OKC starters are the best 5-man lineup in the league

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Re: OKC starters are the best 5-man lineup in the league 

Post#21 » by TheOGJabroni » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:20 pm

greenandgold wrote:
CsBsSoxPhins wrote:
YouMustBeJoakim wrote:At first I thought this held some weight, but then I checked which lineup led the league 2012-2013 (under your criteria) and it was:

C. Delfino | T. Douglas | M. Morris | C. Parsons | G. Smith HOU 2012-13

Seems like a championship team in my eyes.

Current OKC starters are obviously going to play a lot more minutes this season than the random lineup you found. I will keep raising the minutes requirement as the season goes along to flush out the queer cases.

I was mostly just being a wiseass. I actually really like OKC. I'm surprised this statistic didn't belong to the Blazers though. They may just be more balanced but they have less of a weak link, IMO.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,775

Post#22 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:20 pm

The title of the OP sounds reasonable enough. Any lineup with Durant/Westbrook is going to be strong--we have many seasons demonstrating this concept.

The rest of the OP's thoughts itt are hilarious tho.

Look I get having the right role player--DeShawn was our Roberson in 2011--low minute "starter" who was in there to guard the best wing on the other team to start the game, then he leaves and the real 2-guard(JET or in your case--Reggie Jackson) comes in to play the bulk of the minutes.

I'm sure Roberson is a useful role player, but acting like he is the key to the Thunder success? Well good luck with all that.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#23 » by NBAfan3024 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:21 pm

Stats aside I think GS have the best starting 5 imo
greenandgold
Senior
And1: 202

Post#24 » by greenandgold » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:37 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:The title of the OP sounds reasonable enough. Any lineup with Durant/Westbrook is going to be strong--we have many seasons demonstrating this concept.

The rest of the OP's thoughts itt are hilarious tho.

Look I get having the right role player--DeShawn was our Roberson in 2011--low minute "starter" who was in there to guard the best wing on the other team to start the game, then he leaves and the real 2-guard(JET or in your case--Reggie Jackson) comes in to play the bulk of the minutes.

I'm sure Roberson is a useful role player, but acting like he is the key to the Thunder success? Well good luck with all that.

I like Bruce Bowen or Tony Allen better as comparisons for Roberson. All world defense stoppers that have had plenty of success playing next to established offensive stars.

DeShawn was a fine role player but never an all-world stopper. In terms of DBPM DeShawn was a -0.7 in 2010-11, as high as it got during his career. Roberson this year has a DBPM of +3.9 leads all perimeter players in the NBA this year.
JVL
Starter
And1: 2,489

Post#25 » by JVL » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:39 pm

They've played 91.5 minutes together. Ninety-one-point-five.

Compare that with other starting 5's:
Raptors - +8.8, 213min.
Blazers - +11.9, 423min.
Bulls - +13.2, 161min.
Cavs - +3.6, 236min.
Warriors - +28.6, 245min
Clippers - +15.2, 402min.
Wizards - +7.9, 211min.
Grizzlies - +5.8, 295min.
Hawks - +3.3, 341min.

Their small sample size stats are impressive, but when the **** will RealGM fangirls stop making sweeping conclusions based on ridiculously small sample sizes and, most likely, statistical outliers.
Texas Chuck

Post#26 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:41 pm

greenandgold wrote:DeShawn was a fine role player but never an all-world stopper.

I'd be surprised if 2015 Roberson would defend 2011 Kobe/Durant/Lebron/Wade as well as DeShawn did in our playoff run. Plus DeShawn had an offensive skill in being able to hit open 3's.

Roberson is a good young defender, but you really need to slow down if you think his D is closer to Bowen/Allen than it is DeShawn Stevenson.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
greenandgold
Senior

Post#27 » by greenandgold » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:45 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:
greenandgold wrote:DeShawn was a fine role player but never an all-world stopper.

I'd be surprised if 2015 Roberson would defend 2011 Kobe/Durant/Lebron/Wade as well as DeShawn did in our playoff run. Plus DeShawn had an offensive skill in being able to hit open 3's.

Roberson is a good young defender, but you really need to slow down if you think his D is closer to Bowen/Allen than it is DeShawn Stevenson.

See DBPM stats quoted above and also RPM. All advanced stats indicate Roberson is in another echelon of defense when compared to Stevenson.

