Can Deng and the Heat Turn it around?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Agnostifarian
Veteran
And1: 705

Re: Can Deng and the Heat Turn it around? 

Post#81 » by Agnostifarian » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:32 pm

The Heat are so close to being a lottery team... I'm afraid D-Wade will get hurt and Riley will go full on Tank Commander which would suck for Philly because we'll lose Miami's 2015 first round pick!
“This may be one of the best jobs in basketball right now,” Colangelo said at a press conference introducing him as the new GM of the 76ers after Sam Hinkie resigned.
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,616

Post#82 » by KingDavid » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:32 pm

timglick01 wrote:
blumeany wrote:
timglick01 wrote:Deng and the Heat? Don't you mean Bosh and the Heat?

Don't you mean Wade and the Heat?

No, he is washed up

The only washed up thing about him is his health. Whenever he plays, he's the best on our team.

Lack of a decent center, health, and this stupid exhausting defense are our biggest problems.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#83 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:57 am

timglick01 wrote:Deng and the Heat? Don't you mean Bosh and the Heat?

I'm not talking about Deng being the man there. I mean can he get better and that would help the team in turn.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
runlikehell
Veteran
And1: 625

Post#84 » by runlikehell » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:48 am

So 22 PPG on 53% shooting in only 32 minutes a game (Wade) is washed up :lol:.

Deng is fine, he's actually doing better than what I expected and he's shooting the 3 at a solid clip. Difference is he's not playing 40 minutes a game and he's the 3rd/4th option, he's not gonna score 20 a game.

Problem is defense and depth. Once the bench comes in they screw everything up and the starters have to come back from like 10 points. Really, really bad bench. We've actually had some decent starts and leads in a lot our recent losses. Don't get me started on the defense... But if they can improve on that end enough to be at least around average, they'll be pretty solid. Big if though.

Also, injuries. With so many new guys its been tough to build the chemistry (especially on defense), we have a different starting lineup seemingly every game.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,318

Post#85 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:26 am

^

I totally agree about Wade. There is such a common theme around the league about him that he is washed up that people ignore the fact that he is a still a very good player. Certainly better than Kobe at this present moment. If he is healthy come playoff time I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled off an upset or two.
MMyhre
Suspended
And1: 558

Post#86 » by MMyhre » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:35 am

For this team to win, D-Wade has to be a superstar. He was tonight, even though he was sick in some way like the last 2 games according to himself/the team. So we should be at least a 5-6th seed if he keeps these efficent 25 + games going and the balance offensively stays decent.
runlikehell
Veteran

Post#87 » by runlikehell » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:47 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:^

I totally agree about Wade. There is such a common theme around the league about him that he is washed up that people ignore the fact that he is a still a very good player. Certainly better than Kobe at this present moment. If he is healthy come playoff time I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled off an upset or two.

A lot of people just WANT him to be done, many people hate him, which is whatever. People have their opinions.
Its the same with Kobe, when he has a bad game, you see so many "he's done" posts.

It sucks that injuries have slowed him down so much but you can just see, his game has really evolved. I don't know if there's another guard with a better post game, maybe Kobe.

And yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if this team gets sweeped in the first round or gets to the ECF. They're pretty unpredictable right now.
heyrayray
Senior
And1: 535

Post#88 » by heyrayray » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:10 am

Change the title to "Can the Bosh and the Heat turn it around"
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#89 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:41 am

heyrayray wrote:Change the title to "Can the Bosh and the Heat turn it around"

Na, this thread is about Deng. Bosh is playing fine and has enough shots. The team isn't doing very well and Deng needs more shots.

MMyhre wrote:For this team to win, D-Wade has to be a superstar. He was tonight, even though he was sick in some way like the last 2 games according to himself/the team. So we should be at least a 5-6th seed if he keeps these efficent 25 + games going and the balance offensively stays decent.

