Did you know? Julius Erving & The Atlanta Hawks

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

markdeez33
RealGM
And1: 2,192

Did you know? Julius Erving & The Atlanta Hawks 

Post#1 » by markdeez33 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:47 am

In September of 1972, Julius Erving refused to report to camp for the ABA's Virginia Squires and decided he was going to leave the ABA for the NBA. He entered training camp with the Atlanta Hawks and participated in 2 interleague exhibitions between NBA & ABA teams. One on September 23 against the Kentucky Colonels where Erving scored 28 points & 18 rebounds, and one game on September 30 vs the Carolina Cougars where Erving scored 32 points. The NBA fined the Atlanta Hawks $25,000 for using Julius Erving in these games, because his NBA rights belonged to the Milwaukee Bucks, and the ABA took Erving to court, where the judge ruled that Erving had to honor his contract with the Virginia Squires, and he promptly returned to the ABA.

Could you imagine how good the 1972-1973 Atlanta Hawks would've been with the addition of Julius Erving? That year the Hawks went 46-36 and were coached by Cotton Fitzsimmons, and featured a "big three" of stars: Walt Bellamy, "Pistol" Pete Maravich, and "Sweet" Lou Hudson. Imagine "Dr. J" suiting up for the Hawks that year, just how epic it could've been!

I thought this would be a cool piece of trivia to share with the general board. I never see much talk in regards to the NBA/ABA 70s era. I also find the 79 interleague games played between the league very fascinating and would love for 30 For 30 to do a documentary surrounding some of the history on the games that weren't very publicized between the two leagues. Lots of very cool history that has almost been forgotten over the years.
orlandomanic
Bench Warmer
And1: 334

Re: Did you know? Julius Erving & The Atlanta Hawks 

Post#2 » by orlandomanic » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:57 am

Pistol Pete and Julius Erving would have made an interesting duo. Especially since Erving struggled so much and for so long with the Sixers.

Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#3 » by Sofa King » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:23 am

I didn't even remember that and I'm old. I'm sure most realgm members now are like "Who's Dr. J?"
VC-INJURY
Sixth Man
And1: 1,417

Post#4 » by VC-INJURY » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:45 am

Yes.

This is common knowledge to most who spend even a bit of time exploring the history of the NBA.
Rosque
Analyst
And1: 2,010

Post#5 » by Rosque » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:50 am

Sofa King wrote:I didn't even remember that and I'm old. I'm sure most realgm members now are like "Who's Dr. J?"

Wasn't he a personal doctor for Wilt's 6ers?
"All these guys who run these organizations who talk about analytics, they have one thing in common: They're a bunch of guys who ain't never played the game, they never got the girls in high school, and they just want to get in the game."
wallsfamily
Pro Prospect
And1: 155

Post#6 » by wallsfamily » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:34 pm

Would have been great for both Atlanta and the league!
Cycklops
Sixth Man
And1: 2,080

Post#7 » by Cycklops » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:47 pm

The Bucks would've been even better. They won 60 games that year and had Kareem and Oscar Robertson.
TONY_YAYO
Pro Prospect
And1: 324

Post#8 » by TONY_YAYO » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:26 pm

Cycklops wrote:The Bucks would've been even better. They won 60 games that year and had Kareem and Oscar Robertson.

W/ Dr.J this would have been GOAT
“I didn’t come for the massage, Funk; I came for the facial.”-Stacey King
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#9 » by Johnlac1 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:31 pm

Cycklops wrote:The Bucks would've been even better. They won 60 games that year and had Kareem and Oscar Robertson.

Would have meant two or so extra titles for the Bucks.....even with Oscar having constant pulled muscle problems.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#10 » by Kabookalu » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:34 pm

This was my thought too. Julius Erving with Kareem and Oscar would be far more intriguing.
Read on Twitter
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#11 » by RSCD3_ » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:40 pm

Sofa King wrote:I didn't even remember that and I'm old. I'm sure most realgm members now are like "Who's Dr. J?"

Isn't he the guy who rehabilitated wade

Julius Grover?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,064

Post#12 » by tidho » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:40 pm

I did not know this.
That Bucks team would have been insane. What if that kept Kareem in Milwaukee....
Cycklops
Sixth Man
And1: 2,080

Post#13 » by Cycklops » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:24 pm

tidho wrote:I did not know this.
That Bucks team would have been insane. What if that kept Kareem in Milwaukee....

I was thinking about that also. That is a MASSIVE what-if. Dr. J tried to go to the NBA, and the Bucks had his draft rights.

I can see Kareem staying in Milwaukee in that case. Which changes a whole era.
Wonderllama
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,401

Post#14 » by Wonderllama » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:26 pm

There would have been more footage when he was sporting that crazy afro
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,825

Post#15 » by giberish » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:29 pm

Cycklops wrote:
tidho wrote:I did not know this.

I was thinking about that also. That is a MASSIVE what-if. Dr. J tried to go to the NBA, and the Bucks had his draft rights.

I can see Kareem staying in Milwaukee in that case. Which changes a whole era.

That whole situation was wild. Dr J claimed that he didn't have good enough representation when he signed his first deal with the Squires and unilaterally declared himself a FA (realistically he wan't that big of a deal when he signed out of UMass, but after two years it was clear Virginia had a bargain).

He wasn't draft eligible for the NBA until that summer, but Atlanta signed him before the draft. They didn't bother to draft him though, so Milwaulkee did.

Return to The General Board