I'm just trying to see if there is anything in the rulebook that wouldn't allow this. Maybe the referee's view of the ball being obstructed?
maxpower88
Senior

Post#8 » by maxpower88 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:37 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:It would be a moving screen probably. Or an offensive foul if someone just took a charge as the bumbling mass moved. Not the most graceful way to make it down the court.

This is what I'm thinking when I said teams would counter it by just forming a wall of players to move in front of the circle. I'm just thinking that if the player closest to the position the circle wants to go in were to move before a defender, it would give the circle positioning.

I think the biggest problem with the circle strategy is the team not getting enough time to get close enough to get an efficient shot off. Even backcourt violation timers would be a problem.
fancynapkin
Junior
And1: 310

Post#10 » by fancynapkin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:44 pm

maxpower88 wrote:So this is a silly idea, but I was just thinking that if a team were to play a completely unorthodox form of basketball, where four players lock arms around the dribbler and form a circle around him so that no defensive player can enter their 'cylinder' to attempt a steal. The players could slowly make their way down the court for easy baskets.

And the defending team is just supposed to like, move out of the way for this slowly moving stupid ring around the rosie BS offense? They could easily just block any open lanes because that thing would be moving so slowly and clumsily.
OvertimeNO
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,663

Post#11 » by OvertimeNO » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:44 pm

I'm desperately trying to find that thread about how a tall player carrying a midget holding the basketball would be a viable strategy. Someone help me out.
"If it ain't broke, don't break it." - Charles Oakley
LakersDynasty14
Senior

Post#12 » by LakersDynasty14 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:47 pm

OvertimeNO wrote:I'm desperately trying to find that thread about how a tall player carrying a midget holding the basketball would be a viable strategy. Someone help me out.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1297984&start=20

viewtopic.php?t=855808
OvertimeNO
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,663

Post#13 » by OvertimeNO » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:48 pm

LakersDynasty14 wrote:
OvertimeNO wrote:I'm desperately trying to find that thread about how a tall player carrying a midget holding the basketball would be a viable strategy. Someone help me out.

viewtopic.php?t=855808

Much obliged. I need to bookmark these.
"If it ain't broke, don't break it." - Charles Oakley
LakersDynasty14
Senior

Post#14 » by LakersDynasty14 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:49 pm

Apparently you are not the first to come up with this idea.

snomeister wrote:In all seriousness though I thought of a similar idea before but on offence. You get four players to stand around in a ring around the player who has the ball and just protect him from defenders until he gets closer to the basket and makes an easy layup.

I'm actually curious to see if this would be effective for a game before the league banned it.

maxpower88
Senior

Post#15 » by maxpower88 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:52 pm

fancynapkin wrote:

And the defending team is just supposed to like, move out of the way for this slowly moving stupid ring around the rosie BS offense? They could easily just block any open lanes because that thing would be moving so slowly and clumsily.

No which is why I said they would simply form a line, but good job at not being able to read to the third sentence.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#16 » by Golabki » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:53 pm

You're the Kings owner! Admit it!
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,955

Post#17 » by Shock Defeat » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:53 pm

Why doesn't somebody just recruit 5 of the tallest humans in the world and all they do is pass the ball really high to each other. They don't even have to dribble.
Rich Michmond
Sixth Man
And1: 2,971
Location: российско-немецкий кондоминиум под еврейским доверительным управлением

Post#18 » by Rich Michmond » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:55 pm

can we bring our pets?
Gordon Haywood, Dwayne Wade, JJ Reddick, Derek Rose, Derrick Fisher, Lenny Wilkins, Kirk Heinrich, Oscar Robinson, DeMar DeRozen, Andre Iguadola, Pascal Siakim, Malcolm Brogdan
picc
RealGM
And1: 17,754

Post#19 » by picc » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:01 pm

lmao
steamed hams
General Manager
And1: 19,431

Post#20 » by steamed hams » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:01 pm

In all seriousness, that wouldn't work because the screeners wouldn't know which way the ball handler wanted to move. 9/10 the ball handler would probably just dribble it off the foot of one of the 4 guys surrounding him. It'll be a turnover every time. But other than that, it's illegal screening.

Return to The General Board