Maybe, or give more shots to Deng if Wade can't consistently be superstar.

runlikehell wrote:Deng is fine, he's actually doing better than what I expected and he's shooting the 3 at a solid clip. Difference is he's not playing 40 minutes a game and he's the 3rd/4th option, he's not gonna score 20 a game.

He's shooting too little.
Problem is defense and depth. Once the bench comes in they screw everything up and the starters have to come back from like 10 points. Really, really bad bench. We've actually had some decent starts and leads in a lot our recent losses. Don't get me started on the defense... But if they can improve on that end enough to be at least around average, they'll be pretty solid. Big if though.

Also, injuries. With so many new guys its been tough to build the chemistry (especially on defense), we have a different starting lineup seemingly every game.

Defense at the 3 spot shouldn't have dropped off that much. Maybe play Deng more if the bench is so bad?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,404

Post#90 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:57 am

If anything you can expect his percentages to regress, he's never shot like this before and is finishing very well inside the arc.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,377

Post#91 » by durden_tyler » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:04 pm

Everyone expected they won't contend even in the weak East.

Until Wade retires is the time they'll be back to relevance. They need some young guys in that team.
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
runlikehell
Veteran

Post#92 » by runlikehell » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:15 pm

Yeah, cause I'm the coach.
Your obsession with Deng is getting weird. He'd be playing a little more but he just came back from injury. Him shooting more isn't gonna fix any of our problems. Source: I actually watch the games.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#93 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:40 am

runlikehell wrote:Your obsession with Deng is getting weird. Him shooting more isn't gonna fix any of our problems.

Na, I like him as a player and expected him to have a bigger role in the offense. Just wondering.
Thanks for the honesty.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,181

Post#94 » by BBallFreak » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:47 am

ChokeFasncists wrote:
runlikehell wrote:Your obsession with Deng is getting weird. Him shooting more isn't gonna fix any of our problems.

Na, I like him as a player and expected him to have a bigger role in the offense. Just wondering.

He's the third option behind Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. What did you expect? I think he's doing exactly what he's supposed to do and then some. Love his game. Love the fit with the team.

Miami's problem has been consistency in terms of our rotation. Wade, Deng, McBob, Birdman, Cole, Granger, and Haslem have all missed time. That's not good when you're essentially a brand new team.

I personally want to see Miami be able to field a rotation of:

Pg: Napier / Chalmers
SG: Wade / Ennis
Sf: Deng / Granger
Pf: McBob / Haslem
Cc: Bosh / Anderson

I feel like we haven't gotten to see what we have, much less build continuity.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#95 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:10 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:

He's the third option behind Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. What did you expect?

Well, in the first year your big 3 won the championship, it was:

James: 27
Wade: 22
Bosh: 18

This year, it is:

Wade: 21
Bosh: 21
Deng: 14

So I thought it'd be a good thing for Deng to score more as he's capable.
I think he's doing exactly what he's supposed to do and then some. Love his game. Love the fit with the team.

That's great!
Miami's problem has been consistency in terms of our rotation. Wade, Deng, McBob, Birdman, Cole, Granger, and Haslem have all missed time. That's not good when you're essentially a brand new team.

I personally want to see Miami be able to field a rotation of:

Pg: Napier / Chalmers
SG: Wade / Ennis
Sf: Deng / Granger
Pf: McBob / Haslem
Cc: Bosh / Anderson

I feel like we haven't gotten to see what we have, much less build continuity.

So sounds like with more time, they can turn it around!
Thanks for the honesty.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#96 » by BBallFreak » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:40 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:Na, I like him as a player and expected him to have a bigger role in the offense. Just wondering.

He's the third option behind Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. What did you expect?

This year, it is:

So I thought it'd be a good thing for Deng to score more as he's capable

Deng is not Chris Bosh. He's a very good player but to expect him to be able to reproduce Bosh's production, much less warrant his stature in the offensive hierarchy, is rather nearsighted. As he and McBob become more integrated within the context of the team, you'll probably see more opportunities for both, but to expect 18 a game from Deng just doesn't seem reasonable. I think he might be able to max out at 15 or 16 a game. Nothing more. Good player. Great complimentary piece. Not an offensive focal point.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#97 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:38 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:He's the third option behind Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. What did you expect?

