Why Anthony Davis CAN win MVP

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

MixedUp
Senior
And1: 254

Why Anthony Davis CAN win MVP 

Post#1 » by MixedUp » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:10 pm

Most of you guys keep telling me that Anthony Davis cannot win MVP for various reasons..

1. LeBron is too good..
2. Pelicans are not good enough..
3. Anthony Davis is too young.
4. etc. etc
I am convinced that he can.. And here is why..

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyOdIr8UelI[/youtube]
PerFex
Junior
And1: 347

Re: Why Anthony Davis CAN win MVP 

Post#2 » by PerFex » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:19 pm

He can't. Pelicans sucks.
RichieW
Rookie
And1: 867

Post#3 » by RichieW » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:22 pm

Pelicans won't win enough games for him to be MVP
KD35Brah
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,024

Post#4 » by KD35Brah » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:26 pm

He's not getting a top 3 record.
DoubleLintendre
Assistant Coach
And1: 8,621

Post#5 » by DoubleLintendre » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:30 pm

He probably can't. I blame Eric Gordon.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#6 » by dautjazz » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:33 pm

His PER is 37!!!!

#1 in BPG
#1 in SPG
#3 in PPG
#3 in RPG
#8 in FG%

#1 in PER
#1 in WS
#1 in +/-

It would be a damn shame for this performance to not land him an MVP, but I guess the MVP would be misrepresented if the winner wasn't part of one of the best teams.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
Umbooki
RealGM
And1: 29,701

Post#7 » by Umbooki » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:34 pm

He needs a better team.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 79,737

Post#8 » by DayofMourning » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:40 pm

dautjazz wrote:His PER is 37!!!!

#1 in BPG
#1 in SPG
#3 in PPG
#3 in RPG
#8 in FG%

#1 in PER
#1 in WS
#1 in +/-

It would be a damn shame for this performance to land him an MVP, but I guess the MVP would be misrepresented if the winner wasn't part of one of the best teams.

What would be amazing is if he ended the season as the blocks and steals leader. I'm not going to check, but I'm sure that has never been done before. If he did that along with the rebounds title, we'd have a new defensive Triple Crown established.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#9 » by Michael Lucky » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:41 pm

He's only 21. lol
Ugalde
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,260

Post#10 » by Ugalde » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:42 pm

You do make a good point I guess all we can do is wait and see.
politics
to many 3s
Steven1562
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,180

Post#11 » by Steven1562 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:47 pm

If he can grab the 8th seed and continue to put up big numbers he's got a shot .... I mean look at his team without Davis they would be nothing
Any time y'all wanna see me again
Rewind this track right here, close your eyes
and picture me rollin

Scottie Barnes Believer.
chuckdevlin
Lead Assistant
And1: 10,187

Post#12 » by chuckdevlin » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:53 pm

Preach. Realgm sucks
Retire Joey Graham's Number in the ACC #letsgooo #whatnumber?
dautjazz
RealGM

Post#13 » by dautjazz » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:00 pm

DayofMourning wrote:

#1 in BPG
#1 in SPG
#3 in PPG
#3 in RPG
#8 in FG%

#1 in PER
#1 in WS
#1 in +/-

It would be a damn shame for this performance to land him an MVP, but I guess the MVP would be misrepresented if the winner wasn't part of one of the best teams.

What would be amazing is if he ended the season as the blocks and steals leader. I'm not going to check, but I'm sure that has never been done before. If he did that along with the rebounds title, we'd have a new defensive Triple Crown established.