Highest DBPM Bowen ever reached was +2.5. Tony Allen was a career high +3.7 DBPM this season. Roberson's +3.9 is better than both. I acknowledge he was to do it for a whole season and a playoffs before he gets his league wide respect. But that doesn't change the fact that he's doing it.

I understand players make their reputations during the playoffs. Just don't act surprised at what Roberson does this postseason to your favorite team's offense.
thunderup_0_35
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#28 » by thunderup_0_35 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:46 pm

Chuck Texas wrote:

thunderup_0_35
Sophomore
And1: 39

Post#29 » by thunderup_0_35 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:47 pm

thunderup_0_35 wrote:
Chuck Texas wrote:

Jason kidd guarded KD the best. I don't remember saying damn Stevenson is out the Deeing.
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,241

Post#30 » by Frank Dux » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:51 pm

Roberson quickly became the most overrated player in the NBA.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,076

Post#31 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:52 pm

Frank Dux wrote:Roberson quickly became the most overrated player in the NBA.

Just by the OP. I'd rather have Shumpert who can actually shoot and keep Roberson as a project.
Texas Chuck

Post#32 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:10 pm

thunderup_0_35 wrote:Jason kidd guarded KD the best. I don't remember saying damn Stevenson is out the Deeing.

I think you are missing my point. Im not claiming DeShawn was a 1st team all-D guy. He wasn't. He was a good tough physical defender. You know, kinda like a veteran version of Roberson.

My point isn't to talk about how great DeShawn is. He is merely an example of a guy Roberson is like. Bowen/Allen are on a whole different level from either guy.

And while Kidd was pretty effective in small stints on Durant/Lebron--clearly Marion and DeShawn did the heavy lifting against those guys. Obviously Kidd was a better defender than DeShawn over their careers, and he was really good against guarding much bigger guys, but he wasn't capable of guarding elite SF's full-time while running the Dallas attack.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#33 » by bondom34 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:18 pm

I'm thrilled with the win streak, but really please don't do this. I don't want OKC fans to be "those people". Be humble please?
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,540

Post#34 » by Bergmaniac » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:22 pm

The schedule has been pretty easy ever since Russ got back, so I wouldn't read much into this.

Jury is still out on how much Roberson's utter inability to make a jump shot (not an exaggeration, so far in his career his jump shot percentage is 11%, most of them had been wide open shots) will hurt OKC against the top defensive teams.
Shimso
Starter
And1: 2,703

Post#35 » by Shimso » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:24 pm

JVL wrote:They've played 91.5 minutes together. Ninety-one-point-five.

Compare that with other starting 5's:
Raptors - +8.8, 213min.
Blazers - +11.9, 423min.
Bulls - +13.2, 161min.
Cavs - +3.6, 236min.
Warriors - +28.6, 245min
Clippers - +15.2, 402min.
Wizards - +7.9, 211min.
Grizzlies - +5.8, 295min.
Hawks - +3.3, 341min.

Their small sample size stats are impressive, but when the **** will RealGM fangirls stop making sweeping conclusions based on ridiculously small sample sizes and, most likely, statistical outliers.

Wow, I'm shocked at the disparity in minutes between POR and the other teams (although I'm assuming CHI is so low because of DRose)

92 minutes out of the 1200 (maybe more if there was OT) = 7.6% of the minutes played for OKC thus far....
Ring_Me
Rookie
And1: 587

Post#36 » by Ring_Me » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:17 pm

Whatever helps you sleep at night.
"Do not go gentle into that good night." :starwars
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#37 » by yosemiteben » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:09 pm

infinite11285 wrote:Yes they're great but.....I'm really, really tired of hearing how good they are with no title to show for it.

Don't you dare insult TOR and GSW fans like that.
sonictecture
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,081

Post#38 » by sonictecture » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:16 pm

I can't help but feel that if the title of this thread had been, The Thunder Starters are Blossoming at the Right Time, that this would be a much better thread.
greenandgold
Senior

Post#39 » by greenandgold » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:16 pm

http://dailythunder.com/2014/12/the-starters-how-the-thunder-first-five-have-become-a-menacing-lineup/#more-31368

Longer version of what I wrote about the OKC starters. Best 5-man defensive lineup in the league according to the numbers, as well as the best net rating.
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,735

Post#40 » by naabzor » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:37 pm

Well so they have the best two players in the game of basketball and the best 5 men lineup. Talking about underachieving.

Return to The General Board