This year, it is:

So I thought it'd be a good thing for Deng to score more as he's capable

Deng is not Chris Bosh. He's a very good player but to expect him to be able to reproduce Bosh's production, much less warrant his stature in the offensive hierarchy, is rather nearsighted. As he and McBob become more integrated within the context of the team, you'll probably see more opportunities for both, but to expect 18 a game from Deng just doesn't seem reasonable. I think he might be able to max out at 15 or 16 a game. Nothing more. Good player. Great complimentary piece. Not an offensive focal point.

I'm not expecting him to "be able to reproduce Bosh's production, much less warrant his stature in the offensive hierarchy". I was just responding to your claim that since he's the third option, he cannot be expected to do score more. It has nothing to do with Bosh. It's just that he's capable of scoring more and it would be in the team's best interest to give him the opportunity, especially since Bosh is not LeBron and Wade is declining. You already lose 6 points from the first scorer. It's a different situation altogether. To become good you need more points from Deng, otherwise, that'd be not turning it around for me, since the bench and D aren't that good.
Thanks for the honesty.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#98 » by BBallFreak » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:57 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:I'm not expecting him to "be able to reproduce Bosh's production, much less warrant his stature in the offensive hierarchy". I was just responding to your claim that since he's the third option, he cannot be expected to do score more. It has nothing to do with Bosh. It's just that he's capable of scoring more and it would be in the team's best interest to give him the opportunity, especially since Bosh is not LeBron and Wade is declining. You already lose 6 points from the first scorer. It's a different situation altogether. To become good you need more points from Deng, otherwise, that'd be not turning it around for me, since the bench and D aren't that good.

So what you're saying is we need to force offense through Deng? No thanks. He's a good player having a good year but I'd rather have more balance, having Wade, Bosh, and Deng take a bit less in order to allow some of our other players opportunities. We're better with McBob and company being scoring that's, rather than forcing Deng to be more than he is.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#99 » by ChokeFasncists » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:20 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:I'm not expecting him to "be able to reproduce Bosh's production, much less warrant his stature in the offensive hierarchy". I was just responding to your claim that since he's the third option, he cannot be expected to do score more. It has nothing to do with Bosh. It's just that he's capable of scoring more and it would be in the team's best interest to give him the opportunity, especially since Bosh is not LeBron and Wade is declining. You already lose 6 points from the first scorer. It's a different situation altogether. To become good you need more points from Deng, otherwise, that'd be not turning it around for me, since the bench and D aren't that good.

So what you're saying is we need to force offense through Deng? No thanks. He's a good player having a good year but I'd rather have more balance, having Wade, Bosh, and Deng take a bit less in order to allow some of our other players opportunities. We're better with McBob and company being scoring that's, rather than forcing Deng to be more than he is.

No, no, not at all. Neither forcing nor going thru him would be good. He's better being set up. He's taking 10 shots per games and I think him averaging 2 or 3 more would be beneficial to the team.

Ideally everyone scoring and winning champs is the best, like the Spurs, but it rarely works that way. Or you have completely given up on contending?
Thanks for the honesty.
BBallFreak
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#100 » by BBallFreak » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:27 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:No, no, not at all. Neither forcing nor going thru him would be good. He's better being set up. He's taking 10 shots per games and I think him averaging 2 or 3 more would be beneficial to the team.

Ideally everyone scoring and winning champs is the best, like the Spurs, but it rarely works that way. Or you have completely given up on contending?

Clearly, I have not, given that I just said I want everyone to score. You actually quoted that. I just don't see Deng getting 2-3 more shots per game as being the difference between contention and mediocrity. We're a near .500 team. Our peak is probably 45 wins. That's who we're going to be unless something drastic happens. No shame in that. Deng is a big part of us remaining in the playoff picture. He is not the difference between going for a fifth consecutive Finals appearance and a first round exit...

Return to The General Board