Olajuwon came quite close: 13.5rpg 2.6spg and 3.4bog 1988-89. Steals and blocks stats weren't always kept, but I wouldn't put it past Wilt or Russell to have done it.
NickAnderson wrote:

jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#14 » by jimmy keys » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:25 pm

Where are all the Pistons fans who'd rather have Drummond ? hahaha
jps78
Junior
And1: 183

Post#15 » by jps78 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:28 pm

Down the road yes but MVP winners are usually guys from 58-60+ win teams. If you're talking this year that's not happening but I can see it in the future. Lebron/KD will be in the hunt most years but if the Pelicans can get a solid year in with a lot of wins in a loaded west. It's possible.
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by DayofMourning » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:29 pm

dautjazz wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:

#1 in BPG
#1 in SPG
#3 in PPG
#3 in RPG
#8 in FG%

#1 in PER
#1 in WS
#1 in +/-

Olajuwon came quite close: 13.5rpg 2.6spg and 3.4bog 1988-89. Steals and blocks stats weren't always kept, but I wouldn't put it past Wilt or Russell to have done it.

That's a bit of a stretch concerning Olajuwon. Manute had almost a full block more than he did. He also wasn't top five in steals either. That shows how near impossible it is to do it. I think Drob had a season where he was blocks leader while finishing top five in steals. Rebounding wise, that was probably at Rodman's prime though.
dautjazz
RealGM

Post#17 » by dautjazz » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:35 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
dautjazz wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:

That's a bit of a stretch concerning Olajuwon. Manute had almost a full block more than he did. He also wasn't top five in steals either. That shows how near impossible it is to do it. I think Drob had a season where he was blocks leader while finishing top five in steals. Rebounding wise, that was probably at Rodman's prime though.

Regardless, take out Anthony Davis, insert Olajuwon, he'd be leading the league in spg, bpg, and rpg with those averages. I didn't adjust for pace, but he'd be close.
NickAnderson wrote:

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by DayofMourning » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:39 pm

dautjazz wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:
dautjazz wrote:

Regardless, take out Anthony Davis, insert Olajuwon, he'd be leading the league in spg, bpg, and rpg with those averages.

I had to read that a few times, but I get what you're saying.

Its been said that Admiral and Hakeem had guard's games in center's bodies. Well, that's exactly what Anthony Davis was and is. A guard who went on a crazy growth spurt, and just happened to retain his coordination and athleticism.

Rare circumstances to be sure, but rarer still if you consider AD's level of intelligence on the court. Smart player. He's doing stuff that hasn't been done in a decade.
dautjazz
RealGM

Post#19 » by dautjazz » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:48 pm

DayofMourning wrote:
dautjazz wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:

Regardless, take out Anthony Davis, insert Olajuwon, he'd be leading the league in spg, bpg, and rpg with those averages.

Its been said that Admiral and Hakeem had guard's games in center's bodies. Well, that's exactly what Anthony Davis was and is. A guard who went on a crazy growth spurt, and just happened to retain his coordination and athleticism.

Rare circumstances to be sure, but rarer still if you consider AD's level of intelligence on the court. Smart player. He's doing stuff that hasn't been done in a decade.

Olajuwon learned the game of basketball later than most, I think around 16? Anyway, he grew up playing soccer, and attributes that to his great footwork. Even now, past the age of 50, he's SMOOTH in his post game.

Regardless, I love what I'm seeing from Davis, and am rooting for him to have one of the GOAT statistical seasons and to be a HOF center of the caliber of Olajuwon or Robinson. I can't believe that at 21 he can draw up legit comparisons to them.
NickAnderson wrote:

DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by DayofMourning » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:08 pm

dautjazz wrote:
DayofMourning wrote:
dautjazz wrote:

Olajuwon learned the game of basketball later than most, I think around 16? Anyway, he grew up playing soccer, and attributes that to his great footwork. Even now, past the age of 50, he's SMOOTH in his post game.

Regardless, I love what I'm seeing from Davis, and am rooting for him to have one of the GOAT statistical seasons and to be a HOF center of the caliber of Olajuwon or Robinson. I can't believe that at 21 he can draw up legit comparisons to them.

I'm with you. I miss Dream and Admiral. I wish there were 5 or 6 more Davis' right now. Maybe Embiid can come into his own over the next few years. There really aren't any other true contenders available right now.

Return to The General Board